Sign in to follow this  
Ferry_25

Pan Asian DD line. Your advice.

18 comments in this topic

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Grinding through the PA line now. With free captain XP I have got a 19 point commander. Right now at T5 in the ships. My DD playstyle is torpedo/ ninja/ PIA scouting. Not so much of a knife fighter. So I specced my DD's/ captain to torpedo reloads as much as possible. Also taking my top captain to the next ship tier. So my current captain will end up at the T10 ship. My current captain build is:

Prev maint (1)

Last stand (2)

Torpedo arm Ex + Superintendant (3)

RPF and Concealment ex (4)

Those skills are "mandatory" for me in a DD. I know opinions differ about that. But those are working for me the best. My question for advice is: where do I put my last 2 points... My idea is actually Smoke screen expert... AR is not a very viable option: when I get "caught" I'm heading to the next match very quickly anyway. Jack of all trades? Hmmm. The difference between 10 or 9 seconds between smoke clouds is insignificant for me. I never take priority target on DD's because that's an "inherited treat" for a DD anyway. Like it's important to know 11 or 12 ships are targeting me when I get caught. The only "rival" I see for Smoke screen expert is Expert Marksman for knife fight situations. (Took that on my Shima for those situations). But the turret traverse is either garbage of excellent to begin with in this line.

So what's your advice for me? What should I spend my last 2 points on. Again, from my POV: the others are "non debatable" for me to make my DD function optimally. Thank you for your reply of course.

[BYOB]
Players
3,391 posts
12,027 battles
3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Take the skill that lowers reload the more damage you take.

Adrenaline Rush. Yeah, that one is always good on all classes as the skill also works with torps and secondaries.

[LEWD]
Beta Tester
73 posts
8,662 battles

Why do you need Superintendent on a Pan-Asia destroyer when you play them with smoke?
You have 5 charges of smoke even without that skill. That more than enough.

Switch that to Survivability Expert and then take Adrenaline Rush as for the last 2 points and you have a very good captain for the T10.

But on a side note: imo there is no point in playing the high tier Pan-Asian destroyers with smoke to begin with.

If you want smoke just play the original and stick with USN DDs. They don't have those stupid deepwater torpedoes and can actually fight other DDs too.

What makes the Pan-Asian DDs special is the possibility of Radar.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Good point @tmGrunty

I'm not so much of a smoke pewpewer anyway. But with SI I'd have an extra charge of radar on the high tier. SE... Meh, when I'm caught I get shot to pieces in seconds anyway so that extra HP will only delay the inevetable for 2 seconds more. Oh for the record: I'm not being caught that often. :Smile_teethhappy: So I usually end up full health or as a submarine. That's also the reason I'm hesitant taking AR on a DD. Torpedo load time is already maxed down by skill/ upgrades.

I kind of had the same "problem" with Shimakaze. I took expert marksman for the last 2 points. So at least I could somehow bite back in a knife fight.

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Thanks for the advice. I decided to take smoke cloud expert... Tried it a couple of matches and I must admit I like it.. the more room to maneuver I find very nice. Of course I'll keep it on close watch.

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

I must say. i'm very positively surprised by the larger clouds it's making... More room to maneuver in so I can anticipate smoke fillers easier...

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Always take AR, as others have pointed out it reloads all your weapons faster.

That means when on low HP you can sail around torping everyone.

I'm only at 14 pts in my Lo Yang and I'll be taking AR next when I hit 16pts.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles
On 9-1-2018 at 12:28 AM, Negativvv said:

Always take AR, as others have pointed out it reloads all your weapons faster.

That means when on low HP you can sail around torping everyone.

I'm only at 14 pts in my Lo Yang and I'll be taking AR next when I hit 16pts.

I know AR is a very powerful skill. I use it on nearly every non DD I have. It's just, in my case, I'd have the theoretical reload time of 0 seconds when using AR. Very often I don't survive the encounter when I derp up and get caught. Most of my DD matches are very wet or unscratched... So AR isn't that much of a help for me. But that's all my POV. Not saying you or I are being wrong in anything.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
2 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

I know AR is a very powerful skill. I use it on nearly every non DD I have. It's just, in my case, I'd have the theoretical reload time of 0 seconds when using AR. Very often I don't survive the encounter when I derp up and get caught. Most of my DD matches are very wet or unscratched... So AR isn't that much of a help for me. But that's all my POV. Not saying you or I are being wrong in anything.

In that case you need to slow it down. Never engage unless you know 100% you can win (including calculating any possible hidden or radar ships). No reason why a DD can't live until the last few ships consistently but still be right in the action.  

Might feel passive at first but that's the way to go IMO.

• Cool 3

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles
42 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

In that case you need to slow it down. Never engage unless you know 100% you can win (including calculating any possible hidden or radar ships). No reason why a DD can't live until the last few ships consistently but still be right in the action.  

Might feel passive at first but that's the way to go IMO.

