Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aethanos

an idea!

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
49 posts
2,730 battles

Today i was relentlessly bombed and torpedoed by a midway...everything happened so fast. I was specialized in AA protection skills along with the manual one. I had a problem that i usually have and today this idea came to me. The problem was:

1 that in order to target airplanes who were to close i had to hit ctrl and pan the camera up so i can look at the sky and target those planes losing complete view of the sea and what was going on around me so complete denial of awareness for that second you pan the camera to the sky to manually target planes.

2 Most time while planes are really close to dropping the move extremely fast. Half the times i dont manage to target them cause i miss click on the "afterimage" of the planes. So if you are not on amphetamines or lots of cups of coffee you cant be fast enough to click on them, or at least the average player is not fast enough.

I was later playing an arcadey space fighter game and noticed that even when targets left my field of view the UI provided me with an icon at the edge of the screen close to the shortest route i would have to pan my camera in order to have the target in the center of my screen. I think the X series of spaceship games does that as well along with many other games.

If that was implemented in the game we wouldnt have to pan the camera up using ctrl and search for the airplanes that pass very fast over the ship. We would just click on the appropriate airplane icon (fighter , bomber , torpedo bomber) that would be displayed on the upper border of the screen moving towards the left or the right or staying in the middle depending on the direction and the heading of the aircraft squadron was and that would be it. No need to search the skies in the middle of a brawling and torpbeating situation.

Most will say that by the time that the airplanes are so close that you have to pan the camera up its already to late...but now that AP bombs are a thing i say that a last split second airplane kill (just one of the squadron) will make a difference. Of course theres also the revenge factor of killing the planes that just damaged you and also the situation of killing planes that fly over you in order to spare an ally the grief of dealing with them.

So in this way the icon of the aircraft will move along the upper border of your screen according to its direction and heading and you will simply ctrl click over there without the need to actually search the sky to find it and then click on it. I believe this is something that will make the game more balanced cause when 2 or 4 squadrons of airplanes are really close its a challenge to have awareness of what they doing and where they are without panning the camera around and searching the sky and at the same time you lose awareness of what is happening on the sea. It is unfair to expect from anyone to react in a situation that you angle against a shot + dodging torps + trying to kill those planes that come to bomb you. It should be simpler to target them without having to actually look at them directly cause in such a situation your perception/awareness gets overloaded. The AA stats of your ship and your captains skills are the ones the finally decide this.

Since there is the need to manually focus air targets or even manually target them in the case of the tier 4 captain skill we all know and love, it shouldnt be done at the expense of losing awareness of what is going on in front of you.

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Players
4,397 posts
6,249 battles
4 minutes ago, Aethanos said:

Since there is the need to manually focus air targets or even manually target them in the case of the tier 4 captain skill we all know and love, it shouldnt be done at the expense of losing awareness of what is going on in front of you.

Manual selecting a squad will give u 30% DPM bonus - even when u dont have the Cptn skill. But it will also prefer to shoot that target down, instead of the normal priority:

• Torpedo bombers (with payload)
  • Dive bombers (with payload)
  • Torpedo bombers (without payload)
  • Dive bombers (without payload)
  • Fighters

Beta Tester
49 posts
2,730 battles
5 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Manual selecting a squad will give u 30% DPM bonus - even when u dont have the Cptn skill. But it will also prefer to shoot that target down, instead of the normal priority:

• Torpedo bombers (with payload)
  • Dive bombers (with payload)
  • Torpedo bombers (without payload)
  • Dive bombers (without payload)
  • Fighters

Yes i understand that. But many times i dont have the time to go from squadron to squadron with the manual skill...so a 4 point skill is wasted about half the time and your AA aint firing.

What i propose is a simple (i assume) UI addition

[NWP]
Players
4,397 posts
6,249 battles
Just now, Aethanos said:

Yes i understand that. But many times i dont have the time to go from squadron to squadron with the manual skill...so a 4 point skill is wasted about half the time and your AA aint firing.

