NothingButTheRain

What to actually do at the start of a battle?

19 comments in this topic

Players
3,032 posts
7,148 battles

So I've been wondering about this for a while now and I came to the conclusion that I don't actually know what to do at the start of a battle.

When playing DD this seems pretty easy as one basically just goes toward a cap and try to contest it.

With cruiser I basically try to stay alive and support (especially the DDs).

But with BBs, I don't actually know what to do at the very start and I basically just turn and sail towards the most furthest cap so I have more time to think about what I should be doing...which isn't really ideal I think.

Does anyone know what I should do when playing BB?

I'm asking this here since this is kinda a newbie question and because I'm kinda a newbie player still. Thanks in advance :Smile_hiding:

[CATS]
Players
15,947 posts
11,189 battles
4 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

So I've been wondering about this for a while now and I came to the conclusion that I don't actually know what to do at the start of a battle.

When playing DD this seems pretty easy as one basically just goes toward a cap and try to contest it.

With cruiser I basically try to stay alive and support (especially the DDs).

But with BBs, I don't actually know what to do at the very start and I basically just turn and sail towards the most furthest cap so I have more time to think about what I should be doing...which isn't really ideal I think.

I'm asking this here since this is kinda a newbie question and because I'm kinda a newbie player still. Thanks in advance :Smile_hiding:

If you go to cap with DDs, support DDs in caps with your cruisers, why do you do something different in your BB and sail away? How does that help your team?

Players
3,032 posts
7,148 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

If you go to cap with DDs, support DDs in caps with your cruisers, why do you do something different in your BB and sail away? How does that help your team?

I basically do the same...except that with cruisers I'm more kidna shoehorned into a more supportive role by the fragility and lesser ranges of cruisers.

With BBs, at the start of the match (except for looking at the list of what ships are in there and if theres any important ships) I'll usually "follow" one of the DDs or sail towards the furthest cap, both because I don't know what to do.

I think it's also down to having not a lot of map knowledge.

Is there any repository of map tactics, where maps are explained and what usually happens? maybe even what good spots are for certain types of ships or something?

Players
204 posts
329 battles

This isn't wot, where you haw to memoryze all bushes and hard structures AND the same for the enemy team and the potential vision later when the game progresses. WoWs is slow, but has unlimited ammunition; use it.

At the start of a battle 1 min in look where your team ships bows are pointed and plan your sailing course acordingly to utilyse the targets they will uncover enentually. Decide which turn you want to perform before had and lock your turrets to self turn into port or starbord position, freeing your atention from your free look and mouse to comunicate with your team. Always haw either hard cower as an escape route nearby or cruise at the edge of vision range. When being targeted, forget your turret location and wiggle away from your target and even cease fire to sneak away. There is plenty of time for situational awarenes ewen inbetween turret salvos and hawing a good understanding about game mechanics (in particular how vision works) should maintian you at 50% winrate if you take it seriously. And lastly (which nobody does sadly), don't hurry to T10. Get atleast a lvl 10 captain in T1-5 and move him up to T10. WG plays with your preception of power creep, and it isin't as obwious as gold shels in wot, but premium ships haw beter hard ond soft stats with the addition of being a captain training/credit earning platform. I even like the concep with some of  the flags; you increase your "chance" but you get an equally harmfull penaly to it to. I just hope WoWs greed will be in bearable bound's; not like where WoT is headed now.

• Cool 1

Players
3,032 posts
7,148 battles

1 hour ago, nimlock said:

Decide which turn you want to perform before had and lock your turrets to self turn into port or starbord position, freeing your atention from your free look and mouse to comunicate with your team.

How do I do this? I only know how to point to the side where I want my turrets aiming and then type. Can this be done completely hands free then?

1 hour ago, nimlock said:

This isn't wot, where you haw to memoryze all bushes and hard structures AND the same for the enemy team and the potential vision later when the game progresses. WoWs is slow, but has unlimited ammunition; use it.

