Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
K4dy

Saipan [wrong neighborhood, lol / closed]

20 comments in this topic

[-TB-]
Players
13 posts
1,908 battles

Dear World of Warships team,

It is impossible to ignore the amount of "this ships is op" or "broken" comments that the Saipan receives constantly.

The biggest issue in my opinion is the way it can strafe out of a fight without loosing a plane and having the ammo capacity to do it many many times.

That in combination with tier 9 planes just being faster and more powerful.

And yes, a squad only has 3 planes and the Saipan does not have a big reserve.

But a skilled Saipan user will be using the "Air Supremacy" skill for his captain and will know when to strafe out and not loose a plane.

I opened a discussion in the forums once and submitted a ticket to the support center on this matter too:

https://eu.wargaming.net/support/tickets/2191766

I believe by looking into either of the following suggestions that it would balance the Saipan but not really decrease it's overall effectiveness.

-Don't give the saipan the ability to use the Air Supremacy skill (Or, if using the air supremacy skill, they loose the perk of not loosing a plane in a strafe out of combat)

-Reduce ammo capacity

-Reduce fighter's air speed

-Cooldown for Straferuns

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that 2018 will be a great year for WoWs!

-K4dy

• Angry 1

Players
1,130 posts
2,359 battles

Working with the air supremacy skill, changing it to only affect squadrons of 4 or more planes would be a very good start. It would also open up the option for WG to add things like single DB squadrons to use as scouts without air supremacy suddenly doubling their bombing potential.

Something else that would help would be to add an additional skill or an extra feature onto a carrier skill to punish disengaging players more, such as by reworking the expert rear gunner skill to also cause enemy squadrons to lose an additional plane whenever they disengage from one of your squadrons (so normal carriers would lose 2 fighters on a disengage, the Saipan would only lose 1).

Combining the above two points would bring the Saipan much more back in line while also technically not directly nerfing it, and so circumventing WGs policy on not nerfing premiums

• Cool 1

[DIKI]
Players
1,228 posts
299 battles

Wow This is 1000049490e9e9 post with same theme. 

Yes saipan is op. It is in same bucket with other op ships like belfast, black, flint.....

No wg will not nerf it. 

Still skill wins over opnes of ship. 

[GKXS]
Beta Tester
160 posts
1,479 battles

- Yes Saipan is OP. But its Premium, They will NEVER nerf a premium (It means giving refunds and decreasing player confidence, Bad business all round). The only time i can ever recall Wargaming nerfing a premium was in World of Tanks when they nerfed the Armour on the Super Pershing, and they were forced to give everyone the option of refunding it for ingame gold if they werent happy with the changes.

-  Yes Saipan has 3-0-1, But on the basis it struggles SO incredibly hard to do any form of meaningful damage, most players take the 2-2-0. Which, Is alot more manageable for 3-1-2 Hiryu.

- You just have to make Saipan slip, Usually, The time to engage an Enemy CV's fighters is when he is currently doing a drop, You just need to keep your eye on the minimap, See when hes focus'ing on his manual strike drops, And cease those oppurtunites to strafe his fighters. And, If he goes back to his fighters to manage them, Well, hes just messed up his drop and wasted his strike aircraft for another 2 minutes.

- Never commit your planes to his, If they are outnumbered in a click fight.

-Send in a single plane squad in the hope he is lazy and just pressed click fight, And puts all his squads on 1 of yours, And if he does, Send in a strafe and decimate him, (Your squad in the click fight, be sure to strafe out first).

Essentially, The Balancing factor that justifies just how OP 3-0-1 Saipan is in regards to fighters, Is the fact it can barely do any damage, And if Saipan is sacrficing all his strike damage, It gives him the potential to force you to sacrifice yours too, Its sort of an equal trade of both players loosing their attack ability.

Failing all that, If you cant beat them, Join them, and buy a Saipan yourself. 

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,351 posts
11,263 battles

Saipan's perk should just be changed into a global rule: if your squadron has currently 3 planes or less, you can strafe out without losses.

This way Saipan would still be protected from losing 1/4 (or even 1/3) of a squadron while strafing out - while not having such a ridiculous unfair advantage over opponents whose planes are already slower and squishier. If 4 Saipan fighters are mismanaged to the point where they get dogfight-locked by 4 IJN fighters (non-AS fighter squadron for IJN), the Saipan's player shouldn't have the get-away-free option. His planes are already faster (to avoid being intercepted) and more powerful (to almost certainly win the dogfight unless there's some external factor like AA or another fighter squadron).

