You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hawkmoon230

Firing from in/behind smoke

6 comments in this topic

Question

Beta Tester
24 posts
6,682 battles

Ok I did search but could not find what I wanted to ask so here goes.

I don't have a problem with smoke as such (play RN Cruisers quite a bit), but I do have an issue when ships can hide in smoke but still hit with the same accuracy as if the smoke was not there. I get that another ship outside the smoke may be able to spot me and relay my position to them but without GPS they would not be able to accuracy get my range and so hitting me would be much harder. With this in mind would it not make sense to give ships firing from within/behind smoke a fairly big accuracy penalty, this would balance the advantage of concealment with the penalty of less accuracy. I don't have such an issue with torps as the time to target factor plays a big part there.

Just my 2 cents

5 answers to this question

[CATS]
Players
19,376 posts
12,207 battles

That is the foundation of the game. Spotting is not exclusive for ships in smoke, every teammember profits from it.

In EVERY game some ship is spotting for the team. You are shooting at enemies that are spotted by friendlies nearly EVERY match.

Your proposal would reduce accuracy for for everyone.

Beta Tester
24 posts
6,682 battles
21 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

That is the foundation of the game. Spotting is not exclusive for ships in smoke, every teammember profits from it.

In EVERY game some ship is spotting for the team. You are shooting at enemies that are spotted by friendlies nearly EVERY match.

Your proposal would reduce accuracy for for everyone.

So we would have direct and indirect fire how would this be a bad thing, it would add anew dimension to the game, spot yourself take more risk and get better accuracy/point+credits and points for spotting damage or play safe use indirect fire and loose accuracy so less points/credits. It might actually encourage some of those BB/CA players to come out from behind the islands and make the game more dynamic.

[-TPF-]
Players
2,102 posts
10,100 battles

Dynamic reductions on detection and accuracy for ships which stay in smoke for significant periods of time (if properly done) would be a sensible idea and prevent much of the egregious farming which takes place in the game. But you won't get support for it in the forums, when most of the people who hang out here rely on broken mechanics for their success rate. 

[CATS]
Players
19,376 posts
12,207 battles

I suggest to look closer at these "success rates" of these ships, whatever this means, and you will see that they are not different or even worse than other ships.