You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mucker

It's time to farm some free XP for the Mighty Mo!

21 comments in this topic

Players
842 posts
8,386 battles

With the recent announcement of the Missouri removal , this may be the last chance to really farm free xp like crazy, since WG nicely gave us a +200% daily bonus and probably handed out a lot of premium time as well. 

Here is a little tutorial on how to maximize free XP gains for the least effort terms of grind time. Ofc this comes also handy for Nelson and the upcoming Musashi. 

1. Which ships should I pick?

Generally, the higher the tier, the better. T8-10 is the place to be since these tiers earn more XP relative to other tiers, but only as long as you have not exhausted the daily bonus. Once you did, it's better to pick a lower tier ship that can still earn the bonus. 

2. How to stack the multipliers?

The most important multipliers are those that increase your XP earned, since free XP is based on XP earned, not base XP. So to get the most out of your precious Quoboros flag, raise the XP earned as much as possible first.

- Camo

The best result is granted by the Type 59 Camo for +200% XP earned, but since it costs real money it may be not the most sensible choice.

The 2nd best is any camo that grants +100% XP earned and +50% free XP earned.

The 3rd best is any camo that grants + 75%  XP earned and +75% free XP earned.

Trivia: There are a ton of camos that grant + 100% XP earned. These are indeed better that the infamous +200 free XP christmas camo from last year. In fact, even a modest +50% XP camo will almost earn as much as the christmas camo in terms of free XP. 

Beware: Stay away from camos that only grant increased captain XP earnings, these do not boost free XP at all!

- Signals 

The more you can mount, the merrier, so no preferences here. Maybe save Quoboros for those ships you perform best in, if they are in short supply.

3. How much can I earn then?

Well as long as the daily 200% bonus can be farmed:

At high modest 1000 base xp victory will yield around 4300 free XP, or 6400 free XP with premium account 

At high tiers, a good 1500 base xp victory will yield around 6400 free XP, or 9600 free XP with premium account

At high tiers, a very good 2000 base xp victory will yield around 8600 free XP, or 12800 free XP with premium account

At high tiers, an excellent 2500 base xp victory will yield around 10700 free XP, or 16000 free XP with premium account

Happy farming! 

• Cool 5

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,242 posts
7,932 battles

Easiest method in my book: Operations - with all available multipliers, a good match will earn 10k+ fxp. A very bad is worth 5k.

In operations I'm able to slap on all the xp flags and don't have to care that much about sacrificing stuff like heal flags etc.

Also one might want to make use of the current db2fxp discount.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,590 battles
17 minutes ago, Mucker said:

2. How to stack the multipliers?

The most important multipliers are those that increase your XP earned, since free XP is based on XP earned, not base XP. So to get the most out of your precious Quoboros flag, raise the XP earned as much as possible first.

- Camo

The best result is granted by the Type 59 Camo for +200% XP earned, but since it costs real money it may be not the most sensible choice.

The 2nd best is any camo that grants +100% XP earned and +50% free XP earned.

The 3rd best is any camo that grants + 75%  XP earned and +75% free XP earned.

Your camo rating is wrong for people who really stack bonuses. The flags that improve freeXP give so big bonuses that pure +100% XP camo is overall a bit better than +75/75 XP/freeXP. Yes, IF you get the x3 first win, then you get slightly more freeXP out of that with 75/75. However, even if you save signals for first victories, some matches will be lost - and without the first victory bonus, the +100% XP stacks with signals (that are used up even on the defeat, after all) better than the hybrid. So, if you aim for freeXP farming rather than for highest possible freeXP gain from a single battle, I'd wholeheartedly recommend sticking to camos that give +100% XP or more (assuming that you fly all the possible freeXP signals, of course).

[RNG4]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

Correct me if I am wrong but from a mathematical standpoint there shouldn't be a difference between taking a +200% exp camo and a +200% free exp camo if you only look at the free exp gained.

Example:

I earn 500 base exp in a battle which results in 25 free exp.

If I take a +200% exp camo I get 1500 exp which results in 75 free exp.

If I take a +200% free exp camo I get 500 exp but still 75 free exp. Same for the flags.

