You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
john1953

Tier 10 Cruiser Choice

28 comments in this topic

Players
52 posts

As the title says. At present have enough silver to buy two out of the undernoted Tier10 cruisers before discount expires tomorrow;-

Hindenburg

Henri iv

Moskva

Average player. Any thoughts/recommendations.

Cheers.

[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,293 posts
7,659 battles

I cant say which through actually playing as I have just got the Moskva and not got the others yet but by god its the Hindenburg I fear the most when I'm in a bb or cruiser

[NWP]
Players
4,385 posts
6,242 battles

Id go for Hindenburg. Way more forgiving than Moskva and also very tanky. Also better concealment, since Moskva has the worse concealment than T10 BBs...

Cant say much about Henri, but what ive heard it has very little impact on the game. But the troll-armor can work in your favor.

Players
588 posts
4,771 battles

I don't have it yet, but the Hindenburg is the t10 cruiser that makes people sweat bullets. If I saw you playing any of these 3 ships, the Hindenburg is the one I'd worry about most.

Players
4,085 posts
6,257 battles

I can talk on behalf of Moskva and Hindenburg. Get Hindenburg. Moskva in the current Meta is at such a disadvantage and super hard to play.

Players
4,369 posts
7,762 battles

Moskva is most "random friendly" - she can work just fine in large open maps with her superb ballistics and range, her armor when angled is nothing to sneeze at either. Henri seems to be tad inferior to Moskva in gunnery department, but she can zip around with her engine booster at near Kebab speeds. Hindenburg has high potential, but as Hipper and Roon shows, German 203mm are kinda inconsistent in terms of penetration. These guns can punish broadsides HARD with their above average damage, but any sort of angling and they rapidly detoriate in effectiveness. HE is mixed blessing - 51mm penetration allows to damage most BB decks in game, but damage done is on meh side.

[10K]
[10K]
Players
27 posts
7,668 battles

Hindenburg and Moskva would be my suggestion as they can support team, Henri IV is not much of a team player.

[TTT]
Players
4,115 posts
7,848 battles

Hindenburg for sure. Moskva is just way too inflexible with its gigantic size and citadel and garbage concealment - you just cant go where you need to half the games, while a Hindenburg just goes whereever the fudge it pleases.

Henri would be my second pick of those three - essentially same guns as Moskva but can actually go where it wants to thanks to spaced armour and ridiculous speed. Worth more than Radar imho.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,100 posts
8,555 battles
1 hour ago, john1953 said:

As the title says. At present have enough silver to buy two out of the undernoted Tier10 cruisers before discount expires tomorrow;-

Hindenburg

Henri iv

Moskva

Average player. Any thoughts/recommendations.

Cheers.

No doubt Hindenburg!! equip the reload mod and spotterplane. If you are average this is the best T10 CA. It has great turtleback armour that makes it hard to citadel. Great fast loading long range guns (you can firespam BBs to death with spotterplane), german hydro, good AA, and if theres a cyclone then you become the best ship in the match, because with youre insane CQB torps you can destroy any T10 BB when spotted at 8k.

So great long range and great close range, great for killing BBs with fire (considering the reload i say as good as Zao), and great killing CAs with German AP and killing DDs with buffet HE and hydro. Allround great ship with no weaknesses. 

[SCRUB]
Players
657 posts
12,331 battles

Out of the three I have the HIV and Moskva. 

Moskva was my first T10 ship ever. It has great range and shell arcs, but personally I had troubles making it work at first. I felt obligated to push forward, which given the crappy concealment and high citadel is not exactly a good choice. It's a boat that is IMO depends heavily on positioning, i.e. making your radar count, being angled, etc.

HIV on the other hand promotes a more mobile/roaming role, i.e. making use of the speed boost and flanking. I've only played 20 or so battles in it, but I think I enjoy its playstyle a bit more. 

Also, one small bonus - 240mm guns actually overmatch 16mm bows, as the triple Minotaur division found out in one of my last games ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,101 posts
14,384 battles

The Hindenburg is probably the best out of all of them. If you just need everything dead, there's really not many better alternatives. The Moskva can be a trying ship. She's squishy, turns like a brick, and her guns feel extremely limited. Her arcs might be great, but they're not that much better than those seen on ships like the Hindenburg or Zao. Her DPM really makes her feel limited, as does her lack of wotArmor? HE that the Hindenburg has. Her AP is only really good against cruisers in most situations but it's far easier to ambush a cruiser in a Zao than a Moskva and a Zao's broadside is arguably more devastating thanks to her shell volume. At close range AP shells will cut through battleship armor, but that's only really relevant against American battleships and the Yamato what with the newer battleships all pretty much immune to citadel hits. The Moskva has radar however which means that you'll be able to support your destroyers better in the occasions that you don't get focused down and she is much faster than the Hindenburg so she can get where she needs to be faster. Between the two however the Hindenburg wins out in pure utility in most circumstances as well as a straight up brawl or a protracted snipefest.

