You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Strefs

WGFest 2017 - What has WG planned for WoWs in 2018

63 comments in this topic

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
292 posts
5,128 battles

Hi guys,

As you might know, WGFest opened yesterday in Moscow. Wargaming spoke, among other things, about the some of the roadmap ahead in 2018 for World of Warships.

The presentation started of with a recap, we're going to skip that, since let's be honest, you guys have been here, and know what's in the game right now.

They also presented some statistics from clan battles on the CIS server, which also has limited relevancy for us, and talked about the top 3 clans in Typhoon league.

Now, what's new?

Event Arcs

Wargaming wants to implement something called event arcs. What that basically is, is a period of time where the whole theme of the game is based around a certain nation, and/or ship line (most likely with each new release). This includes, but is not limited to, a special commander for said nation and ship class, and a special, nation themed port. The first line to have this implemented is going to be the new French BB line.

This sounds like an awesome idea. Not only will you be able to pick up a new special commander for the new lines, but you'll also be able to receive a new port. This means content, content, content! I know special commanders have been a much requested feature, and the added bonuses will surely bring joy to a lot of players. (what do you guys think?)

New USN Cruiser Split

This isn't news per-se, but WG touched on the new cruiser split happening in 2018 for the US cruisers. To those that missed it:

Cruiser Split

If this goes like the IJN/RU split, I definitely recommend keeping your Cleveland in port. Wargaming states there will be a lot of bonuses for those that have the Baltimore too (wink, wink, nudge, nudge!).

Worcester

Worcester looking definitely like a Minotaur, only time will tell what exactly the play style is, but think RNCL, but maybe with HE? We'll see.

Clans Are Getting Some Love

Seems like Wargaming likes the way the Clan mechanics are develloping. Clan wars was an overall success. You can expect to see more clan oriented game modes and rewards for this high tier gameplay! We're also going to see new upgrades for the naval bases. Seems like it's the prime time to join a clan. If you haven't and are thinking about doing so, these are some news that might be of relevancy to you. As for all people that are in a clan already, awesome stuff!

Some More PvE Stuff

Similarly to clan wars, PvE seems to have been a great success. To comemmorate this, Wargaming has been busy making new, more challenging PvE missions. If you haven't played these CooP missions yet, I thoroughly recommend them. They're a lot of fun. A lot more relaxing than randoms too, and you can earn some sweet medals and consumables while doing so.

It's nice to see that the less competitive people get attention too. Stark contrast, huh? PvE and Clan wars.

More, uh, In Game Cash?

I have some mixed feelings about this. Wargaming wants to add new currencies that you can spend in the game. I do hope it won't be another premium currency. Though if you have played tanks, or maybe World of Warplanes (it's actually pretty good, honest!), you'll have seen things like tokens, and such. In WoT you can buy some extra bonus effects for installed modules or consumables with a special kind of currency (I honestly don't know what it's called though). You can earn it by playing Tier 10 and/or the new ranked game mode (Also tier 10). In WoWp you can collect token via daily missions to unlock the new bomber class.

Wargaming said that we'll be able to spend this special currency on camo, flags, etc. That I am sure many will welcome.

Blasting around in a Tier 10 ship to gain some credits to blast on some Sierra Mikes doesn't sound bad, right?

Furthermore you'll be able to revisit some of the old events, maybe pick up that Kamikaze R that you didn't manage to get because of work. Not bad, though I think it's a shame since that'll make those ships just a little bit less special.

Our Calls Have Been Heard!

I know WG is actively trying to make the game as frustration-free and fun as possible. Though at times it may not seem like this, the following news will be pretty big for a lot of. Wargaming admitted it. Detonations can't stay the way they are right now. While I don't know what they have planned, and I highly doubt that it will be completely removed from the game, they are clearly aware of it and are trying to find a way to, make it less, you know. Annoying, infuriatin-

ANYWAY

They're also continuing work on CVs since that's an eternal problem still, and want to improve the matchmaker, so you don't end up in tier 9 all the time, while playing your Belfast, you sealclubbing monstr-

Some Nice Little Tid-Bits

We'll be seeing player emblems making it into the game. Those of you that played LoL (and I am sure a lot of other games have it too), will know what I am talking about. You'll have the choice of selecting an emblem ingame to complement your name, and ranked season rank. You cannot upload your own image (god forbid the amount of monitoring that would require) and WG says that you will have a big enough choice, but we'll see.

