Sign in to follow this  
Procrastes

The Duca D'Aosta Shines in Operations!

6 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,132 posts
2,329 battles

I am one of those captains who really looked forward to the arrival of the first Italian cruiser, and who was commensurately frustrated by the gameplay experience when she finally arrived. Because, let's face it: The guns on the Duca D'Aosta are weak.

The Duca has quite a lot going for her.

• She's fast and manoeuvrable.
  • Her guns fire rapidly and they have a great shell speed.
  • She has an unusual combination of hydro and defensive AA consumables.
  • Her long range torpedoes make for surprisingly sneaky area denial weapons.

Unfortunately, when she's up against ships of higher tiers, none of the abovesaid strengths really make up for her weak artillery.

• Her main guns do anemic damage and have a comparatively low fire chance.
  • She has a main armament setup of 4x2 turrets, which is generally weaker than a 3x3 setup (such as on the De Grasse) and markedly weaker than a 4x3 setup (such as on the Cleveland).
  • Her base range of 14 km is a bit on the low side for a ship that relies on accuracy and rate of fire rather than high alpha strike potential. Fortunately, this can be augmented with judicious use of the spotter plane - but another thousand metres or so of base range would have been most welcome.

Although I do believe that the abovementioned drawbacks can be mitigated with a captain that has both the IFHE and the Concealment Expert skill, my experience is that the Duca D'Aosta really struggles in random battles.

In the 'Defense of Newport Operation', however, she absolutely shines.

Her guns, while weak against higher tier cruisers, make mincemeat of any destroyer that happens to stray within medium or close range. They will also tear apart any cruiser that gives her a broadside target for more than fifteen seconds at a range of 10 kilometres or less, which AI cruiser captains in operations are more than happy to do on a regular basis. Her fire chance, while low, is perfectly adequate for setting fires on tier IV-V battleships such as the Myogis, New Yorks and Königs she will face in defense of Newport. And her hydro and defensive AA consumables provide good (or at least adequate) self-defense capabilities when she has to handle herself on her own from time to time.

Captain Mario, on the bridge of my Duca D'Aosta, is currently quite a happy camper on the Newport harbour station. I am looking forward to unleashing him in future operations as well! :cap_cool:

• Cool 5

Players
1,497 posts
3,883 battles

My first 5-star win at Newport was in the Duca D'Aosta, so I can attest to her strength.

Also, I am so glad I never have to play newport again. That op is a pain in the boatside.

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

I will keep this in mind OP... Duca and Giullio were my 2 mis buys ever. Yes it's me, not the ship. But both I can't make to function even if my life would depend on it. But this I didn't think about...

Beta Tester
2,132 posts
2,329 battles
11 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

I will keep this in mind OP... Duca and Giullio were my 2 mis buys ever. Yes it's me, not the ship. But both I can't make to function even if my life would depend on it. But this I didn't think about...

The Duca D'Aosta will remain one of the weaker ships in randoms, I think. She's not so blatantly underpowered that she is in actual need of a "fix", as such - she's just not as strong as most of her peers.

The Giulio Cesare, however, is one of the best-performing battleships in my harbour.* She has a nice combination of stealth, manoeuvrability, toughness and firepower that makes her a very comfortable ship to play - at least for me. And, boy, is she a looker! :Smile_Default:

* Don't look at my stats for confirmation of this. I have lost the majority of my battles in the Giulio Cesare, so the winrate is bad in itself - but I have performed consistently better in her than I've done in any other battleship apart from the German ones.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles
34 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

The Giulio Cesare, however, is one of the best-performing battleships in my harbour.* She has a nice combination of stealth, manoeuvrability, toughness and firepower that makes her a very comfortable ship to play - at least for me. And, boy, is she a looker!

I can only agree with the good looks! I've written it elsewhere: it's me, not the ship. But I can't make it to function. I'm very good in missing shots (even for T5 dispersion standards), I know the ship is supposed to be fast and agile. Somehow for me it's feeling as fast and agile as Yamato does. And nearly every single punch I take is a citadel (in the best cases)...

Players
78 posts
5,356 battles
17 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Not your playstyle,

Sign in to follow this