Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Gojuadorai

[critique] Camo design competition

32 comments in this topic

Players
2,656 posts
14,710 battles

Hi,

first of all i like to say i really enjoyed the competition and it was an awesome idea by WG!

however there were two point now the  selection is out that imho could be improved:

-  make the competition split between professional entires and nonprofesional ones.

having seen the selection without one entry that was not made by professional graphic manipulation programms left a bitter tase.

there were a lot of great ideas out there where people did not have the means to do an elaborate scetchw ith profesional program.

imho this sould not be a problem because your designers are profesional and could convert every decent drawing into a skin.

therefore i propose: making an seperate cathegory in future for handrawn and computer made entries like 10(or whatever number) for each.

- nearly all the selected entries are the same pattern of camo.

in retrospect i feels like (striped) Dazzle Camo was asked for without having said so.

there were a lot of good entries that were not dazzle like.

i would hope in future competitions (which i hope there are) you will either

select a more diverse lineup or specify more clearly "we want camos fitting the  french 19XX era camo"

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,260 posts
7,943 battles
39 minutes ago, Gojuadorai said:

in retrospect i feels like (striped) Dazzle Camo was asked for without having said so.

Nah, here are my submissions - dazzle wasn't enough, a touch of 60's hippie clothing color scheme was also a requirement:Smile_trollface:

Spoiler

1.png

2.png

4.png

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles

I'm curious what the results will be. I mean, I get the feeling that the voting system might favor camos that are different. While I'm pretty sure the majority of players would prefer some form of razzle-dazzle (as somewhat realistic for a battleship), there are actually 8 different patterns like that. The most likely to win are thus the #1 (the cruise ship camo :Smile-_tongue: ) and #5 (the whale) since they're unique among selected entries and don't suffer from the need to compete for the same audience with other similar designs.

Although, frankly, my curiosity and analisis of what's likely to win is purely academical since the first moment people picked a f*cking BB for this camo thingy  :cap_old:

Even if I somehow get her, with whichever camo, I'm unlikely to ever clock more than 5 battles overall in something crawling across the map at t6 BB speeds.

[L4GG]
Players
1,376 posts
5,487 battles
3 hours ago, puxflacet said:

Can you help me?

What's the name of that Panda guy that made some beautiful camos?

He made one for the Budyonni that I liked very much. And made much more.

Well I already voted but there's a lot that are nice.

If WG put several more camos available it would be so nice. If we could choose which camo or premium camo we could put in our ships would be nicer.

And

Why not talk to that Panda guy and other people like him to  put their camos available in port and even in special events, etc?

Players
274 posts
7,087 battles
4 hours ago, eliastion said:

The most likely to win are thus the #1 (the cruise ship camo :Smile-_tongue: ) and #5 (the whale) since they're unique among selected entries and don't suffer from the need to compete for the same audience with other similar designs.

TBH the Ocean liner one was my choice out of the lot, reminded me a lot of 1900 Battleship paint schemes, which we don't have a lot of in game, only Mikasa and Koing Albert, have these sort of camos.

IMO most of the dazzle ones looked to similar to already existing colour schemes on other ship lines so it put me off picking them.

[POP]
Weekend Tester
490 posts

There was obviously some behind the scenes cheating going on, since my superior creation didn't make the final then. Go ahead, ask yourselves if the "top ten" even had basic stuff such as smoke coming out of the smokestacks or guns firing.

https://brightkit-contests-live.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ugc/contest-50273/entry/large/normandycamo_5a2af00512a9b_large.jpg

• Funny 1

Players
274 posts
7,087 battles
15 hours ago, AndyHill said:

There was obviously some behind the scenes cheating going on, since my superior creation didn't make the final then. Go ahead, ask yourselves if the "top ten" even had basic stuff such as smoke coming out of the smokestacks or guns firing.

https://brightkit-contests-live.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ugc/contest-50273/entry/large/normandycamo_5a2af00512a9b_large.jpg

Was that a Mr Blobby themed camo?