There's also a new port camera, which will make looking at your boats more...cinematic...? Accessible...? We'll see!

Spoiler

Emblems

Finally we'll see a new free premium ship, the cruiser Varyag. There was a big emphasis on this ship. While it's history is surely important, it was a bit more of fan-service for the Soviet side of the world. Free ships are awesome though. Go Varyag!

Varyag

that's V A R YA G, not a fancy form of a Russian swearword!

As always, discussions welcome. What do you think of these changes and upcoming features? 

Strefs out!

• Cool 11

292 posts
5,128 battles

Do the images load for you guys? they don't seem to work for me.

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,255 posts
7,938 battles
21 minutes ago, Strefs said:

Do the images load for you guys? they don't seem to work for me.

Forum's messed up today, just use the <insert link> function ;)

24 minutes ago, Strefs said:

If this goes like the IJN/RU split, I definitely recommend keeping your Cleveland in port. Wargaming states there will be a lot of bonuses for those that have the Baltimore too (wink, wink, nudge, nudge!).

Both boxes ticked - Cleveland is my second most played ship and I guess this will ease the grind to Seattle a bit :fish_cute_2:

https://www2.pic-upload.de/img/34525041/shot-17.12.24_01.06.35-0404.jpg 

292 posts
5,128 battles
3 minutes ago, aboomination said:

Forum's messed up today, just use the <insert link> function ;)

Precautions have been met. URL and link. 

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,255 posts
7,938 battles

Tbh, I like all of these announcements apart from new currencies - I don't like the bonds-system in WoT, well the upgrades the bonds can be exchanged for. Too substantial in my book.

Maybe I'll even join a clan in the future :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
256 posts
8,326 battles

I can't wait for Varyag, been wanting her for ages, should be a good tier 3, nice looking one aswell.

Hope they give us Rudnev as a legendary commander to go with her!

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,832 posts
3,714 battles
53 minutes ago, Strefs said:

More, uh, In Game Cash?

I have some mixed feelings about this. Wargaming wants to add new currencies that you can spend in the game. I do hope it won't be another premium currency. Though if you have played tanks, or maybe World of Warplanes (it's actually pretty good, honest!), you'll have seen things like tokens, and such. In WoT you can buy some extra bonus effects for installed modules or consumables with a special kind of currency (I honestly don't know what it's called though). You can earn it by playing Tier 10 and/or the new ranked game mode (Also tier 10). In WoWp you can collect token via daily missions to unlock the new bomber class.

Wargaming said that we'll be able to spend this special currency on camo, flags, etc. That I am sure many will welcome.

If it is just to buy flags and camo's ingame I don't have an issue with it. If it severely impacts gameplay by giving in game bonuses I can see this going wrong.

53 minutes ago, Strefs said:

Finally we'll see a new free premium ship, the cruiser Varyag. There was a big emphasis on this ship. While it's history is surely important, it was a bit more of fan-service for the Soviet side of the world. Free ships are awesome though. Go Varyag!

that's V A R YA G, not a fancy form of a Russian swearword!

I assume they are talking about the 1899 one and not the 1983 one.
Having the first and only free XP premium being a low tier sealclubber is a bit meh when the free XP BBs are all high tiers. Oh well.

The special commanders are a bit of a double edged sword. If they are time gated then it is kind of crappy that a thing that provides a significant bonus over players without them would only be available to players who logged in at an arbitrary time. If it is through permanent campaigns (i.e. Yamamoto) then it is a bit

better. I just hope that these bonuses will not be too over the top either as Yamamoto is already borderline imho.

So not even a hint on whether the Italians are getting a tech tree this year? After all these premiums I was kind of getting excited.

292 posts
5,128 battles
19 minutes ago, Verdius said:

So not even a hint on whether the Italians are getting a tech tree this year? After all these premiums I was kind of getting excited.

Not at WG fest anyway, perhaps for Gamescom...? ;) 

[CN_]
Sailing Hamster, WoWs Wiki Team
1,621 posts
2,621 battles

No words on the new graphics engine that is going to replace BigWorld in World of Tanks?  :'(

292 posts
5,128 battles
33 minutes ago, Hateshinaku said:

No words on the new graphics engine that is going to replace BigWorld in World of Tanks?  :'(

I'd have to check,  since I focused on theWoWs side mainly. Surely WoT' s press conference featured it  though 

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,682 posts
13,121 battles

Nothing about the CV rework?

