You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Brandometer

The Psychological Game (with myself...)

27 comments in this topic

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,656 battles

Hello. I just played Conqueror and scored 40k damage before being torpedoed to death, Montana scoring 60k damage before being destroyer burned to death, and a Hindy game which was average at best, but ended in a double citadel (whilst angled) and instant death from half hp. Believe it or not this is not a regular occurrence and so I got pissed off (stroppy teenager alert!).

I found myself ready to rage type at my team for sailing straight for the bloody islands - en masse! - leaving me at the tail end of the train to get harassed by 2 Russian dds for half the game. Then I thought, 'Hey Brando, why not type this on the forums so that people can read and either agree or, more likely, slate me for being crap!'.

But my new years resolution is to be awesome and positive and constructive... and stuff. So I would like to put a request to the community, asking you to discuss your experiences in dealing with sustained periods of bad play, and more importantly how to prepare yourself, mentally, for the games ahead. 

I rarely get a chance to binge-play WOWs, and when I go to play and the first few matches are absolute crap it can be quite demoralising. So I would be grateful and interested to see your experiences with this and perhaps your methods for evading the ever approaching landslide of crap that seems to wash my way! 

p.s. this isn't aimed at the 'odd bad game', more a sustained period of bad play! Also, I'm certainly not aiming for a [edited]-fest. Looking forward to the replies! 

• Cool 1

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,656 battles
Just now, Commander_Cornflakes said:

What are those periods of bad play you are talking about? :cap_hmm:

haha, you're a better cap'n than I!!

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,742 battles

And that's the solution you are looking for ^^

Become better so you won't have so many bad games.

Watch Youtube Tutorials or Streams of experienced players, join a clan and learn from them, play division with other players, read about game mechanics in the Wiki.

And if you really get a series of bad games again, just shut down the game and play something else. The next day will be better :cap_like:

• Funny 1

[WGB]
Players
2,083 posts
26,342 battles
15 minutes ago, Brandometer said:

But my new years resolution is to be awesome and positive and constructive... and stuff. So I would like to put a request to the community, asking you to discuss your experiences in dealing with sustained periods of bad play

My NYR is to make 2018 a play free year, spent way too much in 2017.

I am still as salty as ever, I try not to be, I have the devil on one shoulder saying "What a *anker that player is, type in chat and tell him" and some little angel on the other saying "awe, bless that player, type in chat and say "unlucky ole chap""

The devil always get the better of me. angry.png

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

Besides getting better you could look for some friends to play with which on one hand is more fun to begin with and on the other hand increases your chances to win (if they are of an adequate skill level of cause).

If WoWS isn't doing it for at the moment try taking a break either completely for some time or reduce your WoWS activity to the most necessary things, like a few games to get daily missions done and to get one or two containers. Until you feel like it becomes better.

Depending on how stubborn you are you can still try to just push through one game after another in the hope it will get better but it rarely does.

Players
98 posts
3,475 battles

The RNG is too much it rewards bad play and punishes any strategy

Angle, get pen for 10k damage

Remotely show a hint of your broadside get hit for 20k damage

While the full broadside potato ship getting these lucky RNG rolls will happily let you overpen for 1k damage, bounce your shots and watch the majority of your shells miss

Really sucks the fun out of the game and makes you just want to yolo and not care like the broadside potatos who survive purely on being blessed by RNG

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,656 battles

Hehe good point about improving gameplay, although I'm quite active in improving and generally have more good spells than bad! 

One thing I don't do really is play with anyone, so good call on that one  I'll have a look for a clan with similar skill level and see if they'll have me. 

I'm not too stubborn, so usually get stroppy, quit and put a crap movie on. King Kong is tonights' choice! 

Cheers for the feedback

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,656 battles
1 minute ago, Orangeminus said:

The RNG is too much it rewards bad play and punishes any strategy

Angle, get pen for 10k damage

Remotely show a hint of your broadside get hit for 20k damage

While the full broadside potato ship getting these lucky RNG rolls will happily let you overpen for 1k damage, bounce your shots and watch the majority of your shells miss

Really sucks the fun out of the game and makes you just want to yolo and not care like the broadside potatos who survive purely on being blessed by RNG

hah yeah, had an amagi game similar. Angled NC 16k, broadside Alabama, 7k. I'll blame my aim, it's more... constructive :D 

[NWP]
Players
4,355 posts
6,233 battles

Not sure about those bad game streaks but i think the best way to get better is:

Know what u can do with your ship. Dont be too afraid of the enemy, it could be a potato :cap_haloween:Being scared and run and hide might get u killed, while a torp run might get u the kill and u survive.

