Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Shaka_D

Personal challenges on missions page

5 comments in this topic

[BOTS]
Alpha Tester
2,205 posts
8,645 battles

Need help for fear of going mad. Earlier this evening I was in port and looked at the missions / events page and I noticed a 'personal challenge'. I was surprised because I had basically done all missions for the day. It read something like, get in top two of team and play a ranked battle. The reward was a container.

I set up my Kutuzov excited by the prospect of doing this, and then went and took a shower and had something to eat. I came back, pressed battle into a ranked battle and after a long fight came tops in my team. Fulfilling all the requirements.

Back in port there was no reward, no mention of having acheived anything, no container. I looked in the missions page again to see if I missed a requirement and there was nothing, no trace of anything. Now I am doubting ever having seen this, but why would I have gone to all the prep beforehand if I had not read this.

Am I mad? Has anyone seen something like this before?

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,404 posts

Rank 1 - Play with a tier 10 ship - be among the top 2 in XP in your team

The challange is up for six or seven hours a day. (don't know exactly as I don't care about reaching rank 1)

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
50 minutes ago, Shaka_D said:

Need help for fear of going mad. Earlier this evening I was in port and looked at the missions / events page and I noticed a 'personal challenge'. I was surprised because I had basically done all missions for the day. It read something like, get in top two of team and play a ranked battle. The reward was a container.

I set up my Kutuzov excited by the prospect of doing this, and then went and took a shower and had something to eat. I came back, pressed battle into a ranked battle and after a long fight came tops in my team. Fulfilling all the requirements.

Back in port there was no reward, no mention of having acheived anything, no container. I looked in the missions page again to see if I missed a requirement and there was nothing, no trace of anything. Now I am doubting ever having seen this, but why would I have gone to all the prep beforehand if I had not read this.

Am I mad? Has anyone seen something like this before?

As Egoleter said, but let me add a short explanation: This is the joke called Superleague. People who get to Rank 1 can then play Ranked that doesn't give or take away stars. The are Rank 1 until the end of the season, but they can play with t10 ships (this season it's t10, at least) against other R1 players - and while it's possible to enter queue at any hour, it's meant to be focused into special hours at special days. When the thing first appeared, it was actually rewarded - each participant got a container. But people used this opportunity to farm containers - they were playing quick, violent matches (sometimes in agreed upon fun-formats like "let's all play DDs") and some even actually were just trying to abuse the system by logging in and going AFK. The WG didn't like the fact that they ended up giving away containers, so they introduced a "temporary" measure: they took away most rewards. But instead of taking away rewards from the losers (to make sure that winning became important) or from people under some XP threshold (to make sure that people played actively) OR instead of making some system where last 2 places in each team were not rewarded... WG just decided to only reward 2 top players of each team.

Not surprisingly, the superleague died, nobody bothered to play it anymore, especially. For some time there were no matches at all (I literally could wait for half the Superleague window and not get a match) some started happening again near the end of the Season (latecomers wanted to at least try the thing out) - but the thing never become popular, partially because the gameplay turned out extremely cancerous. The normal match rewards (XP and credits) were irrelevant for most participants and so the victory carried no additional value - what mattered was being better than 5 other teammates, regardless of how successful the team was. Almost nobody bothered setting smokes for allies, nobody tried to tank spotting and actually helping each other out only happened by mistake - because it wasn't a fight against the enemy team but a race against your own. This was boring, frustrating, left bad taste in peoples' mouths, because even if someone actually did try to play normally (some did), he felt (rightfully so) like the sucker that willingly lets people take advantage of him. And, obviously, even with 1-2 people in a team playing for the victory, the other 5-6 people remained uninterested in winning, so the gameplay was still extremely bad.

After this resounding success, the "temporary" quick-fix measure against "abuse" of the rewards not only persisted until the end of the season then, but is going to return this season - only this time we have it coupled with t10 Superleague. Everybody is going to enjoy it so much, when playing with ships that not everyone has and that are much more expensive to maintain. The queue will certainly be full from the time first 14 people reach R1 all the way to the last day of the season. Undoubtedly.

[BOTS]
Alpha Tester
2,205 posts
8,645 battles

Confirmed then, I'm an imbecile. I knew this superleague mission existed but for some really non-beer induced reason I thought this was something totally different, not sure with whose eyes I looked at it and completely overlooked its relevance to the superleague.  Sorry to have wasted your time.

Sign in to follow this