You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Reaper171

Monty AP still doing full damage to DDs?

43 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,440 posts
7,788 battles

They are looking to rework the entire way AP damage is calculated to try and get this sorted. That's why it's taking a while.

I appreciate that they aren't just making extra mechanics for hitting DDs specifically, which would be the fast and dirty fix.

[I401]
Beta Tester
843 posts
7,463 battles

Yep. Thts why i dont play my second favourite ship anymore.

But the time of the Khaba will come again!

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,379 battles

Yeah, if you are giving a thick enough target for the AP not to overpen it. Broadside DDs (maybe except Khaba bcuz of her 50mm, altho she's still probably too thin for non-RN AP to score a normal pen on her broadside) will always be just overpened, when you angle those shells can explode inside you (that's what she said). If you put yourself in a position where he can reliably hit you with multiple shells, or even worse, with all of his turrets - that's your misplay not a problem with the game. You are stealthy and quick enough to choose your engagements where you get seen, and there are far too few situations / places where you wouldn't have any other choice for it to be a reasonable statistic to consider.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,590 posts
7,066 battles

Yesterday I bloppd a DD at 15km for 13.5k dmg. He wasnt happy.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,695 posts
13,130 battles

It's not just USN AP, either (though they do have the highest chances due to their high shell arcs).

Pretty much any BB shell that hits the deck or below the waterline will result in penetration damage. Or if you've angled your belt trying to dodge.

[SCRUB]
Players
676 posts
7,178 battles

Thats why i hated playing my gearing near during clan battles. Oh you got spotted? Mr. GK will delete half your HP WITH ITS FRONT TURRETS. But thats not all... He'll delete the rest with his rear turrets as soon as he turns even though youre not spotted anymore. :)

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,864 posts
2,152 battles
10 hours ago, Reaper171 said:

Is this still a thing?

As others have mentioned, this is indeed still a thing.

Battleship AP damage to DD's is something we are very keen to address, but it is not an easy task. To be able to do this properly, the penetration mechanics need a significant rework as any change has the potential to affect and break many aspects of the game.

So soon™ is the best I can do.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,159 posts
9,946 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Yeah, if you are giving a thick enough target for the AP not to overpen it. Broadside DDs (maybe except Khaba bcuz of her 50mm, altho she's still probably too thin for non-RN AP to score a normal pen on her broadside) will always be just overpened, when you angle those shells can explode inside you (that's what she said). If you put yourself in a position where he can reliably hit you with multiple shells, or even worse, with all of his turrets - that's your misplay not a problem with the game. You are stealthy and quick enough to choose your engagements where you get seen, and there are far too few situations / places where you wouldn't have any other choice for it to be a reasonable statistic to consider.

Luckily there's only 1 BB per team in each battle :Smile_Default:

• Funny 4

[SCRUB]
Players
676 posts
7,178 battles
4 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Battleship AP damage to DD's is something we are very keen to address, but it is not an easy task. To be able to do this properly, the penetration mechanics need a significant rework as any change has the potential to affect and break many aspects of the game.

At least you guys acknowledge the problem and you are working on it. :)

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,695 posts
13,130 battles
12 minutes ago, DJ_Die said:

At least you guys acknowledge the problem and you are working on it. :)

Just like how they're addressing BB overpopulation.

Or CVs.

• Funny 3

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,864 posts
2,152 battles
29 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Or CVs.

BB over population is always a tricky topic, but CV's are being worked on intensely as we speak! ;)

Players
603 posts
7,296 battles
32 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Well I recomend fixing the bug, what sometimes doubles or even triples penetration. And then try it out for couple of patches.Before fiddeling with penetration damage. Why? Because just removing or reducing "normal" penetration damage for DDs is a major screw-over for cruiser players. It will make DDs way more resilient than cruisers.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,335 posts
12,570 battles
3 minutes ago, mariouus said:

Well I recomend fixing the bug, what sometimes doubles or even triples penetration. And then try it out for couple of patches.Before fiddeling with penetration damage. Why? Because just removing or reducing "normal" penetration damage for DDs is a major screw-over for cruiser players. It will make DDs way more resilient than cruisers.

He said that they are fixing it. Its just soon™. I think it should be a priority yes. 

11 minutes ago, MrConway said:

BB over population is always a tricky topic, but CV's are being worked on intensely as we speak! ;)

Limit max 4 BB's on each team. There you go. Fixed it for you :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,663 posts
12,833 battles
54 minutes ago, MrConway said:

BB over population is always a tricky topic

The solution would be soooooo easy...

1. restrict BBs to a mx of 3 per battle
  2. to keep waiting times for BBs low, insert new battle mode for BBs only. Where they can shoot at each other 20 minutes long from the map edges
  3. ???
  4. winrar!

• Funny 2

[SCRUB]
Players
676 posts
7,178 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Or CVs.

