High Level Torpedo Discussion

16 comments in this topic

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Hai all...

Let's talk about how to torp the enemy like a pro.

I'm still sucky at it and it's the worst aspect of my game other than CVs. This season of Ranked is forcing me to think and improve however.

From what I know:

Torping stuff sailing away is a waste of time.

Torping stuff at the extremity of your range also tends to be a waste unless you're area denying.

Torping stuff heading straight for you is also a waste as even BBs will dodge your fishes.

For me, the time I should torp is often too early. Need to wait for it to get juicy.

I've also found that you should not fire all tubes at once unless it's point blank. Always fire a salvo, wait and see then adjust.

Put yourself in the enemies shoes. Sometimes your torping is actually really obvious from their perspective. Often better to torp when your team is occupying them with gunfire.

Use the prediction indicator as a very rough guide. Look at the map and think how they'll adjust then predict accordingly.

I think the optimal torp angle is whilst the enemy advances towards you but you're at one side to them. It's like shooting someone broadside except with a delay.

As stated at the start I'm really not an expert at the metal fishes. Would be good to have some input from some who are good with them...

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
15,926 posts
11,172 battles

The problem is you do not know if you have a smart or incompetent enemy before you.

With a smart enemy you have to anticipate his movements. But if he is incompetent, your torpedos will miss.

With an incompetent enemy, you just use the prediction line. But you will miss if he changes course.

To be sure, you have to mix your approach, which results in a low number of hits at best.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
Just now, ColonelPete said:

The problem is you do not know if you have a smart or incompetent enemy before you.

With a smart enemy you have to anticipate his movements. But if he is incompetent, your torpedos will miss.

With an incompetent enemy, you just use the prediction line. But you will miss if he changes course.

To be sure, you have to mix your approach, which results in a low number of hits at best.

Yeah it's coming out a game with only a few torp hits even though you might have worked your @$$ off that can be demoralising.

Also I've nuked complete potatoes and teammates have asked "lol did you throw everything at the marker?!" with "lel.." or something similar as my reply.

[MIRAI]
Players
160 posts
8,047 battles

If you see an enemy smoke (and a recently placed one that is) you simply torp it, unless you have better targets.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

I am quite bad with torpedoes as well. I tend to land more torps with my Atlanta than with my Fletcher. 

So I'll be watching this thread. 

[NFS]
Players
437 posts
12,936 battles

Hello,

I did quite well in the japanese DDs with torping by launching the torps with the close pattern at sort of broadside targets in front of and behind the indicator, mostly with some sort of overlapping of the salvos direct on the indicator. Chance is high that you score some hits even if the target is using WASD-hacks to some extend. Works great on battleships and ok with cruisers. Destroyers I only torp in a knife-fight or by luck in smoke, that being a complete different story.

Greetings

Karl

[POP]
Players
342 posts
7,972 battles

Some minor tips that I've noticed to work more often than blind shooting at the marker:

-If the enemy lemming trains, don't shoot the first one. He knows there's torps coming and dodges like h*ll. Shoot the second or third in line.

-If there's an island nearby of the marker wait a bit. Wait until the marker passes the island and then shoot. The island acts as a funnel forcing the target to have an increased likelihood of having a date with the torps.

-Always shoot smoke. Smoke visuals differ from the actual smoke. The actual smoke is somewhat smaller than the visual presentation of the smoke. In order to cover the whole smoke you don't have to shoot from end to end of the visual smoke.

-When shooting a straightlining-BB I do what Karl_567 does.

-Learn where BBs and cruisers like to flock. Shoot torps there.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

I've found that any torps with a range of 10km or more benefit from Torp Acceleration.

You shouldn't be firing from extreme range anyway and the extra speed boost will help to catch people out. It's especially funny on high level PA DDs but folk tell me it's excessive :cap_rambo:

Also shooting a BB just before your torps get into range will crush the potatoes as they think they can shoot you instead of focusing on dodging :cap_haloween:

[UNICS]
Players
356 posts
5,050 battles

TA generates other issues though.
Guess what will happen once any potato with radar sees DD torps. :cap_rambo:

[UNICS]
Players
61 posts
17,271 battles
Am 15.1.2018 um 17:53, Fubucky sagte:

If you see an enemy smoke (and a recently placed one that is) you simply torp it,

make sure its an enemy smoke and you dont torp your own DD.  we all have seen it and we all have sufferd from friendly torps.

