Sign in to follow this  
DiMtopia

initial thoughts and asking for suggestions

9 comments in this topic

Players
19 posts
286 battles

started playing yesterday and have to say i'm pretty impressed with the game.

not only does this game have co-op vs bots, which is perfect for learning the mechanics but it also has a rather decent tutorial system.

i've chosen to focus on 3 lines:

1. russian cruisers - because wargaming is russian-biased so i'm assuming russian ships are stronk. da. blyat. i am at tier 4, the svietlana

2. german battleships - because bismark. currently at tier 3, kolberg

3. british cruisers - no particular reason, just wanted a 3rd line. i'm currently at tier 3, the caledon.

anyway, i've got a few unclear things i'd like to learn more about.

1. ammunition type. AP vs HE. at the moment i'm mostly using HE as i seem to have more success with it. it may not have the highest damage but it's pretty reliable, plus it starts fires. with AP i usually tend to do less damage on average, either because i bounce or overpenetrate. so far the only situation where the AP seems to do better (not always) is when i have clear shots at the side of a battleship. however i still get bounces even then, plus i don't get any fire damage. is ther a guide to ammo. something that clearly explains when and where to to shoot AP/HE? i feel like intelligently switching ammo type is the key to having better games.

2. xp/credits in co-op vs pvp. it seems like i gain 3 times more xp in a random battle than i do in co-op. is there any info in xp/credit gains at different tiers for these 2 game modes? i mean co-op is great but if it takes 3 times longer to get the same results, then i see no point bothering with it other than researching the initial modules on a ship.

3. is the game economy similar to the one in wot? meaning without premium you tend to lose credits at tiers 9-10 so you need to grind them at tier 6-8?

4. how can i stock up on equipment? i see there's a 50% discount on buying upgrades and since i've got a few credits (5 mil) i was thinking it would be a good investment to buy some right now and use them later once i get more ships. but i see no option to do so. do i have to get to level 13 to unlock the inventory? i'm at level 10 now.

5. what's the karma thing? it says my karma is 0.

6. commander skills guide?

thanks.

edit// also my best battle so far:

image.thumb.png.a2a582e21170b8141ebb3e7325a1a3b4.png

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,404 battles

Firstly a warm welcome to both the game and the forums! :Smile_great:

Now, I'll mostly be linking tutorials here, and all credits go to the original creators. I'll be doing this because im sure that however I explain it, they will do it better :Smile_hiding:

So;

1.  AP or HE?

Spoiler

2. Spot on, Co-op nets you less profit (Unless the margin in performance makes up for the difference, so, say you cant get 5k dmg in randoms, but get 100k in co-op or something like that). Most experienced players use co-op to try out new ships, research crucial modules (For example carriers are heavily stat-dependant, so it is reccomended to research aircraft upgrades asap.)

3. In personal experience I find the game economy to be slightly milder than in WoT, though this might be due to my higher performance in WoWS than WoT. A noteable difference is in the way captains are trained; you only have one captain, not an entire crew, so that cuts back on costs. Also, whereas in WoT a 100% crew was needed for optimal performance, in WoWS your ship will function normally as long as you have a captain in it (though some ships do need certain skills to be competetive).

4. Afaik. there is no way to purchase upgrades like in WoT from port, so you'd have to buy them and then dismount them, though I am not sure on this one.

5. Karma is a balance between reports and compliments. 1 report = -1karma, 1 compliment +1 karma. If you are familiar with the report system from WoT, WoWS has the same system + a way to compliment players. Your karma has no effect on gameplay besides the amount of reports and compliments that you can use per day.

6. A good place to see the most used captain skills is on http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc, as for how they work; in short they affect the performance of your ship in-game, buffing for example AA or secondaries, survivability, utility or firepower. 

Spoiler

Hope this helps! If there is anything else you'd like to know, please, feel free to ask here on the forums, and I would definetly check out Ichase's captains's academy, it contains vital information regarding game mechanics!

Spoiler

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
286 battles

wow, thank you very much for the excellent reply.

one thing i had forgotten to ask was a youtuber's channel where i might learn a thing or two. i've seen wows videos on the mighty jingles before but the ichase videos you linked seem just like what i need.

subscribed to it and it seems like i've got a lot of watching to do.

Players
204 posts
329 battles

Flamu and Noster to name a few. Imo Flamu does the unicum midset more justice and that mighty jingles is just a filthy casual statpading his channel with other peoples replays.

