You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Okitank

IJN standard grey camouflage

15 comments in this topic

Question

[UTW]
Alpha Tester
1,990 posts
7,274 battles

Hey! There is something I wanted a lot on my japanese ships: A grey, neutral paint counting as a camouflage, as IJN almost never painted its warships.
So my question is: why wouldn't you add a standard grey camouflage as an IJN premium camo? Being able to sortie your ship IJN grey, and still have the bonus of a camo? I hate to have to disable all camouflages by mods to enjoy my IJN ships, most of your job on the other navies paintings is awesome. 

Examples would be; - Yamato in Kure grey.
- Hiryuu grey with hinomaru as a camo.
-Cruisers and destroyers grey with a certain number of white stripes on the funnel, as the IRL distinction.

Why? Because most of the IJN warship have never been painted, and especially not in the fantasy green you put on them. (Exceptions being the Nagato when she was disarmed, the Zuikaku whose camo is wrong in game and inverted with Hiryuu that never had a camouflage, the Myoko, and Taiho.). When IJN started painting its ships green, it was because of the ineluctable loss in fall 1944, so they were camouflaged at anchor, painted green to confuse US bombers that were now on range. Is it really good as a symbol to sail a ship that carries no hopes anymore?

Well then, that's all for me. Happy new year, tho! 

• Cool 1

14 answers to this question

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,426 posts
6,333 battles

We tried to have a permacamo like that - for the Tashkent. Beautiful historical light blue camo...

Kept being reported as a bug and getting negative feedback as "lazy camo" :fish_boom:

(same with the Tirpitz fjord one-sided camo).

Like it or not, when most players have to choose between a plain looking camo and ahistorical, but more flashy camo, the choice is usally clear. 

[PRAVD]
Players
1,118 posts
5,616 battles

Can't that become a possibility for the customizable camo patterns after finishing the Yamamoto collections though? Like a third option, maybe with a disclaimer? I kinda expected to have more customization options, to be able to make the camo's grey at least.

• Cool 2

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,239 posts
7,176 battles
20 minutes ago, Tuccy said:

Like it or not, when most players have to choose between a plain looking camo and ahistorical, but more flashy camo, the choice is usally clear. 

plain camo seems like much easier to be made, so can it be introduced as an another perma camo option ?

for free or for some missions , it could spark interest in few people out there for small amount of work, right ?

thx for considering 

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,239 posts
7,176 battles

i can see some kind of visual setting which will set the whole game visual (camo)  into strictly ww2-1955 era real camos :Smile_child:

Beta Tester
266 posts
8,715 battles
52 minutes ago, Tuccy said:

We tried to have a permacamo like that - for the Tashkent. Beautiful historical light blue camo...

Kept being reported as a bug and getting negative feedback as "lazy camo" :fish_boom:

I would've liked the one sided fjord camouflage for tirpitz as it was a very nice camouflage, wish you's would release it as it is done already 

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,426 posts
6,333 battles

Monochrome camo does not really take that less time to design (so that it is displayed correctly) or significantly smaller size in the client - so we'd rather use the resources at least for now for camos for new ships and new special camos. It is kinda the same dilemma like with "true pre-WWI looks" for classic dreadnoughts - in the end most people skipped stock hulls on all of them in the Japanese tree (thought here additional reason was also gameplay). So sadly, it is not the highest priority.

[T-N-T]
Players
884 posts
4,092 battles

Will there be any nice flashy camo for Kidd and regular Kamikaze?:)

Players
607 posts
7,330 battles
12 hours ago, Tuccy said:

I know, I had Trashie with her "Blue Cruiser" camo and all my team mates would ask what was wrong with my ship.

[UTW]
Alpha Tester
1,990 posts
7,274 battles
On 05/01/2018 at 4:48 PM, Tuccy said:

Aw damm... As I didn't have the Tash' at the time I posted, I didn't saw it was already tried. Well, it does seems like a good reason. 

Still, japanese used to identify their ships with white bands over the funnels and names written on the side of the hull... Could be something cool for IJN enthusiasts while clearly showing the camouflage is not an empty file? Just an idea. 

