You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
PseudoMi

Best DD for 8th Ranked Season

132 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
607 posts
5,400 battles

This season we have also a radar DD !

Also, will DDs carry the team this season, or they will have to share their influence with CVs ?

[BLUMR]
Beta Tester
798 posts
6,899 battles

So far most games have been DDs and BBs with a rare CA and even fewer CVs.

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,052 posts
9,616 battles

7.5 km radar is useless especally without smoke and DW Torps.....Lo Yang is the best with its ext range sonar, US Smoke  and all purpose torps.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
880 posts
8,141 battles
5 minutes ago, Spellfire40 said:

7.5 km radar is useless especally without smoke and DW Torps.....Lo Yang is the best with its ext range sonar, US Smoke  and all purpose torps.

It is a contester for sure, maybe the Kidd can do better with the heal. but it lucks the hydro.

[TOXIC]
Players
1,002 posts
15,372 battles
19 minutes ago, Spellfire40 said:

It could be useful if there is a lot of dds, 3 to 4 per team. It could be a useful tool for contesting a caps especially if you can borrow someone else smoke. Maybe not long enough for kill but enough for reset and chipping enemy dd health. But yes I agree it is very situational and having only DWT is a great weakness. But I believe that some people will try to use Hsianyang, at least Flambass said that he will.

Kidd and Loyang will be probably the best choice but Benson won't be bad either. All the rest are quite dependable of team composition and maps but any of them could be useful in capable hands (not mine tho). My personal choice would/will be Loyang and Benson.

[UNICS]
Players
607 posts
5,400 battles

At the beginning of last season ... not many talked about Hatsuharu. 

Until high ranks meta tourned out to be who's spotting who first, and Hatsuharu had the best concealment of all and could decide the game.

Right now we have the best concealment, from far, on Harekaze.

However at T8 we also have radar, including a radar DD ! If the meta will evolve into who's spotting who first in smoke, then I suppose the 7,5 km radar will make a bigger difference than 5,4 hydro or anything else.

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
292 posts
5,128 battles
2 hours ago, Spellfire40 said:

I disagree. 7.5km is good enough to flush destroyers from caps. At the end of the day killing the enemy destroyer has priority. Torps are lacking, sure, but you can keep the enemy DD detected for your team. The smoke compromise one can work with. If you played clan wars, you saw how little smoke played a role. 

Lo Yang is very strong, long range sonar and US smoke. This one will be the choice of many. 

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,052 posts
9,616 battles
2 hours ago, tank276 said:

It is a contester for sure, maybe the Kidd can do better with the heal. but it lucks the hydro.

played with both it really depends how much close suport you run into. at 1st contact. Kidd deals better if your team dont move at the start into suport positions while Yang overall deneys a cap as long as you dont run ito randar Cruisers.

The Noth map especally is just a crap choise  since a single radar cruiser  can shut down both caps.

Yang brings the best mix in capcontroll and firepower in both guns and torps.

Kidd brings good Gun powerand survivability  at the price of Tlost Torpedopower.

Aki while having insane gunpower and good hp just cant dodge fire enogh for ranked.

Kagaro can outspot most ships and if properly suported can force enemy dds to break off without leaving conceilment at all. Problem agist a Yang it wont get Torpedohits and its guns are abysmal.

HSF is a good mix of kagaro stealth and AKis guns but requires a specal build and has the worst hp if she is forced to use the guns.

Panasia Line DD? Just no.... a 4 gun Benson without the ability to torp DDs,..... You cannot igore the objectives and flank either making the DW near worthless since you will have. Radar is a no go since geting spoted usally means you run ito the whole enemy team and geting slaughtered in less than 15 seconds. The smoke gives options but compared to a real US smoke? not recomended.

Benson baseline DD while bringing nothing good it has a bit more firepower than Lo Yang.

Z23 good Torp reload but slightly worse sttealth and gimp smoke.

RU DDs: if they can play to their strengh you would have won anyway without them . Just no DDs need to do a DDs job and RU DDs just cant do that.

• Cool 3

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,052 posts
9,616 battles
5 minutes ago, Strefs said:

I disagree. 7.5km is good enough to flush destroyers from caps. At the end of the day killing the enemy destroyer has priority. Torps are lacking, sure, but you can keep the enemy DD detected for your team. The smoke compromise one can work with. If you played clan wars, you saw how little smoke played a role. 

Lo Yang is very strong, long range sonar and US smoke. This one will be the choice of many. 

its just a bad choise if it works great 20 sek radar can put a dent in a DDS HP Pool but you run into a CV you can instantly quit to port leaving your team without a DD. You get spoted have a hell of a time to disengage and you cant even do gundamage when your Torps are on cooldown without getung wrecked. Sure if you leach another DDs smoke fine but the risk in a non div gamemode to have such coordinations is not something i would bet my teams sucess of would be on the same level as a Kagaro with TLR...

