Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
tijmen10

2017 premiums

21 comments in this topic

Players
23 posts
1,863 battles

So I wondering, which premium ships did get released this year? I thought something like 26 right? And which ones do you think are the best and which ones the worse?

[H_FAN]
Players
1,861 posts
20,762 battles

It is difficult to not agree with the verdict that Giulio Cesare is the best Premium - OP as hell and very cheap. Enjoy it very much, are now in the process of producing my 4th 10 p Ita captain.

Some might say that T8 premiums yield more but in a new tech tree that you grow a number of captains from scratch and you don´t want to waste Elite XP until necessary, GC is well suited perhaps the most well suited ship to grow low end captains.

High end captains (at least 10 p can be grown on T8 ships or so but up to that point I prefer not higher than T6. GC also works uptiered.

Worst : GZ I have no opinion of but have naturally followed it, Ashitaka/Mutsu perhaps deserved, have not Ashitaka, bought Mutsu cheap at 30% off with Doubloons 50% off so I am not sleepless, but have only played a few games and do not feel the urge to play her.. DoY just underwhelming - only for the collector/name. If you have KGV with premium camo like I do it is most likely that I after the campaign only play DoY in heavy RN captain grinding. With Warspite, DoY, Nelson, Hood, belfast I have at least no shortage of RN trainers.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
194 posts
9,552 battles
4 hours ago, Allied_Winter said:

NoZoupForYou did a mediocre review of the Top 5 and the Worst 5

Mediocre at best. 

Kidd and giulio c. take the number one spot this year in my opinion. 

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,440 posts
7,788 battles

I'll say that Giulio Cesare and Kidd are probably the best premiums of the year.

The best balanced ones would be Mutsu, Harekaze, Duca d'AostaGallant, Hood and Kii.

Worst would be Ashitaka.

Then we have a bunch in between.

Good but not OP: Nelson, Vampire and Enterprise.

Weak but not trash: Duke of York, Makarov and Huanghe.

I can't place Kaga since she's borderline OP with good MM and absolute trash with bad MM.

• Cool 4

[SINT]
Players
269 posts
12,644 battles

We can do the old up and downvote thingy again were everyone can upvote +1 the ship he/she likes and downvote -3 the ship he/she dislikes. In the end ships get deleted for geting below 0 points. The thing we used to do in the forum before. But we need a list of the 26 premiums. 

[BEWBS]
[BEWBS]
Weekend Tester
736 posts
4,947 battles

It is good to have Cesare, bought it in EU server but got free one to NA server.

Hood is decent BB, but it aint easiest one. I have good time with Hood.

Huang he - what the joke ship... Hope to get it free, but don't waste your money for this ship.

Beta Tester
893 posts
8,685 battles

I've played two games in the Huang He tonight, or the Hang Me, as I prefer to call it. Its best to be at extreme range (which is not far), near an Island to hide behind, and not to be noticed. Start fires, send torps, run away

In one game I got a few fires and torp hits, then got reduced to 20% Hit points by a head on encounter with a Fuso, that I ram killed. Its AA is OK, but its not Cleveland like. Got the damn thing in a Santa box. What were war gaming thinking? or drinking?

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,260 posts
7,943 battles
7 minutes ago, Akula971 said:

Its AA is OK, but its not Cleveland like. 

Cleveland will soon(tm) be t8 anyway.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,861 posts
20,762 battles
7 hours ago, Akula971 said:

Huanghe is utter trash.

Yes for T6. At T5 she would have been tolerable maybe. When D-T is T4 material ....... prenerfed she was a monster, Huang He is stacked in the wrong tier that is why she is the worst premium , the prize would have been lower also. Got her in Santas crates, do not have played her yet.

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,832 posts
3,714 battles
8 hours ago, Nechrom said:

I'll say that Giulio Cesare and Kidd are probably the best premiums of the year.

The best balanced ones would be Mutsu, Harekaze, Duca d'AostaGallant, Hood and Kii.

Worst would be Ashitaka.

I can't place Kaga since she's borderline OP with good MM and absolute trash with bad MM.

Nelson seems ridiculously strong as well though.

I am still not sure where Oktober Revolution falls on the scale of power.
And I have never seen or faced off against Okhotniks so I can't really comment.
Alabama is quite decently balanced.
Oleg was released this year but nobody cares.
De Grasse outperforms her tech tree counterpart.

I think thats all the prems released this year, except for Graf Zeppelin but we don't talk about Graf Zeppelin.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,440 posts
7,788 battles
7 minutes ago, Verdius said:

Nelson seems ridiculously strong as well though.

