You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SovietFury43

La Galissonniere just a bad ship or am i doing something wrong?

32 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,455 battles

I just can't make this ship work for the love of me.

I got her from the Scharnhorst campaign and have been trying to make something out of her since then, but with little success. She is painfully slow, has awful turret coverage, terrible gun positioning, paper thin armor, has a 9 seconds reload, long rudder shift time, bad concealment, terrible shell arcs, and only two torpedoes per side. She just overall doesn't seem like a very good ship.

The terrible turret placement, combined with the terrible turret coverage means you can almost never bring all your guns to bear on the enemy without pretty much going broadside. And since two of your three turrets are in the front, when retreating you only have 3 guns to fire at the enemy. If you try to bring your front guns to bear you have to go almost broadside and that gives literally every BB on the enemy team a hard on. And even if you do manage to get all your guns on target, your shell arcs are terrible. In other words, you have pretty much the same guns as the Cleveland, but 3 less and 1s longer reload. The torpedoes themselves are good, but with only two per side, their use is extremely limited. 

Anyone got any tips on how you are supposed to play this thing?

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,703 posts
6,727 battles

Bad turret placement? Having superfiring turrets at the front and a blistering 15 sec traverse is in my mind pretty damn good placement.

Concealment is just 1 km worse than the Cleveland but on the other hand you get 16 km of range with pretty flat arcs so there is that.

Armor is paper though, but with speedboost you can evasive tank fairly well provided you keep a bit of distance.

The guns are mainly why I enjoyed it. 9 sec reload is not great but it is manageble and you got a decent fire chance. However for some reason I found the AP to be very good, I had no problem citadeling cruisers at 12-13 km. 

Basically you need to play this ship at full speed constantly unless you find an island. Take pot shots at BB's with HE and suprise broadside cruisers with AP volleys (or BB's too for that matter). 

Players
3,939 posts
7,548 battles

Have a look at the results on Warships Today:

• worst WR% of any T6 cruiser;
  • lowest damage;
  • lowest XP;
  • lowest kills per game;
  • worst survival ratio;

and this is a fairly new line where you might expect the players to be somewhat better than the average.

First impressions (one game in co-op) are that this is a very bad ship.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
90 posts
4,176 battles

I only played her for 10 games but i averaged over 60k damage per game on her.

I played her as front line support and she does well in kiting damage while angled, keeping enemy at 12km+ ( i could say this for most cruisers lol)

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,455 battles
3 minutes ago, jcol said:

I only played her for 10 games but i averaged over 60k damage per game on her.

I played her as front line support and she does well in kiting damage while angled, keeping enemy at 12km+

How do you do that? I find that when i try to kite i show to much of my broadside trying to bring the front guns to bare, and then every BB on the enemy team tries to annihilate me.

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,986 posts
4,074 battles

La Gallisoniere is basically a worse Budyonny or De Grasse. Not much more to say about her.

She doesn't really have anything going for her compared to her competition.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,766 posts
15,190 battles

There's a reason why De Grasse is greener...:Smile-_tongue:

La Gal is a weak ship, it's not bad per se, it's just that it performs worse compared with the preceding and succeeding ships.

The Emile Bertin is fast, has troll armor, and has more torps. Algerie has better guns and range. 

What's worse the De Grasse just outperforms the La Gal in all the categories that count.

I have managed to make the La Gal work, but I would never keep her in port.

• Funny 2

[SLAPP]
Players
1,339 posts
7,460 battles

your primary role is to avoid damage. u can not tank it.

what you want to do is close in at the start of the map and turn out when unspotted then start kiting and spamming with speed.

do not try to turn when you are spotted just stop firing and try to get undetected if possible. its a ship that  just requires descent map awareness. 

[S_C]
Players
151 posts
9,742 battles

I too haven't played her much. I'll keep it to co op until I unlock the modules.

9 minutes ago, Verdius said:

La Gallisoniere is basically a worse Budyonny or De Grasse. Not much more to say about her.

She doesn't really have anything going for her compared to her competition.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind the next time take her out. Budy with a speed boost can't be bad. Can it?

[JRM]
Players
662 posts
11,026 battles

I remember mi grind throughout French  cruisers, and i did not enjoy any tier until I reached tier 8. With French cruisers most important thing is not to give up, because tier 8 Martel is best cruiser in its tier by far.  I made long ago thread dedicated to Martel being OP. https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/80435-charles-martel-is-op-dont-quit-the-grind/

In case you want to continue the grind.

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,455 battles
1 minute ago, albinbino said:

I remember mi grind throughout French  cruisers, and i did not enjoy any tier until I reached tier 8. With French cruisers most important thing is not to give up, because tier 8 Martel is best cruiser in its tier by far.  I made long ago thread dedicated to Martel being OP. https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/80435-charles-martel-is-op-dont-quit-the-grind/

In case you want to continue the grind.