I believe just this one change would make Saipan balanced enough - but, more importantly, she would no longer have the kind of advantages that make her outright immune to an important part of CV vs CV play: tactically locking enemy planes in desired location, forcing dogfight or straight-up plane-losing on exit.

Alpha Tester, Players
5,286 posts

Wait wtf u talking? looking at your potato stats, you dont even have t7 cv to whine about saipan , so this post more ussless

• Funny 2

1,471 posts
10,086 battles

Today me and Corvi in saipans... managed to be on same side vs Ranger and Hiryu.
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

• Cool 1

[CLADS]
Players
151 posts
9,998 battles

Sure saipans fighters are superior. But thats to compensate for the limited striking power. 

Lowest average damage of all tier7 carriers if you go looking at a statistics site 

So annoying? Yes 

OP? No

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,282 posts
10,715 battles
2 hours ago, xXx_Blogis_xXx said:

Wait wtf u talking? looking at your potato stats, you dont even have t7 cv to whine about saipan , so this post more ussless

Blogis defending his waifu :cap_like: so cute :fish_cute_2:

• Funny 1

[-TB-]
Players
13 posts
1,908 battles

People seem to be surprisingly upset with my -> Suggestion <-

I am not complaining but I was just pointing out what people say and what my opinion on it was.

Yes, I dont have thousands of games played because I also have a life thank you very much. I do know my way around the game though so get your things together and dont bother.

My intention was to post this in the suggestions thread but as it seems I have failed to do so, there it isnt allowed to comment on a SUGGESTION.

Closing this topic now and hoping to open it in the right thread now.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,191 posts
14,440 battles
4 hours ago, lycea said:

But thats to compensate for the limited striking power

Dude, what limited striking power?

Yeah, 2x3 TBs may seem lacking at first, but then you have to consider that

A. they are a lot faster

B. they service super fast and

C. you're unlikely to lose one during an attack run.

Sure, Saipan may not be able to stack DoT, but she really doesn't need to as she can just fly a second strike instead. That there are fewer squads is compensated for by being able to fly a lot more strikes per game, not by fighter power.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,008 posts
7 hours ago, K4dy said:

Dear World of Warships team

(...)

It would be enough if it was losing plane when strafing out of combat, as every other CV.

[WONLY]
Players
204 posts
10,453 battles
6 hours ago, lycea said:

Sure saipans fighters are superior. But thats to compensate for the limited striking power. 

Lowest average damage of all tier7 carriers if you go looking at a statistics site 

So annoying? Yes 

OP? No

Well, all the noobs in 3/0/1 setup ruined the average dmg of Saipan. 2/0/2 can do pretty good damage due to fast servicing times and fast planes. Second half of the game you don't even have to care about enemy fighters anymore because you strafed them into oblivion.

It is the most OP ship in the game right now. 

[RAIN]
[RAIN]
Community Contributor
916 posts
11,470 battles
11 hours ago, xXx_Blogis_xXx said:

Ho , smart answer ...

And yes in the right hands saipan is just OP

1,471 posts
10,086 battles
12 minutes ago, malimoo said:

Ho , smart answer ...

And yes in the right hands saipan is just OP

in right hands, ranger is equally op.

[RAIN]
[RAIN]
Community Contributor
916 posts
11,470 battles
1 minute ago, Boris_MNE said:

in right hands, ranger is equally op.

Against a good saipan player ?

Hum not rly ^^

[-TFD-]
Players
17 posts
10,154 battles

In the right hands every ship is OP.... Its the player that makes the difference imo, not the ship.

[THROW]
Players
573 posts
21,146 battles
3 minutes ago, Infernoken said:

In the right hands every ship is OP.... Its the player that makes the difference imo, not the ship.

Whilst that is true the Saipan just straight up can do something that the other cvs can't do in fighter duels. The restore making it difinitevly OP and the cv of choice for people who arnt that good at fighter duels.

[RAIN]
[RAIN]
Community Contributor
916 posts
11,470 battles
6 minutes ago, Infernoken said:

Yep but with some ships you can have some hudge/insame advantage like the saipan.

At the same skill a saipan player  take easily the AS and he have a good strike power with this 2 TIX TB.