Anyway, thanks for your answer! :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[CR-S]
Players
370 posts
19,032 battles
On 2.1.2018 at 5:33 PM, Okitank said:

A grey, neutral paint counting as a camouflage

Yes, please

On 5.1.2018 at 4:48 PM, Tuccy said:

Tashkent. Beautiful historical light blue camo...

Exactly what i thought when i saw the camo - and bought it for 3000 dubloons. The alternative generic-swoosh-camo-for kiddies was out of question.

tash.thumb.png.462adf06c1b136b640e13160de01d9ca.png

I love the minimalistic gray camo on Graf Spee too. I hope that the ARP-, HSF- and other cartoony cra collaborations won´t take too much ressources away from creating historical stuff. At least we are able to hide many of the flashy thingies via filters.

Ehm... there is ONE historical camo i don´t like: DeGrasse (DeZebra). For this one i wish an alternative,  since the ship didnt´t even exist in this form, ha?

Modder
1,660 posts
3,542 battles

educate players, do not stand back.  i was so dissappointed that you didnt put through monochromatic prinz eugen. now i thought that musashi will have naval grey paint. sadly she wont.

make them less rusty / shiny / classy to compensate. or there was even one interesting suggestion that ships could gradually rust over certain amounts of battles and these mono paint could work as cheap fix.

anyway, ships looks so magnificent in plain monochrome

Spoiler

bismarck.jpg?w=840&key=90c154aa897a79ba6

HNWP9FZ.jpg&key=af76862daa82f25a39cad54c

file

2 hours ago, drmajga said:

I hope that the ARP-, HSF- and other cartoony cra collaborations won´t take too much ressources away from creating historical stuff. At least we are able to hide many of the flashy thingies via filters.

i wouldnt put HSF and ARP into same bag. i actually like HSF skins, they are very classy and actually historical for the most part. harekaze is pretty monochromatic (but even its second camo skin looks better than other japanese camouflage in the game imho, mostly because of the color tones)

• Cool 1

[CR-S]
Players
370 posts
19,032 battles
1 hour ago, puxflacet said:

i wouldnt put HSF and ARP into same bag

erm, i confess i have next to no knowledge about both series. So i take that back.

HSF skins, they are very classy

they look indeed authentic, but i dont want school girls in miniskirts command my ships. I love short skirts, don´t get me wrong, but this is not the place for it.

monochromatic prinz eugen

we can still hope to get the third sister in mono-gray: Blücher. The hull is there (Hipper) and since the ship was sunk early in war, it would have stock AA. And somewhat less range. So it´s weaker than Prinz E and can be obtained for free through a campaign.

Spoiler

Yes i am greedy as F and want the ship for free :Smile_trollface:

Spoiler

5a51e79d96166_Kreuzer__Blcher.jpg.590dd0d417e15ca2310aa21dd0251743.jpg

Modder
1,660 posts
3,542 battles
26 minutes ago, drmajga said:

they look indeed authentic, but i dont want school girls in miniskirts command my ships. I love short skirts, don´t get me wrong, but this is not the place for it.

dont think that im fan of anime stuff in WoWs just because i said that HSF skins are classy. im most certainly not. 

regarding blucher...i wonder what people would say about another hipper clone right now...but i think that wg could have left the mono camo for the eugen for free when apparently noone wants it. i would certainly like to put that skin on that ship because i think she looks gorgeous in it. best looking sister from the hipper triplets and one of the best looking ships in general imho. those fine lines excel in that mono paint even more. literally a tuxedo for that ship

pe-2ejly8.jpg&key=9b3db3f34ef75f7592217f

[CR-S]
Players
370 posts
19,032 battles
8 hours ago, puxflacet said:

i wonder what people would say about another hipper clone

We have four Gnevnys, three or four Bensons and the Kamikaze/R/Fujin-trio. And how many Myokos, eight? 4 ARPs, the "silver"-Myoko, Atago/Takao and the made-up Ibuki. Sure, some people may complain about Blücher, let them... This game is about an era that ended and at some point WG will run out of material.

The Blücher was ill-fated but a beauty nonetheless. And she was send to her first (and only) engagement in a plain gray camo. A chance for Wargaming to live up to their "historical accurate" claim.