Making a play at the right moment might get u the upper hand in the match, while doing a move too early might just get u killed and put your team at a disadvantage.

Also the best way to win games  is: Focus the enemy DDs and help your own. When your team has no DDs and the enemy has one/some left, it tends to get very hard unless the DD misplays.

Players
4,085 posts
6,241 battles
37 minutes ago, Brandometer said:

So I would like to put a request to the community, asking you to discuss your experiences in dealing with sustained periods of bad play, and more importantly how to prepare yourself, mentally, for the games ahead. 

When you run into a serious of bad games - close down the game. Also, after taking a breath, ask yourself seriously: Was it maybe me? Could I have done something different? Watching your own replays then will help. Looking at the round without having to concentrate on shooting etc. will give you more opportunities to question your own decisions. You could watch yourself and think: What would be a good decision now? And what did I do? How did it work out? and so on. You can often learn the most from your own mistakes. Watching youtube etc., as mentioned, is also a good way. But improving your own gamestyle will ultimatly only work, once you notice your own mistakes. And those cant be found on youtube.

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,656 battles
17 minutes ago, clocky said:

3 defeats and you are complaining? Weakling.

shot-17_12.18_20_41.37-0479.jpg.ce0eb1537823ead0371c90106bb76fba.jpg

lol! It would appear I need to grow a pair! 

[G-S-W]
Beta Tester
141 posts
7,314 battles

I normally stop playing after 3 bad games in a row (can also be wins but with frustrating teams)

Just better for my nerves.

No need to grind through those defeats. No fun and you wont play any better if you know you lost your last five games.

[HOO]
Players
1,218 posts
2,535 battles
15 hours ago, Brandometer said:

Hello. I just played Conqueror and scored 40k damage before being torpedoed to death, Montana scoring 60k damage before being destroyer burned to death, and a Hindy game which was average at best, but ended in a double citadel (whilst angled) and instant death from half hp. Believe it or not this is not a regular occurrence and so I got pissed off (stroppy teenager alert!).

I found myself ready to rage type at my team for sailing straight for the bloody islands - en masse! - leaving me at the tail end of the train to get harassed by 2 Russian dds for half the game. Then I thought, 'Hey Brando, why not type this on the forums so that people can read and either agree or, more likely, slate me for being crap!'.

But my new years resolution is to be awesome and positive and constructive... and stuff. So I would like to put a request to the community, asking you to discuss your experiences in dealing with sustained periods of bad play, and more importantly how to prepare yourself, mentally, for the games ahead. 

I rarely get a chance to binge-play WOWs, and when I go to play and the first few matches are absolute crap it can be quite demoralising. So I would be grateful and interested to see your experiences with this and perhaps your methods for evading the ever approaching landslide of crap that seems to wash my way! 

p.s. this isn't aimed at the 'odd bad game', more a sustained period of bad play! Also, I'm certainly not aiming for a [edited]-fest. Looking forward to the replies! 

I know how you feel.

So when I have a bad spell, I drop down the tiers and play some low tier stuff to get my confidence back, for a bit, or if I've been grinding a ship, and hit a rough patch, I put her down for a while and go and play with other ships.

But in the end if I'm really frustrated, I just put the game down for a few days and go play something else, come back refreshed, and start again.

Players
568 posts
6,689 battles
18 hours ago, Brandometer said:

1. Find your best ships and only play them

2. You're doing ok in a whole bunch of ships so just pick your favourite one and only play that for the next 100 games, see how you do, what you learn. I'm currently pretty much only playing Yuey and enjoying it.

3. I play 3 to 5 games for my evening session and try and win all of them. If I lose all of them I quit. If I win all of them I keep going until I lose one and then I quit. I have found that this satisfy's me and gives me maximum enjoyment without my gaming becoming a job and or stressing me out. I try very hard to hit over 60% for each session.

4. Playing game after game and losing them does not make jack a happy sailor

5. Winning games does

6. Performing well in the games you win makes you (me) even happier than winning does

And most importantly STOP blaming your TEAM. Yes sometimes your team just sucks, for me that is around 2 to 3 out of every ten games with 1 or 2 games where they actually do play well but you still lose.