At the start of a battle 1 min in look where your team ships bows are pointed and plan your sailing course acordingly to utilyse the targets they will uncover enentually. Decide which turn you want to perform before had and lock your turrets to self turn into port or starbord position, freeing your atention from your free look and mouse to comunicate with your team. Always haw either hard cower as an escape route nearby or cruise at the edge of vision range. When being targeted, forget your turret location and wiggle away from your target and even cease fire to sneak away. There is plenty of time for situational awarenes ewen inbetween turret salvos and hawing a good understanding about game mechanics (in particular how vision works) should maintian you at 50% winrate if you take it seriously. And lastly (which nobody does sadly), don't hurry to T10. Get atleast a lvl 10 captain in T1-5 and move him up to T10. WG plays with your preception of power creep, and it isin't as obwious as gold shels in wot, but premium ships haw beter hard ond soft stats with the addition of being a captain training/credit earning platform. I even like the concep with some of  the flags; you increase your "chance" but you get an equally harmfull penaly to it to. I just hope WoWs greed will be in bearable bound's; not like where WoT is headed now.

What I so far did correct was to look at where the bows of my teammates are pointing. I think about which way to sail before the timer runs out, but this also depends a bit on where the DDs and the CVs are.

I try to make use of my concealment (thanks Flamu and others for that) and I have a basic understanding of how the vision mechanics work.

I don't know how to manually target planes though. Couldn't get it to work, even with those skills unlocked (I'm positive I messed something up there but I simply gave up on trying).

I don't intent to hurry to tier 10, I want to enjoy every ship I play! :Smile_great:

I do have previous experience with these kinds of games, where one has to grind to a certain target and if the benefits are worth it, so I grinded missouri first (got 4 or 5 tier 7 ships now, so I should be good) and will now grind my first 19pt captain using my Cleveland and Texas and now Missouri, so I can get the concealment skill on all my DDs as this has been significantly hampering my progression.

I have several 10pt captains already, thanks to campaign rewards mostly.

What did you mean with an equally harmfull penalty for using flags?

My winrate should be good :Smile_great:

Players
204 posts
329 battles

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/36029-list-of-mouse-and-keyboard-commands/

RELATIVE_GUNS_LOCK - [Left Ctrl] X - Locks guns on cursor location relative to your ship. Guns will not rotate after they have moved to this position.

and while repositioning

ABSOLUTE_GUNS_LOCK-  [Left Shift] X - Locks guns on cursor location relative to the map.  Guns will turn to keep lock.

[Ctrl][Left Mouse] - Sets priority target for secondaries and AA

You don't aim your AA yourself so thats an Odd feeling to haw someone to shoot for you. MFC skill only doubles the AA gun damage autput, so only good if you wan't something onther instead of defensive AA fire consumable on your CL.

CE is a prerequisite captain skill entering tier 5-6 (where the most premium ships are currently at). I see lvl ~14 captains in tier 1 allreaddy though lol

I haw been playing WoT and WoWP and always considered WoWs slow paced. Not much progress, just starting out.

Umm... Flags like India X-Ray:

• +1% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber above 160mm.
  • +0.5% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber below 160mm.
  • +5% to the risk of your ship's magazine detonating.

Juliet Whiskey Unaone

• +15% chance of causing flooding.

Other than that mostly buffs to BB's  with survivability. The other 2,5-5% powe-rcreep is bearable. The current BB meta has it's roots in the monetization policy after all. Would really like a penaty like slower turning speed or less enginne power etc.

Duno about T10 in wows in the long run, spend some money in WoT and regreted it afterwards (to many premium tanks get rolled out , to many limited edition creeps reintroduced and game balance going whack).

I really hoped for a low tier premium training ship for my captain this christmass, but oh well. A goldfish flag it is :)

• Cool 1

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

The opening phase is IMO the most difficult for BB's... And I don't have 1 straight "ever green" answer for that. I always try to position myself where I feel is the optimal balance between being a threat and the least possible risk. I don't want to find myself overextended and thus being focussed out to oblivion in no time and too far from the action where I can't do anything. Also patience is a virtue. BB's are the slowest ships in speed and reload. So you can take your time seeing how the match is developing. Let your DD's and CV's scout the situation and keep reacting to that. Don't shoot at the first target that's moving in the opening all the times: on long range you'll only be gambling with false dice and the reds know where you are. It also might draw very unwanted attention.

