MrConway

Campaign "The Battle of the North Cape"

103 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,884 posts
2,152 battles

Please leave your feedback on the "The Battle of the North Cape" campaign here.

• Bad 2
  • Angry 1

Players
1,481 posts
5,740 battles

Unnessesary hard/impossible for people who don't want to spend money on a much worse King George V especially Mission 4, which is even if you own Duke of York dependend on RNG, and Mission 5 where you have without Duke of York:

11 Torpedo hits with britsh ships (lucky who spend money on the only available Destroyer)

Kill 10 Battleships

Do 90.000 DmG with Torpedos in one battle while driving a Cruiser or Destroyer

Earn 75.000 XP

I think that most people would agree that 90%-95% of the Community, myself included, are locked out of completing Mission 5 without buying Duke of York in the Shop.

• Cool 4

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,885 posts

I understand that it's a T7 BB, and the ties with the actual battle of the North Cape, but I found the requirements for last year with the Graf Spee (incremental amounts of XP and Base XP) more enjoyable, and more in the line with the holiday schedule/spirit/plans. There indeed has to be an incentive to buy the DOY, but I think these requirements are a bit over-doing it as "bully"-incentive. And it excludes players who don't have high-tier ships (90k torpedo-damage per battle at T10 is no issue, but at T5...), nor does it offer a true incentive to use premium time (not as much as the Graf Spee missions did).

Also surprised to see there is no mission (or partial mission) to the other T7 ship that it's all about: the Scharnhorst itself. Missed opportunity there.

• Cool 3

Players
22 posts
5,305 battles

Yes, Mission 4 is completely unreasonable for people that do no have as much time to play.
Either a BB is required, I only have Cruisers for example, or have to earn an achievement that is totally dependant on RNG.

Because of Real Life ™ I didn't get to finish the Dunkirk Mission or Collection, and now have no way to complete it.
This is completely unfair on players that don't always have time to grind Campaigns.

• Cool 3

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
6 hours ago, Mandalorianer said:

Unnessesary hard/impossible for people who don't want to spend money on a much worse King George V especially Mission 4, which is even if you own Duke of York dependend on RNG, and Mission 5 where you have without Duke of York:

11 Torpedo hits with britsh ships (lucky who spend money on the only available Destroyer)

Kill 10 Battleships

Do 90.000 DmG with Torpedos in one battle while driving a Cruiser or Destroyer

Earn 75.000 XP

I think that most people would agree that 90%-95% of the Community, myself included, are locked out of completing Mission 5 without buying Duke of York in the Shop.

1. british cruisers have torps, and i score hits with them pretty constantly. hint: be closer to the enemy

2. rather easy with a t5+ dd. kamikaze, shinonome, pan asian dd-s pretty much all do devastating strikes to bb-s there. havent played rest of t5-t9 ijn dd-s since nerf, but i guess it is possible for them also.

3. while it is not easy, it is doable

4. cca 2-3 days of playing if you have premium and/or camos

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
455 posts
5,682 battles
6 hours ago, Interceptor_One_EU said:

Yes, Mission 4 is completely unreasonable for people that do no have as much time to play.
Either a BB is required, I only have Cruisers for example, or have to earn an achievement that is totally dependant on RNG.

Because of Real Life ™ I didn't get to finish the Dunkirk Mission or Collection, and now have no way to complete it.
This is completely unfair on players that don't always have time to grind Campaigns.

Then don`t grind the missions then. Nobody is forcing you.

It`s not WG fault u don`t have any BBs now is it?

Well, I have really life stuff too. U don`t see me go mi mi mi on the forums over that.

It`s like the ref is blowing the wistle and u complain cause u didn`t have time to score yet.

Players
1,481 posts
5,740 battles
1 hour ago, robihr said:

1. british cruisers have torps, and i score hits with them pretty constantly. hint: be closer to the enemy

2. rather easy with a t5+ dd. kamikaze, shinonome, pan asian dd-s pretty much all do devastating strikes to bb-s there. havent played rest of t5-t9 ijn dd-s since nerf, but i guess it is possible for them also.

Not everyone is equally "gifted", you know?

