Jump to content
_Montagne

How do I play Taiho Correctly? (Stock for now)

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[RAGE]
Players
44 posts
11,168 battles

Currently I'm a crap  very bad cv player and would really love to improve. After playing Hiryu I noticed a massive decrease in win rate from my Hiryu's 71% win rate to Shokaku's 38%. I have no idea how this happened considering shokaku uses the same loadout as hiryu. This decrease in win rate has made me feel much more useless in battle. Its like I know that I'm not going to win this battle even though I know how to attack properly. I provide spotting for my team, we lose. I do attacks on enemy ships, we lose. I destroy a good amount of planes saving teammates, we lose. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, its depressing. Its same with midway.

 

Please help me, thank you for the support.

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (3).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,228 posts
6,768 battles

First, you don't need Manual AA nor AFT. Get more skill for your planes (the 1 points one, except the one at the top-right which is useless), and get CE instead. CE helps positioning closer to the fleet, which means faster rotations too.

You have a dAA consumable already. And only noobs will try to CV snipe. You can deal with them easily as long as you keep an eye to the minimap.

 

Second, how to Taihou...

 

Well, first, get the TB and Fighters, then the 2-3-2 deck, then the DB, and finally the hull.

 

As for the gameplay itself : don't "just" spot or "just" attack ship. You have to do both at the same time, or at least to divide the works efficiently.

 

I am by no mean a great player, but I'm decent enough with CVs to give some trouble to experienced players.

Starts by spotting ahead of the main group of your fleet. While you're at it, move your CV behind them, and send fast a fighter into the enemy camp until you spot some ships. Retreat immediately toward your fleet when you see fighters coming.

At that point, if you don't see enemy TB and DB after 2-3 minutes, he's probably planning to try and snipe you. It's rare but happens. Deploy your fighters on both end of your CV detection range, and harass enemy ships with your DB (baits or firestarter) and your TB (DDs killers, smoke saturation or get some damage on a big target).

 

Keep an eye on the enemy fighters. One of the hardest part of the job against an experienced player is to spot and to strike enemy DD while preventing enemy fighters to spot yours. You need to provide vision, block strike on your allies, strike enemy DDs. Really, I personally think the core of the CV gameplay is there. Killing enemy DD and protecting allied DD win games.

 

If everything gone smoothly, you should have cleared some enemy fighters, both by baiting them into friendly AA and by straffing and counter-straffing, and most of the enemy DD are dead or can't move agressively. At that point you turn into "farm damage mode" and you clear isolated targets or the most agressives players. As long as you stay far of the concentrated AA zone you should have no problem.

 

Taiho have quite the reserve of TB, but not that much of fighters, so you have to be conservative. However tiers 9 and 10 CV planes are very durable, so you can pretty much attack any target with a concentrated attack of all your TB and DB, as long as there's no DAA involved at least.

 

 

I usually think dealing with another Taiho is harder than dealing with an Essex. Simply put because since you have the same CV, the difference in skill is very clear if there's one.

 

 

However, as much as you carry your team with you CV, remember that you can't always carry idiots. You may have the AA superiority, and strikes targets one after another, if your team really sucks and refuses to cap the objective, you'll lose.

Well, there are time where your team just roflstomp the enemy while the other CV utterly dominated you, so it balances out in the end.

 

I may have sound presomptuous there, but that's how I conceive IJN CV gameplay generally, and I think I learned a lot by playing Kaga before buying Taihou. At least it works decently for me.

 

 

EDIT : I can't help you much on Midway. However from what I heard from much better CV player than myself, it is now the strongest tier X CV by far. A good Midway player will eat any Hakuryuu for breakfast. The damage potential of that ship is just over the top, and the fighters are seasoned serial killers.

Also for your Shoukaku : you only played her 32 battles man. That's just not big enough a sample to draw conclusion from your winrate. You may have been out of luck for some battles, and your winrate took a huge hit. A winrate really becomes significant with around 150 battles played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RAGE]
Players
44 posts
11,168 battles
1 hour ago, ShinGetsu said:

First, you don't need Manual AA nor AFT. Get more skill for your planes (the 1 points one, except the one at the top-right which is useless), and get CE instead. CE helps positioning closer to the fleet, which means faster rotations too.

You have a dAA consumable already. And only noobs will try to CV snipe. You can deal with them easily as long as you keep an eye to the minimap.

 

Second, how to Taihou...

 

Well, first, get the TB and Fighters, then the 2-3-2 deck, then the DB, and finally the hull.

 

As for the gameplay itself : don't "just" spot or "just" attack ship. You have to do both at the same time, or at least to divide the works efficiently.

 

I am by no mean a great player, but I'm decent enough with CVs to give some trouble to experienced players.

