DeadRabit

Can't manual attack

14 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
270 battles

Proud Zuiho owner here.

Youtube tells me to press alt to manually aim torpedoes and to gain the upper hand with IJN fighters against US ones by outflanking them with superior speed. Doesn't work, Is it a bug because I've got the "alt" view enabled? As it is, I can't hit anything in smoke, my bombers just sit there like twerps and I loose all my aircraft well in advance of the end of the fight because I have no counter to US fighters. Equipping both Airgroup mods and dogfighting expert doesn't seem to help, I even loose against lower tier aircraft!

Also, I'm not familiar enough with the game yet to know which ships have strong AA or carry fighters.. Learnt the hard way to avoid British cruisers, is there any way to identify the AA capabilities of a ship once in-game? Or any rules of thumb?

[FAD]
Players
86 posts

Manual attacks are available after Tier VI that is the reason that the game dont let you use manual attacks the buttons

[FAD]
Players
86 posts

tier vi ships have high AA defense but better do not attack when there are many ships together bacause they all together have high AA defense

also USN cv have more powerfull fighers and bombers but they have only 1 than IJN cv that they have 2 squadrons try to treat other USN players with your fighers and bombers ( try only attack to other fighers when you are near in friendly ships all together have strong AA defense )

Players
3 posts
270 battles

It's by design? wow... So there is no counter to US carrier fighters for me then except to run away? Shame their fighters outrun my bombers.

FYI both Hosho (T4) and Zuiho (T5) have a maximum of 1 fighter squad.

[FAD]
Players
86 posts
28 minutes ago, DeadRabit said:

It's by design? wow... So there is no counter to US carrier fighters for me then except to run away? Shame their fighters outrun my bombers.

yes they have 1 squad 4 +4 fighers i think not sure now USN is better than the old cv because the old cv Bogue has 2 types the 1 type had 2 squads of fighers

you can treat them by taking their figher near to allied ships or whwn you are with the other cv help each other with fighers

• Cool 1

Players
3 posts
270 battles

Thanks for the advice! :Smile_honoring:

Can't help but feel I chose the wrong faction for CV play, which is quite disappointing because all the hours I've sunk into this game were to get my hands on a CV. Hopefully I'll get the +1 plane perk soon and manual fighters to level the playing field.

• Cool 1

[FAD]
Players
86 posts
1 minute ago, DeadRabit said:

Thanks for the advice! :Smile_honoring:

Can't help but feel I chose the wrong faction for CV play, which is quite disappointing because all the hours I've sunk into this game were to get my hands on a CV. Hopefully I'll get the +1 plane perk soon and manual fighters to level the playing field.

try to play both tier cv ships you will see and understand what i say and you will gain experience with both cv lines 

also you will find which CV LINE is best to you i think IJN are weaker until tier vi from tier vii are stronger thn USN

I tried the same i had both cv lines but at the end i liked more the USN line 

Make a try :Smile_coin: and see in which tier line you are best you will undreastand what i say :cap_yes:

Maybe some youtube videos about cv tips will help you further :cap_like:

you made the best choice that you take the +1 plane perk it helps a little

[U-W]
Players
82 posts
5,462 battles

yes the USN CV fighters are better than the IJN, but the "balance" is the better anti ship capability that the iJN have. If you are new to CV play and are clearly starting out on the IJN line, try & pick up and play the USN T Langley - try it in a couple of CO OP games and get a feel for how the USN play style is different (also make you a better IJN CV player in the longer run). 

I much prefer the IJN CV line - but the answer (as suggested above) is the "teamwork" really works! rather than rush in to attempting to strike at game start, if you come up against USN fighter opposition, then "draw" them back over friendly Cruisers and use their AAA to even out the odds.

Ultimately it is about "having fun" - but I know what you mean about the long road of frustration getting there!!!

[MIRAI]
Players
161 posts
8,047 battles
10 hours ago, DeadRabit said:

You can already counter them. Not by fighting, but baiting, or by overwhelming him with numbers.

[FDUSH]
Players
1,194 posts
6,749 battles

I really miss shooting down 2-0-1 Bogue´s planes with my Zuiho (even after the removal of manual attacks for tier 5). Now it's pretty easy to defeat Bogue´s planes as long as I have a little of RNG luck. I think nowadays Bogue has only 6 fighter planes + 3 in reserve or so.

Players
1,392 posts
10,416 battles
Am 2.1.2018 um 21:24, DeadRabit sagte:

So there is no counter to US carrier fighters for me then except to run away?

You can also try to out-psych the other guy with feints. Maybe try to lure him into air battles in traps, over friendly ships with high AA ratings to augment your fighters. Be creative. Use the team. You're not on your own.

[PK11]
Beta Tester
678 posts
10,608 battles
On 1/2/2018 at 8:48 PM, DeadRabit said:

Also, I'm not familiar enough with the game yet to know which ships have strong AA or carry fighters.. Learnt the hard way to avoid British cruisers, is there any way to identify the AA capabilities of a ship once in-game? Or any rules of thumb?

As this question has not been answered yet:

There are mods available that change the appearance of the side panels (while in the battle, the line-ups of your team (upper left) and enemy team (upper right)). Some of these mods present you with some values including AA values of the ships. Have a look in the forum's mod section.