Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Butterdoll

Bag of basic questions

12 comments in this topic

[L4GG]
Players
1,657 posts
6,503 battles

Well, at this point my compass kind of broke.

I'm pretty much clueless.

Through out my grinding so far I favoured agile cls with great ROF but then Budyonni appeared and stole the show. I love that ship, Specially after I slapped a premium camo on it.

Nothing new with it, I remember the time, back in the days, when I thought Omaha was the crap.

But Buddy's shadow eclipsed T7 ships (Which by the way it's a desert).

Recently I've unlocked a new ship Gneisenau, I didn't took it to random yet, but I'm testing it in co-op, I'm doing the same thing ( in the offensive) that I do with buddy, only better.  I don't have the other hull yet and let's see in random, but so far Gneisenau show potential.

Yeah! I'm a cruiser main, used to HE bbs, so now I'm a bit embarrassed to put this basic questions to tell you the truth.:Smile_hiding:

Which are the Brawling BBs?

Which BBs have turtle back armour except the germans ones?

Where the best spot to land AP shells in a turtle Armour BB while  brawling or when taking advantage of a broadside?

Now premiums.

Again, Budyonni.

Are there any premium ships Budyonni alike?

( Sharnhorst- the G wagon that scares the plebes and runs from the Authorities at the same time, that saying it's still in my head)

Gneisenau can take both down, isn't it better?

Having Gneisenau and going finally for Bismark

Is it worth having the Tirpitz?

How is Perth?

Ships that I scratched from my list.

Molotov

Makarov

Atago

thank you for your patience.

Players
350 posts
3,426 battles

Some random answers:

King of brawling bbs are germans.

When you fight other bbs, if they're broadside shoot like other ships, they don't have citadel but 5-6 full pens do a lot of damage. If they are angled shoot ap at superstructures or main guns, you'll disable them (or switch to HE).

I loved budyonny too, way better than Shchors. I think the premium closest ship should be De Grasse. (don't have it though).

Tirpitz is very similar to Bismarck, with torps instead of hydro and premium credit earning.

I suggest you to try Bismarck and see if you like it, then buy Tirpitz.

[MIRAI]
Players
756 posts
4,998 battles

I think your question would be better in the newcomers section, but it should be fine now.

German BB's are the best brawling machines

AP should be fired at the enemys citadel which isn't that easy at long range

Perth is unique like the new asia CL, 'cause of the smoke. But i wouldn't buy this ship.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,229 posts
6,768 battles

Belfast and Kutuzov are the closest thing to a Budyonny.

Another possibility would be Duca d'Aosta or Molotov. De Grasse is closer to a Cleveland.

I don't understand why people don't like Shchors. With IFHE you have the DPM of a tier 8, and the ship is fast with long range. You don't brawl with russians CLs/CAs. They are long-range support ships.

If you want to brawl with cruiser, go get the germans. Hindenburg is the best brawler ingame.

German BBs are the best brawler, but that doesn't mean the other can't. Honestly I find those "brawler" uninteresting to play. They are one-trick pony. I like much better the mid-range, fast gameplay of the Kongou, Amagi, KGV, Iowa or Montana, or the "muh fortress" gameplay of the Yamato, Nelson or Alabama/NC (though Yamato, Alabama and NC are quite good at moving around the map at 10-13km too)

German BBs are overall easy to play, but they need good situational awareness to know when to push. If you miss the timing you'll either stay useless at range until it's too late or die quickly. And since players camps more and more...

Turtleback ships are :

- Most of the old dreadnough, including New Mex. German BBs. Amagi. Kii (though Kii is still easy to citadel), French battleships (though they are also citadel-able)

As for where to aim on turtleback ships : 

- With BB caliber, just aim low or in the upper part of the hull. It's easy 25-30k damage depending on the angle and the number of shells hitting.

- Anything else, from 240 to 150mm of caliber : upper part of the hull, close to the deck. AP will penetrate there.

