Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Blechhaube

The secret of hidden game mechanics revealed

11 comments in this topic

[MDRED]
[MDRED]
Beta Tester
162 posts
9,004 battles

Thanks to the guys of Extra Credits I obtained an satisfying answere to the need of our holy Rnjesus in the game. You all know this entity: it helps you winning, it helps you losing. Sometimes it helps you to survive a full shot in your broadside, on the other hand it makes sure your opponent gets away with barely HP left.

Enjoy the show:

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[MDRED]
[MDRED]
Beta Tester
162 posts
9,004 battles
1 minute ago, Tungstonid said:

TL;DW: People don't understand things like "chance", therefore game designers change stuff to "make it feel right". :Smile_teethhappy:

Yeah pretty ironic, isn't it? :cap_haloween:

[RNG4]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
6 minutes ago, Blechhaube said:

Yeah pretty ironic, isn't it? :cap_haloween:

It is ironic on two levels, actually.

Considering the from time to time upcoming "This game is rigged" threads from not-so-good players it is ironic because if those players actually learned about how chance worked, those "rigging" would not be necessary.

The second thing is, if the game designers didn't "rig" games, those very people would still come to the forum and complain about a rigged game because "I have a 50% hit chance, therefore I can't miss seven times in a row." :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 3

[RAGE]
[RAGE]
Players
86 posts
6,541 battles

"In the end a game designers priority is to engage and entertain.."

And then we still have detonations :cap_like:

• Funny 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,709 posts
13,166 battles
6 hours ago, 15_22 said:

And then we still have detonations :cap_like:

Technically speaking detonations are perfectly fine from the quoted viewpoint.

After all, the player who detonated someone else engaged with relevant game mechanics and was (hopefully) entertained by the results. Very cheap entertainment that gets boring fast to be sure (which is also one of the reasons why detonations are fairly rare to get), but the principle still applies.

Alright, the player who got detonated most likely wasn't entertained by it, but that on the other hand is fine with the principles of game design for PvP games.

(Not saying I like detonations, but in the context of random, co-op and scenario battles I do think they're fine. They have no place in either of the more competitive gamemodes, though.)

[ASEET]
Players
192 posts
6,539 battles
9 hours ago, Tungstonid said:

It is ironic on two levels, actually.

Considering the from time to time upcoming "This game is rigged" threads from not-so-good players it is ironic because if those players actually learned about how chance worked, those "rigging" would not be necessary.

The second thing is, if the game designers didn't "rig" games, those very people would still come to the forum and complain about a rigged game because "I have a 50% hit chance, therefore I can't miss seven times in a row." :Smile_hiding:

Oh god, it really annoys me when someone goes "This is not random, X happened Y times in a row, how can you call that random?"

Brought back some memories of old times when some of the games I played had real, unforgiving, unaltered RNG. Boy those games had me raging hard from time to time.:cap_viking:

Beta Tester
3,678 posts
12,880 battles
On 21.12.2017 at 5:50 AM, El2aZeR said:

Very cheap entertainment that gets boring fast to be sure (which is also one of the reasons why detonations are fairly rare to get), but the principle still applies.

Can't say I'm ever bored seeing ships I shoot at or launch torpedoes at explode... I rather find it unsatisfying that there is no slow-motion shots available... :cap_haloween: