You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ferry_25

Premium cammo's. Feeling a bit ripped off here

45 comments in this topic

[NED]
Players
4,348 posts
11,982 battles

First of everything: I don't advocate P2W in any way possible. Just won the New Mexico in the campaign with my just won Duke of York. Oh those coop matches are so fun to play once in a while! Being a pathological collector I of course already had the NM. It's one of my favorite ships. I also won the "snowy" cammo. To my surprise it is yielding the exact same benefit as the "regular" premium cammo I purchased with doubloons (aka hard earned RL cash). Now I don't want to sound ungrateful or pathetic but am I being that unreasonable for feeling a bit ripped off now? IMO the consensus is nobody is having any trouble with wallet warriors to get an economical benefit for investing in this wonderful game. I'm not talking about combat benefits here. Just economical. What's the incentive to buy premium cammo's in economical regard over waiting to win it one day? I frankly think this is unfair. Yes, give the F2P players benefits as well. I fully agree with that. But FFS: I paid RL cash for a cammo which is giving the exact eco benefit as the one I just gotten for free... IMO that's unfair.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3

[TTT]
Players
4,565 posts
8,062 battles

I can see where you're coming from - the reason to buy a premium camo for a ship you like still is that it exists right there and then, while you have absolutely no idea when if ever you'll be able to win a camo for it...

• Funny 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,740 posts
15,092 battles
2 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Why would you buy a premium cammo for a T6 ship in the first place?

Because he likes to play the ship? I have premium camos for several TVI ships, including all of my silver cruisers, the Gaede, Fuso and Bayern.

TVI isn't a horrible place to be in and many ships in it offer interesting play style options.

• Cool 3

[COMA]
Players
277 posts

The skin is different, no!?

The f2p guy will spend  years to cacth up to your exp and credit progress. And the lvl 19 captain power creep is real meanness in t10, so you will haw you share of seaclobing all the f2p accounts.

And lets not forget that this game is in development, so the p2w will haw lots of fun catching up to the meta, while the f2p has to gamble on the progress path he will take, hoping, he will get a decent experience at the end (haw it happen to me to - you finally get your op thing and one month later a patch nerfing it rolls out, basically screwing you ower).

Players
4,370 posts
7,986 battles

What I would like to see, is the premium permanent camos beeing different. Its nice that they look different - if you are into that whole optic modding thing - but it would be cool, if they would have focus on different boni. The oneway-camos are a good example I think. Some focus on XP, others give additional Captains XP, Free XP or Credits. That could be a nice addition? So I could switch to what I see fit for in that moment.

42 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

IMO the consensus is nobody is having any trouble with wallet warriors to get an economical benefit for investing in this wonderful game. I'm not talking about combat benefits here. Just economical. What's the incentive to buy premium cammo's in economical regard over waiting to win it one day? I frankly think this is unfair. Yes, give the F2P players benefits as well. I fully agree with that. But FFS: I paid RL cash for a cammo which is giving the exact eco benefit as the one I just gotten for free... IMO that's unfair.

I can see your point. But on the other hand: Why worry? Its not like it will influence you in any way directly. But as I said above: They could be different. Doesnt really mean better or worse - just different. That would certainly attract me more, then just getting a new camo with the same benefits.

[COMA]
Players
277 posts
14 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

What I would like to see, is the premium permanent camos beeing different. Its nice that they look different - if you are into that whole optic modding thing - but it would be cool, if they would have focus on different boni. The oneway-camos are a good example I think. Some focus on XP, others give additional Captains XP, Free XP or Credits. That could be a nice addition? So I could switch to what I see fit for in that moment.

And who would use their doublons for free exp or credits conversion. It's in WG's interest to haw as may microtransaction options as possible. And there is the game design problem of content consumtion speed managment, which is allreaddy fast for pure p2w with premium time, ships, camo, flags etc.

And you can be shure that they'll introduce those different camos some day if they get short on cash flow. So far they are good at removing broken premiums and reintroducing them to the game for a limted time only for big bucks:

ytj9a.jpg

Players
4,370 posts
7,986 battles
2 minutes ago, nimlock said:

And who would use their doublons for free exp or credits conversion.

People use dubloons aka cash to pay the service costs for high tier ships. Every round. There are ppl that convert dubloons to credits, to buy B-bull for Izumo. So while your question would be true for a (rather small) portion of ppl, that wouldnt need / would need it less any longer, a huge part simply doesnt qualify for it. Also - it will generate cashflow also, to offer 2 or 3 different permanent premium camos for each ship. Another thing: if they would be so concerned about too high income of credits/XP and all that comes with it, we wouldnt see daily win bonus, especially 100% and 200% ones. So I think its fair to say, they know how to balance the economy.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,778 posts
8,909 battles

I'm of the opposite opinion as someone who probably buys more perma camos than most. I prefer when new reward camos share the same bonus as the ones you buy, otherwise there would be no point in getting them if you already have one. Now you can pick the one you think looks better, or just swap them out temporarily for the winter theme. :Smile_great:

The camos we got last year in the Santa's Convoy are a good example of useless camos unless you for whatever reason normally just use the cheapo credit ones.