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,871 posts
11,296 battles

It's a straight fight between Lo Yang and Kidd.

Lo Yang has OP hydro that lasts 1 min 45s with Hydro module, is extremely small and manoverable too. Plus you have 10 torps even if they're a bit slow and weak. RPF and Hydro is possibly overkill, just RPF is more than enough for most situations.

Kidd has brutal firepower and huge HP when SE and heals are factored in. However only having 5 torps may cost you as it'll be far harder to nuke enemy ships. And Kidd is fatter and less manoverable than Lo Yang. I'm half thinking the guns may not even be that useful as you spot far more than you shoot stuff. I'd even argue it's not your main job to shoot things in Ranked but to spot as I've won many games in previous seasons by barely firing a shot and some with 0 damage.

• Cool 3

Players
3,453 posts
7,229 battles

I'm wondering if Kagero might be worth a mention, instead of a short duration consumable you have a permanent spotting advantage, the guns aren't terrible, especially if you can keep the fight at range, the torps are dangerous enough.

It's a bit slow, the handling's not great and the AA is pitiful but if your team can support you that is manageable.

[UNICS]
Players
607 posts
5,400 battles
40 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

I'm half thinking the guns may not even be that useful as you spot far more than you shoot stuff. I'd even argue it's not your main job to shoot things in Ranked but to spot as I've won many games in previous seasons by barely firing a shot and some with 0 damage.

That would mean that Harekaze & Kagero will carry the games, especially if no CV and no radar ships remaining late in the game.

Harekaze being a Kagero with powerful guns and good AA.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
7,871 posts
11,296 battles
18 minutes ago, PseudoMi said:

That would mean that Harekaze & Kagero will carry the games, especially if no CV and no radar ships remaining late in the game.

Harekaze being a Kagero with powerful guns and good AA.

Hmm possibly but having decent guns "can" help you win clutch situations, as in it's often worth duelling the last DD if you survive and they don't as killing all of the enemy DDs tends to condemn their team to death.

I've never hit Rank 1 with a Japanese DD although plenty have. Harekaze falls just that little bit too far in terms of speed and HP. Plus a Lo Yang with RPF will likely put the pain on you as you're slower. In fact, remember that Lo Yang Hydro means than anything that can outspot you soon won't be with it activated as it reaches out 5.4km same as optimised IJN DD detection ranges. 

Thing is I also find torps are very hit and miss but that maybe due to the fact I'm not the best torp user out there. 

Lo Yang has the best balance of all abilities, Kidd is probably better if you can get an advantage and hold it as only having 5 torps means she's probably less of a game changer if things have gone wrong for your team whereas all other DDs can better nuke something off the map by luck/skill/whatever and turn the tide.

Beta Tester
2,057 posts
8,191 battles

Only had a few games so far, but in Loyang I was always facing 2+ Radars and would have rather been in my Kidd. 

We'll have to see what happens at the low ranks. 

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
224 posts
12,212 battles

First two ranked battles and  it looks that Kidd is good choice. Strong guns and heal are important advantage...

kidd-2.jpg

Players
3,453 posts
7,229 battles

At the moment DD are unplayable, especially in ranked, I've had torpedoes come out of the tubes at 180o from where I aimed them, I literally daren't fire them if there are any friendly ships within 10 km.

Kidd, maybe, being the most gun focused of the T8 DD suffers the least, I'm wondering if Kiev might be an option, but until this is fixed I'm not going near ranked with a DD.

Beta Tester
248 posts

As a fairly decent player  (got to rank 5 two or three seasons ago), running a Benson in the current season.. can not help myself complaining about feeling at a disadvantage against Loyang (which i consider OP) and a little about KIDD. I'm not so worried about KIDD as I'm worried about Loyang.

Problem is that ship is broken as hell especially for ranked. WG buffed it some time ago because it was underperforming but now made it OP as hell against other DD's.

In Ranked , getting cap early is key to winning. Every DD is rushing for the cap so first time encounters are norm. But when  things get though I can always pop my smoke and hold the cap while the rest of team arrives. You can't do that against a Loyang as it will spot you in the smoke. That is [edited] WG.   A cruiser can't  keep up with you at the start of the game to offer you backup and challenge the cap with radar and you basically losing before even fighting. WTF is this? Is this WG game balance? You are losing momentum and all you can  do is wait for his Hydroacustic search consumables to expire. By that time you are already losing the game.

After being spotted.All you can do is run,  wiggle and hope you are not going to  get RNG fucked by some lucky shot.  Now I understand why that ship is premium. P2W game slowly transforming. Glad I'm not paying anything anymore. 

