You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Enduro_Biker

Not rewarding BB tanking = BB sniping meta = Bad Game Design

22 comments in this topic

Players
36 posts
3,564 battles

Hi all again,

First if I love this game. So eventough I have some constructive critisism I really like this game, it is one of the most fun and entertaining I have played.

I do belive that the issue we can notice with BB sniping comes down to not rewarding tanking in the first place.

Some have stated in another thread that the fundamental game design is damage based for xp rewards and advance.

I dont have critisism against that, and belive it should stay. However something has to be done against the BB sniping meta.

If WG rewards tanking damage even more the will to push caps might increase. The reward doesen´t have to be XP based.

It could be you get 3 damge tanking medals and 5 camo as reward/ 12 hours of premium as an example. Or you could make a tanking damage event  with a latter to climb.

After you have gained 20 tanking medals you get 250 doubloons. I am sure WG can come up with something., they are game developers after all. :cap_rambo: (pew pew)

Thanks for reading my thread have a great day Captains :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Players
440 posts
5,824 battles

Why the hell reward even more BB tomatoes???

Even the sniping BB 20km will tank at one point -> while he is trying to pass the border to the map next door that BB might still be able to tank when he is the last one left............

Yesterday, my pepsicola in a T9 game tanked more than any other T9BB in the team -> please reward that, never ever reward tomatoes BB who can't even reach the server's average for WR and dmg.......

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
4,483 posts
9,797 battles

Problem is, the tard sitting in the back "sniping"  is still going to get overrun by the enemy at the end and end up getting just as much bonus rewards from the damage he takes then. Just like a "sniper" can top the scoreboard as he does incidental damage for 10 minutes and then get to take on damaged enemies as they push to finish him off as their last enemy.

Players
306 posts
5,559 battles

Why should they reward a BB for sitting behind the cap even though they have all their citadel submerged and yet they are scared to go forward.

[CATS]
Players
15,960 posts
11,203 battles

Rewards for tanking

• Winning, +50% XP + 50% XP for first win of the day
  • Dreadnought + 10 Flags that improve healing
  • Fireproof + 10 Flags that reduce fire duration

You need more than that?

• Cool 4

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,413 posts
7,851 battles

As far as I renember tanking in BBs get rewarded already.

There is an extra stat called "potential damage" for a reason....

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

What @Miessa3 and @ColonelPete said.

Tanking is already rewarded and you get achievements and signals for it. I would even include Unsinkable.

The problem is that the "I must stay at 20 km and snipe" kind if player does so with every ship (i.e. they stay as far away as possible), probably for different reasons. Some might still not know that the repair costs don't depend on the damage you took anymore or that tanking is rewarded at all because patch notes are overrated, right?

However, I agree with OP that making the effort to tank a bit more visually appealing might help. Something along the line of for every 500k potential damage the player gets a tanking ribbon. This doesn't need to change anything with the reward system, though. Just a hint that the player recognizes "Hey, the more I get shot at (and survive) the higher the reward".

• Cool 1

Players
1,058 posts
7,695 battles
10 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

As far as I renember tanking in BBs get rewarded already.

There is an extra stat called "potential damage" for a reason....

Potential damage and spotting damage already get rewarded. I'm not sure if the reward is weighed differently for different ships, though. 

3 hours ago, AgarwaenME said:

Problem is, the tard sitting in the back "sniping"  is still going to get overrun by the enemy at the end and end up getting just as much bonus rewards from the damage he takes then. Just like a "sniper" can top the scoreboard as he does incidental damage for 10 minutes and then get to take on damaged enemies as they push to finish him off as their last enemy.

The important main difference of the economy revamp was that now it is rewarded to duke it out as a last ditch effort rather than running to the border, avoiding any damage and hiding. What comes to getting overrun, if he dies fast, it is not as effective tanking as properly tanking for the team with good positioning. Best tanking happens in positions where you can defend without being overun, but the enemy team doesn't want your ship to be for reasons like providing a flanking threat for their plans.

The problem with the sniping BBs is that positioning is hard and hard things are more likely to fail. If you go too close, you die with poor results, if you stay too far, you're not helping the team enough, ending with a poor result as well. If the game is close, the winning team is less likely to take a risk by pushing the camper if they are playing smart. Ships take time to manouver, so you'll need to account for that when making your play. So the camper isn't getting rewarded for tanking as consistently as the person who actively pushes and tanks for his team. Effectiveness of tanking also depends of what enemies shoot at you. Getting shot by AP is better if you're angled, since you earn more potential damage due to AP's higher alpha and HE being more reliable ammo type for dealing damage.