True but hey at least the stupid AS loadouts are gone from US CVs. Thats something, right? :)

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,379 battles
3 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

shot-17_12.26_13_34.21-0146.jpg.eacb47fad12d348f19f318076f9e7bb9.jpg

Super overpens is still a thing aswell

Gun with 11'440-ish alpha? 1 overpen and 1 pen, game "forgot" to give you the pen ribbon. Nothing new and / or unexpected

3 hours ago, Migulaitor said:

Ranked game today, NC, devastating strike on a Kagero with 3 shells at 15km, something like 9-10k dmg.

Lucky shots happen against anyone from anyone. 3 shells grouped up against a lengthwise Kagero, but that an exception rather than the rule.

2 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

BB AP in general yes. 

So you angled your thin armour against him against him making it thick enough to arm the fuses and he hit you, obviously overmatch happened and you expect that to do no dmg? Broadside these would have been just overpens doing around 4.5 ... 5k dmg

2 hours ago, lup3s said:

Luckily there's only 1 BB per team in each battle :Smile_Default:

There rarely is more than 1 BB per game both teams combined, as the other 9 are nothing more than fortifications on the maps border behind their spawn

Also keep in mid the "reliably hit multiple shells part". At that so often mentioned 15km distance that hit on the DD is a lucky exception where you are completely ignoring those 9+ times that shot missed with 0 hits scored. You can reliably score hits at close distances, basically starting around DDs detection range of 6...7km. Ok, lets say from 8km. At that distance the BB is long since visible and you can pick your engagements, unless you are charging more ships than just that 1 BB. Missouri with her radar would be a bit of an exception here as she can spot you for herself at those ranges, but that's just 1 out of however many BBs we have.

Of course, I'm kind of speaking out of my a** about this one, as my only reliable experience lately would be KamikazeR, Akatsuki and Gnevny but apart from a random lucky hit in between all those misses I really don't see the problem in those 3.

1 hour ago, MortenTardo said:

Limit max 4 BB's on each team. There you go. Fixed it for you

And same for DDs. Games with 5 DDs per side are cancerous instead of fun, same as 5 BBs per side.

51 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

to keep waiting times for BBs low

Want to play X class when it has a longer queue time? Be prepared to sit in the queue.

I'll use Leagues Draftpick system as an example. The game is always short of supports, and has an absolute overflow of midlaners. Result - if you play support your queue times are basically nonexistant, while if you want to play mid - be prepared to sit in the queue for a few min...

16 minutes ago, DJ_Die said:

AS loadouts are gone from US CVs. Thats something, right? :)

IJN CVs still have their AS loadouts, and I've lately noticed and increase of IJN CVs played with that configuration. Potatoes will keep running them till ALL CVs have them removed, but Saipan, of course, will get to keep his as a premium CV anyway.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,335 posts
12,570 battles
4 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Gun with 11'440-ish alpha? 1 overpen and 1 pen, game "forgot" to give you the pen ribbon. Nothing new and / or unexpected

So you were angled against him and he hit you, you expect that to do no dmg? Broadside these would have been just overpens doing around 4.5 ... 5k dmg

There rarely is more than 1 BB per game both teams combined, as the other 9 are nothing more than fortifications on the maps border behind their spawn

Also keep in mid the "reliably hit multiple shells part". At that so often mentioned 15km distance that hit on the DD is a lucky exception where you are completely ignoring those 9+ times that shot missed with 0 hits scored. You can reliably score hits at close distances, basically starting around DDs detection range of 6...7km. Ok, lets say from 8km. At that distance the BB is long since visible and you can pick your engagements, unless you are charging more ships than just that 1 BB. Missouri with her radar would be a bit of an exception here as she can spot you for herself at those ranges, but that's just 1 out of however many BBs we have.

And same for DDs. Games with 5 DDs per side are cancerous instead of fun, same as 5 BBs per side.

Yep. Noone said it was new. Its still a bug. 

Showing broadside is not always be better. On some ships yes, on others it does not matter. Best thing you can do is try to make yourself a small of a target you can and hope RNG is on your side. 

It is a known issue for wargaming so why do you make it sound like its working as intended? 

5 DDs pr side is MUCH better then 5 BBs imo.  Most of them die within 5 minutes anyways. See no issue there. 

Beta Tester
3,663 posts
12,833 battles
12 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I'll use Leagues Draftpick system as an example.

sorry, I'm oldschool... I don't know nothing about League of L... whatever.. Can You maybe explain it in WoW terms? I mean the other WoW... the one with Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs etc...

I can only guess You mean it's a bit like those WoW Random Instances, where a bunch of people is queueing to get into one of those "dungeons" as a group... Warriors/Paladins (Tanks) and Priests (Healer) get instant groups, and all the DDs - no, not ships... Damage Dealers, like Rogue, Hunter, Mage, Warlock etc... - have to wait a bit longer in the queue..