In general look for up to date ship rewiews or get a basic sense how to handle a particualr ship no matter how old that recording is. The mindset and basic tactical guidelines don't change much either. 

To know the meta and to see threats on loading screen comes with time or just looking up ship performance in wows.today etc. How to deal with them is a long story of researching armour layouts and pros vs cons. Deleting them early on helps as not giwing a fight and being a coward to. You either focus those down or delete his support so that he has to fight against your zerg. Pretty much a choice of shooting at an bow of an deadly BB or deleting a DD that shows his side with HE fire.

Players
440 posts
5,824 battles

1. ammunition type. AP vs HE. at the moment i'm mostly using HE as i seem to have more success with it. it may not have the highest damage but it's pretty reliable, plus it starts fires. with AP i usually tend to do less damage on average, either because i bounce or overpenetrate. so far the only situation where the AP seems to do better (not always) is when i have clear shots at the side of a battleship. however i still get bounces even then, plus i don't get any fire damage. is ther a guide to ammo. something that clearly explains when and where to to shoot AP/HE? i feel like intelligently switching ammo type is the key to having better games.

At lower tiers (below tier 5) you mainly use HE for DD and CL especially if your target is bow on to you and this against DD-CL-BB, in the case of cruisers and battleships try to aim for the superstructure otherwise your HE shells will shatter and do 0 dmg against the armor belt.

AP is best used to try to get citadels against cruisers mainly.

If you are in a BB, you usally use AP (exception being maybe the RN BB), especially if a BB or cruiser is broadside to you, aim for the flotation line and get citadels.

2. xp/credits in co-op vs pvp. it seems like i gain 3 times more xp in a random battle than i do in co-op. is there any info in xp/credit gains at different tiers for these 2 game modes? i mean co-op is great but if it takes 3 times longer to get the same results, then i see no point bothering with it other than researching the initial modules on a ship.

Coop being against easy bots this is therefore normal the xp/credits rewards are lower.

3. is the game economy similar to the one in wot? meaning without premium you tend to lose credits at tiers 9-10 so you need to grind them at tier 6-8?

Yes indeed, starting tier 7-8 you may lose credits if you are a bad or average player, at tier 9-10 you lose credits without premium most of the time.

4. how can i stock up on equipment? i see there's a 50% discount on buying upgrades and since i've got a few credits (5 mil) i was thinking it would be a good investment to buy some right now and use them later once i get more ships. but i see no option to do so. do i have to get to level 13 to unlock the inventory? i'm at level 10 now.

Unfortunately, compared to WOT, you can't stock consumables. When it is about upgrades all you can do is, when upgrades are discounted to equip ships that have empty upgrades slots. Other way is to mount an upgrade, then dismount it (for gold/doubloons) and then equip another one -> repeat.

5. what's the karma thing? it says my karma is 0.

Karma is supposed to reflect the 'votes' you get from other players, can be congratulations -> karma goes up, can be criticisms -> karma goes down.

Actually, totally useless feature, nobody cares about karma.

Wows wiki is your friend

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
286 battles

i'm trying to gauge the role of various ship types and i've read some stuff but it does not seem to fit the pattern i'm seeing in the game, especially when it comes to battleships.

as i said i chose a few cruiser lines on top of those i also picked the japanese cruisers.

these ships are supposed to be the all rounders, jack of all trades, able to do most tasks competently. this means they're support. they should stay behind the battleships and support them. right? that's what logic says and what i've read about the game.

but what i'm seeing (at tiers 3-5) is that battleships usually hug the edge of the map, or find a location behind some islands and just sit there firing from long range.

i mean, sure, battleships have really long range firing guns but that doesn't mean they should hide in a corner, let others spot and then farm damage from afar. should it?

maybe it's because at low tiers most people (myself included) don't know a lot, but from what i keep seeing the team that has aggressive battleships that aren't afraid to attack usually wins. because if a battleship moves forward and tanks, then cruisers and destroyers usually follow it and assist.

and speaking of battleships, maybe i'm way off over here, but aren't they a little bit overpowered? and i'm not saying they're OP as in they can take anybody 1v1 and win. obviously a destroyer with good vision control can ninja kill a battleship. no, i'm saying a battleship's influence over the course of a battle seems to be the most important of all ship types. if your only battleship is afk or camping in the back then you'll most likely lose, whereas if you have an afk cruser/destroyer it's not such a huge deal.

also, afk people. isn't there supposed to be a punishment or something for that? almos every battle one team or both, have afks and at the end they still get xp. lower than others, sure, but still. what's gonna stop me from joining battle, leaving to the port and joining another battle, and so on with 20 ships? by the time i'm done, the first ship's battle has already ended and i can start the cycle again. easy farming.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
20 hours ago, DiMtopia said:

a rather decent tutorial system.