Players
440 posts
5,824 battles
25 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

But Buddy's shadow eclipsed T7 ships (Which by the way it's a desert).

Wrong -> my pensacola or indianapolis can sink that Buddy in no time thanks to its juicy citadel.

Ships that I scratched from my list.

Molotov -> so no love for thos railguns??

Makarov -> as good as its (original) German counterpart but agree not worth buying as the German original is already very good.

Atago -> So no best T8 cruiser with heal?

Scharn = cruiser killer >< Gneise = real BB -> keeping in mind they can both face some other T7BB which have bigger guns and can lolpen them (nagato-colorado).

Bismarck - tirpitz same or almost -> plenty of BB tomatoes trying to yolo brawl with both and dying very fast.

Premium like Budy? Yeah MK but not for sale anymore, as great a HE spammer and as squishy....

After 3k battles it is maybe time to ask those questions....

(and I am also a cruiser main)

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,048 posts
5,830 battles
2 hours ago, SinkTheOthersNotMe said:

Premium like Budy? Yeah MK but not for sale anymore, as great a HE spammer and as squishy....

If you mean the Makarov it's available for in-game gold as i bought it last week (or this week).

I'm not sure about the Molotov as that has been in my collection since it was released.  Nice guns.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,405 posts
7,851 battles
1 hour ago, BrusilovX said:

If you mean the Makarov it's available for in-game gold as i bought it last week (or this week).

I'm not sure about the Molotov as that has been in my collection since it was released.  Nice guns.

MK= Mikhail Kutusov

On Topic: I am kind of surprised you don't like Atago if you liked Budy. Atago is basically the same longrange HE playstyle only that Atago comes with the stealth to disappear and reposition and a rare (for Tier VIII CA) heal.

Perth is a very unique ship with a weird kind of playstyle. The special smoke mod is almost mandatory and as long as smoke runs you go in up and personal to hunt DDs and cap. Then when smoke is about to run out you widen the distance and keep kiting until your smoke comes off CD. I would say Perth playstyle without smoke is also kind of similar to Budy, but you also have to master the smoke phase of playstyle which requires excellent positioning to get out alive and in time. Oh and it comes with a cute Koala easteregg. :fish_cute_2:

Be sceptical though, because Perth is my absolute favourite ship in the game (even though i am normaly a DD main) so i am naturally heavily biased.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,002 posts
24,119 battles

Well I have played Perth from time to time as I have so many ships, but it is a different ship. Can only concur with Miessa3 that it is weird, you have to think and if you do it wrong you will be punished, but there is no ship like it (maybe HuangHe). Problem is that you so far have a dedicated captain for her as there is no tree. But if you want a different ship from your Budyonny and fun  and quite demanding this is the ship for you.

I like Budyonny too but have played the T8 Chapayev and Mikael Kutuzov (swhich I bought in time) far more. But if it is T6 f.e. in scenarios I have tried Budyonny, I can live with squishyness but I do not like poor guns so the Russian ships are for me. There are several RU ships but when I have 19 p on Chappa there is not so much incentive or me to play T7 . I play Bogatyr , Budyonny, Chappa and Kutuzov. Most others are idle atm, Moskva is too clumsy.

I rather play Zao then, somewhat similar to RU style.

[L4GG]
Players
1,657 posts
6,503 battles

thank you all for the much needed answers

Yes, I'm more used to be in the receiving end, BB's wise.

My only experience with the Tirpitz so far was with Magnus-S (decent ship, torps got knock out very easily, tho).

Yeah, Kutuzov, but  not much I can do now.

The problem with Shchors, it's a fun ship, it's what Pensa should be without those awful guns but both are very limited but at least Shchors have those excellent guns. Pensa it's just a floating turd.

With buddy it's different I can do it all, long range, mid range, close range, I can ambush, I can go behind enemy lines, I've sunk Kidds, I've sunk it all to T8.

