Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

World of Warships, 1.5 years later

7 comments in this topic

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

This post took 1.5 yrs to write. Usually they only take 15 mins.

Just joking. But this post is about playing World of Warships again after 1.5 years.

So using the "motivation" from the WG return-please email earlier, and for research on the CV overhaul, I played WoWs again. The installer was a breeze to use. I decided not to use any mods. (Later on I will regret missing some of my favourite ship-skins. But mostly it was ok, since the aim-scope designs and smoke-edges were (mostly) integrated in the game. A de-fogger probably would've helped my already bad lack-of-practice aiming. And a last-seen-position mod, if still allowed, definitely would've helped with my map awareness.)

This experience was interesting, because an interesting thought experiment is "if we gave a newcomer a fully loaded account, with lots of flags, T10s, and premiums, would they enjoy the game?". As there are practical concerns to that setting, such as if they would know what all the consumables do, if the enemy ship is a BB or CA (you wouldn't believe some of the game reviewers out there), and most importantly, how to not set up a troll-build ship.

So this is where I come in. I was once a good WoWs player, had experience in every class all the way to T10, and enjoyed the game. I would at least be able to tell my bow from my stern, and know what being on fire and being flooded while losing my rudder meant, all at the same time, without having to panic or count each debuff icon separately.

So for the first game I decided to go easy. I hopped right in a T4 BB Arkansas Beta, and spent a few minutes panicking in chat trying to find the perma-alt button setting, while figuring out the rest of the settings, all the while dodging a CV who was insistent on striking me (not my fault the Arkansas has 0 AA, literally). The planes at that tier was slower than Torpedoes, and the Arkansas had a surprisingly small turn-circle, so I dodged about 3 full strikes while only eating 1 torp. Unfortunately, because T4-5 planes were so slow, the friendly CV could only reach me in time to nab the enemy planes on their way out. The match was largely uneventful besides a lucky cit on some random CL (CLs get it hard at that tier), and flanking a T5 BB with some new-BB-I-cannot-pronounce (probably a Kriegsmarine one). Used HE on the T5 since I was dying anyways, and the friendly BB finished it off. Team won easily because they won a flank and enemy team lost initiative (some enemy ships had to double back and Def, so whatever push there was on the other flank nothing came of it).

This emboldened me to try a higher tier. I tried a T7-Amagi (think it was called Kii), another premium. Match was less eventful, as it was a double CV match. Aka. terror of the skies x2, ships randomly getting sent back to port on both sides, and the beginning of lots-of-camping meta. 

And lots of camping there was, even after I started T10. Objectives? Was only there for DDs to die for, while rest of the ships stayed at a comfortable arm's length. Many times I died because I was trying to be close enough to pressure a point or two, and because I was close, I got focused. Sitting behind mountains was even more important than I ever remembered, but I got stuck on the side of a mountain at least twice because I forgot the optimal patrol-routes per ship class, and was a bit unpracticed in sailing. My conclusion was that if a game was about to be lost, unless you were highly Unicum, don't even attempt to reverse the tides by yourself. You'll only end up dying a non-heroic death. Follow the mob which your team, even if they all congress on one side while leaving a whole flank open and whoever went that side to die, because unlikely you'll be able to make another difference just going there alone, or worse, end up turn-tail and running, wasting lots of time and dying anyways while doing little. 

In my T10 BB games, it was either very uneventful with occasional potshots connecting, or lots of wasted time dodging TBs, then the wrong flank, then vision-blocked by island, or sitting too far back camping unconsciously (only by a few km, but that still meant you were behind lesser ships who probably needed you to tank), and wishing one had enough utility to actually contest caps. In the games as cruisers, it was either trying to move up to cover DDs but being spotted and deleted soon enough, or moving around until you got boxed in to a bad angle and could only sail in the same angle until ran close enough to enemy to die anyways, or sitting far back enough to never be in much danger, but never doing as much either. Whenever I was an AA BB there was no CV in my games, and whenever I was an AA CA the enemy wouldn't even strike near me, but on both sides of me just outside my AA range so I could only get there in time to delete the planes on their way out. When I played DD it was pretty bad, as I was either too chicken to engage gunboat DDs as torp DD, or dying as Gearing to surprise 2xGearing 1xFletcher and Baltimore within 10 seconds of approaching cap (enemy DD lost half health but was not a good trade). The DD followed me just said nope and ran away. Other times I'd sit behind a corner and contest cap permanently until I died (because as mentioned before, team just sends in the DDs, but seldom really cares for them).

