Sign in to follow this  
DB2212

Is there an idiots guide to IFHE?

17 comments in this topic

Question

Players
649 posts
6,863 battles

As per title, is there a definitive guide to when IFHE is needed, or advantages to IFHE over DE, or vice versa? Is there a case for using both?

I've trawled through the forums but can't find what I'm looking for.

• Funny 1

16 answers to this question

Players
1,059 posts
7,781 battles

Flamu made a video about it.

HE armor penetration = caliber/6.

German HE armor penetration = caliber/4

Less than that shatters with no damage, more than than pens and does damage. IFHE multiplies that number by 1.3. Typically, you pick IFHE for cruisers with 150-180 mm caliber to penetrate those 32 mm BB bows and with Akizuki  to penetrate DD hulls and bigger ship superstructures with HE. 200 mm CA guns don't benefit from IFHE.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,657 battles

The short and simplified version would be -> guns up to and including 194mm caliber want IFHE, those of 195mm and higher caliber generally don't need it.

Exceptions would be something like

*German cruisers already have better HE penetration (cal/4 instead of normal cal/6) so they kind of get around without it aswell

*at tiers 5 and below you need IFHE up to 152mm guns, for those tiers 153mm and larger guns are good enough without it

But that's already going into more specifics, which those links will provide to you.

• Cool 2

[ETD5]
Players
295 posts
1,653 battles
9 hours ago, DB2212 said:

Is there any benefit to running IFHE and DE?

Yes. IFHE has a downside. It reduces de fire chance (guns caliber under 139mm reduces it by 1% and guns caliber equal or above 139 reduces it by 3%). So you need DE to minimize that effect specially for cruisers (excluding KM cruisers, they don't need IFHE).

• Cool 1

Players
649 posts
6,863 battles
11 hours ago, Vlad_Vado said:

Yes. IFHE has a downside. It reduces de fire chance (guns caliber under 139mm reduces it by 1% and guns caliber equal or above 139 reduces it by 3%). So you need DE to minimize that effect specially for cruisers (excluding KM cruisers, they don't need IFHE).

Thank you Vlad_Vlado :Smile_honoring:

Players
4,046 posts
7,579 battles

A couple of important things to note:

• penatration is rounded to the nearest whole number;
  • that penetration value must be higher than the armour;

otherwise the round will shatter.

So, as an example, 152 mm from Cleveland divided by 6 gives 25.3 mm, which is rounded to 25 mm, which means it will not penetrate 25 mm of armour, 155 from Mogami however gives 25.8 mm, which rounds to 26 mm so it will penetrate 25 mm.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Weekend Tester
807 posts

IFHE is one of the more complicated things in the game as far as game design AND user friendliness is concerned. There are resources available and already linked in this conversation, but to make things simple here's a not complete but somewhat representative list of ships you want IFHE on:

Akizuki. 

Akizuki!

AKIZUKI

152mm Mogami

Kutuzov

Belfast

Chapayev

Donskoi

Cleveland

Atlanta

Budyonny

Maybe La Galisonniere

Perth

I may have forgotten some and there are lower tier ships that can benefit from IFHE, but 10 point captains at that level are shameful sealclubbing so you surely can't be even considering that anyway.

Note that with a few exceptions IFHE is not mandatory (AKIZUKI) and as a very expensive skill with some drawbacks (fire chance) you might want to pick something else instead. There's a case to be made for (German) battleship secondary builds with IFHE, but IMRO that would be so ridiculously expensive (secondary build BBs are already questionable due to how much you pay for the necessary skills even without IFHE) that I seriously advice against it unless purely for lols.

• Cool 1

Players
649 posts
6,863 battles
2 hours ago, AndyHill said:

I may have forgotten some and there are lower tier ships that can benefit from IFHE, but 10 point captains at that level are shameful sealclubbing so you surely can't be even considering that anyway.

Nope, I would never do that.

Well, I might have a few captains with 12/13 skills on tier IV ships  :Smile_hiding:

[POI--]
Players
6,080 posts
7,325 battles
On 2.2.2018 at 5:04 PM, AndyHill said:

152mm Mogami

Mogami has 155 mm guns, but yes, 155 mm also benefits from IFHE. In general, any 152-155 mm armed ship benefits from it, except the British CLs that spam AP only. German 150 mm guns would benefit, if they didn't already get better penetration.

On DDs, the only ships I'd take IFHE on is Akizuki and Harekaze, though theoretically low tier DDs with ~100 mm guns obviously could benefit, as you'd be able to shoot the bow and stern of battleships then, instead of just the (often negligible) superstructure. But most people don't use 10 pt captain on a tier III-V boat.

German secondaries benefit from IFHE, as it allows the smaller caliber guns to actually penetrate the bow section of enemy ships, thus doing damage even against opponents that are bow tanking you, but it's of questionable value if the enemy is not bow-tanking, as secondaries fire at the centre of the ship, thus broadside, or angled broadside will either hit superstructure, doing damage it would also do without IFHE or hit the belt, shattering anyway. It's usually a far too steep investment though, as you'd invest in IFHE ontop of AFT and Manual Secondaries, which sacrifices a lot of survivability skills just for a bit of extra damage.

[GWDYS]
Community Contributor
263 posts
9,117 battles

Basically you want to have IFHE on every cruiser which has 152mm guns, because that would enable you to pen 32mm of armor and make them on par with 203mm guns in penetretion values. :Smile_hiding:

[POP]
Weekend Tester
807 posts

Oh yeah, one more very important consideration; gun size tends to increase with tiers, often making ifhe pointless (no ifhe ships at tier x so far). Plan accordingly and always think where your captain is going to end up so you don't have to do unnecessary skill resets.

[-TPF-]
Players
2,431 posts
11,044 battles

IFHE is also useful at mid-tiers if you have a ship which has inconsistent or too-good AP. 

I find Dunkerque's AP to be decent at short/mid-ranges but behaves badly over 12k - putting IFHE on the Dunq means you can citadel cruisers reliably at range when AP would barely make a dent, either through bounce or over-pens. That's quite important when that tier is full of HE spamming Clevelands and Nurnbergs. I've not tested the upcoming French BBs but I suspect they have the same AP issues so IFHE might also be a valuable skill there, too. 

Sign in to follow this