Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hades_warrior

Duke of York as reward for Campaign - Opinions?

29 comments in this topic

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles

What do you guys think about this ship and new rewarding in generally?

So far we got only some perma-camo's for completing the campaigns, but getting a Premium ship of solid tier is unexpected rewards (IMO).

I love playing with KGV and as far as I know DoY is the same class ship.

What are Yorks Ups and Downs? Worth the grind in the new campaign?

Sorry if the thread is double. I didnt saw any on this subject.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,607 posts
5,047 battles

LWM's review isn't terribly complimentary, but there are suggestions of subjectivity.

It sounds like DoY is essentially a KGV with somewhat nerfed guns, and noticeably better AA.

As someone said on another thread, it's better to release a (possibly) UP premium, if you're essentially giving it to everyone, than to release an OP one, that is politically difficult to fix afterwards

[CAIN]
[CAIN]
Players
2,706 posts
10,505 battles

Well, there was the Bismarck campaign where one could get a TVIII BB, so it wouldn't be nothing new.

Is she worth the grind? Well, if you play anyway you can go for it. Is she worth 100€ for the bundle? No.

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles
11 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Well, there was the Bismarck campaign where one could get a TVIII BB, so it wouldn't be nothing new.

Is she worth the grind? Well, if you play anyway you can go for it. Is she worth 100€ for the bundle? No.

Yea but Bismarck is regular ship. Not Premium. Others (like me) who had Bismarck already got credits as replacement.

This York is a first Premium ship from campaign, and probably easy to get.

If she is any near or equal to KGV, im fine with it.

She is in the bundle?

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,809 battles

It's free and an objective for a campaign - I'll aim for her, how much I play her, well, like most of my other premiums, probably for the daily win and the xp boost that gives.

Unless she is as bad (for me) as something like the Campbell,in which case she might get dusted off once in a blue moon but that would be it.

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles
3 minutes ago, AkosJaccik said:

Strictly speaking, there is also the Shinonome.

Yea, that perma campaign. So tehnically York is the 2nd Premium.

3 minutes ago, philjd said:

It's free and an objective for a campaign - I'll aim for her, how much I play her, well, like most of my other premiums, probably for the daily win and the xp boost that gives.

Unless she is as bad (for me) as something like the Campbell,in which case she might get dusted off once in a blue moon but that would be it.

I wonder what task's will be for that campaign. And there probably will be some catches with how to get those collection containers. Like always.

[CAIN]
[CAIN]
Players
2,706 posts
10,505 battles
3 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

Yea but Bismarck is regular ship. Not Premium. Others (like me) who had Bismarck already got credits as replacement.

This York is a first Premium ship from campaign, and probably easy to get.

If she is any near or equal to KGV, im fine with it.

She is in the bundle?

Shinonome and Graf Spee were/ are available via campaign and both are only one tier lower.

Mighty Mo' and Nelson, while not hidden behind a campaign, are technically free Premiums too.

In one case you grind missions, in the other you grind free xp.

Yea, NA already has the bundles in the shop, the top bundle (with flag and fluff) costs 100 bucks. Not.worth.it.

From what i've read about the release version of the DoY, she's worse than her sistership, so all is well in regards to put her up as a reward ship.

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,554 posts
5,519 battles
9 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

Yea, that perma campaign. So tehnically York is the 2nd Premium.

If you're going by campaign format, there's DoY, shinome, graf spee.

If you include the older mission formats theres tachibana, smith, emden, katori, mikasa, kamikaze R, all the arp kongos/myokos and the tier 8 takao

Edit: and the okt R

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles

Missouri and Nelson are very expensive ships. Most of players got them with money conversion of doubloons to FEXP.

Will see the reviews when people get ger from campaign. Any ship have ups and downs, its just the matter of personal handling.

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles
1 minute ago, Xevious_Red said:

If you're going by campaign format, there's DoY, shinome, graf spee.

If you include the older mission formats theres tachibana, smith, emden, katori, mikasa, kamikaze R, all the arp kongos/myokos and the tier 8 takao

Only Shino and Graf from this list was from campaign.

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,554 posts
5,519 battles
3 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

Only Shino and Graf from this list was from campaign.

Whats the difference between a campaign that is only available for a limited time and a multipart mission that is only available for a limited time?

[_MIA_]
Players
2,945 posts
5,366 battles
6 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Whats the difference between a campaign that is only available for a limited time and a multipart mission that is only available for a limited time?

Probably the only difference is:

Campaign longer but easier.

Mission shorter but harder.

The campaign can be grinded usually (because u can do certain tasks over and over for the stars, which is easy, but more time costly)

While missions usually tend to have a "harder" task which some ppl might not get dont within one week.

My 2 cents about the DoY: Id have liked her more before the changes were made to make her a "traditional"BB...

[DIKI]
Players
802 posts
295 battles
1 hour ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Bismarck is not a premium ship

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles
38 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Probably the only difference is:

Campaign longer but easier.

Mission shorter but harder.

The campaign can be grinded usually (because u can do certain tasks over and over for the stars, which is easy, but more time costly)

While missions usually tend to have a "harder" task which some ppl might not get dont within one week.

All said here.

I just realized that York doesn't have HP recovery. Whaat?? BB without repair party? Come on...

[_MIA_]
Players
2,945 posts
5,366 battles
33 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

I just realized that York doesn't have HP recovery. Whaat?? BB without repair party? Come on...