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
284 posts
14,132 battles

Until started play T9 and T10 PA DDs was my torpedo damage in high tier DD battles very really very irregular (especially some battles with Shima were torpedo-less - no success thanks to vissibility of torps) - but Yueyang is amazing beast...

yueyang-07.jpg

yueyang-06.jpg

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

I'd like to think of myself as at least a decent torpedo boat player. I can do reasonably well reasonably consistently. The pointers I follow are roughly:

• Always try to get as close as safely possible. What's safe depends a lot on circumstances, like enemy DDs, CV, and radar ships. If none of those are around, you don't really have an excuse to torp from longer than 500 m outside your detectability range. While there are many long-range torps, that extra range is for additional opportunities, not a suggestion for where you should torp from.
  • Try to find a good angle. Broadsides are good, and remember that most players will avoid showing broadsides to your BBs. Most of the time your targets sail at about 30° relative to your allies. If you're to the side of your allies, and the enemies point towards (or especially away) you, you should probably relocate. If they point sideways from you, you're in a good position.
  • If there are multiple targets, try to see if you find multiple targets you can potentially hit with one salvo. It only raises your hit chance.
  • Learn when to use all launchers and when to use just one (or two), and when to use the TRB. This is one of the hardest lessons to learn, and there are no shortcuts to it, just experience. It's usually fewer than people mostly use, though. When in doubt, just use one launcher, as that will at least teach you when that's enough. If you have a relatively safe target, use one and wait about half a minute, then fire the rest. If both salvos hit, you probably have a flooding kill.
  • Islands attract ships just as much as smoke does. Even if the indicator suggests otherwise, aiming just past an island often yields good results. Especially if it's a favourite camping spot like the islands around A on Trap.
  • If you have other potential targets, don't bother with trying to hit destroyers. They rarely sail in straight lines, and they're good at dodging. There are exceptions, like in one-on-one fights, but as a rule save your torps for larger ships.
  • Most targets you shoot at will turn the moment you fire your torpedoes. That's life. Deal with it.
  • Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,199 posts
14,454 battles
4 hours ago, AnotherDuck said:

Most targets you shoot at will turn the moment you fire your torpedoes. That's life. Deal with it.

While this is indeed a sad reality of DD play, it should be noted that Priority Target only shows the number of people locked on you with guns, not with torps. If you know there is a DD in the area and PT switches from 0 to 1, it's a fairly safe assumption that there are fishes in the water out to greet you.

So as a DD don't immediately switch to guns after you've launched a spread unless you absolutely have to.

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
3 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

While this is indeed a sad reality of DD play, it should be noted that Priority Target only shows the number of people locked on you with guns, not with torps. If you know there is a DD in the area and PT switches from 0 to 1, it's a fairly safe assumption that there are fishes in the water out to greet you.

Most players don't act on that, in my experience, altough most of the time I don't pay attention to my torps, since I've usually got other things to do. On the other hand, if I'm torping, I tend to sail around with torpedoes active regardless. And sometimes I go back and forth just to mess with people, especially when I don't fire torpedoes, just to gauge their reaction.

[POI--]
[POI--]
Players
281 posts
7,661 battles

Torpedoes are generally fired in bursts, as you said; never fire all at once unless A. You expect to die very soon B. You are point blank and NEED to fire all of them to guarantee the kill. I find that keeping a reserve tube in IJN ships like the Yūgumo, and Shimakaze, may have a direct impact on your Damage output, but boy is it useful for catching that gearing/ Russian dd rushing you a good ol smack in the face, helping to balance the playing field of your very sub-par guns .

Also, firing at a head on target isn't all bad, fire so as that each tube intercepts the gap between another tube, therefore creating a solid un - dodge - able wall. (keep in mind this wont work at longer ranges..) firing at targets running away can actually be beneficial, you can force them to turn in a direction not originally intended by them and force them into a bad position where your teammates can kill them (you wont get kills this way, and once again long ranges pose an issue here)

My biggest problem with torpedoes, as mentioned here, is whether the individual i am facing is a good player or not, a lot of the time i miss BECAUSE they are bad players, i expect them to turn frequently or react to a threat, so i fire accordingly, only to see them sail on in a straight line with 0 thought given. Overall they are very hard to use, but are useful in so many more ways than just damage alone;  Simply firing a spread into a smokescreen will easily flush out anyone hiding in there (this is something you should also keep in mind yourself, always pointing your nose in an expected torpedo threat's  direction.) or denying enemy the ability to move onto a cap by "torpedo walling" it.

Overall they are very high skill cap weapons; often more dependent on the enemy's skill at dodging and map awareness than the skill of the user, but boy, i'd never give up my 1 shot torpedo salvos on full Health Battleships for anything!

EDIT: and i forgot, try to get to know the hydro range of anything you may be facing, that way you have a  jist for what to watch out for (what ships you should never try and torp against). Find a hydro ship, fire 1 tube, Pay attention to them, if they seem to see the torpedoes coming, wait a bit and then once you know the hydro has ran out, then fire off another round.

Edited by __Poi__

Sign in to follow this