There was one game in Des Moines where I noticed a T10 Russian DD (the new one even more gunboat than Khabarovsk), having fire-rates and good projectile arcs of a cruiser, but fast and hard-to-hit as a DD (whole team just ignored it to fire on more juicy targets, it got free-farm for the whole game, even ended up killing me in a long-range shootout though I definitely took at least 1/4 of its health in that phase alone.) Totally balanced. Another game, I was on the same team as a former clan member. That was an early game which I got boxed in and died too soon as a cruiser. Clan member used Conqueror, stayed far back enough to be perma-safe, fired HE perma-relaxed, stayed alive all the way through late-game like a good ships should be (unlike me), and totally convinced me that the Conqueror was as balanced as that Russian DD. Imagine a BB who didn't even have to worry about distinction between HE and AP, while also having good AA and good tankiness. Also, Tirpitz was as noob-friendly as ever, with its insane turret turn-rates and good handling (for a BB). It was a pleasant surprise to have, just like that Kii. Someone knows what I'm talking about.

I tried Midway and Haku once each, but because of lack of practice, and me Chickening out on AS Haku and trying strike Haku, I lost both games to Midways with AP bombs. I now understand why everyone says Midway is more superior. Because it is. 2x7 fighters, small-circle AP bombsx2x7, 2 TB squads (like, wtf, with similar logic Haku should get 4 TB and equally large reserves). In my memory, Midway was 2/1/2 without AP. 2/2/2 even without AP would have been strong. 2/2/2 with AP is just overkill. Team didn't yell at me, but I would've deserved it. Even though on the second game 2 DDs beached themselves consecutively and gave enemy Midway lots of TB hits. I tried my 2 beloved T10 CVs only once each. I didn't even want to try my favourite AS Haku. This is saying something on the quality of the CV experience. (Though lack of Haku skin might have uniquely been part of the effect, in this case.) I have no premium CVs.

So, on topic of premiums. Because I just returned for this once, I didn't have a premium account. This meant the difference between what would have been a gain in T10 now only breaking even, and what would have been broke even, now a loss. The (what you would have gained with premium) was just rubbing it more in my face. I instinctively played a bit more premium ships, even though I had ample stores of credits to last me at least through this session, and didn't have to spend much on equipment and consumables as I either had ample stores of those as well, or had my ships already fully decked out. However, this was a major factor in my lack of motivation to keep playing at all. If I knew it would only be a downwards struggle from there on, and since my love of the game was less than what I'd want to buy premium for, I hardly even seriously considered farming a new ship line, or even keep on playing my T10s and premiums. Even though I witnessed the OP-ness in some of the new ships. Now imagine what the perma-potato player would think. A player who was even less passionate for the game, or had less of a golden-age experience of WoWs as I did. Or a player who was even more fickle, demanding, short-tempered, and hard-to-please than I am. And pretty much every player without a rich account with many things to play around with. To be honest, even with a premium account, I had to grind and farm to re-buy ships specifically for clan-battles. Now imagine what the non-premium player would feel like, after working their [edited]off for just one T10 line. I'd say fk it too. And never to return. In fact, this was what happened to me and WoT, which in all accounts is a great game, probably even better than WoWs (no difficulty in aiming, just point and shoot, for one). Yet, I only made it to about T5-7 before saying fk-it. And the only reason I even played WoT was because I heard WoWs was coming out, and wanted to pre-grind some free-exp and buy some gold for WoWs too. Imagine what I felt when I heard doubloons and gold are non-shareable, and non-refundable, and exp-scales in WoWs is fundamentally different from WoT too, so free-exp is not shared either. Imagine what I felt towards WG as a company, even back then too. ...... I think I'd better stop.

So here I was. A spoiled account with T10s from every class, premiums in every tier range. More flags and consumables than I could ever use, and getting even more free supplies from WG in form of containers (I was quite lucky, in 4 containers I got camos, flags, and 2x doubloons). We didn't get free doubloon containers back in my day, WG being so non-stingy, that would have been unthinkable. Enough resources stockpiled to last a good while, probably even get a new ship-line if I decided to spend it all. A welcoming clan. A top-performing clan. Unicum knowledge, experience, and still some of the awareness. What else could one ever want?

To win? What would that prove? I have argued from multiple perspectives that, even without the completely cynical perspectives, how it is but one amongst all things. Yet even win I did. Among all the classes I played, the only class which I performed close to the performance level of 1.5 yrs ago, and the only time I got top exp in my team, was in Zao. Zao was my second favourite ship back then, first being Haku and third Gearing. Just HE without thinking. All-rounded surviveability, maneuverability, even AA barrage when necessary. It even had good torps. There was even one time I decided to contest a cap versus another DD and a BB already in it, while the 2 healthy Edinburghs were shivering from fear in their smoke just outside the cap circle, and no amount of coaxing could make them come close, even as my HP kept thinking. Eventually I "drifted" my Zao into cap (by almost sailing "sideways", turning but suddenly reversing rudder just as ship was about to come out of the turn, so perma-drifting into cap while angled towards enemy ships to increase surviveability), hid behind a rock, and enemy DD eventually chickened out. This would not have been doable in, say, Des Moines with its cardboard armour and fat stern. That was the only memorable cap-gain experience for all of my games in this session. So, 2 good Zao games. Now I understand why so many people say CA is their favourite ship. T10 CAs really are a beast.