10/10 for being different...

Players
1,576 posts
3,385 battles

there is no way people can be sort out to "professional" and "non-professional" cathegory. one would even wonder what do you see under the term "professional" because the fact that you can make some stuff in photoshop/gimp or illustrator/inkscape doesnt make you professional graphic designer. i saw a lot of troll designs which were done in a program and surely professional can do hand-drawn stuff which can look awsome. but no program can help you to find a good idea (...it was painful to dig through that blue-white-red deluge...)

dazzle is the only historical form of naval camouflage for normandie so im not surprised that it was predominant theme. normandie is on tier 6 with 1930s configuration so dazzle pattern is obvious choice. i wouldnt mind anything more creative which would look decent and plausible but you can find there like 3-4 suggestion that falls into that cathegory...but if you think that these 10 options are all alike then you are probably blind.

i personally would choose different suggestions than wg did, but everybody has its own taste and i'm at least glad that they didnt pick anything ridiculous

• Bad 1

Players
2,656 posts
14,710 battles
15 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

there is no way people can be sort out to "professional" and "non-professional"

if you have  read my paragraph  you would have noticed that i only chose those words to describe people that have the ability to use those programs vs people who do not.

no program can help you to find a good idea.

but it gives you an advantage in presentaition of said idea and that seems to have mattered a lot.

there are various better ideas in the entries thatn those selcted that seem to not have gotten the attention cause they were hand drawn by "non artists".

since im under the impression the competiton was mainly about creativity and good ideas not about photoshop skills thats a shame

dazzle is the only historical form of naval camouflage so im not surprised that it was predominant theme. normandie is on tier 6 with 1930s configuration so dazzle pattern is obvious choice. i wouldnt mind anything more creative which would look decent and plausible but you can find there like 3-4 suggestion that falls into that cathegory..

there are various camos that cant be considered  historical in the game.

WG specified: "they should fit the game" and in the end only chose camos "that fit historically" (maybe not the ugly wail thingy)

thats why i wish they would have said so in the first place.

but if you think that these 10 options are all alike then you are probably blind.

please 8 and 9 are nearly identical, atleast 3 of the dazzle things are really similar

and over all but entry 1 they are verry homogenious subset of all the considerable entries

they are all well made but imho not the best/most original ideas

PS if you wonder i voted for #3 

Players
1,576 posts
3,385 battles
On 20. 12. 2017 at 7:57 PM, Gojuadorai said:

there are various camos that cant be considered  historical in the game.

WG specified: "they should fit the game" and in the end only chose camos "that fit historically" (maybe not the ugly wail thingy)

thats why i wish they would have said so in the first place.

i saw just few "ahistorical" suggestions which cought my eye (if you consider every dazzle historical...and it is fair to say that the amount of historicity among those dazzle suggestions varies A LOT)

and the first one is quite ahistorical. no warship in 1930's would have such paint job...not to mention number 5

Players
1,576 posts
3,385 battles
31 minutes ago, Gojuadorai said:

but it gives you an advantage in presentaition of said idea and that seems to have mattered a lot.

there are various better ideas in the entries thatn those selcted that seem to not have gotten the attention cause they were hand drawn by "non artists".

since im under the impression the competiton was mainly about creativity and good ideas not about photoshop skills thats a shame

if you think that wg staff isnt able to see good idea and noticed only those who presented themselves the best, then the solution you are seeking is to allow hand-drawn entries only in the future competitions...but still there will be people who can do with crayons better than other people

(btw i have a strong feeling that you are author of some of the hand-drawn entries...)

