Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
siramra

Overpens.....effing overpens

17 comments in this topic

siramra   

The RNG based overpens are really getting to me these days.

Ships sailing permanent broadside to u and all u do is overpen.

and to add to insult....I even got etonated through my bow.

Yes, I`m frustrated.....yes I`m angry.....yes, this is a game.

But there is no consistency regarding the overpens.

domen3   

Let me guess...you're playing the friedrich

siramra   
8 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Contrary to popular belief penetration is a fixed calculation and has nothing to do with RNG.

If you're constantly getting overpens you're probably aiming wrong.

Shooting stuff through the water to slow the shells....and still overpen. Cruiser on cruiser.....sailing broadside.....waterline....overpen.

Not talking about penning power....but hitting stuff that u aim at.

43 minutes ago, siramra said:

Ships sailing permanent broadside to u and all u do is overpen.

34 minutes ago, siramra said:

Shooting stuff through the water to slow the shells....and still overpen. Cruiser on cruiser.....sailing broadside.....waterline....overpen.

Not talking about penning power....but hitting stuff that u aim at.

Generally you actually want enemy to be slightly angled, as flat broadside hits, unless they go through some thicker armour belt will not have enough effective armour to arm the AP fuse, which I'm pretty sure is the main reason you can get overpens even on BBs.

Quite frustrating tho, I do agree.

siramra   
11 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Generally you actually want enemy to be slightly angled, as flat broadside hits, unless they go through some thicker armour belt will not have enough effective armour to arm the AP fuse, which I'm pretty sure is the main reason you can get overpens even on BBs.

Quite frustrating tho, I do agree.

Angled Leander.....5 broadside salvos....overpens. Belfast, angled....4 overpens on salvo.

I get u need a balancing factor. But I feel it`s to random. I love my cits as everyone else.

But players just sailing broadside....not even trying and gets away with it....cmon.

20 minutes ago, siramra said:

Leander... Belfast

Notice how those are light cruisers, ships who are notorious for having very thin armour.

As armour thickness goes down, the effective angle at which you have to hit increases, especially as your ships caliber goes up. On those CLs unless you hit their main belt it's pretty normal to get nothing but an overpen

Nechrom   

While you do need to hit a certain level of effective armor in order for your shells to arm, that's not really the issue if you are hitting the citadel as that is always protected by the belt armor. Even the biggest shells in the game needs to only hit 77mm of effective armor to arm, so as long as you hit the belt your shells are going arm on everything but DDs. What tends to create overpenetrations despite this is the fuse delay on the shells. Often what happens at closer ranges with high velocity BB shells is that you'll punch clean through the citadel before the shell detonates.

Personally I don't see the reason why this is even a feature. If a CL gives you full broadside at close range when you have all guns fully aimed and loaded, you should just be able to devastate him, but instead you hit his citadel with 7 x 410mm shells and do like 8k damage.

It feels more like an oversight in the design of the game mechanics.

It's pretty funny when you shoot a broadside at 4-5 km with your Atlanta and it's all overpens, when he angles a little it's all citadels. How can such a pea shooter overpen a citadel? :cap_wander_2:

siramra   
9 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Notice how those are light cruisers, ships who are notorious for having very thin armour.

As armour thickness goes down, the effective angle at which you have to hit increases, especially as your ships caliber goes up. On those CLs unless you hit their main belt it's pretty normal to get nothing but an overpen

That was just 2 examples, I even overpenned with 6 shells at a broadsided CL with the Buddy.. If I sail broadside and do not pay attention, I`d expect to get punished for it. Alot of players just sail in a straight line and pew pewing, and doesn`t get punished for it...well....they`d never learn.

But u have days where u throw a hail Mary shot and RNG said yes to your horrible acc and granted u 3 cits.

If it`s a balancing factor for the BBs, well. But not CA\CLs. They don`t need that on top the other stuff.

Panocek   
14 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

It's pretty funny when you shoot a broadside at 4-5 km with your Atlanta and it's all overpens, when he angles a little it's all citadels. How can such a pea shooter overpen a citadel? :cap_wander_2:

If shell runs out of ship to explode within, then yes, overpen happens

2 minutes ago, Mandalorianer said:

To be honest, overpens on the hull should cause a flodding dependend on the caliber.

That would need a rework on the whole Flooding/DCP consumable interaction. Because cruiser would just flood to death all the time i think... And what about DDs? Stop using HE especially as a Cruiser?

2 hours ago, Mandalorianer said:

To be honest, overpens on the hull should cause a flodding dependend on the caliber.

And AP should cause fires :cap_viking:

It's an arcade game not a simulator, that wouldn't be fair

Gnomus   

One thing they could do is make "overpens" in citadel do more damage than 10%.

Overpen system is ok when thinking about shells going through crew accommodation areas etc. but having shells go through the most important vital components like high pressure steam turbines or ammo storage should do more. Either WG should model heavy machinery inside hull or make it so that "overpen" on citadel area would give regular pen damage. 

That would fix most stupid things, where you want to offer full broadside because then enemy will just make minimal damage instead of wrecking your ship. 

Sign in to follow this