[-CC-]
Players
81 posts
11,035 battles

Has anyone encountered any bugs in the missions so far? I can't get the very first task to work. In one game, I spotted not one but two Bismarcks in the Leander, I was the only one with line of sight so I know I was the one spotting them, and of course I did not get the mission completed. How long am I going to have to keep doing stupid things in the Leander to get this task over with?

EDIT: Not very long, it turns out... four games later I managed to spot a Scharnhorst by peeking behind the big island in the middle of Estuary. And oddly enough, despite the many reckless things I did today in the Leander, I've had the devil's luck and both won and survived most games. Still, this mission was a pain, not least because it encourages reckless behavior.

[BWOLF]
[BWOLF]
Players
115 posts
5,609 battles

Remove the timer from the Battle of North Cape campaign  and all will be good, otherwise  it's disappointing

• Cool 1

[ALYEN]
Players
558 posts
2,100 battles
23 hours ago, MrFingers said:

I understand that it's a T7 BB, and the ties with the actual battle of the North Cape, but I found the requirements for last year with the Graf Spee (incremental amounts of XP and Base XP) more enjoyable, and more in the line with the holiday schedule/spirit/plans. There indeed has to be an incentive to buy the DOY, but I think these requirements are a bit over-doing it as "bully"-incentive. And it excludes players who don't have high-tier ships (90k torpedo-damage per battle at T10 is no issue, but at T5...), nor does it offer a true incentive to use premium time (not as much as the Graf Spee missions did).

Also surprised to see there is no mission (or partial mission) to the other T7 ship that it's all about: the Scharnhorst itself. Missed opportunity there.

actually getting high torp damage in DDs is much easier in tiers up to 7 than 8+ ... way less hydro/radar/planes ...

[ALYEN]
Players
558 posts
2,100 battles
14 hours ago, Rosletyne said:

Has anyone encountered any bugs in the missions so far? I can't get the very first task to work. In one game, I spotted not one but two Bismarcks in the Leander, I was the only one with line of sight so I know I was the one spotting them, and of course I did not get the mission completed. How long am I going to have to keep doing stupid things in the Leander to get this task over with?

EDIT: Not very long, it turns out... four games later I managed to spot a Scharnhorst by peeking behind the big island in the middle of Estuary. And oddly enough, despite the many reckless things I did today in the Leander, I've had the devil's luck and both won and survived most games. Still, this mission was a pain, not least because it encourages reckless behavior.

that task goes against all reasonable play in the UK cruisers. met a belfast in one game where he simply rushed to the other side without smoking just to try and spot the BBs ... had he smoked as usual, we'd have cleared 4 enemy cruisers and won the game easily ....

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,223 posts
11,314 battles
On 12/21/2017 at 12:09 PM, MrFingers said:

Heyho!

Thanks for the feedback - most mission should be designed in a way that they're easy to complete, some of them are a bit harder. The good thing is that you can pick tasks multiple times and decide which ones are the easiest for you to complete. We'll take it into consideration for the future design choices - it's always a certain compromise.

Agreed about the Scharnhorst, I'll pass it along in my beautiful German voice :D

Greetings, Crysantos

Players
1,481 posts
5,740 battles
2 hours ago, Crysantos said:

[...]The good thing is that you can pick tasks multiple times and decide which ones are the easiest for you to complete.[...]

Greetings, Crysantos

And how does this magic work? I can't repick already completed tasks...

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
455 posts
5,682 battles
1 hour ago, Mandalorianer said:

And how does this magic work? I can't repick already completed tasks...

Yes u can. U however don`t get the reward twice.

Players
1,481 posts
5,740 battles
43 minutes ago, siramra said:

Yes u can. U however don`t get the reward twice.

Gee, now I feel really stupid, literally!

Because I "do want" some of the camos from the "New Year Raid" I justified the 36€ for the base version of Duke of York to myself, also because of the Credits I get for duplicate ships for my first Tier X (Yes, Ima dirty F2P peasant)

Well, lession learned. Have a laugh at my expanse. =)

• Cool 2

Players
109 posts
5,675 battles

Been made far to hard to complete and is on a timer lock so even if we do mange to get the ship(which aint likely as its XMAS and family time and people also have work as well) you wont get time for New Years mission.

Yet players who have been away for a few months come back to massive free gifts as per another post with 12mill credits and 2,500 doubloons and 2 ships tier 5 and 6 with 10pt captains. 

