Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Xaero_

Pens that deal no damage

8 comments in this topic

Players
137 posts
6,579 battles

Been meaning to ask, because I don't remember reading it in the patch notes, I occasionally will deal 2 or 3 penetrations to a ship, but those pens deal no damage at all.

Is something broken or is the algorithm that is reading these penetrations displaying the wrong symbol? 

Apologies if there has been threads about it before

4,810 posts
9,285 battles

Can happen for two reasons: 

Damage saturation (has been in the game since... forever) or hitting modules (e.g. AA mounts).

Greetings

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
4,557 posts
8,062 battles

has also been discussed to death, back to life and right back to death again enough times that it knows all the Keepers of the Underworld from mythologies all over the world on a first name basis by now...

• Funny 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,322 battles

0 damage zones:

• AA guns / mounts
  • Secondaries
  • Main battery guns / turrets
  • Gun barbettes

Other cases:

• Spaced armour (the void / black hole generators) - shell penetrates spaced armour, for example, a torpedo bulge, but explodes in it before reaching the ship -> counts as exploded outside the ship thus 0 dmg
  • Damage saturated-depleted zone. Healthy zone gets full pen damage, blackened (saturated) zone gets half pen damage, saturated-depleted zone (still blackened) takes no further penetration damage

Examples:

• You shot at Yamatos superstructure from a side. Bunch of penetrations but got 0 dmg. All you hit were Yamatos countless secondary and AA batteries.
  • You shot at an angled Amagis side, penetrated the torpedo bulge but got 0 dmg. Shell exploded in her bulge never actually entering the ship itself.
  • You are shooting at Montanas blackened stern, bunch of penetrations but got 0 dmg. That section is depleted, it will not take any further damage from penetrations.
  • You hit and penetrated a DesMoines forward turret. Penetration but 0 dmg. Also knocked out his turret unless it already was knocked out. You hit the turret multiple times, it got saturated and now is permanently destroyed. Ship still took no damage from those pens.
  • Cool 2

[NED]
Players
4,347 posts
11,978 battles

Sigh. Indeed we've been over this a gazillion of times OP. Frankly I find it one of the worst bugs in this game. I get the shatters, bounces and misses doing no damage. And i get the overpens: just shoooting straight through a ship, and the AP won't fuse. But at least that's yielding some dmg... 

But come on a pen without dmg?! A shell the size of a small car just perfectly hitting a M60 kaliber AA machine gun, without doing a scatch of damage in it's surroundings? Or indeed the "spaced armor" mystery. Why don't I get at least a half overpen dmg? I did freaking pen the first layer of armor? Yes, penning a "non vital" part of the ship like the galley. Same goes for the half overpen dmg there. Oh, and the best explanation I ever read was a AP shell hit the armor belt! FFS: is there that much of a difference between a torp hitting the torpedo belt or a AP shell coming in with roughly 800 m/s?? So why does a torp give a lot of dmg to the belt and an AP shell isn't?

Last but not least: keep in mind "dmg saturation" is a "red skill" only. When I'm having 3 fans on my *ss however in f.e. a Yama they can just add up the dmg fully all day on my rear section.

[NWP]
Players
6,218 posts
7,366 battles
16 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

Last but not least: keep in mind "dmg saturation" is a "red skill" only. When I'm having 3 fans on my *ss however in f.e. a Yama they can just add up the dmg fully all day on my rear section.

The problem is, u dont know how many pens/shatters/bounces the enemy is rewarded for shooting u. So u can never know what the game is showing on the other side of the table.

• Cool 1

Players
4,370 posts
7,968 battles

Yea, the problem is - as long as this annoying way of feedback to the player exists, ppl will make threads about it. Its only natural to feel cheated. The ribbons are showing you, that you deserved to get more damage. Its in the human nature, to judge this as beein betrayed. Imagine playing the lottery, then you watch the drawings in TV, theyll pick your numbers and 10 mins later theyll announce "we made a mistake - it were last week numbers". And you go home with 5e instead of 40 millions. Im sure you wouldnt say "ah well, honest mistake. back to work it is" ;)

tl;dr: Ribbons need to be fixes. no matter in which way they are wrong.

[NED]
Players
4,347 posts
11,978 battles
4 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

The problem is, u dont know how many pens/shatters/bounces the enemy is rewarded for shooting u. So u can never know what the game is showing on the other side of the table.

Granted. Absolutely a point. I was stating an opinion as a fact. I stand corrected. Thank you.

Sign in to follow this