[COMA]
Players
277 posts
45 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

if they would be so concerned about too high income of credits/XP and all that comes with it, we wouldnt see daily win bonus, especially 100% and 200% ones. So I think its fair to say, they know how to balance the economy.

Its bait for the f2p people to log in for you to shoot at like ducks:

4ffff51eff7bffc77acd4889d5ddd4302cd31b38

People already compare weekends and holidays to cancer. Log in/1st battle;day bonus is just here to generate activity, nothing more. I haw premiums, so i can take my time  and play leasurely. And the queue is definetly a blessing at that time (I usually sealclob on weekends religiously and go for regular tech tree grind durning work days).

Players
934 posts
4,262 battles
57 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

I got it for my Nürnberg as it's one of my favourite ships to play and that way I could save my bigger bonus camos for other ships. I'm not using it at the moment, of course, the Frosty Fir camo that's been in nearly every container I've opened recently gives much better bonuses and it all helps as I gather the necessary free xp for the Missouri.

Players
3,926 posts
7,547 battles
47 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Because he likes to play the ship? I have premium camos for several TVI ships, including all of my silver cruisers, the Gaede, Fuso and Bayern.

TVI isn't a horrible place to be in and many ships in it offer interesting play style options.

I can see the attraction of playing T6 ships, but what does the premium cammo get you?  The credit gain at T6 must be fairly minimal and the XP gain doesn't have any obvious use either.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,778 posts
8,909 battles
14 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

I can see the attraction of playing T6 ships, but what does the premium cammo get you?  The credit gain at T6 must be fairly minimal and the XP gain doesn't have any obvious use either.

For me the first reason is probably looks. If I like to play a ship a lot, I enjoy having a good looking and historical camo mounted. The second reason is that you don't have to bother with single use ones, so you are saving on ones you already have or at the very least a 22.5k credit camo each battle.

As for the XP bonus it helps a lot when you're often left with a captain on the ship which you basically only level using that specific ship. If you already have a 19 point captain then obviously it becomes even more useful for getting free captain XP.

• Cool 1

[SINT]
Players
388 posts
16,033 battles

I had the same feeling last year when we received some perma camo’s on some other tier VI ships. Like the Budyonny, Leander and the Bayern. They were rather ugly camos but even more upsetting was that at that time they would give a 50% xp bonus while at that time the “normal paid for” tier VI premium camos only gave a 30% xp boost. While this has been changed recently (now these camo’s give 50% as well) it did put me off purchasing premium camo for the low tiers..

Even now with all the free flood of camos (the one use type) with much better benefits then the 100% XP buff that the 9+ premium camos have the reason for paying 4 or 5K doubloons is really at an all time low. And the silver money reduction that come with the premium permanent camo is less important with the clan discounts and the amounts of silver you collect when you don’t have to buy new ships.   

At least the free tier 8 premium camo’s WG gave away last time (Charles Martell, NO, Kiev and Monarch) are downright inferior to the premium paid permanent camo’s.

[UNICS]
Players
3,644 posts
14,304 battles

I wouldn't mind more disparity by the 'won' camo and the bought one. If you buy it you might as well have a little extra bonus for it.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,222 posts
30,592 battles

I had both the QE and La Galissonaire with Prem camo before, but otoh you never know which ship that recieves them and it is mostly after the grind, so if it is a ship I plan on playing after the Grind I may buy Permacamo ast I compare the prize of 1000 Gold to oneuse camos. From T5 and above, where the grind starts to take longer I often have used lately either perma or premium camos and as I like the midtiers in general I often take perma at T6/7 but not 8/9 and then I have on several T10s. The extra 100% XP in the long run gives benefits anbd now I have one soon two 19p on T10 so it is useful for Extra elite XP. 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
12 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

First of everything: I don't advocate P2W in any way possible. Just won the New Mexico in the campaign with my just won Duke of York. Oh those coop matches are so fun to play once in a while! Being a pathological collector I of course already had the NM. It's one of my favorite ships. I also won the "snowy" cammo. To my surprise it is yielding the exact same benefit as the "regular" premium cammo I purchased with doubloons (aka hard earned RL cash). Now I don't want to sound ungrateful or pathetic but am I being that unreasonable for feeling a bit ripped off now? IMO the consensus is nobody is having any trouble with wallet warriors to get an economical benefit for investing in this wonderful game. I'm not talking about combat benefits here. Just economical. What's the incentive to buy premium cammo's in economical regard over waiting to win it one day? I frankly think this is unfair. Yes, give the F2P players benefits as well. I fully agree with that. But FFS: I paid RL cash for a cammo which is giving the exact eco benefit as the one I just gotten for free... IMO that's unfair.

