You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Angelus_Inferos

DON'T trust the auto pilot

Just to have a quick overview who has the problem and who doesn't...  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have problems whit the autopilot?

• Yes
    • No

21 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
28 posts
3,916 battles

Hello peepz,

So I am playing in my Midway. I notice I am going to near to the enemy, time to trun around. I select a point on the minimap and I see a white line from my ship going to the point I want. So I'm focusing on my planes and trust the autopilot to guide my Midway to where I want. 2 Minutes later.... What the actual hell... why didn't my carrier turn around? where did the white line go? 

Long story short... Am I the only one having problems whit the autopilot? I know the UI sucks and I don't know when they will fix it... but I do wonder if they messed up the Auto Pilot... 

Or am I doing something wrong? It's just clicking a point on the minimap and when i have my carrier selected there is a white line from the whit Arrow to the point I want. 

You guys having any problems whit the autopilot? Maybe having some tips to avoid [edited]it up and die... 

All the best and dear regards,

Dex

[NWP]
Players
4,363 posts
6,236 battles

I had it one time playing the halloween event with a CV ofc. Was turning around at start, at a couple of mins i was wondering, why my CV is still doing the turn. Well didnt think much about it, till i realized he did the turn again lol...

But that was the only time it ever happened to me.

[OSC]
Players
2,735 posts
10,307 battles

Its bugged as hell.
Set more then 2 waypoints, and there you go, he has no idea where to go...

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

I didn't have any problems with the autoplito even with more than 2 waypoints.

However, keep in mind the the autopilot is deactivated as soon as you press A, D, Q or E.

[OSC]
Players
2,735 posts
10,307 battles
8 minutes ago, Tungstonid said:

However, keep in mind the the autopilot is deactivated as soon as you press A, D, Q or E.

you have waypoints still drawn on your screen, but your carrier is doing flips instead of following it. You don't need to touch your keyboard for that.

Beta Tester
28 posts
3,916 battles
11 minutes ago, Tungstonid said:

Euwm I think I'm pretty sure I don't tuch the AWDS button's... but I just played another game... finding something very interesting... when I make a waipoint in the minimap for my cv... it actualy makes a waypoint WAY OF  the point i selected... so when i decide to move north... it makes a waypoint south... 

Thx for replying :)

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,742 battles

Yeah, Autopilot is stupid.

I once set my autopilot in a CV so I would ram another ship of my team but this stupid autopilot went around that ship instead of ramming him :cap_look:

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,204 posts
14,454 battles

Just yesterday had a Yamato push my Enterprise towards the front lines and then hide behind me. And ofc since autopilot wants to avoid ramming I couldn't use it to move towards the back again, so I had to slow down and turn manually to try to let that BBaby past - at which point an enemy Montana dev striked me.

(Just as well considering this was an almost pure T10 game I didn't want to play anyway.)

Then a few weeks ago I had the amazing "rudder is full over but the ship won't turn" bug again that got me killed. Seriously, this is as old as the game itself and WG still can't fix it.

(My team won though and I still ended up third on the scoreboard because lol average WoWs players.)

• Funny 1

Players
4,085 posts
6,251 battles
7 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Just yesterday had a Yamato push my Enterprise towards the front lines and then hide behind me. And ofc since autopilot wants to avoid ramming I couldn't use it to move towards the back again, so I had to slow down and turn manually to try to let that BBaby past - at which point an enemy Montana dev striked me.

He needed a meatshield. Worked I guess. Imagine, his Yamato would have taken damage! Cant let that happen. Last week I was happily sitting in my smoke with Leander, when a QE smashed with full speed angled from behind in me. He kept going for about 2 minutes - I was in such an angle and he fullspeed, that I was glued to his bow. I begged, I demanded, I shot at him, I insulted him - nothing worked. "Those" players are stuck in zoom until they go down. Well, in that case, he found a meatshield to absorb the torps for him.... not like my hydro spotted them or something. Should make a video out of that tbfh. Im sure, everyone not involved will laugh until they cry...

• Funny 1

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,717 posts
9,234 battles
11 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Then a few weeks ago I had the amazing "rudder is full over but the ship won't turn" bug again that got me killed. Seriously, this is as old as the game itself and WG still can't fix it.

Don't worry, 2018 year of the CV

Beta Tester
2,029 posts
2,749 battles

No I don't have problems with the autopilot. Mostly because I don't trust it, and therefore never use it :P

[FDUSH]
Players
1,194 posts
6,749 battles

Probably some other allied ship blocked you and the autopilot tried to avoid it, eventually pushing you away from your intended target. That happened to me alot of times.

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles

Cant say I have ever used the thing myself.

I change course to react to incoming fire too often for it to be a feasible option

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

I've used it on occasion when I'm too lazy and it's too long before something will happen. Or if I need to AFK a minute or two. Never had a problem with it during those times.

[WCWVE]
Players
818 posts
12,459 battles

I never use Autopilot but I have noticed that ships will not turn even with rudder hard over and the other thing I have noticed is that occasionally your ship will turn in the opposite way to where you ware heading i.e. you are heading east along the flank of an island, a gap is to starboard and astern and your ship will turn into the gap for no apart reason whatsoever.  This mainly happens with CV's when you are controlling the squadrons 

[RN]
Alpha Tester
920 posts

disable those warnings because even it drags you into an island and if u notice in time you still have to wait for the rudder to change direction

[THROW]
Players
577 posts
21,147 battles

Yep had a problem in ranked playing an enterprise on trident. I tried to turn around behind the big island at the back then go toward b cap with my team and after about 3 minutes My ship was still figuring out which way to turn around so I ended up bow on to the enemy pushing through A. But hey it's not a priority to fix is it....

Players
804 posts
12,839 battles

I didn't submit a vote because I haven't had problems with autopilot since a few patches, but I still remember those I suffered with Hiryu in Neighbours (always northern spawn, northermost ship) when I established my autopilot hexagon waiting to see where the team decided to go and to reduce planes' flight path, then realising two minutes later that I was sailing towards B cap. It also happened once with Ryujo that I set a path for sailing away from incoming ships (Two Brothers, east from D cap) but the ship insisted in sailing into the cap zone and towards them, thus ending up brawling a König and an Emerald IIRC. Apart from those strange cases, it's basically what DFens_666 described: the CV, either by collision avoidance or because of an improper placement, getting stuck around a waypoint (mainly with Shokaku, but sometimes with Hiryu too). The reason for that, I think, is because the turning circle is wider than the one for the waypoint, and thus the autopilot keeps the ship turning, trying to reach it to no avail.

Salute.