Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SovietFury43

IFHE on French Cruisers?

19 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,455 battles

Is it worth it? Or should i get CE instead?

Their concealment is not that great to begin with so i don't think CE would be a very useful skill on them. IFHE i think would be a better choice, but is it worth the -3% fire chance?

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,615 battles

For 203mm guns IFHE is generally not useful as your HE penetration won't beat any armour thresholds they can't pen already. Only ships in the french cruiser line who can make use of IFHE's HE pen bonus are the light cruisers (up to inculding tier VI) and the Henry IV.. The latter because her 240mm guns with IFHE can penetrate 50mm armour plating (can't penetrate without IFHE) which is found on some hightier BB hulls (plus Moskva's and Khabarovsk's 50mm troll hullplating).

Essentially IFHE is wasted on the french tier VII-IX cruisers and of questionable value on the HIV (compared with other captain builds).

Personally, I'm building my french cruiser captain for IFHE and intend to use it on the HIV (plus the premium De Grasse on which it definately is useful), but I wouldn't exactly recommend it (and I'm only really doing it for teh lulz anyway).

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,322 battles

Baguette-5 does well without it, but having IFHE would be nice.

Baguette-6 struggles a bit, basically you'll have hard time damaging BBs apart from burning them

Baguettes-7+ have 203s (or 240s on HIV), so IFHE is unnecessary

Personal preference - CE at 10 pts

If your captain moves up through the line - don't take IFHE, if it stays in the t5 / t6 -> IFHE is a great skill to get at 14 pts

Players
1,339 posts
7,456 battles

Trust me CE is worth it on EVERY ship. even if the concealment is bad it would allow u to disengage sooner and slip into stealth. 

there are only rare cases where u should consider not taking CE first. 

• Cool 1

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,969 battles

IFHE is a must on Emile, Legali and Degrasse.

Optional on Henri (I use it)

and useless on Algerie, Charles and Saint Louis.

BUT, On all of these ships CE is a must. Get CE first!

[L4GG]
Players
2,038 posts
7,682 battles
5 hours ago, SovietFury43 said:

Their concealment is not that great to begin with so i don't think CE would be a very useful skill on them. IFHE i think would be a better choice, but is it worth the -3% fire chance?

I think it's -1 with DE.

But get concealment it's a must.

first point it's your choice (as all the rest) but what about for the first 10 points.

AR, DE, CE, then you go IFHE? That's for 152/155 mm guns.

22 minutes ago, cpt_sparrow_jack said:

u are main cruiser player and u dont know yet that ifhe the only thing that does in 203mm guns is nerf their fire chance..?:fish_palm:

So what?

I'm a cruiser main also and i don't have IFHE in my cruisers.

LaGal have less 1% fire chance or so than Buddy, so I will test IFHE on LaGal first. Then if I like it I will put it on the Buddy and on the Puma and on the rest (I know, I know)

IFHE makes wonders, but fires are important to cl's, let's see

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,455 battles
27 minutes ago, cpt_sparrow_jack said:

u are main cruiser player and u dont know yet that ifhe the only thing that does in 203mm guns is nerf their fire chance..?:fish_palm:

Yes, just becuase they are 203mm guns that MUST mean they behave exactly the same as the Japanese 203mm.

What the hell were you parents thinking.

@Butterdoll I just tested them on the La Gali, erased an Emerald with HE citadels. Will play a few more matches and let you know how it goes.

• Bad 1

[TIPC]
Players
409 posts
18,032 battles
2 minutes ago, SovietFury43 said:

Yes, just becuase they are 203mm guns that MUST mean they behave exactly the same as the Japanese 203mm.

now i wonder what u know about the game machanics about penetration if u are answering like that for your favourite line..maybe u are good only in complaining in chats.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,322 battles
46 minutes ago, cpt_sparrow_jack said:

And allows you to pen US BB deck armour. Not the most important thing, but still does it.

HIV can do it naturally, but with IFHE he can pen some German and Yamato decks aswell (emphasis on some)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,683 posts
20,337 battles
8 hours ago, SovietFury43 said:

IFHE i think would be a better choice, but is it worth the -3% fire chance?

Normally you don t pick IFHE solo, but the combo of IFHE+DE exactly because of that.

Players
1,034 posts
9,897 battles
13 hours ago, SovietFury43 said:

Did test IFHE on Martell. Did not see any improvements or any change at all. CE is also somewhat less useful in French 203mm gunned cruisers, than on some other. But it is still better then IFHE.

[ONE2]
Players
2,928 posts
17,207 battles

@SovietFury43 , so basically what we are saying is: IFHE is beneficial to most 150mm cruisers, though it will hurt your fire chance, it will mean that you can increase your damage input significantly and combined with Demolition Expert, the reduction in fire chance is not that huge anyways. :Smile_smile:

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,215 posts
15,628 battles
14 hours ago, SovietFury43 said:

Depends. If you are willing to train a dedicated low tiered French cruiser captain then IFHE will significantly improve your performance. If you want to carry your captain all the way to the Henrietta however, then you will want to pick up concealment expert. Outside of the carrier class, the only ship I can really think of that you would pick another level 4 skill for before CE would be the Akizuki. IFHE really doesn't help any heavy cruisers much. American battleships are rare and the German heavy cruisers don't need it at all.

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,683 posts
7,111 battles

IFHE is worth on any 150-180mm cruisers, german excepted (they have it built-in). DE or not. The increase in DPM you get offset more than largely the loss of fire chance. IFHE could reduces my fire chance by 10%, I still would pick it on Kutuzov because I can still do reliable 6-8k HE salvoes with it. While without IFHE you are 100% reliant on the RNG that will decides if you manage to get some fire on your targets or not.

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,969 battles
13 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

IFHE is worth on any 150-180mm cruisers, german excepted (they have it built-in). DE or not. The increase in DPM you get offset more than largely the loss of fire chance. IFHE could reduces my fire chance by 10%, I still would pick it on Kutuzov because I can still do reliable 6-8k HE salvoes with it. While without IFHE you are 100% reliant on the RNG that will decides if you manage to get some fire on your targets or not.

Also, from direct HE hits you can only heal a portion of it, while you can heal 100% of damage from fires. Not to mention that HE is instant damage while Fires takes time before it adds up and has an impact. For example if youre facing off 1 on 1 with a BB then the BB will have have many extra chances to shoot if you rely on fire damage, while with direct damage you might be able to kill him before he gets to shoot a few extra times.

IFHE just makes you much more reliable at dealing with BBs, but also 25-30mm plated cruisers which you can find all over the place at tier 8+

[AAO]
Beta Tester
118 posts
4,193 battles
On 15.1.2018 at 3:28 AM, SovietFury43 said:

Pretty much yeah, they do. There are different arcs and speeds, but one thing is the same. HE Pen values. Some have 1/6 and some have 1/4. It's not rocket science. Learn game mechanics, then come back and notice this mistake.

Only reason to use IFHE on french cruisers is that you are on a low tier and using small guns or just waste and meme 4 cpt points on Henri.

Players
1,059 posts
7,761 battles

IFHE lets Henri pen 50mm armor, which is fairly common on BB decks. Dunno if that's worth the reduced fire chance and 4 points that you could use on something else. As said, optional. For decision-making, I would suggest counting your shatters on BB decks when firing HE as non-IFHE Henri. You can also study BB armor models to understand the extent of this benefit. German HE pen lets you penetrate 50 mm, so when ships like Yorck and Hindenburg shoot HE at BBs, you could compare that reality to that of non-IFHE Henri for comparison. 

Sign in to follow this