Your spawn location is also very important. Some maps have a ridiculous spread in the spawn. When spawning at the outside I am tempted to head to the middle. vv I steam up in the middle forward and pick a corner later.

Also turn your guns beforehand to your intended shooting direction.

Last but not least: yes you move the slowest but it isn't always necessary to go full speed. When on a optimal threat-risk spot it can be perfectly ok to lay still for a while and keep raining those shells towards them. Again: keep track of the development. A good spot now can be a death trap later. Minimap awareness I think is the most important for a BB. Also use your "detected" sign to your advantage. If you've strayed off too much and the sign flashes on, it means incoming torps until proven otherwise. So keep changing that speed and course. But now I'm straying off topic and start to talk about mid and end phase gameplay.

Players
204 posts
329 battles

So far the island layout dictates 70% how randoms will play out if no fleet teamplay is present. Imo BB haw the best playground with open areas with no islands just because DD's tend to hug them for a gateway route. Ask befroehand who has radar or sonar and keep track where they are headed, position yourself to utilyse the spotting. Objective based maps i would preffer BB's staying in cap for the whole battle if its not engulfed by islands from all sides. BB's got the most secondary turrets, use them. It really defeats the point of tankiness if BB's hug the edge of maps the whole battle. Selfish dmg pading only ends in enemy taking objectives while you start slowboating to them from the edge of the map when it's to late allready.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
944 posts
9,356 battles

In the opening phase of the battle.

1. In a DD. Its not all about capping, it about gaining an advantage. If you sail into the cap, the opposing team know where you are, and will if they can send aircraft or try to hunt you. Aggressive capping is great if you have cruiser support. I often will skirt around a cap, whilst their cruisers and battleships think there is no one there, as no one is capping, they let their guard down, and then WAM! torpedoes in their sides from somewhere they didn't expect. If the BBs are sailing nose in to our team, then they will panic and turn, showing broadsides to our team. Destroy the enemy cap at your leisure.

2. In a CA/CL  support your DDs, support your battleships, Attack enemy DDs opposing your own in contested caps. Screen your battleships from both air and torpedo attacks.

3. BB's ? support 1 & 2

• Cool 1

Players
3,032 posts
7,148 battles
On 30-12-2017 at 4:08 PM, nimlock said:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/36029-list-of-mouse-and-keyboard-commands/

RELATIVE_GUNS_LOCK - [Left Ctrl] X - Locks guns on cursor location relative to your ship. Guns will not rotate after they have moved to this position.

and while repositioning

ABSOLUTE_GUNS_LOCK-  [Left Shift] X - Locks guns on cursor location relative to the map.  Guns will turn to keep lock.

[Ctrl][Left Mouse] - Sets priority target for secondaries and AA

You don't aim your AA yourself so thats an Odd feeling to haw someone to shoot for you. MFC skill only doubles the AA gun damage autput, so only good if you wan't something onther instead of defensive AA fire consumable on your CL.

CE is a prerequisite captain skill entering tier 5-6 (where the most premium ships are currently at). I see lvl ~14 captains in tier 1 allreaddy though lol

I haw been playing WoT and WoWP and always considered WoWs slow paced. Not much progress, just starting out.

Umm... Flags like India X-Ray:

• +1% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber above 160mm.
  • +0.5% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber below 160mm.

Juliet Whiskey Unaone

• +15% chance of causing flooding.

Other than that mostly buffs to BB's  with survivability. The other 2,5-5% powe-rcreep is bearable. The current BB meta has it's roots in the monetization policy after all. Would really like a penaty like slower turning speed or less enginne power etc.

