Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AnEvilJoke

[Therory crafting] After Musashi...?

47 comments in this topic

Players
1,647 posts
6,691 battles

With Musashi replacing the mighty Mo in the near future as a Tier IX free XP ship, I was thinking... What could come after that and from which nation? And because I love my Battleships german, I looked at what they had as concepts. And no, even if it would be nice, I don't want a H-42 (~135k HP 480mm guns), H-43 (~150k HP 480mm guns) or H-44 (~170k+ (?) HP 500mm guns).

On Wikipedia I found the L 20 α-class battleship and a quick search on the forum show'd me that the search tool is broken.

Comparing the stats, from Wikipedia, the L 20 α could have almost the same size as Bismarck/Tirpitz (she was planed as a few meters shorter and slimer), a bit better armor (iRL Bismarck had Belt: 320 mm Turrets: 360 mm Main deck: 100 to 120 mm while L 20 α was planed to have Belt: 130 to 350 mm Battery: 170 mm Barbettes: 100 to 350 mm Turrets: 150 to 350 mm Conning Tower (Superstruckture?): 150–350 mm), a lot slower with 26kns and bigger guns (8x420mm) as well as 3 Torpedo Tubes (which could be converted into a launcher?) for possibly the H8 (600mm - 36 kn - 6,600 yd) or a 700mm Torpedo I didn't found on the Internet.

But there is also the problem, its basically the Tier VIII's in "Meh..." but with bigger boom, For me it is also a little immersion breaking, having a WW1 design (1917) sitting at Tier IX,

This is how it could have looked like:

SMS_Ersatz_Yorck_line_color-aaa3.png

A little bigger ofc, the draft is from the Ersatz Yorck-class battlecruiser Link

As it is stated that quote: "Externally, the ships were very similar to the Ersatz Yorck-class battlecruisers"

So...any thoughs, ideas, chitchat or flames?

Edited by Mandalorianer
Bad english
  • Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,563 posts
8,256 battles

I honestly don't think adding tier 9 premiums will become a regular thing.

The Missouri was a "produced for China" ship and basically a case of them having the ship ready so why not make use of it on the other servers as well.

Musashi is an easy low-effort Yamato remake specifically made to take Missouri's place since Missouri both turned out to be too good and too cheap.

I guess you can play around with the idea just because it's fun to speculate and imagine tier 9 premiums.

Personally I'm interesting in seeing where they put the Alaska if it ever makes it into the game, which I assume it eventually will. I think you could balance it for a lot of different tiers, but since it's a modern design for the scope of the game I think it would fit  best at tier 8-10.

Players
1,497 posts
3,883 battles
13 hours ago, Mandalorianer said:

And no, even if it would be nice, I don't want a H-42 (~135k HP 480mm guns), H-43 (~150k HP 480mm guns) or H-44 (~170k+ (?) HP 500mm guns).

I've seen other forum users state that WG don't want to implement any guns bigger than Yamato's 460mm guns.

Unfortunately, I do not have a source for this information.

I wouldn't be surprised if HMS Vanguard ended up being another special T9 premium, being the last battleship built.

TBH, I think it would be interesting if they did special T9s of different ship types.

Maybe Shinano?

Yukikaze as an upgraded Kagerou? (with smoke and TRB available at the same time?...Naw, too many crying babbies. :Smile_trollface:)

How about an O'Bannon that shoots potatoes?

HMS Victory?:Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Captain_LOZFFVII

Players
1,647 posts
6,691 battles
14 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

I honestly don't think adding tier 9 premiums will become a regular thing.

I'am aware of that, thats why I said "free XP ship". Unlike others I do not swim in free XP and can Instant buy Tier X when a new line is released but there are people who do and Wargaming has to do something to get all the free XP out of the system, thats why Musashi costs almost 200k more,

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,563 posts
8,256 battles
1 minute ago, Mandalorianer said:

I'am aware of that, thats why I said "free XP ship". Unlike others I do not swim in free XP and can Instant buy Tier X when a new line is released but there are people who do and Wargaming has to do something to get all the free XP out of the systemm thats why Musashi costs almost 200k more,

Then it just becomes a discussion about any possible premium ship to add.