Yet even that was not enough to entice me to return. (Like I said, it definitely has a none-trivial amount to do with the lack of modded ship-skins. WG really needs to sponsor the modders more.) I couldn't remember the general-pre-ranging amounts for each ship and their varying artillery. I couldn't find or remember the general lead-markers to adhere to on the aiming-scope-layout I was used to playing with. Whenever I tried to play the game as the game design prompted me to (i.e. contest the obvious objective here), my score and my score and "reward" returns convinced me otherwise. Having prior experience helped, but in some cases, that just served to confound me more, making me ask even more questions, especially the more in-depth and specific knowledge-dependent ones. Most of my ship setups were for habits highly specialized and skill/knowledge-demanding too, which were not helpful for the returner's skill level. Most matches felt too short, too chaotic, or too sudden-death. While WG being less stingy and giving us normal container drops was significantly a good thing, it felt too random and just another kind of "cheek", like the "with premium compare screen you will never use". As I once said, while it may be a good idea in general to give players "rewards", even advocated quite commonly back then too, doing so in such a mobile-gambling way was not to my taste after I had time to think around it, and it turns out that after this session, I did feel it was less significant than if the gifts had been given with a reason, e.g. seasonal gifts, holiday celebratory, mission rewards and campaign event drops, and most memorably, added up and given in one big chunk, like this "returners gift" from WG which enticed me to try out game again after all. Unfortunately, the inherent flaws, critical failures of the game were still present, and which I would rest most of my blame on, and the golden-era was ever more wispy, gone with time. Just like how long-timers used to reminiscent about the closed-beta experience compared to public release too.

This is just a second-day memory impression. I skipped the first-day immediate impressions, so lots of valuable data lost there. I am really sorry. I'll also come back later and see if I can remember more, or remember some good points and possible conclusions and revelations for WoWs later. Maybe re-organize and elaborate on some of the stuff here too. I definitely will, as I get boxed-in to the logic of whatever I am writing at the moment too much. It's a bad trait borne out of bad habits (like pathological lying, in which you have to convince even yourself in the moment, by "willfully" "forgetting" "things".)

Like I said, I am really sorry.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,778 posts
8,909 battles

Seems like it's kind of a whiplash effect of playing very seriously (hardcore?) before you left and then coming back to it with that general mindset, but due to being away from the game for a long time not being able to just pick back up where you left off.

Maybe you don't even enjoy playing anymore?

I have experienced this several times in other games and the only thing which has managed to save it for me in that situation, is playing with friends.

World of Warcraft, World of Tanks, RIFT etc. When you take a break and then decide to give it another go it's naturally a lot harder to do so. And if you were losing interest in the game before you left, then it's even harder.

[KVOR]
Alpha Tester
1,102 posts
2,609 battles

A lot to read, but it retells pretty much the impression i get every time i "want to give it another try". Hopefully, WG manages to read this and realizes something. It will take more than just some premium goodies to motivate "returning players" for a long time undertaking...

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
1,824 posts
5,128 battles

Good read. Interesting perspective of the game, and very accurate for most returnees I'm sure.
Do you have friends/clan to play with?

Divisions are still fun in this God forsaken game.

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

Thanks for all the support people. This time I really, really am sorry, because I was too tired and skipped the first-day, even 1.5 day impressions. Such disregard for data, valuable, irreplaceable data, 1.5-yrs worth data possibly in which even single points could have been useful in drawing key conclusions ... sigh.

Someone needs to make a "WoWs, 3 Years Ago" post. Knowing exactly how it felt back in CBT when the experience was totally new definitely would help us nowadays. I have a bit on that in my notes, but nowhere near enough to draw conclusions from. Most of it doesn't even have referential value.

And even though I was motivated this time, it is still far from the amount of motivation needed for in say, to continue the systematic readings of historical materials to draw ideas from and note those ideas for a new WoWs, or even in this case, to search old posts for references to the CBT, insights back from when the game was still quite popular and discussion was intense, especially in light of things nowadays. 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

The game is reaching maturity/stagnation for me.

I'll try and Rank out this season and likely the next just for the Black but after then?

CBs are crappy as I'm not a 16 year old without commitments. 

There's not a huge amount to learn for me now. Every time I try and become a pro CV it just puts me off because of the interface and being face rolled by the elite players after stomping the 99%. 

I feel potato for admitting it but I enjoy BB play the most probably. It's easy gameplay as long as you accept bad DDs even when supported will sink your team.

Strangely I'm getting into WoT as the games are far shorter. Wasting 20mins here because of bad players gets old...

Sign in to follow this