Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
McCracken666

IFHE on Chapayev or not ?

25 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
516 posts
11,090 battles

So i just rebought the chapayev for ranked

IFHE has been changed since i had it.

I understand it pens better with the skill but makes -3 or is it -8 fire chance, but is it still worth taking or not ?

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,800 posts
6,436 battles

Obligatory skill for any 152/155/180mm.

• Cool 4

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,566 posts
9,106 battles

You can check out the skill's tooltip by yourself, it's still -3% chance for all HE superior to 139mm in caliber.

On the Chapayev in ranked? Yeah it'll help you with Amagi, cruisers and parts of other BBs, but it won't be a wunderwaffe like it is against T7 BBs.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,203 posts
6,672 battles

yes but if its your commander you are gonna take to teir 10 Moskva I would say no unless you want to spend gold to reset

Beta Tester
516 posts
11,090 battles

yeah i saw that, the -3 in game, just got confused from some other tread saying it woul be -8%.

I took the skill, will see how it works out, thx guys.

[BOTS]
Players
1,646 posts
11,787 battles

Worth mentioning because I see many people doing it wrong:

Your HE shells will be able to pen the bow and stern plating of most BBs. This means you have to actively shoot there as well. Being able to pen 32mm of armor but still aim for 350mm of belt armor will do no good. So you might want to force yourself to aim lower in general. You are perfectly able to pen superstructure but the well armored turrets might get in your way.

[CATS]
Players
13,649 posts
10,385 battles
10 minutes ago, beercrazy said:

yes but if its your commander you are gonna take to teir 10 Moskva I would say no unless you want to spend gold to reset

That is what the free resets are for..

Beta Tester
516 posts
11,090 battles
15 minutes ago, beercrazy said:

Thx, but i got plenty of elite XP, first time i saw the elite xp, i had 45 million of it lol

Players
2,878 posts
5,156 battles
35 minutes ago, McCracken666 said:

but is it still worth taking or not ?

IFHE is an absolute must.

28 minutes ago, beercrazy said:

You want IFHE on Donskoi aswell. Thus its not an option leaving IFHE behind. My solution was: I basicly had 3 RU captains going up the tree. After switching from T7 Shorchs to T8 Chapa switched captains. T7 Captain reseted, waited for Moskva, T8 & T9 can use same same captain. And Shorchs to the trash. =)

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,558 posts
6,385 battles

To pen BBs 25mm armour at tiers 6 and 7 you need 153mm guns to do it without IFHE

To pen BBs 32mm armour at tiers 8+ you need 195mm guns to do it without IFHE

Seeing how Chapaev has 152mm which fails in both categories I'd guess it's a must have

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
516 posts
11,090 battles

Thanks guys

Put IFHE and demo expert on the Chapa and it works just great, plenty of firechance left.

Getting better results than with the Z23, wich just felt underperforming with all the pay boat DD's around (lo yang etc)

Started out with good win streaks and 75% win rate with chapa, now at rank 6, win rate fell just short of 65%. Premiere league in shight :Smile_izmena:

[SM0KE]
Players
1,556 posts
5,035 battles
On 12/27/2017 at 11:05 AM, ShinGetsu said:

Obligatory skill for any 152/155/180mm.

Newbie question: besides British cruisers (I assume - no HE round), are there any ships where this *isn't* the case?

[UTW]
7,800 posts
6,436 battles
17 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Newbie question: besides British cruisers (I assume - no HE round), are there any ships where this *isn't* the case?

Nürnberg (and I think Königsberg too) can ignore IFHE, because all german cruisers get a 1/4 caliber rule for the HE penetration instead of 1/6.

That's the only exception I can think of. Any other light cruisers (except British as you said) with guns ranging from 150 to 180mm benefits a LOT from IFHE. The few fire chance you lose is largely outweighted by the raw damage your HE does.

Also there's Henri IV that goes over 50mm HE penetration with IFHE, which is also interesting though with less benefits than all those gun going over 32mm.

• Cool 1

Players
390 posts
8,551 battles
On 12/27/2017 at 5:01 PM, McCracken666 said:

So i just rebought the chapayev for ranked

IFHE has been changed since i had it.

I understand it pens better with the skill but makes -3 or is it -8 fire chance, but is it still worth taking or not ?

