LazyInsight

How useful the Last Stand is on Zao class?

14 comments in this topic

Players
136 posts
3,209 battles

Just bought a Zao and planning to retrain captain for the ship. Not sure however how important Last Stand is on it. Can some Zao users tell how often this ship losses steering gears to HE spam?

My playstyle with IJN is to trail close behind a DD using superb concealment, then alpha strike enemy DD at least once, and withdraw by angling / maneuvering. This leads to a lot of HE return fire landing on stern of your ship, which may knock out steering.

Played this way with Myoko, Mogami, Takao and Ibuki. I observed that Mogami and Ibuki rarely lose steering, on the other hand Takao (and Myoko) suffer a lot. I lose steering at least once in about 30% of my Takao matches. So is Zao more like Takao or more like an Ibuki?

[NED]
Players
4,021 posts
10,888 battles

I only used last stand on the French cruisers. Because it got ruddered with nearly every hit. Even hits on the nose.... I can't remember having been ruddered/ engined in the IJN cruisers at all. Surely it must have happened but very rarely. I'd advise Adrenaline rush much more.

Beta Tester
893 posts
8,685 battles

I use my IJN DD captain on my Yubari, as the rudder and engine always gets knocked out. On my other IJN cruisers? Nope.

[MUMMY]
[MUMMY]
Players
24 posts
6,427 battles

I usually use last stand on all my cruisers just because HE spam and if u get your steering or engine knocked out u wont have to repair it and than suffer fire damage (even if they reduced the on fire time) more so if u are brawling.

Some may say there is better use for those 2 points but thats how i roll 

I Think depends on your prefences 

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,695 posts
13,130 battles

Don't see why you would want to use LS on any cruiser, really.

Players
1,709 posts
9,658 battles
33 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Well for the French CAs at least every other shot seem to damage your rudder or engine but apart from them I would say the other CAs don't really need LS.

[IRQ]
Players
2,683 posts
6,353 battles

I don't use Last Stand on my IJN CAs. I do use the upgrade that lowers the risk of rudder damage, though. That's usually enough to make it livable, without also wasting a skill on it.

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
1,146 posts
5,899 battles

Well, I remember that Flamu often says, that rudder is breaking on cruiser, when I watch videos of IJN cruisers. And always, when he said that, I tryed to remember, when my rudder is broken. That is somehow rare, really rare. And if it breaking, I just repair it. Never had really rudder issues, wouldn't take it. Take Adrenalin rush and Turret treverse

Players
136 posts
3,209 battles

Thanks for answers, decided not to choose last stand on Zao and so far after a couple of battles it seems to be the right decision. Got he spammed a lot but steering did not get knocked out.

[H_FAN]
Players
1,861 posts
20,778 battles
On 2017-12-27 at 5:15 PM, El2aZeR said:

In low tier cruisers I use them on all. A few of the mid/higher tiers. The HE spam from RN BBs makes the need even greater

[TENGO]
Players
1,457 posts
8,205 battles
On 27-12-2017 at 5:15 PM, El2aZeR said:

You're only at Friant.

Come and reply your own question when further in that tree ;-)

Players
122 posts
7,179 battles

Many cruisers rely on being somewhat agile, avoiding damage altogether by dodging it or at least limiting Impacts to a minimum. And while engine/rudder damage is rare there's nothing more show-stopping than getting your rudder locked or your engine blown out when you really need to get out of harms way. With Last Stand you retain most of your maneuverability even after suffering such damage. One less worry to have when under fire. And you guys know RNG.... hits you when you least want it.

Now, some may say these points really can be spent better.... and they are right, for their playstyle, for their experience. Me? I'd like to play it safe on this, so all my destroyers and cruisers run Last Stand.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,695 posts
13,130 battles
13 hours ago, PzychoPanzer said:

....so basically never then as I've stopped my grind pretty much as soon as I began. :Smile_trollface:

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,832 posts
3,714 battles
15 hours ago, PzychoPanzer said:

You're only at Friant.

I've had no real issues without LS on (french) cruisers so far and I highly doubt that will change.
I'd rather put the points into something that is always usefull than something that is so situational on a cruiser where you can't spare/use a repair party to fix a broken engine/rudder.