Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blechhaube

A lecture in game design (fail faster wargaming)

5 comments in this topic

[MDRED]
[MDRED]
Beta Tester
162 posts
8,991 battles

Hallo Wargaming,

you know your current state of the game is not as satisfying as you wish it to be. We player know it and you know it. All new players(some old as well) face the same problem: in the first tiers they can learn the basics of their ships, but teamplay in a team based game stays a huge secret for most of them. Yes,  I mean that hidden mechanic that highly improves your chance to win a match. Why is that? There was a lot of talking about tutorials...well I do not expect anything like this coming sooner or later. But maybe the guys of ExtraCredits can provide you with some fundamental basics of game design. Yes, it is time for you to listen.

Why is playing in a team not intuitive in your game. I mean why do people know how teamwork works if they play football but not in your game? Does your game give the player any affordances for teamplay?
Maybe ExtraCredits can provide you with some general ideas:

Obviously your gamedesign is a failure in the point of teamplay. Extra credits have another tipp for you: fail faster. Yes please help the world of warships community to get over this misery, if you would just fail faster. That would be very appretiated. Whatever you have got up your sleeve to solve this problem and I am certain you have something in mind, please put it on the table sooner than later.

Once the community realises how important failing is in the procedure of developing a game I hope they become much more mercyfull. Yeah....even I try to be more mercyful with you guys :D

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Beta Tester
765 posts
4,326 battles

I did not expect to find anything interesting but I did. This "fail faster" perspective is indeed something quite new, and certainly not a point I myself would usually start with. 

But how WoWs is not failing faster may have reasons as well. Such as perhaps there are still redeemable qualities in this game, or perhaps the game was so lukewarm to begin with it never really succeeded before it could "fail" big-time.

In anyhow, this "fail faster" theory makes sense for me only when I see it in applied in another theory: "critical success". This theory basically means in order to thrive towards creating works of "critical success", with "critical" not meaning it gains favor with critics and the press, but that it has very strong core qualities, even unique bright points, and that with the chance of "critical success" one must also face a chance of of "critical failure", e.g. 'Go Big or Go Home'. Now obviously WG is not that kind of company, they never really left home. And not every franchise or developing team is suitable for the kind of "critical success" goal in which "fail faster" would somehow be a catalyst instead of a debilitating move. In short, it's not a shallow question which can be answered with simple answers. And on the topic of kinds of developing goals itself, there are much more complex theories such as "pull versus push" based design ... and all of them stress that the hardest part is still in application.

Oh also, title is clickbait title, and is still not a lecture.

(Intuitive gameplay as a goal is nice and all, if only explaining it was also "intuitively" simple .......)

• Cool 1

[MDRED]
[MDRED]
Beta Tester
162 posts
8,991 battles
4 minutes ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

I did not expect to find anything interesting but I did. This "fail faster" perspective is indeed something quite new, and certainly not a point I myself would usually start with.

Oh also, title is clickbait title, and is still not a lecture.

I take this as a compliment :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

[MDRED]
[MDRED]
Beta Tester
162 posts
8,991 battles

In case the title leads to missunderstanding. I or rather ExtraCredits simply supports Wargaming to keep developing a potentially awesome game :cap_win:

Moderators
113 posts
432 battles

This thread has been closed by the moderation team due to not being constructive.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1