Players
2,656 posts
14,710 battles
25 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

(btw i have a strong feeling that you are author of some of the hand-drawn entries...)

yes my entrie was hand drawn  and? i put effort in it non the less and ive seen other good ideas hand drawn.

i wouldnt mind not having made it if there was atleast one entry in there that was a good idea but not made with profesional tools

this way it just feels like there wasnt a point in trying and that makes a competition  that was suposed about creativity a competition about skills.

youre awfully judgemental youre basically saying "people with better photoshop skills have automatically  better ideas"

which is imho wrong, you dont nee to be skilled in either painting or computer skills to be creative.

but you do need those to present your idea and all im saying is that this presentation seem to have mattered more than the creative part.

which is sad cause it limits the amount of people that can participate.

you really think out of 1500 (well maybe 750 serious ones) entries  there was not a decent one that was hand drawn?*

*one seems to be hand drawn but with serious artist tools and skills and the scan is def post procesed with shop

Players
1,576 posts
3,385 battles
1 hour ago, Gojuadorai said:

youre awfully judgemental youre basically saying "people with better photoshop skills have automatically  better ideas"

i literally said the very opposite. i was saying right from the start that program wont make good ideas. it seems to me that you are the one who is judgmental. you are saying that wg staff didnt even take the hand-drawn entries into consideration.

1 hour ago, Gojuadorai said:

you really think out of 1500 (well maybe 750 serious ones) entries  there was not a decent one that was hand drawn?*

i didnt see one...but maybe there was.

what about to show the hand-drawn ideas you consider superior to those which were selected?

Players
2,656 posts
14,710 battles
1 minute ago, puxflacet said:

i literally said the very opposite

you defended the fact that there wasnt a good idea that wanst perfectly executed in the pool.

this implies it.

there is no way you can defend the fact hat there were only "perfectly executed" ideas and still maintain the argument that it was about creativity.

illl summ this point up one more time. then im done with it.

(plase realize that this will be only a simplified concept and i trust you to be inteligent enough to interpret the words and not take them by the word as soem do with the bible or koran)

Competitions are fun as long as you can pretend you have a chance at wining (thats why people still play the lottery)

because most cometitions  the oportunity costs are higher than the prizes value.

(i could have bought the roma for the time i put in the entry but thats ok cause it was fun)

but if you know from the start you cant win, this takes the fun out of it.

therefore as a rational beeing you would be better of just buying the prize and spend the time needed for it working.

rendering the competition somewhat obsolete.

all i sugested  is doing the competition in a way that all people that want to submit serious ideas  can still belive in having a chance to win.

as i stated liked the idea of the competition. but for the next competition to be also fun

- i need to have a reason to belive i can win (current selections deny that)

- the criteria for wining need to be either comuicated better or selections need to be more diverse.

i thinkt thats fair and reasonable input.

Players
1,576 posts
3,385 battles
On 20. 12. 2017 at 8:43 PM, Gojuadorai said:

you dont nee to be skilled in either painting or computer skills to be creative

you need to be skilled in some way to realize your idea because this is creative competition and until there will be a way to read minds, people with better skills will have the upper hand in these kind of competitions no matter what kind of execution you will choose. people with more talent and skill will just beat people with less talent and skill - that's how competitions work

Players
1,576 posts
3,385 battles
On 20. 12. 2017 at 7:57 PM, Gojuadorai said:

i found out little surprise for you Gojuadorai. Number 9 was hand-drawn

norman-eis_5a3301b235ff3_large.jpg

shame on me and hats off to this guy

Players
2,656 posts
14,710 battles
On 20.12.2017 at 8:43 PM, Gojuadorai said:

*one seems to be hand drawn but with serious artist tools and skills and the scan is def post procesed with shop

34 minutes ago, puxflacet said:

i found out little surprise for you Gojuadorai. Number 9 was hand-drawn

i told you.... ive seen the immage...

Players
1,576 posts
3,385 battles
2 hours ago, Gojuadorai said:

i told you.... ive seen the immage...

obviously it wasnt processed in any program. he just took a photo of what he drew. it is a good idea and well executed. there isnt anything to complain about. good ideas by themselves wont win any competition, no matter if creative or other. they have to be properly executed as well

Sign in to follow this