MFAA is not like Manual Secondaries. Your AA still works - but ofc it works better with the skill when u have large enough caliber :P

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
49 posts
2,730 battles
2 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

MFAA is not like Manual Secondaries. Your AA still works - but ofc it works better with the skill when u have large enough caliber :P

Omg it does? Guess i tunnel vision more often than i thought, or i click on them before the AA starts firing. Still you lose the extra benefit. The game isnt about searching the sky for planes. SO that task should be simplified ... imo

[RAGE]
Players
116 posts
2,320 battles

It's a nice idea. The problem is that you're relying on WG improving the UI, and any CV player, or someone who tries to sell or mount anything on their ship, will give you a good insight into WGs UI development.

In all seriousness though, it's nice and would be a good thing to implement.

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
49 posts
2,730 battles
4 hours ago, Streef_ said:

It's a nice idea. The problem is that you're relying on WG improving the UI, and any CV player, or someone who tries to sell or mount anything on their ship, will give you a good insight into WGs UI development.

In all seriousness though, it's nice and would be a good thing to implement.

Yes ... the port is terrifyingly lagging ...even though i got a monster pc and have the game on a ssd.

Thanks for seeing my point! The only thing that remains is finding a way to get this proposal to the devs...is there any place in these forums for suggestions?

[EST]
[EST]
Players
811 posts
18,827 battles
8 hours ago, Aethanos said:

...is there any place in these forums for suggestions?

Scroll up last page!!?!

[CRHEE]
[CRHEE]
Players
25 posts
5,949 battles

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't see the point of turning this game into an Arcade. 

I too have AA build ships, and I use them not only to protect myself, but to provide an AA canopy for the team. 

If you keep a close eye on the minimap, you can predict where planes are going when spotted, it is only normal to switch your focus to the incoming planes when still out of range, and they are easy to click on. Its called situational awareness....if the planes are too close to you to click on as you say, you might be tunnelvisioned on targets further away. When you spot planes coming towards you, and still between 12 and 8 km away, you should leave the surface target for what it is, and start reacting to the incoming danger by changing course.

Having no arcade indicators makes this game more fun, because it brings the excitement of searching for targets,

and you stay sharp against any possible surprise attack. 

• Boring 1

Beta Tester
49 posts
2,730 battles
4 hours ago, sidlicious said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't see the point of turning this game into an Arcade. 

I too have AA build ships, and I use them not only to protect myself, but to provide an AA canopy for the team. 

If you keep a close eye on the minimap, you can predict where planes are going when spotted, it is only normal to switch your focus to the incoming planes when still out of range, and they are easy to click on. Its called situational awareness....if the planes are too close to you to click on as you say, you might be tunnelvisioned on targets further away. When you spot planes coming towards you, and still between 12 and 8 km away, you should leave the surface target for what it is, and start reacting to the incoming danger by changing course.

Having no arcade indicators makes this game more fun, because it brings the excitement of searching for targets,

and you stay sharp against any possible surprise attack. 

You might need to change games and go play "atlantic fleet" or something like that. This game is arcade. Even the devs themselves have commented so on vids and Q&As , i thought we had made that clear since CBT , you new here? . If you think its simulates anything then we wont be able to have any common ground to talk about it. I'll tell you what though...if you dont like it im sure the devs will make it so you can click in the options , uncheck a choice so that you wont have to suffer it in your game. Problem solved...no bubble was burst. No reason for you or anyone else to get in the way of progress. Oh and do bother focusing better on reading cause im not talking about shooting the planes that are 8kms away. "Its called situational awareness"? dont like your tone there Mr AA Hotshot, you one of those ppl who think no one else knows how to play? "leave the surface target for what it is" seriously? this is what most of the game is all about!..."excitement of searching for targets" not everyone is a masochist , some ppl actually play games to relax after a day of work...we get more than enough "excitement" from reality thank you.

I would also like to add that in many cases when a plane squad goes over islands or mountains its a [edited] to figure out where they are even with the minimap.

[CRHEE]
[CRHEE]
Players
25 posts
5,949 battles

Wow.....did I wrong you in another life?

Whatever.....not going to put more energy into this....have a nice one..

[THROW]
Players
233 posts
11,126 battles

Personally don't see the need to simplify AA mechanics anymore as there is already very little too it, getting a DPS boost should come free so the loss of awareness for a split second seems like a fair trade to make.

Sign in to follow this