Geophage

Akatsuki Good Enough?

8 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
258 battles

I recently created an account on the EU server.  I like IJN DDs, and that's pretty much all I've played here.

I have little experience with the Akatsuki, it wasn't around when I was grinding the line on NA, so I have questions.

I like the Fubuki.  I do pretty good in it.  I play it as a pure torp boat and don't use the guns unless it's safe to do so.

Can the Akatsuki be played this way successfully?  Does the 400m worse detection range make a real difference? 

Thanks for reading.

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles

The 400 metres make a difference, especially, as the Akatsuki will run into more higher tier DDs that have concealment mod and thus are way more stealthy. especially other IJN DDs like Kagerou or Yuugumo, which beat your concealment by a mile (or well, more like 1 km). Fubuki can often count on being among the stealthier ships in a match, while an Akatsuki will often be easily detected.

Insofar, I found Akatsuki to play similar in that it is mainly a torpedo boat, but different, in that it has to be a bit more careful. Especially if you are not top tier. I typically rather play support then (thankfully we get 5 DD matches quite often these days), follow another, stealthier DD at some distance and help them gun down something if needed. If there are less DDs, that means you need to mind the worse detection range less and can be more free to spam torpedos at enemy ships, for which the 3x3 set up on Akatsuki is just as lovely as it was on the Fubuki.

If you are top tier, I find that being a bit more aggressive is possible, because most other nations you still can match or beat on detection range and lower tier IJN DDs should not pick a fight with you. If you get spotted by one in a cap, try to be aware of the support each side has. If the enemy has more, just run, you got incredible speed and should be able to run away. If your side got more, just keep heading towards the likely position of the enemy, close the distance and keep them lighted up.

The Akatsuki has a respectable gunpower, but it is not a dedicated gunboat and I'd be reluctant to call it even hybrid. As you are familiar with Fubuki guns, these have the same ballistics as the Fubuki guns. If you are familiar with Hatsuharu, then you also are familiar with the reload of the guns (which is 7.5 seconds). This reload is not good, but everything else about these guns is very decent and it's the lack of DPM that kills it. I'd never try pick a fair fight with a USN or Russian DD, but if I had to, it's not exactly a bad idea to pop speed boost, turn around and kite them with your two rearward turrets.

• Cool 1

[BONI]
Players
1,019 posts
8,771 battles

If you just like torps, I wouldn't make the jump to Aka. It's one of the most versatile IJN DDs, with decent guns and speed but not much of an upgrade to the torps. Its stealth is also not great. I think it's third-best in t7 but worse than virtually anything t5,6, 8 and 9.

Instead, if you're really dedicated to torping, go back to t4, and go the other branch for Shira. But be prepared to give up smoke for TRB once you get it, and also to be completely at the mercy of MM that it won't put you in a match with a competent enemy CV.

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles

Well, it also depends on where you want to go later, because Shiratsuyu will go on to Akizuki, which is gun-focused, while Akatsuki will go on to Kagerou, Yuugumo and Shimakaze, which once again are stealthy torpedo boats. If your objective is to get to these higher ships, then Akatsuki is a necessary step, though it shouldn't be too painful (the concealment means you just cannot press caps as well as before, but you still have more than enough to stealth torp heavier ships and better speed to get around). Also, while Shiratsuyu can use the TRB, Akatsuki still beats Shiratsuyu in torpedos over time, as the three triple tubes reload faster and have 1 torpedo more per salvo than the two quad tubes. With Shiratsuyu on TRB, you have to capitalise on the shock value of the 16 torpedo wall of skill and your pretty decent concealment.

Also, Shiratsuyu is preceeded by the Hatsuharu, which basically is a Fubuki that has less hp, one less torpedo launcher, but in exchange has better reload on the guns. I did not find it too hard, but I was glad when I sold it, because there's little point playing it over a Fubuki, except for Shiratsuyu and Akizuki.

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,051 posts
14,044 battles

every time i see one they explode, esp in ranked , even though they outspot a mahan , i still rekt them in one. so no probably the worst destroyer. 

[WONLY]
Players
186 posts
9,346 battles

very good boat. decent guns, very good speed, good torps. it even has some AA to kill hovering planes. only real downside is the 6,4 detection. if you know the spotting ranges of the enemy dds you can adapt your playstyle. e.g. don't try to contest an open cap vs. a kagero.

Players
118 posts
2,872 battles

For some reason this DD gels with how I play DDs. 

I only have it for 9 battles and it's not even fully upgraded (just the hull) yet I have no problem performing with it. As Marble said it has excellent speed, the best guns  (for IJN DD up to this tier) and good torps.

I even go and contest against stealthier DDs since I am confident I can

- run away if they contest cap AND are superior gunboats or have support.

- push them out aggressively if they don't shoot which would indicate that they either don't feel confident in their support (they probably have little of it) and/or they can't simply outgun me.

For now it seems a keeper for me.

• Cool 1