You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Thin_Brown_Line

British Cruisers are CRAP!

59 comments in this topic

Players
7 posts
1,198 battles

The British Crusier are UTTER CRAP! The only thing they do well is sink. I have worked hard to get to tier 7 (even enjoyed early success with 6 kills in 1 game and going 4on1 and winning), to what I was told via all the Youtube videos was the best ship in the line only to find it is as just as much a piece of crap as the others and don't get me started on Tier 8. I routinely struggle to get more than 2000 points from a full broadside this is ridiculous, analysis of hits on target shows less 400 damage points per round compare this to potential damage of 3000. Yes I know you have to hit the broadside of a citadel (and no doubt at point bank range) to get those kind of fingers but to count a good game as one where you get 300 out of 3000 damage per shell it taking the piss . Destroyers can destroy this ship at will and there is little that can be done about it. From the pre game stats I can see that the British Cruisers have 1/2 the artillery scores of their counterparts, if they have to made of paper at least give them guns that are capable of doing more than scratching paint. I am getting very sick of this game as sinking is no fun inside the first 5 minutes of the game. Unless you make significant changes to these ships so that they can compete with their rivals I can see me either going onto a different line or more likely just removing the game from my machine entirely.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Bad 3

[NWP]
Players
4,397 posts
6,249 battles

HTTP2kubWFrZWFnaWYuY29tL21lZGlhLzgtMTQtM

Serious tho: I can understand that till T5 when someone says, RN CLs are crap, thats a given.

But Leander + Fiji? They are pure awesome. The RN ships are probably hardest to master from all Cruiser lines, but when u get it right, they are totaly devastating.

5a501b71dd6ec_RNCLs.thumb.jpg.600ba7709ceae7e6db95f860c27b26ce.jpg

Sure, if u want them buff, im all in for it :cap_like::cap_haloween:But i dont think u quiet thought this one through for ppl who actually can play those ships...

• Funny 1

Players
4,085 posts
6,265 battles
Just now, Thin_Brown_Line said:

So what are you doing that I am not?

Do you have replays enabled? upload one of your and ill happily give you advise.

[NWP]
Players
4,397 posts
6,249 battles

Do u have a reply from one of your games?

Yes, this is special for me too, but maybe it helps u? Didnt have another at hand, but got some Fiji videos too, but itll take some time to upload.

General rules for RN CLs:

Dont go alone. Follow your DDs. If u kill the enemy DD, u have much more freedom. And RN CLs are aweseome DD hunters.

Map awareness is key to playing RN Cls. Always have an escape route available when u smoke, because everyone likes to shoot at RN CLs.

Angling is very important, u might still eat damage, but not massive citadel damage when u show full broadside.

• Cool 3

[EST]
[EST]
Players
811 posts
18,827 battles
3 minutes ago, Thin_Brown_Line said:

As your main concern seemed to be damage, i would say angle of shots and aiming point (height).

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Lol. Saying things like that about the RN cruiser line is a taboo here on the Forum. You are supposed to say those sods are the absolute best there is. Well, from one POV I temp to agree they are the best ships.... To shoot at. I can't stress enough it's my absolute biggest hobby to one shot a whiner just a millisecond after he disappears in his pathetic smoke cloud. Or even better: spotter plane, well aimed shot and blind fire him from there. A good second best is to keep a BB in range of that island he's hiding behind the whole time and make sure it's under shot from both directions all the time, so it must stay behind his rock the entire game. No, they are hilariously fun to counter them. A good runner up is I'd rather, no extremely much rather give full broadside to a Yamato and turn my rear towards the pingpongballpewpewing shooting cloud, cause I know that guy has been sitting behind his rock the whole time and was waiting for that opportunity to finally start to smoke fire me. It's giving me a huge thrill he (she) has been useless the entire game to his team and continue to do so for that 1000 dmg out of 75 shots.... I love to troll those sorry sods....

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 5
  • Bad 1

Players
7 posts
1,198 battles
4 minutes ago, Profilus said:

As your main concern seemed to be damage, i would say angle of shots and aiming point (height).

care to elaborate on that so I know how to improve?

Players
4,085 posts
6,265 battles

Big words @Ferry_25 . Lets see if faith pairs us one day and you can try - I think you just lack the knowldege of what RN CLs can do - your Belfast stats support that theory...

@Thin_Brown_Line did you look the video posted? And do you have replays enabled? Its easier to look at someone playing and tell him, where are the mistakes, then to say "look at youtube".

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,718 posts
9,234 battles

You need to stop powerleveling up the branch with hope that you'll do better next tier, and starting looking at tutorials.