Duno about T10 in wows in the long run, spend some money in WoT and regreted it afterwards (to many premium tanks get rolled out , to many limited edition creeps reintroduced and game balance going whack).

I really hoped for a low tier premium training ship for my captain this christmass, but oh well. A goldfish flag it is :)

Hi. This has been very helpful :Smile_great:

I tested some of these settings in a test room (enabled that by changing something in some text file) and now I figured out how to target the secondaries so that little problem is solved :Smile_great:

Question: There's the Victor Lima signal which has a bonus for burning and for flooding. This signal does not have a disadvantage, correct?

I noticed how good CE is for a captain. Personally I noticed tier 6 is about the breaking point and at tier 7 it is a must for DDs, very useful for cruisers and for BBs. I did manage without that skill on all my tier 6 BBs though, same with cruisers tier 7 but it's always a challenge. I think it helps that not everyone else has CE at tiers 5 and 6, or at least I suspect so.

I'm currently working on some captains :cap_viking:

I've already spend some money in this game and not regretted it yet :Smile-_tongue:

Players
3,032 posts
7,148 battles
On 31-12-2017 at 4:12 PM, nimlock said:

So far the island layout dictates 70% how randoms will play out if no fleet teamplay is present. Imo BB haw the best playground with open areas with no islands just because DD's tend to hug them for a gateway route. Ask befroehand who has radar or sonar and keep track where they are headed, position yourself to utilyse the spotting. Objective based maps i would preffer BB's staying in cap for the whole battle if its not engulfed by islands from all sides. BB's got the most secondary turrets, use them. It really defeats the point of tankiness if BB's hug the edge of maps the whole battle. Selfish dmg pading only ends in enemy taking objectives while you start slowboating to them from the edge of the map when it's to late allready.

I think you're right about DDs wanting to hug island. Also in the hopes of ambushing, I know I would :Smile_hiding:

But I've seen many DDs in the open seas as well, flanking and such.

With BBs I now do tend to look out on escape routs now (usually an island) and I try to think of new things more or less continuously. I do tend to like to go where the cruisers will probably go but such a thing is hard to predict. Trying to prevent ambushes is also good, which is what being near islands myself is also useful for.

I agree that BBs being at the edge is not helping, but not really stating what does help makes saying "BBs shouldn't be at the edges of the maps all the time" equally useless :P

I don't like people who have high ratings and only play for themselves but on the other hand this cannot be prevented. Best is to show them better ways and let them try and find out for themselves. This worked for me when I uploaded a replay with me playing very bad. Thye very next battle I did everything right instead of wrong, only because people told me what I did wrong and what I did do right.

Players
3,032 posts
7,148 battles
On 31-12-2017 at 5:23 PM, Akula971 said:

In the opening phase of the battle.

1. In a DD. Its not all about capping, it about gaining an advantage. If you sail into the cap, the opposing team know where you are, and will if they can send aircraft or try to hunt you. Aggressive capping is great if you have cruiser support. I often will skirt around a cap, whilst their cruisers and battleships think there is no one there, as no one is capping, they let their guard down, and then WAM! torpedoes in their sides from somewhere they didn't expect. If the BBs are sailing nose in to our team, then they will panic and turn, showing broadsides to our team. Destroy the enemy cap at your leisure.

2. In a CA/CL  support your DDs, support your battleships, Attack enemy DDs opposing your own in contested caps. Screen your battleships from both air and torpedo attacks.

3. BB's ? support 1 & 2

Some good tips for DDs. But my problem is I think most to do with positioning and with timing (like reading the minimap) and also with not enough map knowledge.

Sometimes I end up in a bad position because I wasn't aware of certain things.

I don't know how to support my team in the very beginning. Best I can think of is doing some long range shots, but perhaps it's more useful to find a good position first before starting to shoot and then having to turn away for fear of getting citadeled myself.

