You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
A_TIN_OF_MILK

RADAR

89 comments in this topic

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,560 posts
16,700 battles

Even normal detection ranges are nowadays often enough to dodge a torp spread depending on your class. Even 2km is a laughable, ridiculously comfortable distance for dodging. Those classes that are incapable of doing so can usually soak a hit or two in stride, more they won't receive if they've taken the necessary actions.

2 hours ago, Parakitteh said:

Even at 2-2.2km, many ships still can't exactly dodge a well-laid torpedo spread.

Have you perhaps considered that you are not supposed to be able to dodge a well-laid torpedo spread just because you pressed one button? That you deserve to die for sailing so long in a straight line without care? That if a DD has ambushed you in close quarters you shouldn't stand a chance of winning and he should be rewarded with your death for his good play?

Yet hydro takes all of that away. Instead, the DD is punished for laying a good torp spread or ambushing you at close range while the guys using hydro are actually rewarded for their idiocy. 

Sure, it can be used to support your teammates, that doesn't however change anything. Radar too can be used to support, still means it's a garbage mechanic.

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
2 hours ago, Parakitteh said:

Even at 2-2.2km, many ships still can't exactly dodge a well-laid torpedo spread.

It is an element of team play, supporting your teammates (the majority of which do not have hydro), and a vague defensive bonus against destroyers, within their deadly close-range fighting.

It's not vague. With hydro, it's extremely easy to avoid torpedoes. If you can't, you're either driving a battleship and you get unlucky, or the torpedo spread is just that tight, which is more a matter of random torpedo dispersion than any skill in aiming. Not counting those players who can't dodge torps detected half a minute earlier.

Players
94 posts
678 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Have you perhaps considered that you are not supposed to be able to dodge a well-laid torpedo spread just because you pressed one button?

This literally sounds like you don't know what hydro does. 

I'm sure you actually do, but it doesn't come across in your angry responses to me thinking an extra half-second's warning allows me to "dodge a spread with one button".

If the game were "realistic", that is the 1250 metres additional detection range afforded by hydro on a 65 knot torpedo amounting to an extra 40 seconds warning, you might have a point. But that range (seems to be) covered in a tenth of that time, or less. Much like how the aircraft are flying at something like 1600 knots, rather than <200.

Not to mention, even with good warning, I sometimes cannot avoid torpedoes.

My laptop peaks at, I kid you not, about 13fps. A hectic moment, with tracers, torpedoes, smoke and multiple enemy ships on screen, it'll tank to about 6fps tops.

Torpedoes, which seem to render in real time for an actual computer unlike my potato-GLaDOS contraption, might update  position once every three frames? Sometimes lower.

Players
4,511 posts
8,206 battles
7 minutes ago, Parakitteh said:

My laptop peaks at, I kid you not, about 13fps. A hectic moment, with tracers, torpedoes, smoke and multiple enemy ships on screen, it'll tank to about 6fps tops.

Torpedoes, which seem to render in real time for an actual computer unlike my potato-GLaDOS contraption, might update  position once every three frames? Sometimes lower.

I dont want to come across harsh, but do you really think, Videogames should be adjusted, so that you can play your Yamato on a Tamagochi and still dodge torps?

Players
4,511 posts
8,206 battles
8 minutes ago, Parakitteh said:

The game hasn't been adjusted for me.

yea.. d´oh. And it wont. And it shouldnt. So whats your point exactly?

Players
94 posts
678 battles
1 minute ago, ForlornSailor said:

yea.. d´oh. And it wont. And it shouldnt. So whats your point exactly?

I'm not asking it to.

My "point" is that his experience is not universal.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,560 posts
16,700 battles
38 minutes ago, Parakitteh said:

I'm sure you actually do, but it doesn't come across in your angry responses to me thinking an extra half-second's warning allows me to "dodge a spread with one button".

The stock 20km torpedoes on a Shimakaze run at 62kn with a detection range of 2,5km. That translates into 15 seconds of reaction time barring render time and your own reaction speed.

Low tier torps aren't even that fast (barring some exceptions), combined with hydro you can easily get well over 20 seconds before the torps reach your ship, more than enough time to dodge or minimize damage (depending on your class) against any torpedo spread.

So yes, my experience is in fact universal. Unless you've [edited] up your maneuvering it is laughably easy to dodge torps with hydro active.

If you have a potato computer that's not a problem with the game and must be completely disregarded.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,560 posts
16,700 battles

Then please, why isn't hydro a garbage mechanic? So far you have presented no relevant argument.

[NWP]
Players
6,523 posts
7,482 battles
3 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

The stock 20km torpedoes on a Shimakaze run at 62kn with a detection range of 2,5km.

Should have seen the Shima in my game today using those torps...

First, he kills our Loyang. Then he torps me in my Neptune, when i rushed a Mogami (torps left side -> Kill) and a FDG (torps right side -> kill) BOTH behind island and our shima is like " YES im gonna torp my Neptune" after i killed those 2, i had to show broadside to a GK since i couldnt turn in because of the torps. I ate one anyway thinking it kills me, and he gets atleast player killer...nope i got 6600 damage, GK kills me for last 9k.

Best part comes: after it was looking pretty bad in that period, that Shima hit a NC at MAX TORPRANGE! (torps ran out behind him) and the NC was so kind to break prefectly to hit it. 2 salvos he threw infront of the NC, killed an Ibuki as i recall...

Like wtf?

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,870 posts
10,125 battles
11 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Then please, why isn't hydro a garbage mechanic? So far you have presented no relevant argument.

I do like hydro, but the current ridiculous range hydro that runs for a minute and a half (unmodded) is too much.
Especially when fitted to BBs.

I don't mind as much normal range hydro, especially if it were shorter, so it could be used to confirm what you already know is going to happen so you can better adjust and better counter the DDs you're supposed to semi counter as a cruiser.

Radar is stupid though.
It was arguable when it first came out on a few ships and had ungodly long cooldown, to be used a a strategic weapon.
But now?
Pop radar, pew pew, and by the time you're in the next cap, the cooldown is finished and you can use it again.
Stupid.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,560 posts
16,700 battles
2 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

I do like hydro, but the current ridiculous range hydro that runs for a minute and a half (unmodded) is too much.
Especially when fitted to BBs.

Problem nowadays is that too many ships depend on hydro as either an invaluable survival tool you cannot do without (RN CLs) or as a gimmick (everything German and premium).

Thus I highly doubt WG is going to change hydro. Ever. Likewise with radar.