Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ferry_25

Clan wars, thank you Wargaming

45 comments in this topic

[X_MAS]
Players
51 posts
6,025 battles

I really enjoyed them too.

We had very off results but it was serious fun.

Only thing? Let them run everyday and for longer. We are Europe. We all have different habits and daily patterns. Heck, up in the Netherlands, Belgium, UK ecc people have dinner incredibly early so for them 7 pm is sort of "after dinner", but for us Italians , ie, it really creates problem with everybody having dinner straight in the middle of the session, or even worst due to the differences within our own country some of us go earlier than others...

I'm saying this because it was a real issue for us to be "all on the spot".

For the rest, i'm sort of happy even with the non existance of CVs in CW as of now they make too much a difference and there is too much a difference in skill level....the battle would be basically dominated by them alone.

All in all it was fun!

Beta Tester
300 posts
5,979 battles

I also enjoyed CW quite a lot.

Some youtubers called them boring and too stale, but for me they were quite a nice refresh from randoms and even ranked.

Sure at the start the game is a bit boring. but when you loose/kill 1-2 ships. or one of the teams pushes and suddenly things get really tense in a very short time. Not to mention the really close games or the ones where you are losing then suddenly you pull out a victory in the end with some good play and some nicely aimed salvo or something like that and you are all cheering on TS. I think I will have some nice moments and games to remember from this season.

There sure is some more room for improvements (like maybe remove some maps or make it possible not to get the same map 5 times in a roll), but overall - for a first season for CWs, I think overall it was a success and WG did a good job!

[AONO]
Players
51 posts
8,550 battles

Can confirm, clan battles were great. Very good mix of individual skill and strategy.

The format comes with some intrinsic and some unnecessary issues though:

1. Having all clan subteams play on the same rating was challenging. At some point it became very challenging to play with even one or two less experienced player, if they didn't know yet which roles they were best at in a CB environment. So at some point many just stopped playing, or it became a real fight to assemble good lineups.
  2. There were no announced rewards beyond the "score x wins in typhoon" missions, so many of the experienced players just left.

It seems that there was no punishment for switching clans a lot though so some clans just swapped players over into secondary ones to grind up from the beginning. If the next season will be like this one, we will probably do the same for our less experienced lineups...

[HAERT]
Players
2,038 posts

I really enjoyed the Clan Wars.

Teamplay.

No CV's.

Only 1 BB per side.

Maps not bad at all, the fight for 3 caps and tactical play with options was great.

Dynamic cruiser and DD play without the threat of 5 BB's blowing you to bits the moment you're spotted.

The much predicted Conqueror, Moskva and Z52 only combo proved incorrect, many other combinations worked very well indeed.

Rewards weren't bad.

We had many wins and losses which were great battles, very few facerolls in either direction.

• Cool 3

[W_I_G]
[W_I_G]
Players
162 posts
19,723 battles

I also enjoyed it more than i expected, and i noticed others too in my clan, they even said they could no longer play or enjoy random after CW :Smile_teethhappy: and it forced me personally to activate voice chat and over come my fear of others laughing at my broken English :D thanks WG :Smile_izmena: we had lots of fun moments and some sad ones, we were honored to go vs strong clans and we ended up with top 16.

• Cool 1

[-FF-]
Players
609 posts
5,414 battles
4 hours ago, jako737 said:

Only thing? Let them run everyday and for longer.

I'm afraid that is not possible. I suppose that if you do not force clan wars to a specific time, there won't be enough clans to allow good matchmaking (just a guess, but that makes sense to me, otherwise WG would have let people choose when they wanna play).

• Cool 1

[X_MAS]
Players
51 posts
6,025 battles
3 ore fa, elblancogringo ha scritto:

I'm afraid that is not possible. I suppose that if you do not force clan wars to a specific time, there won't be enough clans to allow good matchmaking (just a guess, but that makes sense to me, otherwise WG would have let people choose when they wanna play).

Yeah i supposed the same though saturdays are totally offs (comeon, saturday evening?) and i still think that going some 6 to 10/11 pm on , ie tuesday/thursday/friday/sunday would have been slightly better (at least for us!!) . Would you agree?

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Players
1,416 posts
8,418 battles

yup, i think it was a success, even if the times were a little off, can't wait for clan wars proper rather than these clan battles...

[BLITZ]
[BLITZ]
Players
2,049 posts
8,964 battles

We fought 317 battles in total, I think this tells a lot.

Very good mode, good decisions regarding team line-up by WG.

I enjoyed it very much, I guess the rest of my clan did too.

Happy holidays, guys. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,160 posts
9,954 battles

Very difficult to play CBs tbh. """Prime time""" was a stupid idea.

Most of the days when I logged in (after getting home, eating, cleaning), it was either past 22:00 or just short of 22:00.

Only times I was able to play some battles, was in the weekend if I stayed at home.

