You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hiro_016

Some CV gameplay tip pls?

20 comments in this topic

[ANIME]
[ANIME]
Players
171 posts
7,074 battles

I recently just bought a Kaga. 

what I know so far is ALT attack will only attack instantly when the fighter face already turns into the direction you want it to ALT attack. else if you want to attack from sideway the fighter will delay a bit before they start ALT attack. even take longer when they ALT attack backward.    

but then I met a lot of Ranger and Ranger fighter did these a lot to me. 

while (some)Ranger fighter running away, while 'moving' away from my fighter, they instantly reverse ALT attack my fighter. they is no delay, the Ranger fighter didn't stay still but is just backward and ALT attack me. so is this just glitch or a Ranger Thing? 

also when i played Ranger, when both fighters engage, if one ALT attack out another fighter will stay still for 3-4 second, so when i played Ranger some time i disengage and somehow enemy fighter 'stick' to my fighter and carry on the fight in next location that I ALT attack out. but when i try is with Kaga fighter they just stay in the same place where the last fight took place. is this just another trick or just glitch. 

anyone have any idea please give some tip.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,197 posts
14,454 battles
41 minutes ago, Teitoku_Yuuji_Kazami said:

so is this just glitch or a Ranger Thing?

It's neither.

You're simply wrong about the whole delay thing. Fighters will engage into strafing instantly if you've got the distance right.

42 minutes ago, Teitoku_Yuuji_Kazami said:

is this just another trick or just glitch. 

Attack commands will not work when your enemy is strafing out. Move commands however will. To follow an enemy squad that is strafing out simply place a move command in the same direction then reengage.

[AAO]
Players
1,806 posts
9,603 battles

Also, thanks for playing carrier without knowing how to use it!

/s

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[SCRUB]
Players
2,008 posts
1 hour ago, Teitoku_Yuuji_Kazami said:

(...)

anyone have any idea please give some tip.

Get T6 CV and play couple Operations. It is good place to train both your captain and yourself and try out all sort of things that bug you.

• Cool 2

[ANIME]
[ANIME]
Players
171 posts
7,074 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

It's neither.

You're simply wrong about the whole delay thing. Fighters will engage into strafing instantly if you've got the distance right.

Attack commands will not work when your enemy is strafing out. Move commands however will. To follow an enemy squad that is strafing out simply place a move command in the same direction then reengage.

it not like a delay but is the time for the squad to turn around, the squad must stay still or it will take a little bit of time but it will not instantly. so to move away from my plane and somehow while moving and ALT attack backward is really usually. 

also, i did tell them to re-engage million time and they still stay in the same place for a couple seconds 

[ANIME]
[ANIME]
Players
171 posts
7,074 battles
1 hour ago, Skyllon said:

Get T6 CV and play couple Operations. It is good place to train both your captain and yourself and try out all sort of things that bug you.

at least training room coming soon, but thank you for suggestion

[ANIME]
[ANIME]
Players
171 posts
7,074 battles
2 hours ago, PzychoPanzer said:

Also, thanks for playing carrier without knowing how to use it!

/s

it not my fault that i was born without skill to play CV, that why we learn and try to get good.

[AAO]
Players
1,806 posts
9,603 battles
1 minute ago, Teitoku_Yuuji_Kazami said:

it not my fault that i was born without skill to play CV, that why we learn and try to get good.

Uhu. And you didn't start with normal carriers, because? Didn't take them out in coop to learn, because?

Read somewhere about kaga's ability to devstrike about everything in its tier, maybe?

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,197 posts
14,454 battles
3 hours ago, Teitoku_Yuuji_Kazami said:

it not like a delay but is the time for the squad to turn around

Position of the icon is averaged from the models of the fighters, but the actual squad itself is just a dot on the map, the position of which you cannot see and have to develop a feeling for. There are plenty of times when strafing that the icon lags far behind the actual position.

3 hours ago, Teitoku_Yuuji_Kazami said:

also, i did tell them to re-engage million time and they still stay in the same place for a couple seconds 

Place a single move command first, not an attack command (not multiple move commands, though, as that will slow them down). Attack commands do not work when the enemy is strafing out. Reengage only when you're sure your fighters have broken out of the "stun".

[MIRAI]
Players
160 posts
8,047 battles
3 hours ago, Skyllon said:

@Teitoku_Yuuji_Kazami I'd say you better not waste any time on operations. Just play and practice in randoms, it's the best experience you can get at the moment.

As for the fighters:

You need to get some basics first. The first one is that, if you are playing Ranger with only 1 squadron of fighters, you should be ready against Hiryuu/Kaga/Saipan players with 2 squadrons of them. Yes they have more, and can lock down your only squadron and easily strafe you. However, your fighter squadron is the strongest of all, and that results in having a very powerful strafe which can delete an entire squadron instantly, if you can time and position it correctly. Even a head-on strafe exchange can win you some fighter duels.