So unless I have to grind that ship anyway, why should I use a +200% exp camo, especially on premium ships or tier X ships where exp is more or less a waste, if the +200% free exp camo results in the same amount of free exp?

Note: Only if you look at the resulting exp. I know there might be other reasons like the camo bonuses.

Weekend Tester
605 posts
26 minutes ago, Tungstonid said:
Spoiler

Correct me if I am wrong but from a mathematical standpoint there shouldn't be a difference between taking a +200% exp camo and a +200% free exp camo if you only look at the free exp gained.

Example:

If I take a +200% free exp camo I get 500 exp but still 75 free exp. Same for the flags.

So unless I have to grind that ship anyway, why should I use a +200% exp camo, especially on premium ships or tier X ships where exp is more or less a waste, if the +200% free exp camo results in the same amount of free exp?

Note: Only if you look at the resulting exp. I know there might be other reasons like the camo bonuses.

Other free xp multupliers would stack on 75xp not 25xp.

PapaPapa for example. You want max XP multiplier and then all the free xp you can put on top of that.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,590 battles
1 hour ago, Tungstonid said:

Example:

There is a difference. Basically, there are three steps at which relevant bonuses "happen". They are:

0. Base XP is given

1. Premium time bonuses are applied

2. XP and captain XP bonuses are applied

3. Free XP bonuses are applied

Bonuses that are applied in the same step are simply added. So, if you have a +100% XP and +50% XP AND +100% captain XP, you'll get +150 XP and +250 captain XP (because bonuses to XP implicitly apply to captain XP as "ship bonuses" in the detailed breakdown. Bonuses that happen on DIFFERENT steps are applied to values already modified by previous steps (in fact there's an implied multiplication in there so the actual order of steps doesn't matter - just the fact that they are different steps).

So (as most people know) if you have a premium account, the signals and other bonuses are applied to the XP modified by premium rather than to the real base XP. HOWEVER what not everyone realizes is that free XP bonuses are also a separate step. So while your example is correct, things get a bit more interesting if you have BOTH XP and free XP bonuses.

Imagine the scenario you describe, but it's a first win of the day (+200% XP)

Option 1. (camo +200% XP):

- you earn 500 base XP

- you have +400% XP (first win + camo) bonus, giving you 2500 XP and 125 Free XP

Option 2. (camo +200% free XP):

- you earn 500 base XP

- you have +200% XP (first win only) bonus, giving you 1500 XP and 75 Free XP

- you have +200% free XP that applies to the free XP after XP bonuses had already been calculated, giving you 225 Free XP

This is why XP bonuses and stacking bonuses are so important for freeXP farming. Unlike with captain XP, the more XP bonuses you apply, the more valuable the free XP bonuses become. This is also why it's better to get the same +x% bonus to XP rather than free XP: free XP bonuses are usually bigger. Increasing them further benefits you less than increasing the base by a similar amount. If, for example, you have around +900% free XP and +400% XP before applying the camo (values picked for easy calculation only, no combination of signals produces them), it means that you get X*5*10 = X*50 free XP (where X is the amount of XP gained without any bonuses). If you add a camo bonus of +100% to XP, you get X*6*10 = X*60 free XP. If you had a +100% freeXP bonus instead, you only receive X*5*11 = X*55 free XP.

So, to sum this up nicely:

free XP is calculated based on this formula (premium_modifier is 100% for standard account and 150% for premium account):

BaseXP * 5% * premium_modifier * (100% + XPbonuses) * (100% + freeXPbonuses)

And since freeXP bonuses are usually bigger than XPbonuses, it pays more to increase the lower of the multiplied values (XPbonuses, that is).

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
182 posts
5,191 battles

Some interesting info here, thanks guys. I hadn't appreciated the interaction between xp and free xp bonuses before.

EDIT: It also nicely explains why I just got more free xp for the game I did badly in but was grinding a stock ship with xp multiplier camo than the one where I did well but was just stacking purely free xp boosters.

Players
15 posts
4,275 battles

Yeah some good info, thanks.