Most people have a life outside of this game, and need to work to earn money; and some of them have to work late.

Not a fan of WG treating these people like they treat CVs...

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
545 posts
4,181 battles

Clan Wars was great, first big step in the right way/direction --- great job who ever/what ever team did that, give them a job to do a proper MM in random games ...

Beta Tester
2,084 posts
8,203 battles
7 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Very difficult to play CBs tbh. """Prime time""" was a stupid idea.

Most of the days when I logged in (after getting home, eating, cleaning), it was either past 22:00 or just short of 22:00.

Only times I was able to play some battles, was in the weekend if I stayed at home.

Most people have a life outside of this game, and need to work to earn money; and some of them have to work late.

Not a fan of WG treating these people like they treat CVs...

They should have extended the Primetime till 24:00.

But the primetime itself is necessary,  to get enough teams online and to get a real MM. 

And while I am sorry for CV mains, it felt way better without them dominating those small engagements. They could  participate in all their other ships [and the rental ships] after all. 

• Cool 1

Players
961 posts
4,863 battles

I had a blast too. These battles were the only reason I actually started looking for a clan and pretty much struck gold. Got to know a lot of fun and very skilled people. I also have to agree that the format was nice. In order to include cvs we would at least need 9 people per team, and that wouldn't be quite feasible either. It was nice starting with the "hopefully we will make it to typhoon at all" mentality, only to finish with "we're here to stay, now let's get some wins and rewards". Had so many awesome nailbiters which were decided in 5 second windows, it was an awesome team experience. Just make sure to roll out season 2 soon,  so we can go for the second flag ;).

Alpha Tester
244 posts

I agree with most, Clan battles were a success. An enjoyable format giving nice rewards.

Call me salty, but I must say that the point system doesn't make the best team win, rather the team that makes a good run of results at the best moment.

In the end, the winning team (OMNI) has 243 wins in 348 games (69.83% WR), while the second team (my clan TWA) has 247 wins in 337 games (73.29% WR). So, "the best team" has fewer wins from more games. Congrats?

I'd also say some maps are too big for 7/7.

Already looking forward to the next season.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,871 posts
8,086 battles

Hi all,

9 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Really like to get this off my heart. I so thoroughly enjoyed the CW. Being the "XO"of my clan, my good friend started the clan more or less as serious joke. "Let's see how far we come, Ferry." If nothing, let's collect oil and benefit as a group. Now, we're "leading" a wonderful group of people who are devoted to improve the whole team. Heck: we have all the buildings, except HQ2!! Now the CW itself. I admit I'm a bit in a motivation crisis for wows right now. No, not any blame or shame on WG. It's me. Haven't played as much lately and had a bit of a low profile on the Forum as well. But when CW was up, I made sure to log in should my team need me. We managed to shrug the "Random battle Ego mode" off and operated as a team when the CW progressed. We had so much awesome nailbiters, where the balance either dropped to us or our enemies for 20 minutes, friends for life. @Bakx83 and me didn't expect to get very far in the ranking. Giving our very best shot of course: rather go down in dignity than not trying at all. With humble pride I can say we made it to Storm 1... Even had a shot to move to Typhoon but we didn't make it. Gave our very best of course but that's where out limit was. For now.

I see the criticism to WG on the Forum. And I agree to some of it. But the CW was spot on for me. Yes, there's still a lot of WIP. And though I am not a CV fan, the CV has a place in this game. I understand the "start low and go slow" POV from WG and I'm sure the CV will get a place in CW in the future. For now: like my title is saying: thanks guys. I've had a blast playing the clanwars. Really looking forward to the next session! Hell of a job.

IMHO the "Clan Wars" were the BEST thing that WG did with WoWs in recent time - my sincere congratulations and gratitude! :Smile_Default::Smile_great::Smile_honoring:

My clan reached the "Typhoon II" (and main clan reached the "Typhoon I") - we got tons and tons of Oil (we are on our way towards the 50 player clan) and had absolutely superb time!

BTW, I posted when the "Clan Wars" started:

"WG thank you - the "Clan Wars" (once in the "Gale League") offer best consistent gameplay experience in WoWs!"

Leo "Apollo11"

Beta Tester
2,084 posts
8,203 battles
9 minutes ago, Slauter said:

In the end, the winning team (OMNI) has 243 wins in 348 games (69.83% WR), while the second team (my clan TWA) has 247 wins in 337 games (73.29% WR). So, "the best team" has fewer wins from more games. Congrats?

Do you not understand ELO, or did you just want to secure your bragging rights? 

• Cool 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,034 posts
11,493 battles
3 minutes ago, Slauter said:

I agree with most, Clan battles were a success. An enjoyable format giving nice rewards.

Call me salty, but I must say that the point system doesn't make the best team win, rather the team that makes a good run of results at the best moment.

I'd also say some maps are too big for 7/7.

Already looking forward to the next season.

