You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
nambr9

Tears Of The Desert Map - Rework

20 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
2,911 posts
7,793 battles

26850528_1998066997186304_84531474203324

From WoWS DEV FB:

"Changed the "Tears of the Desert" map for tier IX-X battles: extra cover is added to the center and along the flanks, team positions are moved to southwest and northeast, battle zone is decreased."

What do you think?

• Cool 1

[THROW]
Players
579 posts
21,161 battles

I can see this map being a big problem for positioning carriers. Cvs cannot go to one of the Islands on the left or right as it is extremely easy to flank there without much resistance and both island off to the side are within shooting range of the enemy spawn. Therefore the only hope carriers have of maximising their plane turn around speeds is if their team steamrolls one side of the map and it is completely safe for them to push with the team. Otherwise it has to stay near the back of the map in open waters very far away from the battle which will reduce its turn around times and therefore its damage potential and fighter reloads to assist the team.

[TTT]
Players
4,115 posts
7,848 battles

while I dont see how this absolute clusterfudge of a map could possibly have gotten any worse, that there looks like a massive improvement that I might actually be really happy to see pop up for a random. Here's hoping for some decently varied island geometry to make it even more interesting, but I am already looking forward to it!

Beta Tester
1,909 posts
6,248 battles

It's waaay better than the current one, 

personally i would just bim the map, easy fix, 

but the way you reworked it, looks like a massive improvement over the current one, nice work :Smile_honoring:

(wg time to start fixing TotD) 

Players
961 posts
4,972 battles

Don't like it. For one the northern side looks like it has better/faster to reach cover. Then I don't like clustering islands in the middle of the map. Those make life hard on cruisers with flat arcs, as well as torpedo boats which become more easily trapped. Oh and not to mention bbs entering maximum brave sir Robin Mode and not going anywhere near the centre. Also, this is the standard battle map. The domination one would be way more interesting. 

I just hope they kept those islands rather narrow. Don't need any more parking spaces for minos and desmos.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

On paper it looks like a good re-design.

In reality I think it'll fail.

Just like Haven, all the low skill and the clueless will simply skate around the edges and never go into the middle to take any risks. 

[SNUBS]
Players
1,293 posts
6,853 battles

this is one i look forward to ! 

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,228 posts
14,454 battles
2 hours ago, Mr_Snoww said:

I can see this map being a big problem for positioning carriers.

Honestly, I don't. It just makes managing your positioning in relation to your concealment more important.

(Which is something the average player is incapable of doing but hey, that ain't my problem. :Smile_trollface:)

• Cool 1

[THROW]
Players
579 posts
21,161 battles
4 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Honestly, I don't. It just makes managing your positioning in relation to your concealment more important.

(Which is something the average player is incapable of doing but hey, that ain't my problem. :Smile_trollface:)

I am more than capable im just stating a fact

Players
2,160 posts

CV positioning is far from the biggest issue with any map, especially at high tiers, not like they're immobile and not like they have poor concealment. I disagree that it's a "fact" seems to be opinion to me.

This map looks an improvement on paper we will have to see how it plays and if it's still a nightmare for cruisers especially. Assuming they retain Epicentre mode it could be quite interesting and hopefully a lot less boring.

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Didn't have that much problems in the first place. Except for epicenter for which this map I find the least suiting. And I still do looking at the new lay out.

One vast improvement would be the spawn position. I don't like if I'm feeling USS Voyager having to sail 75k LY before I meet someone.

Players
486 posts
10,843 battles

I always disliked Tears of the cruisers  (since I'm a CA/DD player mainly) and indeed especially on epicenter. So this looks like a good improvement. 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,413 posts
7,851 battles

Much better....

Still I think there are ways to further improve it.

The first thing i see is that i would make the most central island strech out way more to the south-east so that the gap in which you can spot from one cap to the other is much smaller. This would also take away some pain from the epicenter mode on this map.

Also some small islands left and right (outside) of each cap would be good.

Players
2,160 posts
On 1/16/2018 at 7:56 AM, Ferry_25 said:

Didn't have that much problems in the first place. Except for epicenter for which this map I find the least suiting. And I still do looking at the new lay out.

One vast improvement would be the spawn position. I don't like if I'm feeling USS Voyager having to sail 75k LY before I meet someone.

I guess you rarely play cruisers on the current map then, it's very ugly or incredibly boring as the massive open spaces make cruisers easy meat to BB guns. To DD's it can be very annoying too.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles
3 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

I guess you rarely play cruisers on the current map then, it's very ugly or incredibly boring as the massive open spaces make cruisers easy meat to BB guns. To DD's it can be very annoying too.

Nah. I played plenty of cruisers on that map. Heck I played an epic game on it with the T8 French cruiser: I supported 2 t10 BB's on it. We played not by the book and tanked the flank. Every opposition we obliterated. When we met BB's: my teammates tanked in and I kited around and support harassed He spammed them. They went on point and I fell back. Until we met a DD (Russian t10( IIRC)). That's when it was my turn to take point and them fall back. We annihilated him/ her too. Me mostly, because that was my job. It's not the cruisers who are having problems on this map: it's the lack of teamplay. Massive open spaces aren't the problem either. It's the ego playstyle. A cruiser is a support ship. Not more, not less. Either you charge in and wreck the water rats of fall back and harass the BB's. Yes you might get a lucky RNG cursed BB shell on long range, but when played well, you'll return the favor in dmg OT. (still not counting RN cruisers as a ship, let alone a cruiser in this matter: IMO they are still boats, whirling pingpong balls).

This map is IMO awesome. Just not for epi center.

[NWP]
Players
4,385 posts
6,242 battles

I never understood why many ppl seem to hate epicenter on this map... Standard battle is 100x times worse, basicly noone is moving anywhere.

The question is only: Which team is willing to support his DDs more? Which is basicly followed by: Are the DDs willing to take the Center? We had a Shima just 2 days ago who said, he wont cap center because of all the Radar -> 2 Missouri and one DM. Missouris were left flank, while DM actually tried to support the center, but our team made him retreat and kill him. But our Shima still did managed to get himselfkilled by plain overextending and pushing beyond any help we could provide. Still we won, cause we got the initial DD kill. 2 RU DDs never could recover from that - and they played badly to begin with.