BUT no matter what you can still play well in all your games and perform well and enjoy your performance. 

[TU]
Players
171 posts
5,052 battles
20 hours ago, clocky said:

I think you should not switch ships between battles like that unless you are some kind of unicum, or you don’t care about winning :)

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,656 battles

I have sold all my low level ships to pay for high level, and in hindsight (and agreement with fat_maniac) I should have kept a couple. Odd thing is, I recognise the value of playing at lower tiers, and still decided to sell the ships! 

Also, I've never tried consistently playing a ship. I'll always bounce around my favorite 4-6 ships and do at most 3 games in any one at a time, so good call on that one. Just unlocked the Amagi, so I'll give her a good riding and see how that fares :P

Finally, regarding blaming the team, I'm 100% in agreement. The main reason I came here (which I failed to mention in my OP) was to avoid venting my anger/stroppy moment towards the team - which helps nobody - and try to make a conversation out of it. I'm well aware of the positives and negatives of playing random, so completely with you there. 

As always, cheers for the replies :)

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,656 battles
20 hours ago, clocky said:

2 minutes ago, urr027 said:

I think you should not switch ships between battles like that unless you are some kind of unicum, or you don’t care about winning :)

Dragnorak gave some nice advice on this point in his post re. selecting the ship you like most and giving it a good blast. I personally have never tried it (and this, on from your comment, is probably contributing to my rough patches... god I sound like an addict lol) so will be giving it a try with my Amagi! 

• Cool 2

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
329 posts
20,063 battles

Stop playing for a bit. Sometimes you're just in the wrong mind-set to play. Do something else and come back to WoWs later.

Players
568 posts
6,689 battles
2 hours ago, Brandometer said:

Dragnorak gave some nice advice on this point in his post re. selecting the ship you like most and giving it a good blast. I personally have never tried it (and this, on from your comment, is probably contributing to my rough patches... god I sound like an addict lol) so will be giving it a try with my Amagi! 

I would add to set yourself some personal goals. So one of mine which is still current was to turn every tier purple as in over 60% if I could manage it only playing solo all the time. 

So i literally went back to lower tiers to achieve this in each one and am working through this now. The first few tiers I wanted to do this in just DDs. My reasons for this is that when I started I so rushed to T10 by paying money and I missed out all the lower tiers and that learning and of course I was so rubbish at this game as a consequence. Going back was both good fun, taught me a lot and also I am achieving my mission of making them purple too.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,008 posts
16 hours ago, urr027 said:

Switching ships in between helps to not overplay it, as well as to not develop hatred for it due to constant loses (or some weird tin hat hypothesis, ex. I know for sure I have worse MM when I play good for too long and also I get horrible SC drops after I get reported :Smile_trollface:)

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,229 posts
6,768 battles

Stop playing high-tier BB for a while, get a Kongo, and have fun with this fantastic ship. If you do good with her, play Montana the same. It's essentially the same playstyle.

You skipped way too much mid-tier. Stop freepexing ships if you're not confident you can play high-tier properly. 3 battles with Kongo, 4 with Fuso, 6 with Nagato. Seriously man, they are among the best ships of their tier... 

You're doing OK overall, but you could be much, much better if you takes the time to get more experience in tier 5-7.

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

Here you go, made this thread just for you.

It's not really a serious guide or whatever, but it's as much as I'll ever bother to make one so I dumped it in the guides section anyways.

[TAW]
Players
21 posts
2,656 battles
12 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

Stop playing high-tier BB for a while, get a Kongo, and have fun with this fantastic ship. If you do good with her, play Montana the same. It's essentially the same playstyle.

You skipped way too much mid-tier. Stop freepexing ships if you're not confident you can play high-tier properly. 3 battles with Kongo, 4 with Fuso, 6 with Nagato. Seriously man, they are among the best ships of their tier... 

You're doing OK overall, but you could be much, much better if you takes the time to get more experience in tier 5-7.

I do take your point here. I learned my 'trade' in us BBS, so you can see I played a fair few in New Mexico and Colorado. I didn't play much Japanese because at this point i had my tier 10s, ergo free exp! 

However, point taken! I'm aiming at tier 5 for now so just unlocked Emile Bertin, which I'm hoping to play a fair bit.