Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Giorgio_marksman

CV Balance

8 comments in this topic

[R7S]
Players
8 posts
2,140 battles

Okay, i'm only up to the independence but I have a friend that has the Ranger and because we usually play together I know how it is to play USA CV's. It's terrible, and it's terrible not because the ship (or the planes) is terrible but because you play against the Japanese (in most matches). After the update where they removed fighter load out from US CV's the Japanese just shred them to bits. Let me just make a list of all things the Japanese can do better than the Americans:

-They have better torpedoes mounted on their planes

-They have more squadrons (so more planes in the air at the same time)

-They can have fighter load out and still have 1-2 squadrons of torpedo/dive bombers 

Things Americans do better:

-They have better Dive Bombers

I'm not even going to say that most have better fighters than the Japanese because even if the fighters were 2 times stronger than the Japanese if you surround them with 3 squadrons of enemy aircraft your fighters don't stand a chance. I think Wargaming should at least give an extra fighter squadron to low-mid tier US CV's just to make things more balanced, anybody agree?

[NWP]
Players
880 posts
8,142 battles

All your pros and cons are correct.

Japanese CVs are straight up better, (with few exceptions like Saipan and Lexington).

I suggest you start the IJN line, they already made some changes to US CVs by unifying the decks (no AS or Strike anymore) so dont expect new ones anytime soon.

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,025 posts
13,625 battles
1 hour ago, Giorgio_marksman said:

Okay, i'm only up to the independence but I have a friend that has the Ranger and because we usually play together I know how it is to play USA CV's. It's terrible, and it's terrible not because the ship (or the planes) is terrible but because you play against the Japanese (in most matches).

This again. Quite frankly, American carriers are better than they have ever been since the Midway and Essex nerf.

After the update where they removed fighter load out from US CV's the Japanese just shred them to bits.

The fighter loadout is a terrible idea and serves only to cripple American carriers. The removal of AS from the American CVs is just about the best thing that could be done for every carrier in the game. The fact that they get ripped to pieces by IJN squads is also false. A frontal strafe against a USN squad by an IJN one will result in 2-3 plane losses whereas a frontal strafe from a USN squad on an IJN squad will result in a complete wipe. American squads also have more ammunition and therefore better stamina in carrier air duels.

They have better torpedoes mounted on their planes

Objectively false. IJN torpedoes do 8567 damage per pop whereas American torpedoes do 9867. The only advantage the IJN torpedoes have is a speed advantage of 1 knot. ONE. F*CKING. KNOT.

They have more squadrons (so more planes in the air at the same time)

Again, false. It might be true for the Independence, but let's take a look at the carriers with Air Supremacy.

Langley 20 planes VS Hosho 13 planes

Bogue 20 planes VS Zuiho 18 planes

Ranger 22 planes VS Hiryuu 28 planes

Lexington 22 planes VS Shokaku 28 planes

Essex 34 planes VS Taiho 32 planes

Midway 40 planes VS Hakuryuu 37 planes

So 4/7 American carriers (or the MAJORITY for the mathematically challenged) fields more planes than their Japanese counterparts. Come on, fact check a little. It's not hard.

They can have fighter load out and still have 1-2 squadrons of torpedo/dive bombers 

And their fighter load-outs, with an exception of possibly the Taiho and Hakuryuu, are simply worse than the strike deck. Having a fighter deck IS NOT a point in favor of a carrier.

They have better Dive Bombers

And better torpedo bombers, as previously established. They also have better fighters on a squad by squad basis that is nearly guaranteed to wipe a strike even with a near-miss strafe that would net an IJN carrier maybe 1-3 plane kills per squad.

I'm not even going to say that most have better fighters than the Japanese because even if the fighters were 2 times stronger than the Japanese if you surround them with 3 squadrons of enemy aircraft your fighters don't stand a chance. I think Wargaming should at least give an extra fighter squadron to low-mid tier US CV's just to make things more balanced, anybody agree?

That sounds like a terrible idea. AS decks should just be purged from the game and confiscated from the Saipan too now that I think about it.

53 minutes ago, tank276 said:

All your pros and cons are correct.

No they're not. Some points are subjective, but most are objectively false.

53 minutes ago, tank276 said:

Japanese CVs are straight up better, (with few exceptions like Saipan and Lexington).

WHAT?

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,562 posts
6,392 battles

Is this another one crying about removal of AS setups on US CVs?

Anyway, if you have a problem - go and play some IJN CVs, just don't come back crying how US fighters always shred your squishier planes in your smaller squadrons.

Also do you know of Alt-attacks? Tier 6+ CVs can do manual attacks when you hold Alt, a lot of not-so-skilled CV player problems at tiers 6 and 7 seem to come from the fact that they haven't even heard of manual drops & strafes, while their enemy has.

As for "planes in the air" => in air (in air with AS cpt skill)

Langley 1-1-1 => 18 (20)

Hosho 1-2-0 => 12 (13)

Bogue 1-1-1 => 18 (20)

Zuiho 1-1-2 / 1-2-1 => 16 (19) / 16 (18)

Independence 1-1-1 => 18 (20)

Ryujo 1-2-2 / 3-1-1 => 20 (23) / 20 (24)

Ranger 1-1-2 => 24 (27)

Hiryu 2-2-2 / 3-1-2 => 24 (28) / 24 (29)

Should I keep going? The number of planes in the air is always similar, apparently except for tier 4 where US has literally 50% more planes in the air at the same time

47 minutes ago, tank276 said:

Saipan - definitely, but Lexington? What? Did I miss something?

Beta Tester
715 posts
10,378 battles

When they removed 2/2/2 from Midway because it was OP, they made two lines that were different - US was AS focsed while as IJN were strike. US were underperforming because they lost the punch and were ment to be played differently. They had superior planes, that even under a strafe from IJN did not drop like flies because there were more planes in a group and damage was spread evenly, unlike the other way around where IJN planes dropped like flies. Everyone yelled AS is useless... What now? They gave US their punch back and made 2 lines similar again, where up to tier 9 US fall a bit behind, but clearly do everithing better on TX now, and people ask this - wheres my AS on US? I know not all complained, but wasnt this what made the change, the constant whines? Deal with it, the crybabies make the game better because WG listens to them more than any other.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,704 posts
13,143 battles
2 hours ago, Giorgio_marksman said:

I'm not even going to say that most have better fighters than the Japanese because even if the fighters were 2 times stronger than the Japanese if you surround them with 3 squadrons of enemy aircraft your fighters don't stand a chance.

What serious IJN CV in random play has three fighters?

By removing USN AS WG is forcing you to be useful for your team. Be glad about it.

Personally I don't have particularly big problems playing Lexington against other CVs. It's not enjoyable, but it can be done.

[NWP]
Players
880 posts
8,142 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Saipan - definitely, but Lexington? What? Did I miss something?

* Enterprise, my bad.

• Funny 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,562 posts
6,392 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

What serious IJN CV in random play has three fighters?

Serious? None. But as we don't have US AS anymore potatoes have to emigrate over to IJN line :Smile_trollface:

Sign in to follow this