You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SharkMan77

A new level of ABYSMAL...

34 comments in this topic

[ICON]
Players
47 posts
15,710 battles

Greetings fellow captains.

I’m a rather new player to wows, joined last spring, and I’d like to share with you one of the “finest” battles that I’ve been part of during this time.

Now, I’m mostly a team player, I try to constantly improve my play and I sometimes have brilliant moments, but I still suffer from the occasional potatoism flu… As you might have guessed by now, this is NOT one of my finest hours, but that’s not all of it…!

So with no further delay let’s get to it. The match is a 24 player random Tier VIII, up-tiered to X, about a moth ago. I’m playing a brand new Z-46 KM DD, with just a couple games with it under my belt. The map is Sea of Fortune, domination, and my team spawns at the North side.

Game starts, strategy is laid down, BC etc. and I sail flank speed to C. (Although a bit annoying, in my battles I almost always call for support by the quick chat commands, and through typing in chat, when trying to cap.) Soooo, I arrive in cap, to be met by 2 DDs, 1 BB, and also a couple of CAs in the vicinity… I try to smoke, hydro, turn, shoot, dodge, etc. but alas succumb to the overpowering opposition and the radar. To my defense, I was new to the Z-46 and still didn’t have the hang of it, handling, turning, decelerating. NOT to my defense, that’s not an excuse for my potatoing and eating a torp… specially with hydro! SPESHUL…

1.thumb.jpg.dd4e0434bfd08e2703c44b7004620e1f.jpg

So, all in all, I died after 2 min 23 sec of the start of the match, as you can see in the screenshot, and in about 1 min of battle or less, I somehow managed to kill 1 DD, damage 1 BB and scratch the paint of another DD.

3.thumb.jpg.f604d3dea1ed3e984b7182654aca8b07.jpg

By the time I died, I realized that while I was shooting the enemies and 3 or 4 of them were shooting back at me, I never saw other friendly shells traveling over me to reach the opposition. Turning my head around, well the mouse literally, I saw my team gathering around in a circle roughly on D5, trying to take cover behind the northernmost island there!!! I let them had it in chat, and thought, “it’s just one of those battles”. Little did I knew…

I go up to get some tea, and by the time I got back, the battle was over… I had a WTF? moment! Yes after just 7 min and 26 sec it was all over.

2.thumb.jpg.13ed458a0b4374fdd4a8c7ad9f3a93e4.jpg

Well you can certainly say: I’ve seen worse! Really? Have you? And now let’s go to the “pièce de résistance”. After having played for a little over 2 min in this battle, I was the top XP player in my team… whaaaaat??? I KID YOU NOT!!!

4.thumb.jpg.8306289229b66cadff73a0f31aa12a9e.jpg

One of my worst battles, but definitely one of that made me laugh so hard, almost to tears. If you really have anything that can top this, I would LOVE to see it!

That’s all from me, hoped you enjoyed it and see you in battle.

Your friendly SharkMan77

P.S. I don’t have video, but I do have the replay file, although it’s not usable now… I wish I could have a screenshot of my chat after 3 min in battle, when I said to my team that they suck, and if they continued like this I may well turn out to be (meant just as a sad joke at the moment) the top XP player… I swear to you, I KID YOU NOT!!!

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles

Unfortunately this isn't as rare as one would probably think.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
19,518 posts
12,247 battles

No surprise. You killed an Tier X DD singlehandedly.

Some people do not manage that in a whole game.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,648 posts
8,132 battles

You may want to checkout this quality Thread:

Be careful though. It can lead to a sinking depressing feeling if you take in too much.....

[ONE2]
Players
2,928 posts
17,207 battles

Sith happens dude, in my shortest game. I was out in my Mogami and desperately trying to dodge incoming hail of shells from seemingly every enemy ship. It was only 5 minutes and 45sec into the game so i thought: "For God's sakes don't they have anyone else to shoot at?" :Smile_hiding:

Well, it turns out that they didn't, since my last other team mate had recently died... I just missed the ominous "You are our last hope - Announcement" in my panic. I did not survive long past the 6 minute mark either, 6min 15 sec. Got a few lucky torp hits on my pursuers and 1 kill but that was it. We lost 12 to 3 in the end. Not a very good game obviously. :cap_fainting:

This battle is the reason I activated replays in Wows, I would love to find out WTF just happened.:Smile_ohmy:

Players
1,441 posts
9,951 battles

I had a similar game in my Shimakaze. I sank 3 ships, Kurfurst with 8/15 torps at 7k then an enemy Kharba with 2 torps by mistake (Double strike) and a Yamato with a 75k 1 torpedo devastating strike, first time ever for a 1 shot Yamato kill, on the next reload. I capped A then B alone. We had 11 ships to their 6 at that point... However, every ship was nowhere near any cap zones... Moved from B intending to cap D as C was occupied and whilst watching the movements of the enemy Gearing moving out of C I missed the Missouri until he was on me.. Got 6 torps into him before he blew me to scrap.. So anyway the Missouri looks pretty poorly and we still have 10/6 advantage and at that point 2/4 cap zones.. The other DD had gone down in the first 3 minutes insanely trying to cap C.. I go to make a Coffee thinking the game is won at 9 minutes... Couldn't be more wrong.. Game ended in defeat.. Our 10 ships were gone for 3 enemy... Enemy Gearing getting a Kraken by game end... And the enemy Missouri survived too... Super Potato ? heads.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,250 posts
13,184 battles

Well, typical outcome when MM decides to put superunicorns only on one team and couple of 'I'm new to the game and I just bought Tirpitz!' on other...

And your battle is perfect example of just that. It's fine. Ships happen.

What is abysmal is what happens in each battle... People AFK'ing, suiciding, humptydumpting happily in their ships asking "What is Hydro" (I had a Bismarck captain I had to explain how manual secondaries work...), u-turning moment they see the enemy, ignoring caps (like entire teams herding themselves to one spot in front of the cap and sitting there for the rest of the game), second line torping ships outside their torpedo range and HE'ing the s*** out of enemy broadsides...

You know. Daily bread stuff. That's terrifying....

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
2,260 posts
11,030 battles
2 hours ago, SharkMan77 said:

of my worst battles, but definitely one of that made me laugh so hard, almost to tears.

You must indeed be quite new. Soon, you will only have the tears left...

• Funny 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,928 posts
17,207 battles

Well, since I am now trying to learn how to Mogami - I must admit I have gained a brand new appreciation towards BB's who spam only HE. :Smile_smile: I mean bring it on! Please. :Smile_great:

Players
1,304 posts
10,461 battles
2 hours ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Sith happens dude, in my shortest game. I was out in my Mogami and desperately trying to dodge incoming hail of shells from seemingly every enemy ship. It was only 5 minutes and 45sec into the game so i thought: "For God's sakes don't they have anyone else to shoot at?" :Smile_hiding:

Well, it turns out that they didn't, since my last other team mate had recently died... I just missed the ominous "You are our last hope - Announcement" in my panic. I did not survive long past the 6 minute mark either, 6min 15 sec. Got a few lucky torp hits on my pursuers and 1 kill but that was it. We lost 12 to 3 in the end. Not a very good game obviously. :cap_fainting:

This battle is the reason I activated replays in Wows, I would love to find out WTF just happened.:Smile_ohmy:

Eeeek?

Players
267 posts
14,161 battles
13 hours ago, SharkMan77 said:

If you really have anything that can top this, I would LOVE to see it!

Challenge accepted.

I had this game a few days ago on the Shards map. You know the one, where the north team gets superior cover at C cap and the south team at A cap, so that the strategy could not be more obvious. So, what happens?

Spoiler

200in.png.af2475b05e6a0a92827e9a360cf8d287.png

2 minutes into the game, destroyers have moved to cap A and B. There is no opposition at B, and only a single enemy Myoko over at A. But where are all our cruisers and battleships going? Certainly not to support their destroyers, what were you thinking!

Spoiler

915in.png.dda116a86a6e0ed04e709b9997627f41.png

9 minutes and 15 seconds into the game it ends. Our lonely destroyer at A was spotted and sunk by the Myoko, with no one to help him. I put five torpedoes into an enemy battleship that pushed into B, but I had no friends either who could have burned him to death after he repaired the flooding. So what were all our cruisers and battleships doing? They sank two destroyers between them. They never captured C, never even contested it.

I dare you to show me a worse team on this map. Or any map really.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,329 posts
16,508 battles
6 minutes ago, Rosletyne said:

I dare you to show me a worse team on this map. Or any map really.