I am disappoint.

Seriously, how long is WG going to let this fester? Or are they still padding themselves on the back for switching the USN loadouts up a bit?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

292 posts
5,128 battles
11 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Nothing about the CV rework

Well, they want to change it, and mentioned it, haven't gone into any detail, sames goes for detonations 

[CN_]
Sailing Hamster, WoWs Wiki Team
1,621 posts
2,621 battles
35 minutes ago, Strefs said:

I'd have to check,  since I focused on theWoWs side mainly. Surely WoT' s press conference featured it  though 

no need to, I actually meant it in a different way. 

I was wondering if they talked about World of Warships and a possible implementation of the new engine, but seems like they don't have such plans.

292 posts
5,128 battles
6 minutes ago, Hateshinaku said:

no need to, I actually meant it in a different way. 

I was wondering if they talked about World of Warships and a possible implementation of the new engine, but seems like they don't have such plans.

Oh well, yeah, I knew kind of where this was headed, but it hasn't even been implemented in WoT, no? 

[BWOLF]
[BWOLF]
Players
115 posts
5,604 battles
3 hours ago, Strefs said:

Clans Are Getting Some Love

Seems like Wargaming likes the way the Clan mechanics are develloping. Clan wars was an overall success. You can expect to see more clan oriented game modes and rewards for this high tier gameplay! We're also going to see new upgrades for the naval bases. Seems like it's the prime time to join a clan. If you haven't and are thinking about doing so, these are some news that might be of relevancy to you. As for all people that are in a clan already, awesome stuff!

Yey! :fish_cute_2:

3 hours ago, Strefs said:

More, uh, In Game Cash?

Blasting around in a Tier 10 ship to gain some credits to blast on some Sierra Mikes doesn't sound bad, right?

Furthermore you'll be able to revisit some of the old events, maybe pick up that Kamikaze R that you didn't manage to get because of work. Not bad, though I think it's a shame since that'll make those ships just a little bit less special.

Sounds good, but I have a bad feeling about this.

292 posts
5,128 battles
12 hours ago, Schumy90 said:

Sounds good, but I have a bad feeling about this.

Do you consider the way bonds are implemented in World of Tanks good, or bad? 

[BWOLF]
[BWOLF]
Players
115 posts
5,604 battles
On 12/24/2017 at 5:33 PM, Strefs said:

Do you consider the way bonds are implemented in World of Tanks good, or bad? 

Haven't played WoT in over 2 years. Sometimes I log in just for a few lulz games but no more. So I'm not in a good position to answer your question.

However i still got friends that play WoT (that i didn't manage to corrupt towards WoWs) and when i asked them regarding bonds i got mixed answers regarding them. Some said they were good helping you to buy boosters for a few hours and helping you rise up tiers, while the other half said that noobs (not to be confused with newbies) managed via them (and credit card) to rise up to high tiers even faster ruining high tier games. At least that's what I was told... haven't done any research by my own to confirm this.

[POI--]
Players
3,181 posts
4,314 battles
23 hours ago, Strefs said:

More, uh, In Game Cash?

Certainly nice to have a way of getting those detonation flags without, you know... detonating.

Even with detonations getting reworked, being able to get flags for things like reduced flooding or reduced fire duration without having to get Unsinkable or Fireproof is helpful. Because while it is not too hard to get something like secondary kills for secondary flags or even dreadnought for improved hp regeneration flags reliably enough to sustain their consumption, trying to farm Unsinkable/Fireproof achievements is either up to good or bad fortune (getting put on fire often enough and surviving) or intentional terrible use of damage control.

Players
877 posts
11,126 battles

"More in-game currency" - If it will be like what I know about the bond-system in WoT, then let's just say I'm not a huge fan. Extra-extra equipment sort of sounds good, because who doesn't like tinkering with their ships, but if this currency will be relatively hard to get / require competitive modes, then while it will not affect me whatsoever, it might slap somewhat the competitive scene in the face, equity to be exact. It's a hard problem, as good players should have the right to earn something cool, different, but if that "different" is easily "better", then the chasm will become even bigger as people will get the tools easier who don't need them in the first place.