Unfortunately the Martel was never built so i probably wont be getting it. How is the Algerie?

[JRM]
Players
662 posts
11,026 battles
4 minutes ago, SovietFury43 said:

Unfortunately the Martel was never built so i probably wont be getting it. How is the Algerie?

Algerie is big improvement over Galissonniere,  but mediocre in comparison to other tier 7 cruisers. But you get bigger caliber guns :) and more range. But slower rate of firing, which is typical as moving into tier 7 cruisers.  Better ship, but it could be little struggle in gameplay due to opposition from other ships.

Players
7,398 posts
9,174 battles
19 minutes ago, Stixius said:

I too haven't played her much. I'll keep it to co op until I unlock the modules.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind the next time take her out. Budy with a speed boost can't be bad. Can it?

Except La Gasoline needs Engine Boost to keep up the pace with Buddy, otherwise you're crawling at 31kts.

Players
1,329 posts

To make the french cruisers work for you I might have some tips:

- Before moving closer to the caps make sure all the enemy BBS are spotted so you know where they are.

- Use speedboost and go at max speed when you are about to start firing and you are not in cover.

- Stay at max range for the first 8-10 minutes of the game spamming HE on BBs only.

- As the amount of ships decreases during the game you can move more closely to the caps.

Keyword for the Frenchies is

1) 'kiting'. Thats their strongpoint, so USE IT. Kite, kite, kite.....

2) Speed, use it to get into good positions where you can kite and/or where you are needed for the team to deal damage. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
973 posts
10,104 battles

It is not an easy ship to play, its a late game ship, so stay alive if you can. If your team is weak, you're screwed, as its difficult to carry in it. Try to support higher tier BBs by keeping DDs off them. I find it an unpleasant ship to play.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,762 posts
3,610 battles

Personally I don't think she's a bad ship at all. Now whether I will keep her or not remains to be seen. :P

Players
309 posts
6,005 battles

La Gal is junk

Algérie is meh

Martel is also meh due to terrible T8 MM

SL I have no clue, I free XPed it, but it looked just like the Martel, so meh

The Henri is pretty good

Beta Tester
973 posts
10,104 battles

Just had a few games in it, to refresh my memory. Its shite, utter shite. It can't turn, its made of extra thin tinfoil, it can be citadel'ed from any angle. Everybody will focus on it because its easy to kill. 

In this game, the current meta, you need to survive long enough to make a difference, teams don't last long enough. Here ends my involvement with the French cruiser line. Just a pity I got the Grasse in a Santa box, its pretty meh too. Give me a Cleveland or Leander any day of the week!

[L4GG]
Players
2,038 posts
7,682 battles
2 hours ago, SovietFury43 said:

I just can't make this ship work for the love of me.

I got her from the Scharnhorst campaign and have been trying to make something out of her since then, but with little success. She is painfully slow, has awful turret coverage, terrible gun positioning, paper thin armor, has a 9 seconds reload, long rudder shift time, bad concealment, terrible shell arcs, and only two torpedoes per side. She just overall doesn't seem like a very good ship.

The terrible turret placement, combined with the terrible turret coverage means you can almost never bring all your guns to bear on the enemy without pretty much going broadside. And since two of your three turrets are in the front, when retreating you only have 3 guns to fire at the enemy. If you try to bring your front guns to bear you have to go almost broadside and that gives literally every BB on the enemy team a hard on. And even if you do manage to get all your guns on target, your shell arcs are terrible. In other words, you have pretty much the same guns as the Cleveland, but 3 less and 1s longer reload. The torpedoes themselves are good, but with only two per side, their use is extremely limited. 

Anyone got any tips on how you are supposed to play this thing?

Take your time with LaGal, it's a very good ship.

Guns? Are awesome, 152 mm, shell velocity 870 m/s vs 950m/s of Buddy's, 9s reload vs 8s of Buddy's,  so almost there.

Same punch than Buddy's guns. Low dispersion and accurate. the shell arcs are  not that bad.  

And they keep always on target, firing nonstop while you turn hard one way or another you will never miss a shot . Others can't.

Slow, well, 31 knots, with the speed booster alone you can go 35.7 knots, very good acceleration, very agile, turning circle radius 650 m, rudder 6.1s

So very capable of throwing the red ship's aim off.

Fragile thou, avoid tanking.

2x2 torps per side it's kind of hem, but they still do 9 km at 60 knots, so are better than nothing.

AA wise, it's functional, can take care of it.

I like it more than Cleveland, more capable for dd hunting, and if you need to do shoot down 10 planes kinda of mission, which ship you think I will choose?

Concealment it's good, with CE and premium camo will be slightly better than 11.2 km.