By your logic, it's also unfair to have

- premium ships in supercontainers

- special camos from Halloween pumpkins (also just as good as premium camos)

- missions/campaigns that can give you a premium ship

- discounts on literally anything purchasable for RL money (after all, it's unfair to people who paid the full price, right)

Seriously. Get over yourself. You paid doublons for a t6 camo that has an eqivalent that later became available for free? Well, you got to use a premium camo before any F2P users got to win it, right? It's still an advantage over the free players - even if it's not a completely permanent one (although you seem to imply that EVERYONE who doesn't pay has the time and will to finish both campaigns - a risky assumption, I'd say). Also, let me enlighten you on a small aspect of the economy of a game like WoWs. It's not free. F2P players' time invested into it helps keep it afloat for players who do pay. And winning these camos requires people to invest said time... not to mention that it's an advertisement for the general idea of permanent premium camos. You give people the taste of perma premium camos and hope they'll get hooked and maybe buy one for their fav. ship. Personally I must admit that me buying any premium camos at all might have been the direct effect of the f*ck-up that WG made during IJN line split when some people got mistakenly awarded premium camos on ships they shouldn't have them on. It seemed nice to have such a camo - so after the issue was resolved, I actually went and spent some doublons. Seeing how t6 camos are pretty cheap and not very powerful... they might be gateway drugs camos in the first place. And the winnable ones are but a free sample to get people interested.

• Cool 4

[NED]
Players
4,348 posts
11,982 battles
12 hours ago, Capra76 said:

Indeed because I like the ship and I very much like the cammo pattern as well.

[L4GG]
Players
2,012 posts
7,682 battles
13 hours ago, Capra76 said:

Why not?

T6 it's an amazing tier, with better ships than t7 e.g.

At the moment I've got one t6 premium camo, I didn't buy one for Kuma yet because there isn't any.

13 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

First of everything: I don't advocate P2W in any way possible. Just won the New Mexico in the campaign with my just won Duke of York. Oh those coop matches are so fun to play once in a while! Being a pathological collector I of course already had the NM. It's one of my favorite ships. I also won the "snowy" cammo. To my surprise it is yielding the exact same benefit as the "regular" premium cammo I purchased with doubloons (aka hard earned RL cash). Now I don't want to sound ungrateful or pathetic but am I being that unreasonable for feeling a bit ripped off now? IMO the consensus is nobody is having any trouble with wallet warriors to get an economical benefit for investing in this wonderful game. I'm not talking about combat benefits here. Just economical. What's the incentive to buy premium cammo's in economical regard over waiting to win it one day? I frankly think this is unfair. Yes, give the F2P players benefits as well. I fully agree with that. But FFS: I paid RL cash for a cammo which is giving the exact eco benefit as the one I just gotten for free... IMO that's unfair

I kinda understand you, I just bought a premium ship and will give me the exactly economics of my silver ship with premium camo.

[NED]
Players
4,348 posts
11,982 battles
9 hours ago, eliastion said:

By your logic, it's also unfair to have

- premium ships in supercontainers

- special camos from Halloween pumpkins (also just as good as premium camos)

- missions/campaigns that can give you a premium ship

- discounts on literally anything purchasable for RL money (after all, it's unfair to people who paid the full price, right)

That's not what I meant at all. My question was if I'm being unreasonable to feel a bit ripped off when I paid for something I could have won as well. And perhaps I am. Just wanted to hear people's thoughts.

Weekend Tester
651 posts
6,695 battles

The premium/permanent cammos really ought to have something that differentiates them from either the silver/purchasable cammos or the many types of event cammos. Its a bit pointless paying money/gold for a cammo that has a paltry 50% XP bonus of some kind, when most regular players probably by now have a large stash of event cammos that give up to 500% on bonuses.

Perhaps the permanent cammos should have something unique - perhaps an automatic slow heal, or an additional resistance to fire, or even a shrunken citadel?

• Bad 2

Beta Tester
1,209 posts
8,834 battles
14 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

What's the incentive to buy premium cammo's in economical regard over waiting to win it one day?

Like anything premium in the game?

You want your heal to come up sooner? Pay for it.

You want xp and credits faster, thus premium account? Pay for it.

You want your captain retrained faster? Pay for it.

If you want your New Mexico to have better economics now, you have to pay for it, otherwise wait a year or two to get the same stuff for free.

[UNICS]
Players
3,644 posts
14,304 battles
9 minutes ago, cracktrackflak said:

.. perhaps an automatic slow heal ...

bbs running away even more to let themselves heal up slowly..? :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
3 hours ago, cracktrackflak said:

Perhaps the permanent cammos should have something unique - perhaps an automatic slow heal, or an additional resistance to fire, or even a shrunken citadel?

I suggest a special consumable that gives you the combined effects of Radar and Hydro with 20km radius! Or the Eclipse one from Halloween scenario.

• Cool 1