Starts by spotting ahead of the main group of your fleet. While you're at it, move your CV behind them, and send fast a fighter into the enemy camp until you spot some ships. Retreat immediately toward your fleet when you see fighters coming.

At that point, if you don't see enemy TB and DB after 2-3 minutes, he's probably planning to try and snipe you. It's rare but happens. Deploy your fighters on both end of your CV detection range, and harass enemy ships with your DB (baits or firestarter) and your TB (DDs killers, smoke saturation or get some damage on a big target).

 

Keep an eye on the enemy fighters. One of the hardest part of the job against an experienced player is to spot and to strike enemy DD while preventing enemy fighters to spot yours. You need to provide vision, block strike on your allies, strike enemy DDs. Really, I personally think the core of the CV gameplay is there. Killing enemy DD and protecting allied DD win games.

 

If everything gone smoothly, you should have cleared some enemy fighters, both by baiting them into friendly AA and by straffing and counter-straffing, and most of the enemy DD are dead or can't move agressively. At that point you turn into "farm damage mode" and you clear isolated targets or the most agressives players. As long as you stay far of the concentrated AA zone you should have no problem.

 

Taiho have quite the reserve of TB, but not that much of fighters, so you have to be conservative. However tiers 9 and 10 CV planes are very durable, so you can pretty much attack any target with a concentrated attack of all your TB and DB, as long as there's no DAA involved at least.

 

 

I usually think dealing with another Taiho is harder than dealing with an Essex. Simply put because since you have the same CV, the difference in skill is very clear if there's one.

 

 

However, as much as you carry your team with you CV, remember that you can't always carry idiots. You may have the AA superiority, and strikes targets one after another, if your team really sucks and refuses to cap the objective, you'll lose.

Well, there are time where your team just roflstomp the enemy while the other CV utterly dominated you, so it balances out in the end.

 

I may have sound presomptuous there, but that's how I conceive IJN CV gameplay generally, and I think I learned a lot by playing Kaga before buying Taihou. At least it works decently for me.

 

 

EDIT : I can't help you much on Midway. However from what I heard from much better CV player than myself, it is now the strongest tier X CV by far. A good Midway player will eat any Hakuryuu for breakfast. The damage potential of that ship is just over the top, and the fighters are seasoned serial killers.

Also for your Shoukaku : you only played her 32 battles man. That's just not big enough a sample to draw conclusion from your winrate. You may have been out of luck for some battles, and your winrate took a huge hit. A winrate really becomes significant with around 150 battles played.

Its an incredible amount of detail. Thank you for the reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,726 battles

It would help if you could show us a replay of one of your normal CV games. By watching it, we may be able to give some advice about your playstyle that is just not possible by only looking at stats.

 

Very important: Don't play with captain in training. Your AS skill won't work like that and having one fighter less per squad is a large disadvantage for you. Use Elite Exp or premium ships to avoid that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MIRAI]
Players
160 posts
7,982 battles

I can tell you why you are not a good CV player. It is because you skip ships too fast, you are still not used to the setups you have. If you skip Ryujo, Hiryu and Shoukaku, it is a given that you'll suck in Taihou. (Don't take this personally, i also don't want to offend you, but this is the truth) I also don't consider that playing 10-30 games is enough to learn a particular ship.

 

Well, if you just keep playing taiho, your play should get better eventually. Other than that, i heavily suggest you to play for your team, instead of farming damage for yourself. Like, if there is any enemy that can be killed but got invisible, just send a plane to spot him and let your team kill it, it doesn't matter what plane you keep above him as long as your team kills said target quickly. You should allow yourself to sacrifice a few planes for scouting if needed. I remember a number of situations where i kept a TB squadron over a DD for my team to kill it, and lost the said squadron. Still, i did my best to keep him spotted for the team. You should be aware of what your team is doing, and take necessary actions. Lose planes, lose time, lose damage, but win.

 

A good rule of thumb to getting better at CVs is how effectively you defend your team. If you only damage the enemy ships and not protect your team, then the enemy CV will simply do the same. Don't let enemy CV hit your team. Don't let him scout your ships, especially DDs. Pay more attention to who your team is focusing, aim for DoT on that target. Coordinate with your team for that if needed, i do that a lot. Tell your team which enemy used damagecon, and ask them to tell you who did.

 

Keep playing and improve. If after 300 more games you still suck, send me a pm and we can play a few matches together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,157 posts
14,439 battles

You don't play CVs in randoms without at least upgraded fighters and TBs.

Yes, spend that free exp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DIKI]
Players
1,227 posts
299 battles

38% in shoaku probably shows you did not adapt to 2 things

 

1. Much stronger aaa on ships (8-10)

2. Picking targers. 

 

On 8+ cv must pick target much more in regard of ships with no fly zone AAA. 