Seriously, dealing the equivalent in damage as a 1/3rd of your ship's total health in a battle on average is simply insufficient.
It' a miracle you grinded with 40% WR up to T8 without losing your mind.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,454 battles

WHAT?! Are you serious?!

The British Cruisers are the only Cruisers left that are still somewhat viable! They get smoke, radar, repairs and even pretty decent torps, what more do you want?

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles
16 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Big words @Ferry_25 . Lets see if faith pairs us one day and you can try - I think you just lack the knowldege of what RN CLs can do - your Belfast stats support that theory...

Oh yeah. Those 18 matches I did. That's giving a clear and very viable insight in my performance, now doesn't it? All I'm saying is my opnion from the POV playing against a RN pingpongballpewpewer. And I am not impressed at all. Yes I did get sunk by a awesome torpedo ambush and by a very lucky closeby broadside citadel from them. Or that once in 10000 matches I get caught with my pants down in a T8 DD, being obliterated by a Half-cow, from his smoke of course, me thinking it was a DD from which I should be able to take a punch or 2, when all the planets where aligned and their CV somehow facerolled his planes straight toward me.

I'm not saying I'm invincible against them. Sadly there are no stats to see (as far as I know) where you can see what ship sank you, how many times and how. My gut feeling those occasions are a very overwhelming minority due to RN cruisers.

Those 18 matches in Belfast, no by far any good results, granted (was almost always in a T9 match) are more than the other matches combined in that POS line. And what is my beef with them? That insane idea not to give them HE. Who on Earth, heaven or hell could have thought that is a good idea?

Edit: I gladly take up that glove @ForlornSailor In fact I'm sincerely hoping you'll prove me wrong...

• Cool 1

Players
7 posts
1,198 battles
On 1/6/2018 at 3:03 AM, SovietFury43 said:

WHAT?! Are you serious?!

The British Cruisers are the only Cruisers left that are still somewhat viable! They get smoke, radar, repairs and even pretty decent torps, what more do you want?

When a DD can take 1000+ points a shot of you (not broadside) I will settle for the ability to put my head between my knees and kiss my [edited]goodbye.  As returning fire is a waste of time when I am not taking similar points off him.

On 1/6/2018 at 2:58 AM, ForlornSailor said:

@Thin_Brown_Line did you look the video posted? And do you have replays enabled? Its easier to look at someone playing and tell him, where are the mistakes, then to say "look at youtube".

I will watch the above video next time I am on-line. Though I have watched most if not all of the ones already on yourtube.  No I do not believe that I have replays enabled, let me guess it is not a tickbox somewhere is it?

As for Ferry_25 you lend weight to my theory that everyone sees a RN Cruiser and goes on a damage farming trip heaven knows it is easy enough.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,454 battles

When a DD can take 1000+ points a shot of you (not broadside) I will settle for the ability to put my head between my knees and kiss my [edited]goodbye.  As returning fire is a waste of time when I am not taking similar points off him.

If you are not doing 1k+ to a DD per broadside, there is something wrong with your gunnery. 

Its pretty self explanatory, but with RN Cruisers you need to shoot the flat (relative to you) surfaces since they shoot AP. Against BBs you can easily pull 4 to 5k salvos if your aim is decent. 

• Cool 1

Players
4,085 posts
6,265 battles
3 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

Or that once in 10000 matches I get caught with my pants down in a T8 DD, being obliterated by a Half-cow, from his smoke of course, me thinking it was a DD from which I should be able to take a punch or 2, when all the planets where aligned and their CV somehow facerolled his planes straight toward me.

Well.. You have to realize, that we are basically not talking about ships and what they can do - but about their captains and what they can do with that ship. Last part is the bigger factor tbh. f.e. on my screen - take a guess, what I sank. And trust me, I didnt need smoke for that :)

let me guess it is not a tickbox somewhere is it?

Nope, you need to go to the config-file. Dunno why that is... Check here how to do it : https://na.wargaming.net/support/kb/articles/517

6 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

That insane idea not to give them HE. Who on Earth, heaven or hell could have thought that is a good idea?

Oh boy, I just can imagine what I could do with Fiji - or even worse: Neptune & Minotaur if they´d have HE. Absolute monsters. Altough, I would need more captainskillpoints, cuz IFHE+DE+CE+AA build doesnt work with 19 points :Smile_teethhappy:

shot-17.12.29_13.26.04-0702.jpg

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,454 battles
On 1/6/2018 at 3:20 AM, Thin_Brown_Line said:

Thank you Captain Obvious!