However, note that you have the smallest reserves for fighters at T7 : only 18 planes, in total. (Hiryuu and Saipan has 24, Kaga has 28). Which points out the most important rule as a carrier : do NOT waste your planes. Ever. Think twice before sending a squadron to death. Or rather, think after you have lost the planes. Ask yourself how you could have protected them better. Exchanging a lot of planes early in the game will turn you into a useless piece of metal floating on the ocean. You should know when to exchange. Here are some examples for that:

-An enemy flanking alone is the perfect target, even if it's a Montana, Des moines or whatever. Do NOT ever approach crowded enemy fleets. That'll end up losing all your planes for dealing very low damage.

-If you are able to finish en enemy whereas your team can't, do it. Sacrificing just a number of planes for sinking an enemy ship is a fair trade. That's why you are here. Also, learn how much damage you can do to a target, that'll help you become better at judging who you can kill or can't.

*As you're playing, you'll see many of those opportunities before you. But sometimes, enemy CV's fighters will be in your way. If that is the case, depending on the opportunity, you may give the decision to send your fighter to deal with the enemy fighters which block your attack. I'm not telling you to win the airfight. Just keeping them busy for getting what you want will be enough. But, by doing such a move, you will most likely lose your fighter squadron, or have only 1-2 planes left, which means that by doing this, you gave the enemy CV a chance to attack as well. "Was your attack worth the damage that your teammates are going to receive soon?" If the answer is no, then you shouldn't have committed that attack. It's usually better to save your fighters for an enemy CV strike.

That is why getting better at fighters is so important. If you get rid of the enemy fighters, you are free to do anything you want. Nothing will prevent you rekting the enemy team, except a very solid teamplay which you most likely won't see. :) Practice strafes, in real matches. There is no better training.

Also, I think i should explain what a strafe-out means, since i don't really see a comprehensive guide, nor a tutorial that explains this officially(Thank you WG). A strafe-out is basically using your ALT-attack with your fighters DURING the dogfight, which allows you to escape from the enemy fighters, but at the cost of 1 plane (saipan doesn't lose any planes becos premium balans, comrade). Also, if you strafe out an enemy fighter squadron, they'll be stunlocked for a few seconds, which makes them vulnurable to a strafe from a 2nd fighter group. Note that you can't do this with USN CVs until Essex. But the enemy can try this against you. But don't worry, there is a way to actually turn the tables around. If you read this guy's post, you learn that you can actually strafe a squadron which just strafed you out. (Which is what he has been saying here, give a MOVE command towards where the enemy strafed out, then quickly place a strafe in the same direction.)

There is another useful way to strafing out. Imagine an enemy CV is about to attack one of your ships, but you have a fighter around. He'll most likely try to engage you directly to keep your fighter busy, let him do that. Immediately following that, he'll move his bombers closer to attack your allied ship. This is where you strafe-out, towards the incoming enemy bombers and wipe them out or heavily cripple them in a single strike. No need to say this ofc, but you should be aware of this when you are the one launching an attack the same way as well.

Uhm. Comes the important part.

There are different methods to deal with enemy fighters in an engagement. There is no 1 best method that works against all players. There are many players with different playstyles/approaches to air battles. I'll try to give you my line of thought as clearly as possible: (This is for Ranger)

Try to catch an enemy fighter squadron in a strafe, if you can pull this off, you've 90% won the first engagement. If enemy CV suffers heavily from your first strafe, engaging you with whatever he has left will actually harm him more.

If you fail and let the enemy catch your fighters in a dogfight, there are 2 things he can do. 1st is that, he can click with his other fighter squad, and let RNG decide the outcome. Versus 2 squadrons, you're more likely to lose, so you should not have let this happened. What you can do to counter him is to strafe out, either escape and let him have 1 more plane advantage, or just strafe towards the incoming enemy fighter squadron. But don't rely on this much, since only noobs will play the clicking game. The 2nd thing they can do is (which is most ppl do), after locking your fighter, they strafe-out, stunlocking you, then strafing with their 2nd squadron. If you readEl2aZeR's guide on counterstrafing, you can use this against your enemy and you'll have destroyed a single enemy squadron with no losses at all. After that, you can dictate the airbattle, since you'll be the one having the advantage.

Then it comes to actually using that advantage. If you just sit still do nothing, the enemy CV will relaunch a new squadron and it'll look bad for you. Don't keep all your planes together. Scatter them. All over the map. Scout the enemy fleet. Not only for yourself, but also for your team. A CV trying to get intel is a game-winning move. After you've seen where the enemies are, where they are going, you pick your first victim. Go hit him as hard as you can, kill him is possible. Your next strike will be after a looong 3 minutes later. If its a battleship, try DoT (Damage over Time),by causing a flood, waiting until he repairs, then set a fire. Or even better, set a fire, wait until he repairs, then flood him (but flood is hard to get consistently. its player's preference)

Also, taking out/heavily damaging an enemy destroyer is an excellent advantage for your team in the early game. Practice dropping on enemy DDs with a single TB squadron (I know it's hard). And since we're talking about DDs, have you ever tried manual torping a smoke screen? Even 1 torp hit on a DD at T7 will disable him and make him useless for the rest of the game.