So same here, I've sunk Pensas in no time. It's not that hard honestly.

Rail guns are a most and yes I like Kirov but each time I look to Molotov armour the only thing that comes into my mind it's the "Turd" (Pensa).

I didn't play German cruisers enough, so far, only to t5 but I'm not impressed at least like I was with Buddy. But Hindenburg it's under my eye. From what I've seen and eared it's a most have in my port. 

the problem with Atago it's simple, it's just not my style, the last IJN cruiser that I loved was Kuma (my second favourite ship as we speak). I liked furutaka, after that it's downhill. So Atago's pretty much scratched.

Very recently I demolished two De grasse without many fuzz and that made me waver in my previous resolve in buying it, a better LaGal I like LaGal, when I need it I turn to LaGal more often than I turn to Cleveland e.g.

But in other hand, nice guns, shell velocity +- 840m/s against budyonni's 950 m/s .

40knots speed, 2x3 torpedoes against LaGal's 2x2

Duca it's an option too. 1000 m/s ap and 950 M/s initial HE shell velocity. Please tell me that isn't as squichy as the "Turd"

And probably Tirpitz or Roma or Giulio Cesare or Scharnhorst

Giulio Cesare  brings one reference along with it.

scares the crap out of me.

Your thoughts?

Players
4,085 posts
6,241 battles
50 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

On Topic: I am kind of surprised you don't like Atago if you liked Budy. Atago is basically the same longrange HE playstyle only that Atago comes with the stealth to disappear and reposition and a rare (for Tier VIII CA) heal.

Huh. Tbh, Budyonny and Atago play very differently. You want to use your detectability range to the max with atago, as in beeing between 9 to 10 km to the enemy to torpedo them. Use the terrain for sneak attacks, then give them a fire on the way. Budyonny I dont play anything as close to the enemy as this. Long range, HE all over the place, if the match has setteled, get in there and take the rest with AP.

5 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

( Sharnhorst- the G wagon that scares the plebes and runs from the Authorities at the same time, that saying it's still in my head)

Gneisenau can take both down, isn't it better?

As @SinkTheOthersNotMe mentioned, they are pretty different, altought they look alike on the first glance. Im a cruiser main aswell and im thinking myself of getting the Scharnhorst. Its just a better version of a cruiser afterall. btw - you could look at the Graf Spee aswell. Many ppl dont like it, but it can really deliver. It eats T8 cruisers like nothing and can punish BBs pretty hard aswell. On top of that - awesome torpedos, good secondaries and ok AA. What its not good at: HE spam. But neither is the Scharnhorst made for that.

[L4GG]
Players
1,657 posts
6,503 battles

Sometimes when I'm ambushed with my buddy waiting for the right moment to make my move I often think to myself only if I had smoke.

I putted a premium camo on it, more opportunities arisen for buddy, it gave the freedom to do more than long range spamming.

independently of how things turn out.

But at first it took me some time to adapt.

The same i am expecting  with smoke if I'll go that way.

I'm looking forward to Chappy, someone else recommended it too to me before, with you now it's two recommendations.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,319 posts
12,370 battles

Duca D'Aosta is still a CA so it is per definition kind of quishy, however I would not call her overly squishy.

Get a speed flag for 38.3kt max speed and IFA on your captain and you can speed/evade tank rather nicely because the ship is slim, has a good rudder shift and given the high speed still what I would call a tight turning circle.

It has a nice concealment of only 10.3km (with CE skill) and some nice 12km area denial torps with a decent reload (71sec), so if need be you can play as a make-shift DD.

What it has not: Gun range (only 14km without spotter plane - which the ship has access to - so you will be quite literally living on the edge very often), DPM (only 8 guns on 7.5sec reload), AA (though it can mount both the hydro and AA consumable simultaneously) and hit points (29700 only).

All in all I find the Duca quity fun to play (for a low level cruiser that is).

Sign in to follow this