Since when? :Smile_teethhappy: WoWS literally doesn't have a tutorial, not that I know of anyway

3. british cruisers - no particular reason, just wanted a 3rd line. i'm currently at tier 3, the caledon.

Very bad choice for a new player. RN CLs are probably the most skill requiring line of ships that aren't CVs in the game.

1. ammunition type. AP vs HE.

To be completely fair up to tier 3 I generally don't bother with anything except HE, everyone has too little armour anyway. At 4 you start thinking what to use. Simple version - AP on broadside targets, HE on bow on / stern on targets. Then again, not all AP can pen everyone - DDs definitely don't have enough pen to go through BBs armour belt. Generally - the higher caliber, the better your AP is, and the usage of it comes with practice. Experiment while playing, get used to what hits what.

Training room is a good way to practice and test things like that - currently you need a mod to get it, but with 0.7.0 arriving expectedly on 11th January everyone will have access to it.

Also YouTube and Twitch - great sources of information.

2. xp/credits in co-op vs pvp.

Co-op earns less xp and credits, but it's like  95% WR? Something like that

Winning game gives you +50% credits and xp (lets say you lost and got 500 xp and 50k credits -> if you won that game with those same results it would have been 750xp and 75k credits)

Then again, randoms earn more but player WRs generally are between 40% and 60% depending how well you perform generally. so you get the win bonus far less

3. is the game economy similar to the one in wot?

Same idea, just much easier.

If you're good you can still manage to go at least even (if not even make a small profit) at tier 9, and all you have to do to earn money at tier 10 is to buy permanent (premium) camo for that ship. Premium account helps, of course.

Also unlike WoT we get premium ships for free XP - currently we have tier 9 Missouri for 750k free XP and tier 7 Nelson for 375k free XP. Missouri will soon (like 2-ish months) be replaced by Musashi, which will cost 920k free XP. Effectively you can some premium ships jsut by playing the game, no money spent.

4. how can i stock up on equipment?

Sadly enough, you can't. This has been requested since day 1, and we still don't have the ability to do so. Discounts are just there for that moment, like "play the game and save a few credits compared to the usual."

Well, in theory you sort of can actually - you know those containers you get? If you go for the consumables one you'll get some of them. Generally my recommendation is signals container, you may never have too many signals to use :cap_like:

5. what's the karma thing?

Ignore it, literally pointless.

0 is minimal, can't go below. Reports = karma goes down, complements = karma goes up. You can't complement divisionmates, so don't hope to get too many complements. Reports will come in tho - even if you do good and carry, someone will be reporting you :Smile_teethhappy:

If you get your karma high enough you get extra max reports & complements per day.

YouTube, generally. Or post a thread asking for tips for some particular ship / line / playstyle. The only one that's consistent through more or less everything is that it's always beneficial to run concealment.

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
286 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Very bad choice for a new player. RN CLs are probably the most skill requiring line of ships that aren't CVs in the game.

what does RN CL mean?

and yeah, i read that the british cruisers aren't your regular cup of tea so i put them on hold and started with the japanese cruisers.

thanks for everything else.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
13 minutes ago, DiMtopia said:

what does RN CL mean?

and yeah, i read that the british cruisers aren't your regular cup of tea so i put them on hold and started with the japanese cruisers.

thanks for everything else.

Royal Navy Light Cruiser

Common abbreviations go like this:

Spoiler

RN - Royal Navy

IJN - Imperial Japanese Navy

USN - Unated States Navy

KM - Kriegsmarine (German Navy)

BB - Battleship

DD - Destroyer

CV - Carrier

CA - Heavy cruiser (usually 203mm or larger guns)

CL - Light cruiser (usually 155mm guns and smaller)

If I'm not mistaken CB stands for battlecruiser, but we don't have those separated in game - some are classed as CAs, some as BBs.

Not sure how you would mark Armoured Cruiser like St. Louis at t3, could be that same CA

CVs and RN CLs are quite rewarding when played well, but quite hard if you're just learning what to do. Basically high skill floor. When you get your grasp on the game - how what works in general - they can be rather fun to play :cap_happy:

Sign in to follow this