Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SovietFury43

Is it normal to get so many no damage critical hits with HE?

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,454 battles

Last match i am shooting at a Yamato with HE (Atago). I hit with the whole salvo, i get 3 AA guns knocked out and 0 damage. And it seems to happen all the time now.

I don't remember this happening before i stopped playing.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,506 posts
15,369 battles

Its been a Bug for a while.. Sometimes hits that were recorded as penetrating hits do no damage. Wargaming seem to be aware but have not managed to fix it yet

Players
2,160 posts

Yamato armour is pretty tough (depending where you aim of course) so shells tend to shatter when they hit. That being said HE shells have splash damage that can obliterate AA modules like AA and secondaries and set fires. Plus of course you're firing at a ship that's 2 tiers higher.

It's entirely likely that your shots shattered so no damage registered, especially if you hit the heavily armoured hull rather than the superstructure. That or if the Yamato was badly damaged already then the area could be damage saturated so there's no damage to be done to the place you hit unless he hits his heal consumable.

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,454 battles
9 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Yamato armour is pretty tough (depending where you aim of course) so shells tend to shatter when they hit. That being said HE shells have splash damage that can obliterate AA modules like AA and secondaries and set fires. Plus of course you're firing at a ship that's 2 tiers higher.

It's entirely likely that your shots shattered so no damage registered, especially if you hit the heavily armoured hull rather than the superstructure. That or if the Yamato was badly damaged already then the area could be damage saturated so there's no damage to be done to the place you hit unless he hits his heal consumable.

But if the shells shattered it would have registered, would it not?

Players
2,160 posts

If the OP has detailed ribbons turned on (I didn't until someone mentioned it to me after I'd been playing a month or so) and if the ribbons worked 100% which we know isn't the case, both are plausible explanations.

[CATS]
Players
15,931 posts
11,179 battles

If you hit modules and not the ship itself or the shell canot penetrate the armor there, the ship takes no damage.

That is the case since at least open beta.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
9 hours ago, SovietFury43 said:

Last match i am shooting at a Yamato with HE (Atago). I hit with the whole salvo, i get 3 AA guns knocked out and 0 damage. And it seems to happen all the time now.

I'm going to assume you hit the Yamato in her side midsection? Look at here in the port - it's covered in secondary and AA mounts (turrets). You hit them, you penetrate their armour, you knock them out - but those same as main battery turrets are 0 dmg zones for the ship itself.

MT9WjPD.jpg

9 hours ago, T0byJug said:

Its been a Bug for a while.. Sometimes hits that were recorded as penetrating hits do no damage. Wargaming seem to be aware but have not managed to fix it yet

Well, pens on main batteries, barbettes, secondary and AA turrets, torpedo bulges (but not deep enough to explode in the ship itself) - those all would show up as pens but do 0 dmg to the ship. Also damage depleted areas would return 0 dmg from pens.

Beta Tester
665 posts
5,454 battles
6 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I'm going to assume you hit the Yamato in her side midsection? Look at here in the port - it's covered in secondary and AA mounts (turrets). You hit them, you penetrate their armour, you knock them out - but those same as main battery turrets are 0 dmg zones for the ship itself.

MT9WjPD.jpg

Well, pens on main batteries, barbettes, secondary and AA turrets, torpedo bulges (but not deep enough to explode in the ship itself) - those all would show up as pens but do 0 dmg to the ship. Also damage depleted areas would return 0 dmg from pens.

Its not just the Yamato, i have noticed an unusual number of no damage critical hits on pretty much all ships (even DDs), and its not just on AA mounts either. I just gave the Yamato situation as an example.

On a side note; isn't it illogical that damaging/destroying AA mounts and main battery turrets doesn't count towards damage to the ship? After all, they are part of the ship. 

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
1 hour ago, SovietFury43 said:

Its not just the Yamato, i have noticed an unusual number of no damage critical hits on pretty much all ships (even DDs), and its not just on AA mounts either. I just gave the Yamato situation as an example.

On a side note; isn't it illogical that damaging/destroying AA mounts and main battery turrets doesn't count towards damage to the ship? After all, they are part of the ship. 

All kinds of turrets, barbettes, torpedo launchers, guns - even if you hit and destroy them, they don't get removed from the ship - you can keep hitting them again and again. If the ships "surface" is covered in them - like Yamatos superstructure with all those secondaries and AA guns or Atlanta with all those turrets and AA batteries - you'll have to hit the hull or lob the shell in between them do do some damage.

And yeah, it's probably the most illogical thing in this whole game.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles
21 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

And yeah, it's probably the most illogical thing in this whole game.

Agree with the whole post. Except this part. There are things way more illogical than that. Haha.

Players
905 posts
11,126 battles

I wouldn't say so necessarily; raking down the AA (and the people with it) has exactly zero impact on the ship's survivability / remaining buoyancy or surface combat capability. Purely personal (plus might be a veeery bad idea), but I'd rather see hits to fire control systems screw with dispersion etc. than wrecking deck installations to cause HP loss. :Smile_trollface: (Edit: Just to be clear, no, I don't actually want WG to screw with the dispersion)

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles
2 minutes ago, AkosJaccik said:

I wouldn't say so necessarily; raking down the AA (and the people with it) has exactly zero impact on the ship's survivability / remaining buoyancy or surface combat capability. Purely personal (plus might be a veeery bad idea), but I'd rather see hits to fire control systems screw with dispersion etc. than wrecking deck installations to cause HP loss.

I would support that. As a USN DD player I can just keep shooting everyone's fire control system 

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
1 hour ago, stewie533 said:

Agree with the whole post. Except this part. There are things way more illogical than that. Haha.

I meant as far as the game itself is concerned, players not included :cap_haloween:

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles
4 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I meant as far as the game itself is concerned, players not included :cap_haloween:

Me two. But I understand and agree with that point as well. ;p

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this