Way to go WG  reward the disloyal and screw the regulars. 

• Cool 1

Players
486 posts
7,180 battles

Task 4: Cause 75000 HP damage to enemy battleships - Complete the task in random or ranked matches with T5-T10 cruisers.

Did it with Schors/ Arp Haguro and did plenty of damage to battleships , neither counted. Thank you very much for your middlefinger and much ...  to yourself. "Have a nice holiday".

Players
486 posts
7,180 battles

Is that campaign actually a Hoax??? It seems the first mission counts and then afterwards zero, zilch, nothing,...

The last post was about the cruiser mission damaging battleships, well even the other way around mission, battleships damaging crusiers won't work.

First time i took the Fuso for a spin.

Fuso.thumb.png.2dd23f4e1b7c76109b34823d526044c0.png

Nice,  doesn't seem to take long to get the achievement. Let's play the Bayern.  (I actually played the New Mexico in between and she also didn't count)

Bayern1.thumb.png.43597af11a956f60aa8db25f55d8ceba.png

Again 36???  but i'm sure i damaged some cruisers. Let's check the report.

Bayern2.thumb.png.6e76a69669242978c9e06febb3337ce2.png

What did i do wrong WG???

(That is the New mexico result)

Newmex2.png

Players
109 posts
5,675 battles

Task two mission 1. Receive 250k potential damage in a cruiser and survive in one battle lol

Not seen many battleships with those hit points yet alone a cruiser with no heal? 

How the heck is that even doable. 

Yet again WG quality control or lack thereof fail ti spot the issues.

Players
1,361 posts
14,165 battles
6 hours ago, Dr_Strangefruit said:

Task two mission 1. Receive 250k potential damage in a cruiser and survive in one battle lol

Not seen many battleships with those hit points yet alone a cruiser with no heal? 

How the heck is that even doable. 

Yet again WG quality control or lack thereof fail ti spot the issues.

Not damage, potential damage. Check the 'Detailed' Tab on the after battle screen. Right in the middle of the screen are numbers for spotted torpedoes, ships, planes and potential damage. Hover your mouse cursor over it for more information. A battleship can easily get millions unless he plays like a blue line pussy.

Players
552 posts
4,472 battles

I'm honestly super disappointed in these campaigns. In addition to Missions 4 and 5 being ridiculous for a timed campaign, having the second "New Years Raid" campaign locked behind hither buying DoY for 30€ or finishing the terrible first one is absolutely atrocious design.

I personally have no interest in DoY, but was instead looking forward to finishing the New Years Raid stuff for the new scharn camo and to skip grinding the low tiers for several lines I have yet to finish. But in order to actually even start NYR before the event is over I'd need to shelve out 30€ for a ship I do not want on top of all the other expenditures I've had this month, or grind my brains out working for the DoY (Again, which I do not want) for the next 15 days minimum, and THEN have to work through the NYR campaign in however much time it'll have left by then.

I understand that yes, it is a TVII premium BB for free through a campaign which in-and-of-itself is a cool event, but locking half of the holiday content behind the acquisition of said BB is immensely disappointing.

[G-S-W]
Beta Tester
110 posts
6,840 battles
1 hour ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

I'm honestly super disappointed in these campaigns. In addition to Missions 4 and 5 being ridiculous for a timed campaign, having the second "New Years Raid" campaign locked behind hither buying DoY for 30€ or finishing the terrible first one is absolutely atrocious design.

I personally have no interest in DoY, but was instead looking forward to finishing the New Years Raid stuff for the new scharn camo and to skip grinding the low tiers for several lines I have yet to finish. But in order to actually even start NYR before the event is over I'd need to shelve out 30€ for a ship I do not want on top of all the other expenditures I've had this month, or grind my brains out working for the DoY (Again, which I do not want) for the next 15 days minimum, and THEN have to work through the NYR campaign in however much time it'll have left by then.

I understand that yes, it is a TVII premium BB for free through a campaign which in-and-of-itself is a cool event, but locking half of the holiday content behind the acquisition of said BB is immensely disappointing.

Pretty much this. Too hard, too difficulty for what we get or need.

Last year we got the Graf Spee, a unique ship, first one of its type ingame.