In some situations. She's good versus anything firing HE and lower tier BBs that don't just derp through her bow.

Pretty awful against heavy AP shells, DDs (torpedoes) and CVs.

10 minutes ago, Verdius said:

It's one of those balanced ships that ends up pretty boring as a result, nothing really interesting about it, especially when Giulio Cesare released at almost the same time and was better at pretty much everything.

13 minutes ago, Verdius said:

And I have never seen or faced off against Okhotniks so I can't really comment.

Fun and pretty well balanced ship. Say what you will about the design, but she's a unique DD without being OP.

14 minutes ago, Verdius said:

Alabama is quite decently balanced.

I didn't even realize that the Alabama was from 2017.

Compared to her closest tech tree cousin she's perfectly balanced. Now that might actually push her into the above average category due to how good the NC already is.

Personally she's probably my favorite of the lot, maybe even out of every premium ship.

19 minutes ago, Verdius said:

De Grasse outperforms her tech tree counterpart.

Perfect example of the opposite, where being better than her tech tree counterpart isn't enough to make her a good ship.

It might just be personal preference but I didn't find the De Grasse to be a strong ship at all. It's a big unarmored CL without smoke at tier 6. The guns aren't anything special (unlike the RU CLs) and she doesn't have anything else going for her imo.

• Cool 1

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
3,901 posts
16,255 battles
3 hours ago, Verdius said:

Slow ship with slow turrets and slow shells... 3 times slow... only worth getting it for free in the campaign.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,784 battles

New premiums in 2017 - for me:-

Kaga - not yet driven

Enterprise - not yet driven

Graff Zep - returned without being played

Guilio C - enjoyable and effective

Duca - fun

Kidd - fun and effective

Oktober - ho hum. it's ok, but not sure yet.

Nelson - I like her

Hood - fun (especially effective when CV's try to dive bomb you! :) )

Gallant - enjoyable

De Grasse - I like but not put enough time into French cruisers to have really tried to play her.

HSF Harekaze - nice ship

HSF Graff Spee - certainly different and very satisfying at times also.

Vampire - only driven once, but that was fun and effective

Smith - fun but challenging (edit - mixed up the silver for the gold ship name)

Alabama - not gotten my head around her yet (do not show her [edited], it's made of paper!)

(I did catch up on a few others, but they are not new to 2017).

Quality Poster
2,947 posts
7,933 battles
22 minutes ago, philjd said:

New premiums in 2017 - for me:-

Sampson - fun but challenging

Do you mean Smith? Sampson is the T2 silver DD.

Greetings

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,789 posts
6,431 battles
13 hours ago, Nechrom said:

Worst would be Ashitaka.

I mostly agree with this.

However I would put Nelson in the "Best balanced one".

It's kind of similar to Kii in its own way : strong good point, big weaknesses. That makes it balanced.

Nelson tank HE spamming very well, but hate high caliber guns and CVs planes. Nelson is agile but slow. The guns are great and pack a punch both in AP and in HE. But the AA and the secondaries are horrible. 

For each strong point, Nelson has a "but". That makes it very balanced in the end, though a good player will makes it shine by playing it on its strenghts.

Kii is more or less the same. Tanky but only when angled. Fast but not very agile. Strong guns but sometimes a bit derpy (I don't even see the difference between Kii and Amagi however), very strong AA with the 100mm but useless secondaries. Average concealment.

In term of "fun" I'd like to mention the Harekaze for the best premium of the year. It requires a good captain but it works really well as both a gunboat and a torpedoboat, and I love those 100mm. It's a balanced DD.

Gallant is more in the "Good but not OP list" however. It's essentially a Shinonome with the single-torp gimmick added on top. Very strong tier 6.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,440 posts
7,788 battles
14 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Gallant is more in the "Good but not OP list" however. It's essentially a Shinonome with the single-torp gimmick added on top. Very strong tier 6.

The thing which holds the Gallant back is the gun arcs which puts the USN 127mm guns to shame.

Combined with a bit limiting torpedo margin (shared by the Shinonome) and long torpedo reload, it can be tricky to work with. Definitely a good general purpose DD, but there are better picks for either role.

Fubuki works better as a torpedo boat, Farragut is a better gunboat and Anshan/Gnevny/Fu Shun are comparable in the general purpose category but with a bit more gun focus and less torpedo focus.

Players
23 posts
1,863 battles

Thanks for the video, although I am still wondering which 26 ships got released. Does anybody have a list?

Sign in to follow this