Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Rosletyne

Torpedo aiming broken?

16 comments in this topic

[-CC-]
Players
81 posts
11,035 battles

I've had some issues using torpedoes today. Often when I tried to launch them nothing happened, requiring me to click several times and resulting in missed opportunities. Fortunately I was playing mostly in the Leander, so I did not need to rely on torpedoes that often.

Then I tried the Shinonome, and that was worse. Oh boy, it got so much worse.

The first time I tried to use torpedoes, I once again could not get them to launch. I switched to guns and back, still no go. In frustration I clicked repeatedly, finally getting them away, and shortly after I'd sunk an enemy battleship. So far so good, right? Except that only two of my torpedo salvos had gone toward the battleship as aimed. The third had gone in a random direction.

Some time later I attempted to torpedo an enemy battleship trying to take our cap. I was detected doing it and my target changed course, so I probably would not have hit anything anyway, but I would still prefer if my torpedoes had not been launched backwards. A friendly battleship behind me narrowly avoided being hit, while I was turning the camera around, wondering where the hell my torpedoes had disappeared to. I found them eventually, hitting an island that had never done me anything wrong.

I tried to torpedo an enemy battleship a couple more times after that, only to see more torpedoes sailing behind me and abusing an innocent island some more. I even tried to launch one set of torpedoes deliberately in the opposite direction, and of course that one time they did launch exactly where I aimed them.

I did see a couple other strange incidents involving torpedoes today, so I was wondering, has anyone else had anything like this happen?

20171222_032322_PJSD706-Shinonome_22_tierra_del_fuego.wowsreplay

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,698 posts
13,142 battles

Severe lag maybe? Can't think of anything else that could cause such behavior.

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,034 posts
11,482 battles
5 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Severe lag maybe? Can't think of anything else that could cause such behavior.

I don't think that's it.

Several people reported similar weird behavior with torpedoes yesterday on Reddit. And Sub_Octavian said a fix is in development.

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,550 posts
5,517 battles
29 minutes ago, Teob_VG said:

I don't think that's it.

Several people reported similar weird behavior with torpedoes yesterday on Reddit. And Sub_Octavian said a fix is in development.

Imagine the possibilities of combining the two bugs: people who have ended up with the ST DW torp reload booster shima in their port trying it out and getting the torp bug: 30 DW torps heading back towards your own team.....

• Funny 3

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
45 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Imagine the possibilities of combining the two bugs: people who have ended up with the ST DW torp reload booster shima in their port trying it out and getting the torp bug: 30 DW torps heading back towards your own team.....

30 DW shima torps? i am having wet dreams :Smile_hiding: dont they realise this is game breaking?

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,550 posts
5,517 battles
13 minutes ago, robihr said:

30 DW shima torps? i am having wet dreams :Smile_hiding: dont they realise this is game breaking?

I believe I read that they've remived this option for the PTS. Presumably so they can do more internal testing.

Its both breaking AND crap at the same time. On the one hand you can have a division put 90x 20km DW torps for the biggest torp soup possible. On the other hand you then have 3 destroyers without smoke who's torps cant hit destroyers OR cruisers (these are extra deep) and are useless at contesting caps

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
2 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

I believe I read that they've remived this option for the PTS. Presumably so they can do more internal testing.

Its both breaking AND crap at the same time. On the one hand you can have a division put 90x 20km DW torps for the biggest torp soup possible. On the other hand you then have 3 destroyers without smoke who's torps cant hit destroyers OR cruisers (these are extra deep) and are useless at contesting caps

wtf no cruisers? i thought they were same as pan asian ones. this is pretty shitty then... they can be spotted by million of stuff then...

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles
8 hours ago, Rosletyne said:

I've had some issues using torpedoes today. Often when I tried to launch them nothing happened, requiring me to click several times and resulting in missed opportunities. Fortunately I was playing mostly in the Leander, so I did not need to rely on torpedoes that often.

Then I tried the Shinonome, and that was worse. Oh boy, it got so much worse.

The first time I tried to use torpedoes, I once again could not get them to launch. I switched to guns and back, still no go. In frustration I clicked repeatedly, finally getting them away, and shortly after I'd sunk an enemy battleship. So far so good, right? Except that only two of my torpedo salvos had gone toward the battleship as aimed. The third had gone in a random direction.