I'll throw my hat into the ring and propose HMS Tre Kronor. Since WG would never be able to make a Swedish cruiser line, it would be safe to add as a premium.

7 DP 152mm guns @ 10 rpm (15 rpm in AA role). Similar displacement as Leander so similar HP. 33 knot speed. Only 70mm belt. 20 x 40mm AA and 7 x 25mm AA. 2 x 3 533mm torpedoes.

Could fit tier 6 or 7 depending on if you give it smoke or not. Monster AA platform either way and great dpm, but fragile.

[ONE2]
Players
2,527 posts
14,976 battles

I suspect that at some point the IJN Design A-150 might have a chance of becoming a tier 10 prem...:cap_hmm: Not getting it tho. Paper ship.:cap_old:

supramato.jpg.6da52994fc3c3809548573ad4291d273.jpg

[SCRUB]
Players
657 posts
12,296 battles
7 hours ago, Negativvv said:

Whatever it is, just not another BB...

This. So much this..

We all know we're eventually going to get the Stalingrad as a T10 Soviet reward ship. My  suggestion would be:

uss_alaska__cb_1____1944_by_colosseumsb-

USS Alaska, T9 free XP ship. 

Class and type: Alaska-class large cruiser
Displacement:
  • Standard: 29,779 long tons (30,257 t)
  • Full load: 34,253 long tons (34,803 t)
Length: 808 ft 6 in (246.4 m)
Beam: 91 ft 1 in (27.8 m)
Draft: 31 ft 10 in (9.7 m)
Installed power: 153,000 shp (114,000 kW)
Propulsion:
  • General Electric steam turbines
  • 8 Babcock & Wilcox boilers
  • 4 shafts
Speed: 33 knots (61 km/h; 38 mph)
Range: 12,000 nmi (22,000 km; 14,000 mi) at 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph)
Crew: 1,517
Armament:
Armor:

It's a (huge) cruiser, but cruiser nevertheless.

It doesn't really fit in the current tech tree, so it's more suitable as a premium

Gives plebs like me the option to try 305mm without participating in clan wars

• Cool 3

Players
607 posts
5,870 battles

T9 deluxe premiums are historical ships. The only other BB to fulfill the requirement would be Jean Bart, because we know that she wasn't kept for T8. There is simply no other nation historical BB above T8 available. Vanguard is arguably half T7 half T8 and there is a premium RN T8 BB slot to sell thus she cannot be T9.

Outside BB world there are many options because only BBs were obsolete by the end of WWII and ceased to be built.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
6 minutes ago, PseudoMi said:

T9 deluxe premiums are historical ships. The only other BB to fulfill the requirement would be Jean Bart, because we know that she wasn't kept for T8. There is simply no other nation historical BB above T8 available. Vanguard is arguably half T7 half T8 and there is a premium RN T8 BB slot to sell thus she cannot be T9.

Outside BB world there are many options because only BBs were obsolete by the end of WWII and ceased to be built.

I'd love to see Vanguard one day. Probably be like the Hood to play but with epic AA and accurate hard tipped AP rounds.

Kutuzov was a pretty late launched gun Cruiser no? 

As much as I enjoy BBs there are so many other choices WG could go to for Free XP ships...

Players
2,429 posts
15,503 battles

Anything but a BB, BC or 'large cruiser' that's actually played like a BB.

How about USS Johnston? (Balanced as tier 9 Kidd)

• Cool 1

[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,477 battles
10 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

I've seen other forum users state that WG don't want to implement any guns bigger than Yamato's 400mm guns.

Unfortunately, I do not have a source for this information.