The HIV isn't worth discussing. So many limitations and so few strengths. The Saint Louis at tier IX was arguably a better tier X than her. You're better against bow on British Cls and that's about it.

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

I'd say Hindenburg as well. Most allround ship of your pickings and I have the feeling it can at least take some sort of punch when you make a mistake. IMO Moskva is more situational.

[NWP]
Players
1,890 posts
12,633 battles

Hindenburg is a must buy.

Choice between Moskva and Henri depends on your playstyle. Did you like playing the Frenchies cause the Henri is exactly the same playsyle: you can rack up damage, but not much of a team player. Moskva is a very strong bow tanking "cruiser", with good speed and long range radar. Nothing like the Donskoi imo. Can be a real force multiplier if your team is up for it.

Atm, my choice would be Henri

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,397 posts
5,436 battles

Moskva and HIV are very strong in most games. The Hindenburg is strong in every game. The combination of durability, AA, DPM, Hydro and alright concealment means there is always one part of the ship you can play around no matter the matchup or situation.

Players
509 posts

Imo HIV is just bad.

French CA in general are only a nuisance and hardly decide any game. Stay at favourable distances and positions and fire as much HE at the enemy team as possible. When every enemy ship in range has at least one fire you did you job, the only job your good at.

Saint-Louis is just better at that than HIV. No reason to get the TX. This is reflected in stats as well. SL is second or best in all relevant stats on T9 while HIV is only middle of the road on her tier.

Same goes IMO for Moskva as well.

AP is nice but the issue is obviously that the AP only really works on broadside. So if you are forced to use a lot of HE then Moskva gets out DPM by Dmitri Donskoi.

In DM you can even from time to time surprise someone with torpedoes. The lack of those makes Moskva in brawl situations outright useless not that you ever want to get into one of those with this [edited].

As top bonus DM has way less profile than Moskva and is more agile…

Stats show a little of this as well. DM sits comfortable right at the middle on her tier basically all the time while Moskva is a bit more over the place with trend of being inferior.

Hindenburg is nice upgrade from Roon.

Unlike the other two mentioned here the Hindenburg is the only TX that makes the T9 more or less obsolete.

The bonus in HE pen makes her despite lower HE damage a potent HE spammer and the AP is murder if the enemy ever shows broadside.

On the down side she sluggish and visible from somewhere around Pluto. AP are hit and miss. To me even rather slight angles makes it useless.

No game deciding consumable on the ship. DM, Moskva and Mino have access to better consumables and it shows as they have better WR than Hindenburg despite considerable difference in Dmg. Their impact on the game is probably greater by denying DD the room to operate. Another clue would be that with less dmg they have more kills hinting the fact that their dmg actually counts for more and Hindenburg players like French cruiser players are more of a nuisance than game deciders by dmg stat padding.

You have German cruiser hydro but with such a [edited] that gets seen from everywhere how often do you get to use it offensively to flush a smoke ship from hiding? Compare that to Radar… no competition there IMO.

So my recommendation would be: Des Moines.

It is just more useful than the others. You have Radar against the DDs and Def AA against sky cancer. Win – Win.

You out DPM anyone and your concealment and agility are alright.

The only disadvantage is US shell arcs and no torps. But the shell arcs may work in your favour if you master the art of firing over islands...

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,911 posts
7,793 battles

I dont have either of them, but ...

Hindenburg if you prefer close quarters action pack type play style. (CLOSE AND PERSONAL)

Moskva if you prefer bow on battleship stationary type play style. (ISLAND CAMPING)

Henry if you prefer long range fast ship kite away type play style. (LONG RANGE SPAMMER)

Each of them has pros and cons ... i would suggest watching some CCs. 

thats how I see them.

[FAD]
Players
86 posts

I believe Hindenburg and Moskva are good ships Hindenburg is more easier to me it depends by your playstyle which ship you want to buy

[NOCAP]
Players
1,521 posts
15,439 battles

I have all three, Hindenburg is number one. My number two would be Henri, I liked every Frenchie from low tiers up to the top. They essentially play the same way. I haven't learned yet how to play the Moskva, I kinda struggle with the guns. It may sound weird but for me it's easier to hit with Des Moines than with Zao or Moskva.

Only you know which of the play styles would suit you.

• Cool 1

1,471 posts
10,089 battles

Moskva all way, long range spam, good frontal armor, radar.....  big cons is: broadside= dead. If you can handle this problem, then you will have fun with Moskva.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Moskva has low DPM but is tanky and excellent long range. Probably improves the longer a game goes on for.

As others have said, the high velocity guns are a thing of beauty as you'll be able to hit even DDs out to medium range reliably. 

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,041 battles

Hindenburg probably has the highest DPM and easiest to play due to turtleback armor. If I had to pick between zao and hinden...I would pick the hindenburg. You might want to test these ships in PTS before you commit.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,359 battles

Hindenburg