Don't get me wrong: getting caught is happening in the vast minority of my matches. Of course I anticipate all the times and I'm not blindly rushing in every circle I see on the map at first sight. Always adapting to the situation. Enough matches where I did "nothing" untill the 10th minute. Like when I'm the only scout and the "detected" sign for the reds can only be explained by me. Torping is rather pointless then and smoke pewpewing too: cause I was the spotter in the first place... But I'm by far the best player around so I'm bound to get outwitted by a better one (the best teachers ever), or when the second neuron of the red CV players has his daily pulse and realizes planes can move... And because I try to operate at the edge of the sword they usually jump massively on me in those cases. I even can't call it a fight but rather euthanasia.

Players
3,701 posts
7,341 battles

Any thoughts on captain build for a T6/7 captain assuming that I'm not interested in going any higher in the line?

• Level 1 + 2 are pretty obvious IMO (PT, LS, EM (for T6, could be dropped for T7));
  • Level 3?  Vigilance + SI are probably a waste so a choice between DE, BFT, TAE and SE but what to go for?
  • Level 4.  CE obviously,  IFHE crosses the 25 mm threshold so is that worth it?

Players
4,349 posts
7,746 battles
5 hours ago, Capra76 said:

Any thoughts on captain build for a T6/7 captain assuming that I'm not interested in going any higher in the line?

• Level 1 + 2 are pretty obvious IMO (PT, LS, EM (for T6, could be dropped for T7));
  • Level 3?  Vigilance + SI are probably a waste so a choice between DE, BFT, TAE and SE but what to go for?
  • Level 4.  CE obviously,  IFHE crosses the 25 mm threshold so is that worth it?

So far my Fushun captain have PT, LS, EM, BFT, CE. Next picks will be SE, AR and finally JoaT. on Gandja I'll go with PT, LS, BFT, CE, then SE, TAE and AR with last point stuffed god knows where.

IFHE if anything I'd pick on Fushun, but even then its kinda mixed blessing. You can bother hightier cruisers including Hipper and non german midtier BBs, but all the Derpitzes, Carolinas and T8 whatnot will be out of reach anyway. T5 battleboats and up to T7 cruisers are within reach of base HE pen.

Players
3,701 posts
7,341 battles
2 hours ago, Panocek said:

So far my Fushun captain have PT, LS, EM, BFT, CE

Thanks, I think that's where I'm going to go as well.

2 hours ago, Panocek said:

IFHE if anything I'd pick on Fushun, but even then its kinda mixed blessing. You can bother hightier cruisers including Hipper and non german midtier BBs, but all the Derpitzes, Carolinas and T8 whatnot will be out of reach anyway. T5 battleboats and up to T7 cruisers are within reach of base HE pen.

I was thinking about IFHE for the Gandja if I respec and free up the two points in EM.

My thinking is that as a T7 it's going to see a lot of T6/7 BB so the ability to directly damage them is going to be useful also the ability to hurt cruisers when uptiered is very handy.

I used IFHE on my Kiev with good results, the ability to gun down T9/10 cruisers was very handy.

Players
4,349 posts
7,746 battles
4 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Thanks, I think that's where I'm going to go as well.

I was thinking about IFHE for the Gandja if I respec and free up the two points in EM.

My thinking is that as a T7 it's going to see a lot of T6/7 BB so the ability to directly damage them is going to be useful also the ability to hurt cruisers when uptiered is very handy.

I used IFHE on my Kiev with good results, the ability to gun down T9/10 cruisers was very handy.

120mm +IFHE packs only 26mm pen, so Hipper, Roon and Baltinope are out of question. Skill certainly would work, but Fushun I see to be more suitable for it - both for smaller chances of seeing T8+ battleboats and larger caliber, which combined with IFHE enables damaging Hipper/Kutuzov deck plating.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

I've got to add, I've had a lot of fun on the PT server with the T10 PA DD and Torp Acceleration. 

As long as you've aimed well they're almost impossible for BBs to dodge as they're so fast and the detection range is so low.

Just a shame I'm still on T7 PA DDs...

Beta Tester
111 posts
13,931 battles

The T10 Yueyang is a worthy goal to grind for. Very strong DD imho. No need for TA though, with the stealth and speed of those torps you hit ships left right and centre.

I liked the Gadja Mada but I didn’t have a click with the T8 and T9 DD’s of this line. I love my Fletcher but in a DD duel the Chung Mu gets outgunned by pretty much everything on T9 and T10. An agressive playstyle (like I do with Fletcher) is not good for survivability. The Yueyang with it’s low profile however is arguably a better gunboat than the Gearing is. Makes a gunduel a much better proposition.

Current captain build:

PM (I feel no need for PT on my DD’s. When I’m spotted I presume I’m fired upon)

LS, AR

SE, DE (TAE might be good as well. No need for SI with 5 smokes. DE to light things up after your torpedos put a hole in the target)

CE, RPF (my first RPF captain. Gives that slight edge in a DD duel when your guns are already pointed where the red DD will appear. Makes capping a bit safer)

Beta Tester
111 posts
13,931 battles

I’m wondering which module people you people use on your Yueyang; torpedo tubes modification 3 for faster torp reload, or main battery modification 3 for faster gun reload?

I’m currently using the former, pretty much a torp boat build. But with my Yueyang I probably kill more DD’s than any other type of ship. The main battery mod might actually be more efficient.

Sign in to follow this