Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Riggerby

Are the strafing mechanics, Entirely RNG Based or ?

3 comments in this topic

[GKXS]
Beta Tester
160 posts
1,479 battles

I recently started playing the midway, And im starting to come across, little quirks that i never noticed on other CV's, These will be hard to word so bear with me but

1) When you have 2 planes in a locked on duel, And say, Your enemy strafes out of the duel, I have noticed sometimes my squad is basically.. frozen?. Its weird, It dosent always happen, Maybe like 25-50% of the time, But the squad, Literally just freezes mid air and just waits to die by a strafe, And no commands work on it despite it not being engaged in a fight anymore as its opponent has strafed out. As i said, It dosent always happen, But when it does its very infuriating.

2) Sometimes i will strafe with my squad, And it will perfectly cross with an enemy squad, With them located right in the centre of the 'strafe zone' if you will, And it will kill 1 or 2 planes. yet, sometimes, ive done it to others and had it happen to me, Like.. Theyre literally on the very very very edge of the zone, Sometimes even outside of it, And the entire squad gets insta wiped?, Surely there is no logic in this?

3) It feels like, Squads arent actually... 'where they are'... it feels like there is a random sweet spot some way away from where the actual image of the planes is where the game actually registers the planes hitbox? Am i just imagining this ? i have had other CV players tell me too in battle, Things like ''How did you just kill my hole squad they werent even in your strafe path'' and honestly i have no good answer.. simply 'im not sure it seemed pretty unfair..'. 

Are these bugs? or RNG ? or am i just missing a very easy obvious way to wipe squads by aiming for where the actual plane sprites are?

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,191 posts
14,440 battles
1 hour ago, Riggerby said:

1)

That seems to be working as intended actually. When your enemy is strafing out attack commands do not work. Move commands however do, but several move commands will slow down your fighters. Just give a single move command in the direction you desire to get out of the "stun".

However enemies can time the strafing out so you'll have no chance to dodge.

1 hour ago, Riggerby said:

2) & 3)

The icon doesn't necessarily show you the actual position of the fighters as it is (afaik) averaged from the models while the fighters themselves are just a "dot" on the map. It's entirely possible that they've managed to dodge most of your strafe despite the icon saying that they're still in it. Or alternatively fighters strafing one way but the icon going in a different direction entirely, only "resetting" halfway through the strafe. Well, or it could just be buggy as all out as a lot of things about the CV UI are.

That said, strafing is kinda RNG as all interaction with AA/fighter combat is.

How AA/fighter combat works can be found here (third section):

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/96327-dev-qa-about-the-game/?tab=comments#comment-2368029

Basically AA/plane dps is calculated against plane health in some way to determine how many ticks (one tick = 140ms) a plane on average should survive in an AA bubble or in fighter combat. Using that the chance of shooting down a plane will then start off low and rise higher over time until it caps out at 90% per tick. Once a plane was destroyed a survivability buff or debuff gets applied to the squad depending on whether a plane was lost early or late respectively. The earlier the loss, the higher the buff; the later the loss, the bigger the debuff.

Strafing boosts your DPS by a huge amount so you'll probably hit the cap instantly, but a 90% probability is still "only" 90%. It's no guarantee. It's technically speaking possible to survive a strafe with no plane losses, but the chances are miniscule at best.

• Cool 2

[GKXS]
Beta Tester
160 posts
1,479 battles
19 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

That seems to be working as intended actually. When your enemy is strafing out attack commands do not work. Move commands however do, but several move commands will slow down your fighters. Just give a single move command in the direction you desire to get out of the "stun".

However enemies can time the strafing out so you'll have no chance to dodge.

The icon doesn't necessarily show you the actual position of the fighters as it is (afaik) averaged from the models while the fighters themselves are just a "dot" on the map. It's entirely possible that they've managed to dodge most of your strafe despite the icon saying that they're still in it. Or alternatively fighters strafing one way but the icon going in a different direction entirely, only "resetting" halfway through the strafe. Well, or it could just be buggy as all out as a lot of things about the CV UI are.

That said, strafing is kinda RNG as all interaction with AA/fighter combat is.

How AA/fighter combat works can be found here (third section):

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/96327-dev-qa-about-the-game/?tab=comments#comment-2368029

Basically AA/plane dps is calculated against plane health in some way to determine how many ticks (one tick = 140ms) a plane on average should survive in an AA bubble or in fighter combat. Using that the chance of shooting down a plane will then start off low and rise higher over time until it caps out at 90% per tick. Once a plane was destroyed a survivability buff or debuff gets applied to the squad depending on whether a plane was lost early or late respectively. The earlier the loss, the higher the buff; the later the loss, the bigger the debuff.

Strafing boosts your DPS by a huge amount so you'll probably hit the cap instantly, but a 90% probability is still "only" 90%. It's no guarantee. It's technically speaking possible to survive a strafe with no plane losses, but the chances are miniscule at best.

Treasure trove of info, Cheers buddy

Sign in to follow this