Some time later I attempted to torpedo an enemy battleship trying to take our cap. I was detected doing it and my target changed course, so I probably would not have hit anything anyway, but I would still prefer if my torpedoes had not been launched backwards. A friendly battleship behind me narrowly avoided being hit, while I was turning the camera around, wondering where the hell my torpedoes had disappeared to. I found them eventually, hitting an island that had never done me anything wrong.

I tried to torpedo an enemy battleship a couple more times after that, only to see more torpedoes sailing behind me and abusing an innocent island some more. I even tried to launch one set of torpedoes deliberately in the opposite direction, and of course that one time they did launch exactly where I aimed them.

I did see a couple other strange incidents involving torpedoes today, so I was wondering, has anyone else had anything like this happen?

20171222_032322_PJSD706-Shinonome_22_tierra_del_fuego.wowsreplay

It is not only you, I experienced it almost ceaselessly while playing DDs past midnight.

Beta Tester
144 posts
5,852 battles

the torpedo launcher issue striked me as well, only when turrets where locked with ctrl-x tho, had to switch to turrets, unlock and switch back to release some fish

Beta Tester
3,671 posts
12,833 battles
On 22.12.2017 at 1:25 PM, SgtTincan said:

the torpedo launcher issue striked me as well, only when turrets where locked with ctrl-x tho, had to switch to turrets, unlock and switch back to release some fish

yep... this seems to be the/a reason for the bug. And maybe even vice versa, 'cause I had my gun turrets (!) on Nürnberg and Leander doing exactly the same sh** as the torp launchers. Click mouse, guns don't shoot... couple seconds later they shoot and it seems it's the direction the torp launchers are locked to.

Played two games without locking gun/torp direction and I didn't encounter that bug..

Beta Tester
3,671 posts
12,833 battles
1 hour ago, Azrael_Ashemdion said:

I had no problems here.  Perhaps your mouse is starting to pack it in, or you're getting some big ping times?

Az

Do you lock directions often on your guns/torpedo launchers? if not, you won't notice the bug.

And no, it has nothing to do with the mouse(s) of all the people reporting the bug or ping times, which were at around 30 each time it happened to me the last days...

If you do use locking, then consider yourself lucky.

Beta Tester
347 posts
12,056 battles

I usually leave it on auto-lock, unless there's a crowd of ships that I have to sort through.  But generally I switch lock-on from the non-sniper view and leave it on torps to avoid giving the target extra info.  

Your ping sounds okay, about like mine, so that's probably not it.  Do you have multiple monitors?  Try running Task Manager on the side and see if there are any CPU hogs out there, or maybe stuff that spikes I/O or memory usage.  I generally kill PowerChute (10% CPU on a pretty hot chip) and most of MS SQL's services (big memory hogs) as a matter of practice, but if I were experiencing behavior like what you mention my first hunch is going to be investigating your network latency and/or whether your house bandwidth might be exceeding 50% while you experience this.  Once you get above 50% bandwidth, some network drivers can start to spend time "waiting to transmit", which might not show up as ping but will show up as additional latency.  

Edit:  also just occurred to me - occasionally my mouse (Razer Naga left-hander) refuses to admit that I moved it, and this generally happens when I "drag" my pinky finger...really pisses me off because I want to look and it won't turn my view.  I've found cleaning the mouse feet (the slider patches) helps a lot.  Not sure about the button, but if the mouse is a bit older, it might be picking up some dust or grime on the switch.  Dunno what model you have, but it might be worth seeing if it needs a clean.

Az  

Beta Tester
3,671 posts
12,833 battles
51 minutes ago, Azrael_Ashemdion said:

Look at patchnotes update notes for next patch update, due on the 28th Dec and You'll see that it was indeed a bug and had nothing to do with anything player hardware/ping/I-net provider or connection or whatever

Just a bug... and hopefully they found it and exterminated it...

[SM0KE]
Players
1,550 posts
5,035 battles

This thread is interesting - explains some issues I was having with torps over the last couple of days. Thanks, all!

Sign in to follow this