• Cool 1

[MIRAI]
Players
756 posts
5,001 battles

Sniping BB's such a new problem, anyway WG could introduce mission for each ship class. They done it in WoWP 2.0 and it could be working in WoWs too. Things like : tank 2 million damage as a BB, or do 200k spotting damage as a DD.

Players
748 posts
11,447 battles

I dont know how potetial damage (dmg tanked) is rewarded but IMO it should decrease over time or over amount of your team/enemy team/players dead.

Example:

1) 1 potential damage in 5 minutes rewarded the same as 2 potential dmg  15 minutes into the game (Supose this dmg is done in 1 second) 

Reason: People tend to cap at the beggining, its the most important moment of the game, you should take some heat.

2) 1 potential dmg with everybody alive is rewarded as 2 potential dmg when half the players (total or on one team) are down. 

Reason: Take your part of the heat on purpose, the less ships are alive the less you are tanking for your team, you are just alone.

ATM its supposed to be rewarded (Creds and xp?), I would push it a bit further and be specific in the result tab, so players can see how much they won for tanking. Also give ribbons, people like ribbons. :Smile_medal:

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
5 minutes ago, Migulaitor said:

I dont know how potetial damage (dmg tanked) is rewarded but IMO it should decrease over time or over amount of your team/enemy team/players dead.

Example:

1) 1 potential damage in 5 minutes rewarded the same as 2 potential dmg  15 minutes into the game (Supose this dmg is done in 1 second) 

Reason: People tend to cap at the beggining, its the most important moment of the game, you should take some heat.

2) 1 potential dmg with everybody alive is rewarded as 2 potential dmg when half the players (total or on one team) are down. 

Reason: Take your part of the heat on purpose, the less ships are alive the less you are tanking for your team, you are just alone.

ATM its supposed to be rewarded (Creds and xp?), I would push it a bit further and be specific in the result tab, so players can see how much they won for tanking. Also give ribbons, people like ribbons. :Smile_medal:

WG won't publish what action gives how much exp and credits. At least not in detail. so a ribbon and/or a hint in the detailed battle report is the most you will get.

The thing with decreasing the worth of potential damage depending on the time or team members alive is flawed as well. I am happy to take the heat near a cap my team is engaging, however I can't influence who the enemy is shooting at. If they concentrate on my cruisers or DDs because they rushed in without waiting for backup and because they are more important to kill while my Yamato needs her time to get there and be an attractive target, you basically punish players about things they can't influence.

It is the same for making it dependant on team members alive. I have no (or at least close to no) influence over who gets focused by the enemy team or who gets torped while camping in smoke or who gets deleted by a single BB salvo because RNG if I am not even able to get there in time to draw fire. Again, punishing players for things they can't influence.

And why do you think that tanking is less important after 15 minutes? Is it really worth less if I put myself between the enemy fleet and their base and tank so the DD behind me can cap said enemy base and turn a game?  I don't think so.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,717 posts
9,234 battles

You could reward BBaddies with instant 1 million credits for getting within 5km of a cap, and they wouldn't notice or even care.

When the carrot doesn't work, you need to bring out the stick.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,454 battles

The sad an unfortunate truth is that you can not patch a morons brain.

Even if you reward tanking damage more, the morons will still be camping in the back and sniping until they are the last one left, and then go "tank" and cash in that as well. The only teal thing i can think of that would help would be to drastically cut the reward for BBs upon defeat. Maybe when the morons realize they can't fail their way to the Yamato, they may start actually fighting.

[NWP]
Players
4,385 posts
6,242 battles

Have to agree with @Exocet6951

U could offer 365 days premium for tanking a certain amount of damage, the stupid BB player probably wouldnt notice it at all...

The need to know anything or play above Potato-level doesnt really exist in this game. In the end u still win (not as often, but still), u get XP every game, u get Credits every game (where the game is actually lieing to u, since it says credits, but when u wont look at the last statpage u dont know if u lost or gained any), sometimes u get flags, and sometimes u dont even die (not that it matters, but bad players think it does, because "repair")...

Players
4,085 posts
6,258 battles
10 hours ago, Admiral_Surprise said:

I do belive that the issue we can notice with BB sniping comes down to not rewarding tanking in the first place.

Its gonna change nothing. Seriously, it wont. Simply, cuz the vast majority wont know about it or even IF they´d know, they wouldnt remember in battle. Hell, ppl still think, they´ll make more credits, if they dont sink - matter of fact: In a (noob-)stream I heard a guy saying "I need to play good now. Im low on credits. SO I CAN NOT TAKE ANY DAMAGE ON MY IZUMO". yep. thats whats really going on.