On 1/11/2017 at 7:41 PM, El2aZeR said:

Hide contents

dat_defeat.jpg

On 8/19/2017 at 10:19 PM, El2aZeR said:
  Hide contents

Desktop_08.19.2017_-_22.10.00.05.png

Desktop_08.19.2017_-_22.10.08.06.png

Desktop_08.19.2017_-_22.10.18.07.png

Desktop_08.19.2017_-_22.10.27.08.png

On 12/9/2017 at 12:17 AM, El2aZeR said:

Reveal hidden contents

World_of_Warships_Screenshot_2017.12.08_

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,615 battles

Never underestimate in the ingenuity of idiots when it comes to their capacity to fail.

It's no coincidence that it's practically considered impossible to make anything idiotproof.

• Cool 1

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
31 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

snip

was looking at your first SS and then wondered what kind of magic is that.. where is the damage... then noticed the date...

Players
934 posts
4,297 battles

I was playing my Leander the other day, made a complete fluff-up right at the start of the battle and went down having inflicted a total of 6,061 damage. I somehow still managed to finish second on my team but it's not much of an achievement to point at the rest of the team when I played so poorly in the first place.

Players
4,389 posts
8,013 battles
5 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Corrected that for you

I wanted to mark your correction "funny", but while hovering over it, pictures of what Ive witnessed this week came to my mind: A full HP Minotaur fighting a 80 HP Z-52. 2 sec reload, 10 guns, ~10km distance. You take the guess which one died. No, your correction isnt funny - its the sad reality.

[OCTO]
Players
996 posts
19,120 battles
6 hours ago, Strappster said:

I was playing my Leander the other day, made a complete fluff-up right at the start of the battle and went down having inflicted a total of 6,061 damage. I somehow still managed to finish second on my team but it's not much of an achievement to point at the rest of the team when I played so poorly in the first place.

The scary part is that this happens in Ranked at tiers 5-10. Yesterday I had two Ranked battles like that. Neighbors was one that I remember well, where I went to cap in Kidd and after damaging two DDs, went down (Damn f..ing OP Lo Yang who can hydro you from miles, while in smoke.... :Smile_sceptic:). They were properly supported by their team. 

Then I looked to see why I got no support  (although plan was discussed and upfront agreed in chat) and I saw.... Chapayev at usual  domination mode A spawn, as far from battle as he could be. Benson on a leisure cruise with no intention to cap. BBs hiding behind island on C spawn, while being farmed by Edin in smoke and third DD.  

When I mentioned (reasonably politely) in chat what I think about their support, I was told that I am a noob and that is important to stay alive. And that is ladies and gentlemen, the Ranked tier 5-10 game.... 

Do I need to say that the team went down faster than a lead baloon and that I kept star?

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Na, my best is doing 30k damage in a Saipan and losing a Standard battle in minutes. I came top of that game... 

I'm not sure how a Standard game is lost that fast.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,617 posts
12,074 battles
9 hours ago, Aotearas said:

It's no coincidence that it's practically considered impossible to make anything idiotproof.

RN BBs? :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 2

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
10 hours ago, Rosletyne said:

I had this game a few days ago on the Shards map. You know the one, where the north team gets superior cover at C cap and the south team at A cap, so that the strategy could not be more obvious.

A bit besides the point of the thread, but you're wrong, it's the other way 'round. North spawn has clear line of sight/fire into A (with enemy unable to support it due to terrain blocking their view and line of fire). Situation is reversed at C. This makes the strategy anything BUT obvious, because the typical push (South team to C and North to A) runs against the terrain advantage and is based solely on proximity - despite terrain being in favor of the enemy, the closest DDs are so close that it's extremely hard for the enemy to disrupt the capping process.

• Cool 2

[ICON]
Players
47 posts
15,710 battles

I found this little gem to add. Not seriously competing with my original post of course, but a nice one nevertheless.

Elusive targets running away,  but I brawled as much as I had the opportunity... and...

20170919_174803_PGSB109-Friedrich-der-Grosse_40_Okinawa_FFF.thumb.jpg.e5815a1d1e7a3785cac8b4787bc54f90.jpg

The last achievement icon says it all!

(At least I played a full match, cause playing less than 3 min and being top XP can't be matched for ABYSMAL.)