Yes he does (now). In the first version he didnt have it (Hydro + Def AA tho, among other Cruiser treats)

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,160 posts
9,958 battles
1 hour ago, Hades_warrior said:

Missouri and Nelson are very expensive ships. Most of players got them with money conversion of doubloons to FEXP.

Will see the reviews when people get ger from campaign. Any ship have ups and downs, its just the matter of personal handling.

Missouri has been out about a year now, if you really want her you should already have grinded the Free XP by now.

With flags and/or camouflage you can get her quite fast (i.e. couple of months).

I have both Nelson and Missouri, and I didn't spent any doubloons on them - and I'm at ~700k free XP again.

OT: doesn't really matter how strong the DoY is, I'll probably get her anyway with the campaign - the tasks really don't seem that difficult tbh.

[UNICS]
Players
607 posts
5,424 battles
1 hour ago, Hades_warrior said:

They are very cheap in fact. Missouri full price cost less than a T8 premium BB. And you have choices to get her for less, even for free, if you’re not in hurry. 

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles
On 12/20/2017 at 7:23 PM, DFens_666 said:

Yes he does (now). In the first version he didnt have it (Hydro + Def AA tho, among other Cruiser treats)

I see. So they realized that design was a BS so they make it properly. Still, im not sure im gonna grind her if task will take ages to finish.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:37 PM, lup3s said:

Missouri has been out about a year now, if you really want her you should already have grinded the Free XP by now.

With flags and/or camouflage you can get her quite fast (i.e. couple of months).

I have both Nelson and Missouri, and I didn't spent any doubloons on them - and I'm at ~700k free XP again.

That ''cheap'' term is very various in peoples eyes. If you put yourself as casual player (as I am for example) than its oposite from 'easy to get'.

By the time I get 70-100k free EXP, there comes a new line of ships I want to play so I spend all on hull upgrades.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:42 PM, PseudoMi said:

They are very cheap in fact. Missouri full price cost less than a T8 premium BB. And you have choices to get her for less, even for free, if you’re not in hurry. 

Missouri is about 30,000 doubloons, which is 100€. T8 premium average cost is 50€.

How is Missouri cheaper than T8?

[UNICS]
Players
607 posts
5,424 battles

As simple as that : calculate with 1:35 freePex conversion and >450 doubloons/€. I get 47€ or less.

[PKTZS]
Players
8 posts
9 hours ago, PseudoMi said:

>450 doubloons/€.

Why not 600/€?  or 1000 LOL. Best doubloon package in the shop is 305d/€. Ironically, if you try to get 50k doubloons (the maximum allowed) you get a worst rate (304d/€).

Thing is 750.000 XP cost 21428 doubloons at 1:35 rate, and that is around 72€ in the premium shop. Getting the best d/€ ratio it's still 70€. Of course you can reduce that price with your already earned freeXP.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,160 posts
9,958 battles
9 hours ago, Hades_warrior said:

That ''cheap'' term is very various in peoples eyes. If you put yourself as casual player (as I am for example) than its oposite from 'easy to get'.

By the time I get 70-100k free EXP, there comes a new line of ships I want to play so I spend all on hull upgrades.

Maybe that's your fault then? If you want to get the Missouri, you can't just spend any Free XP you get.

Fyi; 2 days ago I played ~10 battles and got ~30k Free XP.

With right camos and flags, 1 battle I got ~7k (of course I don't use them on all my ships - only on those I expect to do well with) - 9 more days like that one and I should reach 300k. X3 and I have the Missouri. 10 days /month for 3 months ain't much

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,970 posts
5,450 battles

The only problem for me with this campaign are holidays. It's doable but... yeah. [edited]!

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,451 posts
7,794 battles

Are we back to this "Missouri's value" discussion again?

It's free if we're talking real money, not free if we're talking time and effort spent.

Full disclosure, I did convert XP for roughly half the free XP cost of her because I didn't want to wait any longer and because I had doubloons laying around. Since then I have also acquired the Nelson but I didn't spend anything but naturally collected free XP and I'm now at 600k free XP and counting. Suffice to say I rarely use free XP to unlock regular ships or modules. I used to skip especially awful hulls before, but now after they removed them all I don't really see anywhere it's worth using free XP in the regular tech-tree, possibly CV planes and load-outs.

Back on the topic of the Duke of York.

I did buy her through the cheapest option and have tried her out a bit. Since I haven't played the King George I can't make any comparisons, but by herself she's a decent ship.

Spamming HE mitigates the issue of having small BB guns with bad reload. The guns feel fairly accurate when you only have to actually hit a ship, not necessarily in the citadel.

She feels very tanky against AP and I've yet to be citadelled. When I die I usually burn to death since she doesn't have the usual RN zombie heal. Anti-fire captain skills and upgrades are a must.

I've yet to face a CV, so my AA guns are still in mint-condition.

The gun layout is a double-edged sword. On one hand you almost always have at least 4 guns on target, on the other hand the angles of the rear turret is really bad, so getting all guns on target is a bit awkward.

Maneuvering characteristics feel super average across the board. Turning is decent and speed is good.

Players
737 posts
6,930 battles

WAS looking forward to another campaign no matter which ship it was  but due to hols its going to be impossible to complete the last mission step. No salt, just hoping to get enough crates to complete the collection

Sign in to follow this