Well if there is something wrong with your gunnery, it is hardly the RN Cruisers fault now is it?

Watch the video DFens_666 and see how he aims.

Up to tier 6 the RN Cruisers are pretty shitty, tier 6 and up they are some of the best in the game.

On 1/6/2018 at 3:19 AM, ForlornSailor said:

Oh boy, I just can imagine what I could do with Fiji - or even worse: Neptune & Minotaur if they´d have HE. Absolute monsters. Altough, I would need more captainskillpoints, cuz IFHE+DE+CE+AA build doesnt work with 19 points :Smile_teethhappy:

Thats basically the Belfast :D

• Cool 1

Players
7 posts
1,198 battles
1 minute ago, SovietFury43 said:

Well if there is something wrong with your gunnery, it is hardly the RN Cruisers fault now is it?

Watch the video DFens_666 and see how he aims.

I would say when I am already angled circa 45 degrees to the shot it is not too much to expect the "armour" to do something

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,454 battles

I would say when I am already angled circa 45 degrees to the shot it is not too much to expect the "armour" to do something

Yeah... Dont expect it to do something. Dont allow yourself to be caught in the open (or alone) with RN Cruisers, they are LIGHT Cruisers, that pretty much means they are made of wet tissue paper. Thats why you have smoke and repairs. 

The "armor" is pretty much there to keep the rain out the sleeping quarters.

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles
8 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

<snip> to your quotes to me

Then I am about 100% sure I never met you in a RN cruiser Forlorn... Now I really love to meet you in battle while you're playing one of those. (checking to make sure I was not on that battle you were portraying).

Regarding the ammo: I don't mind playing a ship with just enough armor to fuse any AP shell, I also highly like the fact the RN cruisers don't or hardly lose speed in turning, the AA can be awesome (when properly specced) and the "1 line torpedo spread option" is something which I highly find interesting. It's purely the lack of HE what's bothering me. To zoom it out a little bit of topic: the "main focus on HE" on the BB line I find ridiculous as well. Was quite surprised the BB's got AP in the first place. Elsewhere I sincerely asked the question (really 100% serious about that matter, no joke) if the upcoming RN DD line will be able to shoot torpedo's....

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
4,397 posts
6,249 battles

45 degree angle isnt enough to bounce shells. Its like this:

0-30 degrees -> auto ricochet (0-22.5 for USN 8" shells)

30-45 degrees -> chance to ricochet (22.5-30 for USN 8" shells)

45-90 degrees -> ricochet doesn't occur (30-90 for USN 8" shells)

And then there is Overmatch mechanics. When the caliber is 14,3 times higher than the armor, it will automatically penetrate that part.

F.e. RN CLs have 16mm Bow/Stern Armor. Any caliber bigger then 229mm (only BBs and Henri IV) can overmatch it, thus u cant angle against it. Only option is to angle with your citadel armor belt which has 102mm plating. This can bounce any shell in the game with the correct angle, which protects your citadel. But wont protect you from damage if the shell hit Bow/Stern/Upper Belt. IN the video f.e. when the Große Kurfürst shoots me, i make a mistake at showing my flat stern. He penetrates it and even citadels me.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,195 posts
9,026 battles

Hi all,

57 minutes ago, Thin_Brown_Line said:

The British Crusier are UTTER CRAP! The only thing they do well is sink. I have worked hard to get to tier 7 (even enjoyed early success with 6 kills in 1 game and going 4on1 and winning), to what I was told via all the Youtube videos was the best ship in the line only to find it is as just as much a piece of crap as the others and don't get me started on Tier 8. I routinely struggle to get more than 2000 points from a full broadside this is ridiculous, analysis of hits on target shows less 400 damage points per round compare this to potential damage of 3000. Yes I know you have to hit the broadside of a citadel (and no doubt at point bank range) to get those kind of fingers but to count a good game as one where you get 300 out of 3000 damage per shell it taking the piss . Destroyers can destroy this ship at will and there is little that can be done about it. From the pre game stats I can see that the British Cruisers have 1/2 the artillery scores of their counterparts, if they have to made of paper at least give them guns that are capable of doing more than scratching paint. I am getting very sick of this game as sinking is no fun inside the first 5 minutes of the game. Unless you make significant changes to these ships so that they can compete with their rivals I can see me either going onto a different line or more likely just removing the game from my machine entirely.

The RN Cruisers are GREAT! :Smile_honoring:

I think that the "issue" here is the lack of battles on your behalf... you have below 700 battles and you are already at Tier VII (and complaining)... IMHO you are "climbing the tier ladder" way way too fast... please slow down and play each tier thoroughly...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 2