I think that's not a totally fair representation. Don't get me wrong, you guys were great. But the points system is meant to fairly represent the difficulty of opponents faced. I am not sure it's perfect but maybe Omni won more against the top teams.

I mean WR on its own doesn't quite tell the whole story and I do think you are being a bit of a poor sport here.

For what it's worth I think that TWA, OMNI and OM were pretty much in a league of their own this season with very little difference in skill.

It was fun.

• Cool 3

[DMOK]
[DMOK]
Players
399 posts
17,443 battles

Must say Cw been  funny and intresting. Sometimes the better tactic won over the plain "we kill them all" method due to the fast points gathering.

Some maps must be looked at cause you get a disadvantge at "hiding places" depending on where you start from .

But that a minor things.

In all Cw been good (rewards also )

[DREAD]
Players
453 posts
7,651 battles

Nice to see a generally positive thread on the forums, for once

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
244 posts
1 hour ago, Teob_VG said:

I think that's not a totally fair representation. Don't get me wrong, you guys were great. But the points system is meant to fairly represent the difficulty of opponents faced. I am not sure it's perfect but maybe Omni won more against the top teams.

I mean WR on its own doesn't quite tell the whole story and I do think you are being a bit of a poor sport here.

For what it's worth I think that TWA, OMNI and OM were pretty much in a league of their own this season with very little difference in skill.

It was fun.

What exactly was unfair or unsporting in my statement? Just facts there.

The system makes you stop playing when you become first since you need ~80% WR to keep the first place (just keep a number of points, earn very little or nothing), and we were first for such a long time that we couldn't keep our best performing players interested in CB's. At the same time,  you need 70-75% WR to keep gathering points from the second or third spot and reduce the distance.

In the end, you can get unlucky with map & spawn picks against top teams which exactly happened to us (an evening with 6x the same map and spawn, that was the worst for us, from 12 games, with these opponents: OM, 2x OMNI, TTT, ALN, another top-rated clan....we've lost 4/6 there and huge amount of points with 66% WR that evening). Since a setup doesn't work well enough on every map (even spawn) pure luck (MM) can decide who wins at which point in time. I don't think that's fair ;)

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

yeah clan wars were great. i am happy cause i managed to beat all top clans at least once with my team. loved the format with no CV and 1 BB, would have probably loved it even CV cause you actually get competent players in your team and enemies so it is rather enjoyable even if you lose (there is still frustration, cause you knew you could do better, compared to ranked where there is bad frustration cause you watch stupidity of teammates).

only thing that was a problem is prime time. it was too early. for people in uk it started in 18:00 and some people cant get home after the job then. it should start at least in 20:00 CET and last till midnight. or 19-23.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,034 posts
11,493 battles
27 minutes ago, Slauter said:

What exactly was unfair or unsporting in my statement? Just facts there.

The system makes you stop playing when you become first since you need ~80% WR to keep the first place (just keep a number of points, earn very little or nothing), and we were first for such a long time that we couldn't keep our best performing players interested in CB's. At the same time,  you need 70-75% WR to keep gathering points from the second or third spot and reduce the distance.

In the end, you can get unlucky with map & spawn picks against top teams which exactly happened to us (an evening with 6x the same map and spawn, that was the worst for us, from 12 games, with these opponents: OM, 2x OMNI, TTT, ALN, another top-rated clan....we've lost 4/6 there and huge amount of points with 66% WR that evening). Since a setup doesn't work well enough on every map (even spawn) pure luck (MM) can decide who wins at which point in time. I don't think that's fair ;)

You imply that your clan was better than Omni. That's both unfair and unsporting because like I said, WR is not the only indicator of performance (because of the teams you run into).

Everyone can have players lose interest or be unlucky with maps/spawns and I am positive all top teams had similar unlucky situations.

It was very very close in the end but suggesting you were more deserving than them is questionable at the very least. I think all three top teams were equally deserving of the top spot and it came down to the wire. Like I said, I don't think there's a big difference between TWA, OM and OMNI as far as performance goes and the dice just happen to fall this way on this occasion. It could have gone either way.

• Cool 4

[IDDQD]
Players
1,622 posts
15,239 battles
18 minutes ago, Slauter said:

I wasnt participating that match, but your clan lost to us yesterday and maybe that was match which costed your clan 1st place. We got 30 points for that so I guess you lost also 30. Be second clan by 16 points is quite unfortunate, but second place is still damn good isnt it? Wish you GL next time.

on topic: I didnt have single CW game until 28.Novermber and now I have flag no.1 for Stalingrad. Thanks to my new clan, with good and friendly ppl. We hadnt any specific goals for CWs but in the end we are 24. clan which is awesome and most of us have Stalingrad no.1 flag.

CW format was good, with one BB there was room for cruisers to play - no deadly crossfire. Removing CVs was also good, with them it would be very much about which team has better CV player.   

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this