Ultimately, it will leave the top "spamming gold", and the rest with not a lot of chance to catch up.

292 posts
5,128 battles

I'll chat with some of the WoT contributors in regards to the bond system. Maybe they can chip in regarding their experiences:

3 hours ago, Schumy90 said:

Haven't played WoT in over 2 years. Sometimes I log in just for a few lulz games but no more. So I'm not in a good position to answer your question.

1 hour ago, AkosJaccik said:

good players should have the right to earn something cool, different, but if that "different" is easily "better", then the chasm will become even bigger as people will get the tools easier who don't need them in the first place.

• Cool 2

[BWOLF]
[BWOLF]
Players
115 posts
5,604 battles
5 minutes ago, Strefs said:

I'll chat with some of the WoT contributors in regards to the bond system. Maybe they can chip in regarding their experiences:

Please do! And keep us informed as well!

• Cool 1

[BWOLF]
[BWOLF]
Players
115 posts
5,604 battles
17 hours ago, Strefs said:

I managed to do a little research regarding the bonds in WoT and i think i found out one or two things. First thing's first, please disregard the bul[edited]it i said earlier as it was just a load of crap.

From what i now know, bonds in WoT can be used to buy certain upgrades that are similar to our ship modules. Only that they are a bit more efficient, example: instead of -10% loading time, you get -12% loading time. Just like our special upgrade modules that now can only be obtained via supercontainers! Also a special upgrade in WoT can be bought for around 2000-3000 bonds (or smth around that sum). How do you obtain bonds you ask? There were tier X matches that gave you as a reward 3-5 bonds. Also now you can get bonds together with medals (high caliber,defender,etc). With each medal you get around 5-7 bonds. So to sum it up, to buy a special upgrade you have to play a metric ton of battles for it. Another pleasant thing is that bonds cannot be bought with credit cards! :Smile_medal:

So as a conclusion to answer your question ... YES! Bonds implemented in WoT are a good thing (imo only!) and implementing another currency in WoWs, that can be earned the same way as in WoT, with the strict purpose to buy special upgrade ship modules, would be Good as Well!

• Cool 2

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
4 minutes ago, Schumy90 said:

I managed to do a little research regarding the bonds in WoT and i think i found out one or two things. First thing's first, please disregard the bul[edited]it i said earlier as it was just a load of crap.

From what i now know, bonds in WoT can be used to buy certain upgrades that are similar to our ship modules. Only that they are a bit more efficient, example: instead of -10% loading time, you get -12% loading time. Just like our special upgrade modules that now can only be obtained via supercontainers! Also a special upgrade in WoT can be bought for around 2000-3000 bonds (or smth around that sum). How do you obtain bonds you ask? There were tier X matches that gave you as a reward 3-5 bonds. Also now you can get bonds together with medals (high caliber,defender,etc). With each medal you get around 5-7 bonds. So to sum it up, to buy a special upgrade you have to play a metric ton of battles for it. Another pleasant thing is that bonds cannot be bought with credit cards! :Smile_medal:

So as a conclusion to answer your question ... YES! Bonds implemented in WoT are a good thing (imo only!) and implementing another currency in WoWs, that can be earned the same way as in WoT, with the strict purpose to buy special upgrade ship modules, would be Good as Well!

idk how i feel about this cause it will give experienced players advantage over new ones...

Beta Tester
3,659 posts
12,811 battles
20 hours ago, AkosJaccik said:

as good players should have the right to earn something cool,

With stuff being gathered with T10 ships to buy advantages in game it's not "good players" having this advantage, but only players with high tier ships... quite a few of which are utter potatoes... so... :Smile_hiding:

So for me as someone who mostly plays low- and mid-tier all these changes mean.... well, no changes?!?

Less detonations... m'kay... I get detonated about once every 97 battles... so less will make it even more neglectible for me.

And another free russian ship just means another ship for me to ignore...

So... I can understand that many will see the above as "good news", but for me it's all rather meh...

The only REALLY good thing mentioned is, that maybe, just maybe, T7/8 ships won't end up in T9/10 potato battles that often anymore... it's so effing boring to watch all those BaBBies hiding behind even the smallest island they fit behind...

Players
1,359 posts
14,152 battles

Maybe bonds would enable us to sell some of our unwanted spotter plane modules and damage con modules and buy more of those sexy speed boost modules?