Supertester
2,374 posts
9,563 battles
10 hours ago, Admiral_Surprise said:

Hi all again,

First if I love this game. So eventough I have some constructive critisism I really like this game, it is one of the most fun and entertaining I have played.

Some have stated in another thread that the fundamental game design is damage based for xp rewards and advance.

I dont have critisism against that, and belive it should stay. However something has to be done against the BB sniping meta.

If WG rewards tanking damage even more the will to push caps might increase. The reward doesen´t have to be XP based.

It could be you get 3 damge tanking medals and 5 camo as reward/ 12 hours of premium as an example. Or you could make a tanking damage event  with a latter to climb.

After you have gained 20 tanking medals you get 250 doubloons. I am sure WG can come up with something., they are game developers after all. :cap_rambo: (pew pew)

Thanks for reading my thread have a great day Captains :Smile_honoring:

First of all you are wrong. Tanking is rewarded, quie heavily. Both in XP and money and also with an archievment which earns you flags to be better at tanking. Pointless thread is pointless.

Also, award for the worst idea of the day goes to:

"It could be you get 3 damge tanking medals and 5 camo as reward/ 12 hours of premium as an example".

Nice, that will produce a bunch of suiciding BB's ruining everyones game because they hope to get those juicy rewards to grind other ships. Brilliant!

Players
4,085 posts
6,258 battles
2 minutes ago, Earl_of_Northesk said:

Also, award for the worst idea of the day goes to:

"It could be you get 3 damge tanking medals and 5 camo as reward/ 12 hours of premium as an example".

Nice, that will produce a bunch of suiciding BB's ruining everyones game because they hope to get those juicy rewards to grind other ships. Brilliant!

LoL. tbh, I didnt even read this far :Smile_teethhappy:. Yea. What an awesome idea....

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,376 posts
9,288 battles

Played a game in my Missouri last night on the 'ocean' map. I pushed the lower cap to tank and help our one dd with my radar against the enemy dd. Had a Yamato on the enemy team firing at me from 15km, an enemy conquerer who turned and ran, and the enemy dd. our dd stayed and fought with me, our Yamato that was behind us decided to ignore our plea and stay as far back as he could so long as no-one was shooting at him.

I called him out, he said he cannot tank damage cause his citadels are weak. 52% win rate clan player. Fair enough, I don't have the Yamato but surely a tier x BB is able to help a Missouri by tanking some enemy fire off him. As is usually the case for these types of selfish solo players, he skirted the map border late game and was the last alive. I threatened to tell of his tale on the forums (obviously not) and upload the replay, but he wanted to upload it all in his latest video (I've never personally heard of him - so he cannot be someone of any significance whatsoever - and quite honestly I'm beyond caring).

I came near bottom that match with trying to help - tanking damage for so many minutes rewarded me nothing. If our Yamato had stepped up, moved forward and helped when asked the whole outcome of the game could have been different I'm sure. There is always a single player who could turn the tide of the battle, but when someone is so scared to step forward in a virtual game, how afraid are these individuals in real life? Why do people play a team based game and then do everything except play for the team?

Players
36 posts
3,564 battles

Thank you gentleman for taking time to replying to my thread :Smile_honoring:

I have read all the answears, some were constructive and some quite salty.

I realise the topic complex and I have to mention that I am talking about random matches in general.

Ranked games has proven be  more team oriented and players seem to have a better understanding of their ship  roles.

I shall return to the game, salute all & good luck in battle!

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Sniping BBs can only be levelled as criticism against the players.

As any BB that gets closer, we're talking 15km or even 12km and lower gets far better accuracy rather than speculative sniping.

It's just low skilled players do not know when to push and how to angle. They try to get closer and die so never return to the good accuracy zone.

Beta Tester
3,944 posts
14,412 battles
17 hours ago, Admiral_Surprise said:

Nope...

The greatest problem with "sniping meta" is that too many players in those big fat rustbuckets are utter female kittens, who nearly wet their pants every time someone shoots at them, so they try to stay as far away from the enemy as their gun range allows...

Things that won't change this "female kitten" meta are:

• giving more exp for tanking, as it wouldn't give those players dry underwear
  • telling players that there is no repair cost anymore, as they don't care about the cost, but the fact that they might die in battle... well, their ships, kinda, and that there are no extra lives available to immediately re(s)tard (respawn) in the same battle again
  • giving less exp for damage done, as they wouldn't notice any difference due to the minimal amounts of damage they do