It's already this long. I guess I'll stop here. Last thing: Protecting your team with your fighters is your most effective move. 2nd one is scouting for the team.

I hope this was helpful. If you have any question to ask, don't hesitate.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,716 posts
9,234 battles

helpful tips:

Learn to accept that everything is your fault. You can play perfectly and someone will still complain.

Your entire gameplay is built around hard decisions. Some ships/players are worth more than others. You'll have to learn how to help the valuable ones and let the non-valuable ones fend for themselves

Those may not act like direct gameplay tips, but they are crucial.
As soon as you understand that no matter what you do, people will complain, and that some players are more valuable than others, you will unstress and feel lighter.
Yeah that guy in a Tirpitz screaming for air support 20 seconds before getting hit by planes while your fighters are on the other side of the map will call you the worst player ever and the spawn of Satan, but you won't care because you're spotting a very dangerous enemy Fletcher while killing an enemy in a dangerous position who's blocking your team, and you'll know that you're doing the correct thing.

• Cool 1

[TIPC]
Players
389 posts
17,281 battles

if u are so interested to learn..go to youtube type the cv u like and u will see many tips and good gameplays that will be more helpful  than  forum advises...cheers!

Players
2,160 posts
4 hours ago, Teitoku_Yuuji_Kazami said:

Bad enough that you inflict a CV game on your team, but you compound the misery of the other 11 players by having zero clue how to play the single most influential class in the fleet.

Do us all a favour and read all the threads, tips and watch every vid you can find.

THEN practice for a few weeks solidly in COOP, then re-watch all the vids, read anything you can find again, THEN put your premium away and learn CV play at tier 4 and grind up the CV line slowly, meanwhile you will also train suitable Captain skills.

If you absolutely must inflict CV games on the rest of your team, at least have the good sense and good manners to learn how to play it well so your team doesn't suffer from "our CV blew us the game" syndrome.

That or give up CV's entirely.

Beta Tester
808 posts
8,041 battles

And this is what’s wrong with CV. A person like this who is learning to play CV would be put up against @El2aZeR and well...you know the rest.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,008 posts
10 hours ago, Fubucky said:

@Teitoku_Yuuji_Kazami I'd say you better not waste any time on operations. Just play and practice in randoms, it's the best experience you can get at the moment.

(...)

Yes, because we all like so much when one player is undermining entire team effort... But by all means. My Ryujo can always farm more kills... :Smile_teethhappy:

Getting good xp count in OPS is much easier then Randoms and you can improve strafing, torping and bombing to your heart's content. So why is it waste of time exactly?

There is nothing wrong with getting experience in random matches, but only after you are familiar with the ship you are playing and you know what you are doing. And judging by OP's own words:

12 hours ago, Teitoku_Yuuji_Kazami said:

he definitely could do couple co-op / ops matches and play on lower tier before jumping into Kaga.

[AAO]
Players
1,806 posts
9,603 battles
21 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

he definitely could do couple co-op / ops matches and play on lower tier before jumping into Kaga.

Well, the saipan's there would appreciate the clear skies, I guess...

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,197 posts
14,454 battles
9 hours ago, P2Win said:

And this is what’s wrong with CV. A person like this who is learning to play CV would be put up against @El2aZeR and well...you know the rest.

Hardly.

I mean okay, I would (and have in the past) crush this guy for sure, but that wouldn't win me the match. The ability to counterplay a CV exists for surface vessels, whether people use them or not isn't a problem with CVs.

[MIRAI]
Players
160 posts
8,047 battles
5 hours ago, Skyllon said:

Getting good xp count in OPS is much easier then Randoms and you can improve strafing, torping and bombing to your heart's content. So why is it waste of time exactly?

What is the point of trying to strafe a bot who doesn't strafe you back? This will earn you the pointless ability to strafe someone who doesn't strafe you back which most likely won't happen in a random battle. Being able to bomb bots doesn't mean that you can bomb people reliably either. You can also bait def AA of bots quite easily, but some people won't be baited with a single dive bomber that easily. There is also the "teamplay aspect" of CVs, which you can reliably learn by hearing people say "CV why no help?", "CV u suck!!", "noob CV reported". Those people usually tell you what you can do better (even if they don't mean it that way) adn it gives you a lot more information and experience about playing CVs.

The issue is not getting good xp and about farming, it is about trying and learning. Again, random battles are the best exercise.

There is nothing wrong with getting experience in random matches, but only after you are familiar with the ship you are playing and you know what you are doing. And judging by OP's own words:

Then I'll suggest everyone who got a new ship to go out and practice in co-op to learn and become familiar with the ship they are playing and they know what they are doing. Not only CVs, but BBs, CLs, and DDs too. Everytime they research a new ship.

He is actually doing allright already. He can already use bombers fine. What he needs is fighter training. And he can only learn it against real players.

[NKK]
Beta Tester
661 posts
6,616 battles
10 hours ago, TeaCupYuri said:

Git Gud :>

If you have the time and patience, go watch Fara's videos on CVs. 

Exactly right. If you want to play CVs, Farazelleth guide is the best you can watch. It's long, but you learn a lot.