 

Also new buffed USA cv took easy mode from t8+ ijn cv because you don't win fighter fights on click. 

 

As for play it is same As before. 

 

Spot with bombers

 

Protect with fighters

 

Kill with 3 TB....

 

Priority targets are dds than BBs

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
78 posts
5,356 battles
On 31-12-2017 at 11:23 PM, _xKhaos_ said:

Currently I'm a crap  very bad cv player and would really love to improve. After playing Hiryu I noticed a massive decrease in win rate from my Hiryu's 71% win rate to Shokaku's 38%.

Its because T7 is a stable tier to play CV on. I had the same with my ranger on T7... T8 get really quick uptiered with T9/T10 -> Against better AA...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AAO]
Players
401 posts
7,170 battles

Dont play with stock planes nor flight controll, hull upgrades can wait, check those skills again. After T7 CV snipes are very rare since its very costly to the attacker.

 

Also get fighter ammo skill under support ( 1pt ) it helps alot in the air war, rest is as above: Pick your targets, spot for your team and deny enemy strikes.

 

T9 might be bit harsh enviorment to learn the CV so i would suggest either play vs bots OR play lower tiers untill you notice where you went wrong last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RAGE]
Players
44 posts
11,168 battles

Well it feels as if I've improved thanks to the feedback. There are a couple games where the team was idiots but hey its wows.

Screenshot (5).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AAO]
Players
401 posts
7,170 battles
3 hours ago, _xKhaos_ said:

Well it feels as if I've improved thanks to the feedback. There are a couple games where the team was idiots but hey its wows.

Screenshot (5).png

There will be games where you cannot carry your surface fleet even if you disable the enemy CV and deal 200k dmg. Also one sided AA ships will make your games hard, but that teaches you value of spotting and to strike those isolated targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[RAGE]
Players
44 posts
11,168 battles

This is a replay I had, where I started to burst out laughing at the end. And tell me what I could do better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Stop playing T9 CVs and go back down for a bit.

 

Even save up Free XP to get the upgraded planes.

 

Taiho and T9 CVs take no prisoners. I have one but I barely play her and I keep myself to T7 and T8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[FDUSH]
Players
1,194 posts
6,749 battles

Im seriously thinking in giving my Hakuryu upgraded secondaries. However I didn't considered at all giving secondaries to Taiho. I used them on Shokaku because it had 8 X 2 128 mm cannons. But Taiho barely have 6 X 2 100 mm ones. Nevertheless. Really nice work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,726 battles
Vor 1 Minute, Sargento_YO sagte:

Im seriously thinking in giving my Hakuryu upgraded secondaries. However I didn't considered at all giving secondaries to Taiho. I used them on Shokaku because it had 8 X 2 128 mm cannons. But Taiho barely have 6 X 2 100 mm ones. Nevertheless. Really nice work.

Don't. :fish_panic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BGNAV]
Players
264 posts
3,318 battles

Are you joking ? You played 6-7 battles when you opened the thread saying that you lost 4 of them and now we have to solve this big mystery, ok tomorrow I will buy a new ship, loose the first game and will come here to open a thread "Help me I went from 60% to 0% winrate by moving to the next tier". Next time play 50 battles first then come here to talk if you still have problems that is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GURKA]
Players
2,341 posts
6,760 battles
1 hour ago, sisito0o said:

Are you joking ? You played 6-7 battles when you opened the thread saying that you lost 4 of them and now we have to solve this big mystery, ok tomorrow I will buy a new ship, loose the first game and will come here to open a thread "Help me I went from 60% to 0% winrate by moving to the next tier". Next time play 50 battles first then come here to talk if you still have problems that is...

His arguing with his winrate is maybe wrong, but his matter is still right? He is a beginner with the Taiho and asks for help. Would be more weird, if I would play a ship tons of game and would have then questions about it ^^'

However I guess his issues got solved by some peoples here already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GURKA]
Players
2,341 posts
6,760 battles
On 11.1.2018 at 8:11 PM, Sargento_YO said:

Im seriously thinking in giving my Hakuryu upgraded secondaries. However I didn't considered at all giving secondaries to Taiho. I used them on Shokaku because it had 8 X 2 128 mm cannons. But Taiho barely have 6 X 2 100 mm ones. Nevertheless. Really nice work.

When you're considering to use secondaries, you're doing something wrong. As CV your positioning matters. You should move with your team on a higher distance, so no dd can hunt you.

In some cases I used my secondaries in a cv, especially in a Kaga it's fun. But that are rare cases and you don't waste points for 1 of 100 games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×