OH YES!

[SINT]
Players
269 posts
12,668 battles
On 12/27/2017 at 9:55 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

To pen BBs 25mm armour at tiers 6 and 7 you need 153mm guns to do it without IFHE

To pen BBs 32mm armour at tiers 8+ you need 195mm guns to do it without IFHE

Seeing how Chapaev has 152mm which fails in both categories I'd guess it's a must have

Completely agree with your Chapa advice...Now only you got me worried concerning taking IFHE on my 155 Mogami since its capable of penetrating 25mm without IFHE.. (not for ranked since you only meet tier 8 BB's but for randoms) Are all 15X mm guns the same or are the 150, 152 or 155 to be treated different?

Sorry for derailing the post but it just popped up :)

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,558 posts
6,385 battles
15 minutes ago, Jvd2000 said:

Completely agree with your Chapa advice...Now only you got me worried concerning taking IFHE on my 155 Mogami since its capable of penetrating 25mm without IFHE.. (not for ranked since you only meet tier 8 BB's but for randoms) Are all 15X mm guns the same or are the 150, 152 or 155 to be treated different?

Mogami is a tier 8, so I'd expect 9 out of 10 games to be in tier 10 matches, which means that all BBs you'd meet would have that 32mm armour scheme for which you still need IFHE.

And as for when you meet lower tier ships - doesn't hurt to have that little bit extra, it helps you to go through some armour zones that you normally wouldn't like the Nelsons mid-sections 32mm plating.

I mean, I'm not much of a cruiser player myself, all I can tell you about them is raw statistics and conclusions drawn from that, but from my limited experience of Cleveland and Gallisionere I definitely felt like both of those would have performed better if I had IFHE on them.

Players
961 posts
4,863 battles

Well, finally got the captain points for it a couple of days ago. It is brutal. 5k salvos on broadside bbs, wrecking module after module. You won't set as many fires (can be mitigated through demo expert), but my god does it feel dirty. 

[UTW]
7,800 posts
6,436 battles
11 hours ago, Jvd2000 said:

Mogami needs it.

I mean, Mogami is already near unplayable even with IFHE thanks to the horrible gun range. You have to play as dirty as possible, using islands, ambushing, catching DDs at close range... because Mogami can and will get deleted by any BB looking funny at it. It's a hard ship to play. Atlanta is actually easier.

So you need IFHE to get those sweet 9-10k salvoes on them. At least you'll also be a threat for them.

And don't mount the 203mm on Mogami... 

[BGNAV]
Players
741 posts
13,827 battles

@OP IFHE is a must to period

even u can use it on Moskva so u can penetrate  all those US BBs midship deck and sides depends on the current meta :Smile_trollface:

OFC U USE AP AGAINST BROADSIDE TARGETS

2 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

Mogami needs it.

I mean, Mogami is already near unplayable even with IFHE thanks to the horrible gun range. You have to play as dirty as possible, using islands, ambushing, catching DDs at close range... because Mogami can and will get deleted by any BB looking funny at it. It's a hard ship to play. Atlanta is actually easier.

So you need IFHE to get those sweet 9-10k salvoes on them. At least you'll also be a threat for them.

And don't mount the 203mm on Mogami... 

wut

just (24.12.2017) got Mogami on my alt account

Yeah Mogami is really unplayable......

Spoiler

last7days.thumb.png.615f8af63c21c1637867ee5a7a567153.png

unfortunately  last few battles of the grind in my Myoko was very bad as dmg output

[UTW]
7,800 posts
6,436 battles

I didn't say Mogami was unplayable. I said "near".

It just need a skilled player, and a careful playstyle.

Also IFHE on Moskva is a waste of 4 points. Wasting fire chance and 4 points only to penetrate 3 ships isn't worth it at all. Especially with those AP.

[BGNAV]
Players
741 posts
13,827 battles

@ShinGetsu excuse me obviously i understand wrong that sentence " I mean, Mogami is already near unplayable even with IFHE thanks to the horrible gun range. "  my English is not very good

Mogami gun range is good enough you play her out in the open keeping distance so u dont have to wait 20 seconds to disengage meanwhile you are at perfect range to land most of the shell over ur victim

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,803 battles
23 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Try this - well worth it.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this