Listen, when kitting you can bring one more gun to bear against the red ship (the all three if necessary), between shots, then return to the angle position , then repeat after the red shoots and your guns are reloaded.

It was LaGal that saw me through the FNFL flag mission, It is LaGal that catches me planes, It is LaGal that still do a lot of things, a lot more than Cleveland I must add.

You remember your IFHE topic? Which of my ships I said there will be the first to have that? Yeap, non other than LaGal.

But head to head with bigger ships, just with Buddy.

Algerie it's a good ship too, with Gneise they are the best t7 I have.

The worst?

The Turd and Shchors.

Until now (t7) I can say this, the French Line it's the more reliable line in the WG 

• Cool 2

Players
309 posts
6,005 battles
10 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

You know nothing.

Budyonny makes La Gal obsolete.

Budyonny has GREAT shell arcs, La Gal has sloppy, parachute-like shell arcs.

Budyonny has pretty decent armour, La Gal has absolutely no armour

Budyonny has more range, and can actually apply its DPM at range, unlike La Gal.

Budyonny is much faster.

0 reason to pick La Gal.

Virtually garbage can material that ship.

Somebody who calls Shchors a bad ship has probably no clue anyway.

• Funny 1

[L4GG]
Players
2,038 posts
7,682 battles
2 minutes ago, Tekacko said:

You know nothing.

Budyonny makes La Gal obsolete.

Budyonny has GREAT shell arcs, La Gal has sloppy, parachute-like shell arcs.

Budyonny has pretty decent armour, La Gal has absolutely no armour

Budyonny has more range, and can actually apply its DPM at range, unlike La Gal.

Budyonny is much faster.

0 reason to pick La Gal.

Virtually garbage can material that ship.

Somebody who calls Shchors a bad ship has probably no clue anyway.

Man, just one thing about buddy.

Don't preach to the choir .

I think I just gave a bunch of reasons.

If it was not for it's guns, Shchors would be just like the Turd, a Turd, sorry, a canned turd.

Players
1,059 posts
7,761 battles

Get Concealment Expert. I'm considering using my elite cpt. xp to get my Galissoniere captain to 10 pts for the perk. I only have a couple of horrible games with the ship, so no further playing advice from me, since I'm still learning the ship myself.

• Cool 1

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,986 posts
4,074 battles
50 minutes ago, Tekacko said:

Martel is also meh due to terrible T8 MM

Martel is probably the best T8 non premium cruiser. She has great damage output, long gun range, good speed and manuevrability, at times trollish spaced armour, torps with great angles and still decent range, and no real significant weaknesses.

Out of all of the non prem T8 cruisers I think she handles being uptiered the best. It mistly just means there is more damage to be farmed for her. I have no problems racking up 100k+ damage T10 games in Martel.

Might just be me though as that ship feels like her playstyle fits me like a glove.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,624 battles

Wasn't a fan of the Glasscannonaire, grinded her out more or less completely playing the Aegis Operation (though she was plenty performant enough in for whatever that's worth, seems to have pretty good AP penetration).

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,455 battles
31 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

Take your time with LaGal, it's a very good ship.

Guns? Are awesome, 152 mm, shell velocity 870 m/s vs 950m/s of Buddy's, 9s reload vs 8s of Buddy's,  so almost there.

Same punch than Buddy's guns. Low dispersion and accurate. the shell arcs are  not that bad.  

And they keep always on target, firing nonstop while you turn hard one way or another you will never miss a shot . Others can't.

Slow, well, 31 knots, with the speed booster alone you can go 35.7 knots, very good acceleration, very agile, turning circle radius 650 m, rudder 6.1s

So very capable of throwing the red ship's aim off.

Fragile thou, avoid tanking.

2x2 torps per side it's kind of hem, but they still do 9 km at 60 knots, so are better than nothing.

AA wise, it's functional, can take care of it.

I like it more than Cleveland, more capable for dd hunting, and if you need to do shoot down 10 planes kinda of mission, which ship you think I will choose?

Concealment it's good, with CE and premium camo will be slightly better than 11.2 km.

Listen, when kitting you can bring one more gun to bear against the red ship (the all three if necessary), between shots, then return to the angle position , then repeat after the red shoots and your guns are reloaded.

It was LaGal that saw me through the FNFL flag mission, It is LaGal that catches me planes, It is LaGal that still do a lot of things, a lot more than Cleveland I must add.

You remember your IFHE topic? Which of my ships I said there will be the first to have that? Yeap, non other than LaGal.

But head to head with bigger ships, just with Buddy.

Algerie it's a good ship too, with Gneise they are the best t7 I have.

The worst?

The Turd and Shchors.

Until now (t7) I can say this, the French Line it's the more reliable line in the WG 

Oh don't worry, i will keep at it until i get the hang of her. Since i got her for free and with the premium camo (which i love the look of) i do not intend on selling her.