The fact that 3 of the premium ships are the most played in the current meta (tirpitz , kidd , loyang) kind of shows me the future of this game. So sad.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
880 posts
8,141 battles
1 hour ago, clocky said:

As a fairly decent player  (got to rank 5 two or three seasons ago), running a Benson in the current season.. can not help myself complaining about feeling at a disadvantage against Loyang (which i consider OP) and a little about KIDD. I'm not so worried about KIDD as I'm worried about Loyang.

Problem is that ship is broken as hell especially for ranked. WG buffed it some time ago because it was underperforming but now made it OP as hell against other DD's.

In Ranked , getting cap early is key to winning. Every DD is rushing for the cap so first time encounters are norm. But when  things get though I can always pop my smoke and hold the cap while the rest of team arrives. You can't do that against a Loyang as it will spot you in the smoke. That is [edited] WG.   A cruiser can't  keep up with you at the start of the game to offer you backup and challenge the cap with radar and you basically losing before even fighting. WTF is this? Is this WG game balance? You are losing momentum and all you can  do is wait for his Hydroacustic search consumables to expire. By that time you are already losing the game.

After being spotted.All you can do is run,  wiggle and hope you are not going to  get RNG fucked by some lucky shot.  Now I understand why that ship is premium. P2W game slowly transforming. Glad I'm not paying anything anymore. 

The fact that 3 of the premium ships are the most played in the current meta (tirpitz , kidd , loyang) kind of shows me the future of this game. So sad.

I am on of those guys in the Lo Yangs !!!

Havent found much success in Ranked though yet.

Started with the Kidd for around 15 battles and switched to the big Lo.

Your points are true though, it is a bit on the OP side (WG gave the z23 also hydro, but the ship has problems of either nature, and hydro is still shorter range).

Lo feels a bit better than the Kidd, hydro vs heal being a tough choice.

To sooth things down for you, even Lo Yang players fear facing enemy Lo Yangs. :Smile_hiding:

Still sucks that both Lo and Kidd are premiums with no real silver counterparts.

Beta Tester
2,057 posts
8,191 battles
2 hours ago, clocky said:

How often do you eat torpedoes when you sit in that smoke like a duck?! 

And don't smoke up against a Loyang! 

If he runs after you, perfect, just kite him and he will lose. 

(You have 25% more firepower and the advantage of him closing in on your shells + your support is closer) 

If he smokes up, stay out of 5.4.

Torpedo his smoke and wait for him to leave it. 

Beta Tester
248 posts

You don't seem to understand or see the big picture here.

1. On some maps in ranked , by the time you arrive at any cap (with engine boost) , you have no torps reloaded because no DD can reload that fast at tier 8. You arrive first.

2.  Loyang will come second but will spot you anyway (if loyang comes to the same cap as you) and practically you have to run especially if everyone will point their guns on you. (and they will) 

At that point both can use smoke but only one effectively. What that tells you? You dont use smoke againt Loyang. Fair enough. But you lose the cap.  Again what is that telling you? Balance?

Also torps are fairly easy to avoid  in the smoke if you know how to position yourself and toggle speed.  To a good captain that is 0.1% failure rate.

sure it's easy to play down that ship. The reality in the game is different. Would love to see some stats for that ship at the end of  ranked. It practically negates any brawling advantage of the US dds. Who the hell cares you have much more firepower when you cannot see him while it can see you (along with the rest of this team)

Beta Tester
2,057 posts
8,191 battles

Sorry but you are not understanding. 

If you are both spotted, you both have support. 

Loyang has much less firepower. 

If he smokes up, you stay at 5.4 and flush him out with your 10 torps, when they become ready. Just stay at 5.4 man. 

Yes, Loyang can use hydro to cap in smoke, which you can't, but he can be flushed out by good torpedo aim. 

Edit :

Of course Loyang has an advantage in those situations, if there is no radar. 

But you have a big advantage whenever both are detected. 

The important thing is to not let him use that advantage by staying at 5.4. 

He cannot do this permanently, so you just have to negate him the few chances he gets. 

Losing a cap for 1-2 min will not lose you the game. 

[WGP2W]
Players
309 posts
5,952 battles

That´s why I dropped the Benson in favour of the Chapa. Radar LoYangs in their smokes 24/7. Benson simply doesn´t cut it against Lo and Kidd

[SV3]
Beta Tester
1,078 posts
8,308 battles

Has Loyang always had very bad firechance? Just bought it for the ranked season and running my Gadja Mada captain on it. Have both fireflags which brings my firechance up to 6%. But even with all the HE spam on BBs i hardly never see eny fires instead i have to rely on torps for damage.

I know im pretty spoiled with the dires in my Khaba, Akizuki, Gadja Mada and such but Yolang really sucks at starting fires?