Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

On the super-long term of this game

8 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

WG definitely understands, I mean they made a naval game. The navy is always about long-term, strategic objectives. Even if the same cannot always be said about game development.

WG's game development has followed the same trajectory for over a decade. Regardless of the popularity of their games. It seems they are treating their game design structure like a franchise, with limited malleability.

Like, very limited.

If the question has been asked before of whether this game should be about e-sports levels of entertainment, or chess-like classics-level balance, or historical accuracy and immersion, perhaps by people much more worthy of asking it than me, then we all know what happened afterwards. Most of them left and the game still hasn't changed.

And I feel that WG doesn't care. The most I have seen that it shows they "care" is how they stress " the efforts that go into developing great games". Note that it is not worded as "efforts to provide a quality entertainment service for customers" or "provide quality historical immersion in game structure for customers" or even "develop great games for customers". Just develop games again and again. Like machines. 

It is little surprise their game structures are rigid and closed-loop logic, just like testing algorithms for machines. I once made a snarky remark along the lines of their game but "becoming statistics". Now I'm starting to think it would have been taken as a compliment.

Do they see all their customers as just statistics, too?

That can, and do, just come and go? That are, at base, only seeking pleasure, or profit, only as a business transaction, highly calculated and cold? That loyalty, the "would prefer a customer to stay with us for 5 years, without spending a single cent", is valued, but only "valued"? Because something more "valued" would be a the longevity of one's own business enterprise. 

This is a highly scientific, realistic, and undoubtedly correct approach to treating a business entity, and most things too. "Quality" should only be applied, scientifically, in places where it is empirically justifiable. Like, CG movies, rendering techniques, 3D models.

The "loyal" gamers, no, followers, will surely understand. They will see the perseverance of the standards in quality. This "product", is of high quality. It is a good product. God I'm reading this in a makeshift accent now.

But I don't care. Does it look like we live in a world lacking of "quality", "products", nowadays? Yet, does lacking a bit of e-sports entertainment, or historical passion and knowledge, or even regular mental exercise, really become an issue? If we start asking questions like this, we'll never reach a conclusion. So eventually one will stop asking these questions, and give up. Give up on this game. Give up caring. Give up as a customer. Or stay with the game, just arbitrarily. 

I would take that as an insult, but perhaps to WG, it doesn't matter as long as someone does stick with them and their work, arbitrarily or not. Besides, life is arbitrary, too.

Can someone just please bring up something related to the title, please. This end-of-year is wearing down on me in the wrong way.

Idk, usually by now I'd forcefully redirect this rant into more hopeful directions. Maybe even make an attempt at forming a coherent argument to focus on. (And let it spill out over the word limit.) But today, I really don't care. I was currently mulling over some theories of innate-something about something-games-something but I forgot it. It had minor to do with long-term game absorption or something along the lines of that.

Hmm I should probably dump this in Off-topic instead of gameplay. Oh well, we have mods for that. Some nice customer I am.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

i dont feel enough passion in this post so i will not read it. your last posts where at least twice the size of this one...

• Funny 6

Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

You know what, this is precisely the problem with this game, and really, WG franchise besides WoT in general.

Dying. Cold. No passion. No life. Dying. Dying with no recourse to keep people. No interest. Doesn't matter. A very deep fundamental problem, deeper than any specific design problem.

(Also, well, I'm sorry I forgot about what I wanted to rant on. Like ... ?)

[WGB]
Players
2,083 posts
26,344 battles

@KarmaQU_EU

My advice to you would be, concentrate your life on positives, the human body and mind thrives on positives, you smile more, you constantly feel happy, happiness creates less stress on the brain.

May 2018 lead you into a life of positives and happiness.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,356 posts
11,267 battles

I'm here to have a good time playing the game. And the perceived quality of the product in this case is exactly that - the ability of the game to provide me with entertainment. I don't give a f*ck if the quality comes from meticulous cold calculation or from historical passion and knowledge. Of course, the extent to which various aspects of the game (including game-related stuff that's not strictly inside the computer program) influence its perceived quality are complicated and different for various people - and, this being a multiplayer game - the satisfaction of other people and the kind of people who play this game affects my experience too. In the end, however, yes, it's all about the quality of experience that translates directly to the quality of the product. The games are about their creators' passion only to the extent that this passion enhances in some way the player's experience (that is, as already mentioned, the metric that determines the quality of the product).

Sign in to follow this