Players
1,497 posts
3,907 battles
On 30/12/2017 at 3:08 PM, nimlock said:

and while repositioning

@NothingButTheRain

It's easier to just hold RMB. :Smile_Default:

Players
1,497 posts
3,907 battles
On 30/12/2017 at 2:19 PM, NothingButTheRain said:

How do I do this? I only know how to point to the side where I want my turrets aiming and then type. Can this be done completely hands free then?

Sorry for double-post.

You don't have to type, I make do with the F-keys.

If you don't know what each one does, holding 'B' will bring up a wheel with messages you can hover your mouse over to use.

Players
204 posts
329 battles
18 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I don't know how to support my team in the very beginning. 

Certain DD's got enough concealment and usually trade bad guns with better torpedoes thus they are better at initiating the frontal cruiser & bb aproach to objectives. The routine is always go to cap where most are headed, enter it if you want to trigger a reaction so that you can share some torpedo love and lay a smokescreen for your cruisers that can use your spoting when you retreat behind an island  for a next round in 20 seconds. Imo as a DD you haw to look for best oportunities to trade your smokescreen to benefit your team and only as a last resort for yourself. You got a speed boost and a small profile to bail any engagement you don't want to be part of anyway. The second category is a DD with better guns instead of torpedoes, which should rush to the farthest cap points and look for oportunities to flank and lit ships on fire for your team to spot them at shorter distances. Basicaly the forgotten job in history - a lamplighter. IMO DD's setting fires are more hated in comparison to torpedo spammers.

In general torpedoes are a meant o interrupt any stationary ships dispersion and turret rotation bonus while stationary and be a deterant to cross any island chain. So be proud being a troll:

they-see-me-rollin-20141-5406125e9923a.j

5 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

@NothingButTheRain

It's easier to just hold RMB. :Smile_Default:

Or CTRL+X. How people forget about the existence of the settings tab is beyond me.

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
On 12/29/2017 at 9:58 PM, NothingButTheRain said:

Don't head to map borders and especially some cap far from everything and behind islands. (like D in North)

And definitely don't just sit there for minute while "warming your fingers with your own exhaust".

Battleships accelerate slowly so if you wait first minute you're basically two minutes behind team when finally moving.

(in faster BB you can use 1/2 or 3/4 speed while observing what team mates are doing)

Especially in fast as garden slug USN BB you should instantly head toward area, where you can support either capping or flank defense/push as fast as possible.

Otherwise assuming similar skill level for other players enemy team has advantage in that area and for long time, because it will take long time from you to get to effective range.

Also you can heal 50% of most shell hit damage and fires 100% so try to draw some enemy fire away from team mates in more fragile ships.

The longer team mates survive the more you have chance of support and obviously enemy team has more targets to shoot at.

For route try to to look where islands and cover are, so that when shooting match starts you:

1. Have possible cover to take a breath, put down fires and regain hp.

2. Possible way to turn around while hiding side from enemy fire in case of needing to move to run away.

3. You can preferably stay angled at least against bigger enemy guns, instead of being forced to turn and show side because of for example island.

4. And you have guns turned so that rear guns can possibly fire some destroyer/cruiser rushing ahead battleships.

If spawning at flank of your team you could have midship/rear guns turned toward edge of map while you move in angle toward map's center area and closer to action.

18 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I think you're right about DDs wanting to hug island. Also in the hopes of ambushing, I know I would :Smile_hiding:

Without good spotting support "around the corner" and lots of enemies with unknown position I would be very careful about island hugging.

Because it might be you who gets surprised and instantly shot at by every enemy with guns remotely to that direction.

In open destroyer has spotting advantage over any ship, whose guns could do fast crippling damage to it.

Well, except Belfast which can basically radar you the moment you spot him and lay smoke to shoot you from while staying hidden.

Anyway if interested here's my first match in gun/torpedo boat hybrid Gremy after 1½ month pause in game.

Notice what I said about pre-turning guns to expected enemy direction.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckb1s9tcqxfhghv/20180102_175950_PRSD001-Gremyashchy-1942_20_NE_two_brothers.wowsreplay?dl=0

(89½k damage, 5 kills, 2k XP. OK Result)