Now a question to which I probably know the answer.  What do you think my chances would be of getting the required XP based on :-  I'm only an average at best player, I currently have just over 300k free xp, my highest tier is 7 and I only have a few?

Beta Tester
182 posts
5,191 battles
15 minutes ago, Tricky_201 said:

Now a question to which I probably know the answer.  What do you think my chances would be of getting the required XP based on :-  I'm only an average at best player, I currently have just over 300k free xp, my highest tier is 7 and I only have a few?

Well, anything is technically possible with enough games but to be honest I can't see someone with highest tier 7 and presumably limited camo and flag options grinding 450k free xp in 2 months without digging into their pockets to convert a fair chunk.

But the best way to answer your own question is to keep a track of your average free xp gain for wins and losses and then work out how many games it will take approximately based on your overall win rate. Then work out if that's a practical number of games to play in a 2 month period. Or even just how much free xp you get in a normal session would be helpful. My advice though is don't stress yourself out too much trying to nolife it, games are supposed to be fun :)

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,590 battles
9 minutes ago, Tricky_201 said:

Well, I'm sorry to say, but it doesn't look good. Of course it all depends on how much you play and how much various goodies you have stocked up, but seeing how you didn't get above t7 - it's unlikely for you to have a stash that could save you here from a truly hellish grind. We were not given a precise deadline. They said "two months" so let's assume that we realistically have about 45 days of playing before Missouri disappears. You lack 450k free XP. This means that you need 10k free XP per day. Without a HUGE stash of signals, you're basically facing an equivalent of a full-time job.

Basically, unless you pland to spend the next two months doing almost nothing but playing WoWs, you'd probably need to spend money instead. Either to convert XP (if you have some to convert) or buy premium time and lots of signals (at least one biggest signal bundle) to change insane grind into "just" a heavy one. Frankly, I don't think it's really worth it, but... whatever you choose - after all, it's your life and your money :fish_aqua:

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,871 posts
11,295 battles
2 hours ago, Tricky_201 said:

As others have said you may want to boost yourself with the FXP conversion rate before the promotion ends... Don't go crazy but a bit of help there might be needed.

Players
15 posts
4,275 battles

Thanks for the replies, thought as much.  Played a few games tonight and got around 20k but as you pointed out, I don't have the amount of flags and camo to keep it up.  I'll keep plugging away and see what happens, not going to push it though

Cheers

[JUNK]
Players
849 posts
9,320 battles

I have earned 200k free exp in the past 2 days with this method, crazy amount of free exp. I'm slowly running out of Ouroboros flags though, and that seems like the biggest bonus? Is there any specific way I can get more of these?

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,871 posts
11,295 battles
8 minutes ago, Gunship14 said:

I have earned 200k free exp in the past 2 days with this method, crazy amount of free exp. I'm slowly running out of Ouroboros flags though, and that seems like the biggest bonus? Is there any specific way I can get more of these?

You'll get a handful with PT rewards. Only consistent way of getting them...

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,242 posts
7,932 battles
2 hours ago, Negativvv said:

You'll get a handful with PT rewards. Only consistent way of getting them...

And the only reason I play on PTR :Smile_trollface:

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,571 posts
6,642 battles
2 hours ago, Gunship14 said:

2 hours ago, Negativvv said:

NVM

Players
154 posts
2,330 battles

weird, even with high base exp 1500-2000 and all flags equipped + premium ship camo (50% more exp) or even the 100% more exp camo i barely get 2k free exp in randoms with the first win bonus :(

edit: just a quick operation:

shot-17.12.28_15.54.2o6ohs.jpg

Weekend Tester
605 posts
4 hours ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

weird, even with high base exp 1500-2000 and all flags equipped + premium ship camo (50% more exp) or even the 100% more exp camo i barely get 2k free exp in randoms with the first win bonus :(

You are lacking a lot of flags...

Observe a 1.5k xp base 1st win

shot-17_12.28_12_55.35-0915.thumb.jpg.580c47672017ef85a9931e0ed0963bc2.jpgStackAllTheFlags.jpg.c3315b5be7f803126c3407645e1f53a5.jpg