WG has said so many things and did so many controversies...that I myself wouldn't be sure that it will be forever like this.

"We don't want T IX premiums just this one... We don't want T X premiums. Well, maybe, actually, here it is. And this one." And so on and so on... We'll see.

• Funny 1

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,074 posts
17,364 battles
11 hours ago, Negativvv said:

Whatever it is, just not another BB...

3 BBs is enough.

And making tier 9 ships available for any noob with enough cash to convert free XP is bad.

Same thing with premium carriers.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,008 posts
4 hours ago, Freyr_90 said:

This. So much this..

How about giving some love to Japanese Line with B-65?

[SCRUB]
Players
657 posts
12,296 battles
12 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

How about giving some love to Japanese Line with B-65?

Sure, why not. It really looks like a smaller Yamato

LCMl2E0.jpg

It's just a less known paper design and so far free xp ships were real :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

Players
1,647 posts
6,691 battles

I don't like the idea of post WW2 ships, like for example Stalingrad. I mean okay, Wargaming is from russia so they have a natural bias toward russian ships (see "Battleship" Moskva) so we can be pretty sure that Stalingrad will be the best Cruiser in her Tier, Tier X right?

But hey, it is okay for her to be "sligtly" unbalanced because only the best players will get her anyway...

Why not implement the O-class the germans cooked up?

Lets mess around with her planned iRL stats:

os0qv8.png

At Tier IX or Tier X it could be:

~61.000 HP, Roon or Hindenburgs Armor sheme (because "balance", the iRL Armor would render DD HE pretty much useless i think), 3x2 380 mm L/52 SK C/34 (Bismarcks guns) with Admiral Graf Spee charakteristics for rotation, reload ect. but ofc Tier IX/X Damage and Cruiser Sigma. 35knots max. speed, 20 meters longer then Gneisenau/Scharnhorst but as slim as both. And last but not least 2x3 G7a T1 Torpedo launcher.

Sh*t, I would buy that ship and become Cruiser main. :cap_money:

And she's pretty too:

OclassCruiser2Dmap4-eBigFlagalt.jpg

Players
1,674 posts
12,415 battles

We don't have enough Fletcher-class variants (jk), so I suggest adding a T9 premium USS William D. Porter (DD-579). In order to unlock her you will have to become pink x times in addition to the free xp, preferably by successfully torping an allied Iowa. Alternatively, you could just as well turn pink (and be treated as such) for one battle whenever you play her. That would be a nice feature :)

Fun to read:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19637_the-5-craziest-war-stories-all-happened-same-ship.html

• Funny 2

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,230 posts
6,768 battles

Whatever. Even giving me a freepex Agano class (gib Yahagi) at tier 6 would make me happy. As long as it's not another battleship and not yet another "other-cruiser-killer-CA" like Stalingrad will most likely be.

How about a free-XP Yuudachi, or even better at tier 8, a freeXP Amatsukaze ? Amatsukaze was a Kagero-class in which they mounted the prototype boiler of the Shimakaze and she did speed trial with them. We could have a Kagero with the same engine boost as french cruisers. That would be gimmicky enough for WG.

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,003 posts
24,125 battles

Well I think that FreeXP ships should be in different tiers so that some are reachable for normal players. Personally I have no problem, Musashi is covered but for others. 

[4_0_4]
Players
4,812 posts
10,960 battles

Pls, whatever you do, not another Free-Exp BB.

3 BBs should be enough for now. There should be enough other historical ships, which can be brought in for Free-Exp, even on lower tiers.

(heck, even some WW1 Dreadnought / battlecruisers or cruisers would be nice.)

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Parallel on topic.. i'm curious who will actually actively grind for Musashi? I know I'm not. Don't likeYamato play, so why persue a nerfed Yamato? If I win it, fine. But I won't be chasing it like I did Mighty Mo.... Still keeping captain Cheerful on that ship. Heck, even watched the movie (and the sequel).

Sign in to follow this