We got the October, the second USSR BB (or for those who joined us after the Nikolai even the first USSR BB ingame, again, unique ship (for some at last))

Now, we just get a sister ship (I dont want to comment on performance). If you just want to have the ship class, just get the King George V.

The Duke of York offers not very much.

Everything in this campaign screams: buy the DoY!

Bismarck campaign did it better, yes, we didnt got a free t7 premium (but a free Bismarck) but you could get Hood to be faster and get some nice gifts in addition.

Those artic camos look really cool, sadly they are locked behind those hard missions. Would love to get the one for Shiny Horse but... no.

So much love and hard work wasted if nobody gets those camos. Thats the worst thing.

Players
11 posts
3,432 battles
On 12/21/2017 at 5:57 PM, robihr said:

Would like to piggyback on this.

To 1+2 first of, a mixup happened here, or a lack of information in the previous post. OPs op mixed up 2 tasks from a mission that may caused this not very accurate response from op.

M5/T1 11 Torp hits with british ships, thats totally doable, not limited to "in one game", lots of brits with torps, doable,  but

M5/T4, is a different story. 90k Torp damage, with british cruiser/dd only, in ONE battle. thats pretty much impossible with any brit cruiser i would say,  and the only brit DD in the game is a premium that you have to buy or win. but thats "only" a T6 and has really not that great torps (reload, speed, damage).

2. rather not so easy because your OP didnt mention "british" in that requirement. british cruiser or destroyer. Doing 90k torps it in a cruiser in one game, id say close to if not totally impossible. or spending money on the galant, and even then its less from easy id say.

3. saying its not easy... doesnt do some of those Tasks justice. some are still heavy rng. disable/destroy main turrets f.e. or:

M2/T2 destroy incapicate/destroy 25 modules on an enemy ship. not ships, singular, one ship, that means probably the same ship, in one battle.

M3/T1+T2 be first to spot X (with Y). i f.e. dont have german DDs @ TierV (not a big problem tho, i just hope for my quick koenigsberg or something and just die after), also somewhat RNG if all the Y spawn on the other side, not straight across from me.

The others are fairly easy, just grinds, earn X amount XP, do X amount damage (to certain ships). all fairly chill. but than they do missions like these mentioned above.

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
7 hours ago, HeIIraizer said:

Would like to piggyback on this.

To 1+2 first of, a mixup happened here, or a lack of information in the previous post. OPs op mixed up 2 tasks from a mission that may caused this not very accurate response from op.

M5/T1 11 Torp hits with british ships, thats totally doable, not limited to "in one game", lots of brits with torps, doable,  but

M5/T4, is a different story. 90k Torp damage, with british cruiser/dd only, in ONE battle. thats pretty much impossible with any brit cruiser i would say,  and the only brit DD in the game is a premium that you have to buy or win. but thats "only" a T6 and has really not that great torps (reload, speed, damage).

2. rather not so easy because your OP didnt mention "british" in that requirement. british cruiser or destroyer. Doing 90k torps it in a cruiser in one game, id say close to if not totally impossible. or spending money on the galant, and even then its less from easy id say.

3. saying its not easy... doesnt do some of those Tasks justice. some are still heavy rng. disable/destroy main turrets f.e. or:

M2/T2 destroy incapicate/destroy 25 modules on an enemy ship. not ships, singular, one ship, that means probably the same ship, in one battle.

M3/T1+T2 be first to spot X (with Y). i f.e. dont have german DDs @ TierV (not a big problem tho, i just hope for my quick koenigsberg or something and just die after), also somewhat RNG if all the Y spawn on the other side, not straight across from me.

The others are fairly easy, just grinds, earn X amount XP, do X amount damage (to certain ships). all fairly chill. but than they do missions like these mentioned above.

if it is 90k with torps with british cruiser/dd then it is a lot harder. not impossible but very hard. i would probably have that kind of game 1/20 or 1/50 in minoutaur. if it is only 90k torpedo damage without uk in it than it wouldnt be so much of a problem.

25 modules is one of the easiest missions, cause AA modules are counted in this. just take british BB (it can destroy 20-30 modules in one salvo on full hp ship) or some HE spammer CA and this can be over in one battle.

be first to spot german bb with british ca is just absolutely stupid. you can only do it if there is no dd on your side (or your dd is brain dead), then you yolo rush enemy and hope enemy doesnt have dd on that side.