Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Andrej_Peribosky

Ships take a while to appear on screen (but shown on minimap)

41 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
28 posts
1,997 battles

Hello.

I don't know if this is an issue with my client or the game, or is just working as intended and the same for everyone.

Note that i am quite an exprienced player, fully aware of how spotting mechanics work.

When a ship becomes spotted, i have it appear on my minimap as usual.

However, it takes 1-2 seconds for the ship to appear on my main screen.

Often i am in smoke,  and i know another DD is close by. As soon as i exit smoke, i get detected and the enemy DD appears on my minimap, detected by me. I even get "tracked", as i see the (1) number near the "detected" icon, so i know the other DD is aiming at me. However, it still takes a couple seconds for the enemy ship to appear on screen, during which i cannot target it (and they can). Often times, by the time he appears on my main screen, enemy shells are on the way already.

Is anyone else having this problem? Do detected enemy ships appear immediately on the main view for you guys?

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
28 posts
1,997 battles
1 minute ago, xxNihilanxx said:

It has always been this way, at least for me. I assume it is the same for all.

I think it's always been like this but, why can they fire on me way before i can fire on them, then? There's AT LEAST a 1 second difference, possibly two.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Beta Tester
208 posts

Same for me but i noticed that some players are shooting at the target 1-2 sec before its visible for me. Even if theyre behind me. Im using ssd so that shouldnt be an issue, also great internet.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,784 battles

I suspect that quite a few people get this I know I do) - is this down to RAM/graphics card or latency?

(my machine was absolutely top spec 3 years ago, not an SSD drive though,  and I have a 100mbs connection but get this situation on a regular basis).

Beta Tester
28 posts
1,997 battles

Definately not latency, i get a constant 35 ms. Not graphic card too, it has nothing to do with that too.

I also suspected it could be the time needed to transfer the texture to memory, but i think those are loaded at the beginning of the match and not unloaded.

Beta Tester
545 posts
4,181 battles

I have same problem and I thought that I was going crazy, I have GTX1080 so I don't know what is the problem with hardware ?? 

Maybe "remove fog" from Aslain mod or something from his mods  ??

Andrej do you have any mod installed ??

- it is a big advantage/disadvantage bug and probelm :(

Beta Tester
28 posts
1,997 battles
3 minutes ago, VooDooZG said:

I have same problem and I thought that I was going crazy, I have GTX1080 so I don't know what is the problem with hardware ?? 

Maybe "remove fog" from Aslain mod or something from his mods  ??

Andrej do you have any mod installed ??

Yes, a lot of mods. Will try without them, but i don't think that's the problem.

Also worth trying low textures?

Beta Tester
545 posts
4,181 battles

I don't think that texture are problem - I can see smoke of the enemy ship but ship is shown with like 2-3 sec after !?!?!?  in that time he will shoot on me, i will see shells flying toward me and than after 2-3 sec ship will show ???

Players
961 posts
4,863 battles

I have the same in vanilla. It is a server issue since it takes more time than it should. Flambass recently had the same issue in his Tirp and cursed the server a lot. 

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

IIRC i noticed this with changes in spotting mechanics update (remember SA bug?). idk if i reported it in bugs thread or just posted this problem in normal SA bug thread.

[_MIA_]
Players
2,886 posts
5,347 battles

Yes, this happens to me all the time aswell (no mods). The worst part was just 2 days ago, when a Takao tried to get funny against me in Hindenburg. Unfurtunately, my Hydro was already up, but he rushed around the corner anyway.  I saw his nose already, Hydro goes on CD, he disappears. Im like ok... well where are u? hello???!! Takao appears, gets behind next rock i cant shoot him LOL (was on Atlantic? i think is the map, between B/C with the small islands/rocks).

Lucky i managed to dodge those torps, but couldnt dodge the 2nd one so we killed each other after he came around the other island.

But thx Game for denying me the perfect kill shot...

Players
745 posts
12,486 battles

100% vanilla here and same problem. It's driving me nuts at times; because the time from it gets spotted (ie. on map) util it's drawn physically counts towards the 3 seconds you are guaranteed to spot somebody. I have multiple times known where someone is ("somewhere in that smoke") and turned my guns in their rough direction, but the time I have from he is drawn to he dissappears is too short.

Annoyingly - if he does blink out, I need to repeat the 2 second render delay, even if he was rendered just before blinking out.

I also think it's a client issue, since the position of a (spotted) ship is just a position and a vector on a plane. The ships pop up on the minimap almost immediately after all.

Does anybody know a mod that will give you a primitive indicator drawn immediately at the right place?

Beta Tester
28 posts
1,997 battles
56 minutes ago, Namolis said:

Annoyingly - if he does blink out, I need to repeat the 2 second render delay, even if he was rendered just before blinking out.

Yes, happens to me too.

Also, as somebody else said, smoke appears immediately in the right position where the ship is, if i'm not mistaken.

It clearly can't be happening to everyone, as i've been shot multiple times immediately after contact.

[OMNI]
Players
341 posts
7,334 battles

I get this even when a ship is unspotted and the respotted instantly. For example, a DD unspots, I hit radar at the same moment, and he reappears on the minimap, but there is a delay of 2-3 seconds before I actually see his model.

Players
509 posts

Same problem, vanilla installation and top rig.

Sometimes it takes 5+ seconds for the ship to appear on the horizon after the dot appears on the map.

I thought it was something related to the fact that sometimes my mates see the enemy ship (so it appears on the map) but I dont, since she is out of may visibility range.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles

This is a thing, I always expect at least 2...3 second delay between minimap and vision. Just another reason to pay more attention to minimap to know who's spotted where.

Also when for some reason PC is working under more pressure (a.k.a. slower) (for example I open Firefox and it decided to update bcuz reasons) that visual appearance can get wayyy more delayed

Beta Tester
28 posts
1,997 battles
1 minute ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Also when for some reason PC is working under more pressure (a.k.a. slower) (for example I open Firefox and it decided to update bcuz reasons) that visual appearance can get wayyy more delayed

This would be indicative of the game needing to fetch the model from the HDD

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles
4 minutes ago, Andrej_Peribosky said:

This would be indicative of the game needing to fetch the model from the HDD

But if there is a Bismark right in front of me, and another Bismark (identical one) pops up next to him, still takes time to pop up on screen. Had the same idea, but this point would kind-of break it, wouldn't it?

Beta Tester
28 posts
1,997 battles
Just now, wilkatis_LV said:

But if there is a Bismark right in front of me, and another Bismark (identical one) pops up next to him, still takes time to pop up on screen. Had the same idea, but this point would kind-of break it, wouldn't it?

Well, yes. If the model is displayed already, it must be in RAM by necessity

[SNUBS]
Players
1,228 posts
6,308 battles

yup its been an issue for long. but lately  it seems worse. 

• Cool 1

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
4 hours ago, XTHD said:

I get this even when a ship is unspotted and the respotted instantly. For example, a DD unspots, I hit radar at the same moment, and he reappears on the minimap, but there is a delay of 2-3 seconds before I actually see his model.

i think this is remnant of SA bug cause it behaves identically. before you would get SA icon 2-3 seconds before you would see ship. i remember that this happened at that time also. ship appears on minimap 2-3 seconds before you see him, you radar ship in front of you and it takes 2-3 seconds for model to be drawn...

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles

There are TWO issues

#1 is the intended behavior. IT'S NOT A BUG. Spotted ship is always shown on minimap immediately (and receives the "spotted" notification right away) but is only rendered with a small delay (I think it was 3 seconds, but I'm not 100% sure at the moment). Ship that gets unspotted, on the other hand, remains rendered (and shown on minimap) for the same duration after successfully breaking line of sight.

#2 is the actual problem. This is the most prevalent if your computer struggles with the game - especially if you make the mistake of launching WoWs with some background process hogging lots of resources (especially RAM, I think). This can lead, in extreme cases, to ships (this can apply to friendlies as well!) not being rendered even for extended periods of time, especially at the start of the battle (when first spotted). It can last literally for minutes. I've once had this happen with one bugged Chrome process that ate a couple gigabytes of my RAM for no apparent reason...

Sign in to follow this